ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to Big 10

It’s not about how good a program is it’s about how many TV sets they bring.
Mediocre programs don’t tend to bring many TV sets
The only way the ACC survives this is if they can add Notre Dame, and, in the process, ESPN agrees to restructure the TV deal. It is more likely that the Big Ten adds Stanford and Miami, at at that point Notre Dame just joins because every yearly rival except Navy will be a member. The ACC will dissolve soon after.
There is no scenario in which ND joins the ACC as a full football member. None. That would make no sense for them. If this mega conference realignment trend is all about the money—and it is—the ACC doesn’t stand a chance.

I waver on that. Sometimes it seems that surely he does all this as a goof. Other times it seems like he's deadly serious about some of his ideas.
Noted.

I think SMF really does have a good sense of humor, and goofs a lot on here.

Then there are those posts that are so out there that I think he’s somewhere pushing a Giant Eggle cart around with all of his belongs in it.

There is no scenario in which ND joins the ACC as a full football member. None. That would make no sense for them. If this mega conference realignment trend is all about the money—and it is—the ACC doesn’t stand a chance.
Just what in the he** do you think you’re doing, son??!!!!

We don’t need that INFORMATION here. We only need positive affirmation. Our little feelings can’t take this negative talk.

(Note: This goes for WVU fans on WVU boards as well)

I was one that never thought this stuff would happen this soon. Maybe a decade or 2 but not now. But after nd ad comments a few weeks ago, it was a matter of time. Depending on the gor, it might be a decade before the acc blows up. But it's coming. And so are other moments.
If the acc wants to prolong its life though, uneven revenue distribution and maybe convincing Oregon and Washington to join us could help. But those are short term bandaids.

Yeah. Acc had a very small chance of adding nd before, now it has no chance.

TV sets were 10 years ago. Now it's brand name.

I was one that never thought this stuff would happen this soon. Maybe a decade or 2 but not now. But after nd ad comments a few weeks ago, it was a matter of time. Depending on the gor, it might be a decade before the acc blows up. But it's coming. And so are other moments.
If the acc wants to prolong its life though, uneven revenue distribution and maybe convincing Oregon and Washington to join us could help. But those are short term bandaids.
I wonder if the commissioner still thinks moving the conference offices to Charlotte will make any difference?

Honest question….who is worthy of uneven revenue distribution in ACC? I honestly wouldn’t even have the first idea who would qualify for greater shares. The ACC is the one conference (prior to OUT leaving XII) that doesn’t have a powerhouse institution.

Value isn’t derived from on field success. Even if that was the case, there isn’t a program that would qualify except maybe Clemson due to its nice 5-7 year run….but that’s debatable….

Honest question….who is worthy of uneven revenue distribution in ACC? I honestly wouldn’t even have the first idea who would qualify for greater shares. The ACC is the one conference (prior to OUT leaving XII) that doesn’t have a powerhouse institution.

Value isn’t derived from on field success. Even if that was the case, there isn’t a program that would qualify except maybe Clemson due to its nice 5-7 year run….but that’s debatable….
The ones with the most value.

Imo fsu, Clemson and unc would be top. Maybe Miami as well. They would be the schools you have to keep the happiest to keep the conference viable.

I’m in your camp.

The NIL, quasi pro direction college football was heading in before this announcement was turning me off. A lot.

I’m not a fan of pro sports anymore, and I don’t want to watch college games with players switching schools annually. Or mega conference conglomerates that don’t resemble anything traditional.
Count me in this camp as well. I find this whole thing to be a sad travesty. Burning down college football as the unique, tradition rich institution that it had been for about 120 years, for money.

I can’t imagine how anyone that considers himself a fan of the game could possibly be OK with this.

Last edited:
The ones with the most value.

Imo fsu, Clemson and unc would be top. Maybe Miami as well. They would be the schools you have to keep the happiest to keep the conference viable.
Relative value shouldn’t be a determinant for appeasing members. Absolute value is all that matters. You’d be UNC’s bi**h?

Huh.

I could understand if you had a Texas, Ohio St or other program that truly moves the financial needle in terms of TV dollars.

Relative value shouldn’t be a determinant for appeasing members. Absolute value is all that matters. You’d be UNC’s bi**h?

Huh.

I could understand if you had a Texas, Ohio St or other program that truly moves the financial needle in terms of TV dollars.

It's either that or they are gone and you make even less. Outside of those 4, no one else has the leverage they do.

They may not be Texas or osu value, but they do bring value.

You all said the same thing about Pitt before the ACC. Real question. Other than the fact Clemson is good in football, what TV market do they have? And throwing all these other names like NC state, what do they or VT bring that Pitt doesnt?

I don't think location matters as much as some people. It's about creating compelling matchups that drive TV viewership.

Locking down states is an old school thought process. You're probably going to ultimately see some type of subscription based service on top of the standard network games.

Think about the SEC. What exactly are they locking down nationwide, and has it hurt their revenue?

True, but Notre Dame is not an AAU school. They are an outstanding school with a good academic reputation, but they do not have a medical school and concentrate on undergraduate education and not research - thus they do not have the AAU designation.

But the Big10 has been after them for 70 years, and if ND said they wanted to be a member - the Big10 would great them with open arms and a huge smile on their faces. That is what having a huge fan base and a great brand can do for you.

At that point, we might as well try to re-join the Big East and go independent for football. At least that’s what I would like to see because, in my opinion, there’d be no point in joining a hodgepodge leftover conference just to satisfy football.
We won't go independent. Pitt can't stand on its own and not become a UConn. And the Big East likely wouldn't take us back. There'd probably be some very good hoops programs in that hodge-podge, like Kansas, Syracuse, WVU, Wake, Baylor, Louisville, maybe NC State or Duke. It would be better than the Big East, competitively.

Last edited:

The passive aggression is too obvious with this one. Clemson would kick the titties off any Big 12 program most, or all, of those years. It's not a maybe.

I read that Notre Dame would actually make more money as an ACC member than they do now. Not sure how that's true with NBC, but assuming it is... what could be done to attract them? Because that would have to be one of the few things we can do to entice Clemson to stay (and even that probably wouldn't be enough). Find a way to add ND and WVU.
ND is going to buy its way out of the ACC contracts and will likely join the Big Ten.

In the world of P2, schools want to be part of them, the Tier One level of football.

A Big Ten as a national conference stretching from New Jersey to California, one that has Southern Cal in it and will pay ND over $100 million a year, is much more palatable to ND than before.

Reactions: ThePanthers
ND is going to buy its way out of the ACC contracts and will likely join the Big Ten.

In the world of P2, schools want to be part of them, the Tier One level of football.

A Big Ten as a national conference stretching from New Jersey to California, one that has Southern Cal in it and will pay ND over $100 million a year, is much more palatable to ND than before.
Well we will see shortly as this is snowballing fast

Agree with this.

F
If Oregon and Washington stay in the Pac 12 for now, then the Big 12 is getting poached and WV is headed to the AAC.
Or the time being a decade from now I don't see any conferences like we have now I think they (big 2) will take what they want and stop for a bit but eventually they can't keep the Vanderbilt's,Indiana's and Rutgers they will get rid of them and leave the NCAA to form a semi pro league

F

Or the time being a decade from now I don't see any conferences like we have now I think they (big 2) will take what they want and stop for a bit but eventually they can't keep the Vanderbilt's,Indiana's and Rutgers they will get rid of them and leave the NCAA to form a semi pro league
They'll keep those schools around, the elite schools are always going to want some gimmie conference wins.

The passive aggression is too obvious with this one. Clemson would kick the titties off any Big 12 program most, or all, of those years. It's not a maybe.
Huh?? Passive aggression?

I get it that Pitt fans are appropriately nervous but you don’t have to assume I’m attacking or trying to put one over with every question. It’s a legit question.

Clemson’s football merit is irrelevant to the value they bring to TV partners/carriers.

Texas has literally been average for nearly 15 years and is miles ahead of Clemson. THAT is a program that you allow to make greater sums of money. Ohio St is a program you allow to make greater sums of money. USC as well.

The ACC doesn’t have that program. No since in throwing out any names from that conference.

Huh?? Passive aggression?

I get it that Pitt fans are appropriately nervous but you don’t have to assume I’m attacking or trying to put one over with every question. It’s a legit question.

Clemson’s football merit is irrelevant to the value they bring to TV partners/carriers.

Texas has literally been average for nearly 15 years and is miles ahead of Clemson. THAT is a program that you allow to make greater sums of money. Ohio St is a program you allow to make greater sums of money. USC as well.

The ACC doesn’t have that program. No since in throwing out any names from that conference.

I agree on Texas being a much more valuable than Clemson. However, you didn't leave it at that. You said this:

"Value isn’t derived from on field success. Even if that was the case, there isn’t a program that would qualify except maybe Clemson due to its nice 5-7 year run….but that’s debatable…."

They are 89-10 over that span and have played in four national championships, winning two, and made the College Football Playoff six years in a row. So, if indeed that was a determining factor, Clemson is behind literally one team and one team only.

I agree on Texas being a much more valuable than Clemson. However, you didn't leave it at that. You said this:

"Value isn’t derived from on field success. Even if that was the case, there isn’t a program that would qualify except maybe Clemson due to its nice 5-7 year run….but that’s debatable…."

They are 89-10 over that span and have played in four national championships, winning two, and made the College Football Playoff six years in a row. So, if indeed that was a determining factor, Clemson is behind literally one team and one team only.
It’s debatable not because of that 5-7 year run.

It’s debatable because that 5-7 year run may be the exception.

For all of the gloom and doom and cathartic pronouncements, can someone explain why ESPN would let anyone in the ACC break their contract, at least in the next 5-7 years, to pay them more to play elsewhere or let Fox do it? It's apparent that Fox did this to try to counter ESPN with UT and OSU. I can't imagine ESPN allowing their inventory to be depleted or fiddled with. The ACC isn't going anywhere for at least a little while. There is plenty of time to figure it out.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yeah. Acc had a very small chance of adding nd before, now it has no chance.

TV sets were 10 years ago. Now it's brand name.
If it's solely brand name then we should expect the bottom dwellers in the SEC and Big 10 to get kicked out soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT