ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to Big 10

Boggles the mind this amount of money ...
The NFL is getting 10 billion/year for year and has 30 teams. It seems realistic that the Big Ten can get 1.6 billion/year for 16 teams or $100 million/year per team. Meanwhile, the ACC, which never goes to the open market is getting about $20 million per year per team. On the open market, today, the ACC would be worth about 75% as much as the Big Ten but they're only going to be getting 20% as much because they are idiots.

We need to merk the Big 12 before the Big 12 merks the PAC 12. Assuming the Big 10 takes like four more (Oregon, Washington... maybe Colorado and Utah) from out west, the Big 12 is going to scoop up the Arizona schools and perhaps the remaining California schools (and/or California and Utah). Then, if a few top ACC schools leave, we're backfilling with freaking Memphis, Temple, etc. and become the old Big East. Can't let that happen. Be proactive and go get WVU and a few more while we're still appealing to them. Might not matter either way.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Here’s a wild idea: is there a scenario where they agree to a scheduling agreement with both the Big Ten and SEC while returning to the Big East for everything else? It allows them to maintain their “independence” while dipping into several different revenue streams.
All I know is once the dust settles and Pitt is left out of the Big 10 and SEC, they'll end up joining some crap new conference with other leftover schools.

And watch people on here try to spin that and claim how great it is for Pitt and its not bad at all, etc...

People on here will try and convince themselves Pitt made out okay but it won't be truthful. In a couple of years Pitt is gonna be relegated to 3rd tier status in a meaningless conference that nobody cares about. And that is utterly depressing. And Lyke will bail soon too. Watch.

Reactions: Las Panteras
UVA brings nothing more to the table than Pitt, and I'm not so sure UNC is very high on anyone's list.

It's all about football and potential matchups. UCLA tagged along with USC, otherwise nobody would care about them either.
UVA would bring less than Pitt for football, more than Pitt in most other categories. It’s a top 4 public university. But it appears that football marketability is all that matters in this shameful money grab.

UVA would bring less than Pitt for football, more than Pitt in most other categories. It’s a top 4 public university. But it appears that football marketability is all that matters in this shameful money grab.
UVA and UNC are both fine. They will end up in the P2.

As will Oregon, ND, Clemson, Miami and FSU. Those are certainties.

Remember when some thought the idea of paying players hurt the “integrity” of college football .
That was quaint

All I know is once the dust settles and Pitt is left out of the Big 10 and SEC, they'll end up joining some crap new conference with other leftover schools.

And watch people on here try to spin that and claim how great it is for Pitt and its not bad at all, etc...

People on here will try and convince themselves Pitt made out okay but it won't be truthful. In a couple of years Pitt is gonna be relegated to 3rd tier status in a meaningless conference that nobody cares about. And that is utterly depressing. And Lyke will bail soon too. Watch.

again, from the other thread, what is your point? There was no other option, the B10 was never going to happen. And now, the SEC is a better chance than the B10, and only if a traditional southern conference decides it wants to have a presence north of the mason dixon line.

Reactions: BTisinDC
It'll have a huge viewership in the world's number one media market... And that's what this is all about.... Large AAU, high academic schools and location, location, location.
Yeah…..HUUUUGE viewership!!!!!

gtfoh-go-away.gif

It'll have a huge viewership in the world's number one media market... And that's what this is all about.... Large AAU, high academic schools and location, location, location.
Now I have to question Rutgers fan’s knowledge about anything related to college football.

That is one of the more misguided posts on this site in a long time. That’s saying something, considering the WVU fan posts we’ve had lately.

gtfoh-go-away.gif
Hey, sometimes I like to tune in to Rutgers games when I see on the ticker that they are getting demolished (which is most weeks). Kind of like when you hear fire whistles one the next block and you rush over to see. Or in sports terms, when your buddy texts you that the Pirates are getting no-hit (again, pretty much a weekly occurrence) and you turn it on. You flip on the RU game wondering “Can they give up 70 again?” Ratings are ratings.

Along the same lines, Pitt games may not have crowds to crow about, but our games do well in broadcasts. Of course that’s as much because there are not one but two schools whose fans psychotically hate Pitt, and they watch hoping we’ll lose. But again, ratings are ratings.

Last edited:
So a basketball team now has to travel from

And pity the hapless basketball team that has to fly from LA to State College or Rutgers for a Wednesday night basketball game. Not that college athletes have any pretension of academics anyway.

And the costs for non-revenue sports will be astronomical. I hope those schools have fun flying their softball and tennis teams across the country.
When they are making 100 million a year on media rights their athletes will be traveling in style.

Now I have to question Rutgers fan’s knowledge about anything related to college football.

That is one of the more misguided posts on this site in a long time. That’s saying something, considering the WVU fan posts we’ve had lately.
Rutgers brought in $180 mill annually to the B1G of new $$ just from the Yankee Entertainment Sports Network (YES) alone. And that's just one of three networks in the New York metro area that carry the B1G network once Rutgers got in the B1G.

When they are making 100 million a year on media rights their athletes will be traveling in style.

Rutgers is the college football equivalent of Billy Ray Valentine who never figured out how to corner the juice future markets.

Enjoy your perpetually terrible football program.

I didn't realize Rutgers was in the big ten. I thought they dropped to FCS and all the big ten schools hired them as a rent a win for homecoming.

Rutgers and Maryland were very good deals at the time for the Big Ten. It’s impossible to argue otherwise.

Now in a future world where media markets as a whole matter a little less? It then becomes debatable.

Rutgers brought in $180 mill annually to the B1G of new $$ just from the Yankee Entertainment Sports Network (YES) alone. And that's just one of three networks in the New York metro area that carry the B1G network once Rutgers got in the B1G.
lol, yeah...Rutgers did that...

edit: Please show a single source showing that the YES network adds $180million in television distributions to B1G schools. I"ll be especially interested to see the figures starting in 2014/15 when $180 million would have been 57% of the total distributions to B1G Ten members.

Last edited:
I remember when you all left the Big East for dead and happily went to the ACC along with BC, Cuse, VT and Mami. And now your locked into a horrible deal by Swofford and we've got a full share seat at the B1G table....it's called karma boys.

Last edited:
I remember when you all left the Big East for the ACC along with BC, Cuse, VT and Mami. And now your locked into a horrible deal by Swofford and we've got a full share seat at the B1G table....it's called karma boys.
How can you be happy that Rutgers still sucks balls at football? Regardless of the money the school gets from it’s conference.

As a fan, winning should be the important thing.

Or, have you just resigned yourself to the fact that Rutgers football will always be the butt of a joke, and the beeonegee money is the closest thing you have to winning, that you’ve lowered the bar from winning football games to conference payouts?

Kind of like the Miami fan who visits our site clings to recruiting rankings instead of game wins. Every year.

Reactions: singregardless
Your full of crap 💩 and making stuff up

How can you be happy that Rutgers still sucks balls at football? Regardless of the money the school gets from it’s conference.

As a fan, winning should be the important thing.

Or, have you just resigned yourself to the fact that Rutgers football will always be the butt of a joke, and the beeonegee money is the closest thing you have to winning, that you’ve lowered the bar from winning football games to conference payouts?

Kind of like the Miami fan who visits our site clings to recruiting rankings instead of game wins. Every year.
When Schiano left for one of 32 jobs in the NFL the school was cheap and hired 2 s***** coaches. Now that Schianos back it'll be a slow and steady climb. Lastly tell me what Pitt record would be playing Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State in the same division every year. Those would be 4 guaranteed losses every year.... guaranteed.

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
When Schiano left for one of 32 jobs in the NFL the school was cheap and hired 2 s***** coaches. Now that Schianos back it'll be a slow and steady climb. Lastly tell me what Pitt record would be playing Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State in the same division every year. Those would be 4 guaranteed losses every year.... guaranteed.
It's okay to admit that Rutgers is shit. Because it is. If the money is all you have to be happy about, then I guess you have something. Be an optimist.

I think Pitt would hold it's own with those schools year in and out. OSU is the only one you listed that Pitt would have a hard time beating with any frequency.

It's easy to guarantee something that is subjective.

Rutgers sucking at football isn't subjective.

It's okay to admit that Rutgers is shit. Because it is. If the money is all you have to be happy about, then I guess you have something. Be an optimist.

I think Pitt would hold it's own with those schools year in and out. OSU is the only one you listed that Pitt would have a hard time beating with any frequency.

It's easy to guarantee something that is subjective.

Rutgers sucking at football isn't subjective.
Have fun playing in a tier 2 conference...you guys will do great.

Have fun playing in a tier 2 conference...you guys will do great.
I’ll take the high road and say I hope Rutgers can turn it around in the Big Ten. Never had a problem with them in the Big East and you’re one of only a few northeast teams competing in the “power 2” now.

That’s what I thought. You have nothing. Enjoy supporting a loser; I think it fits you.
Final Rankings from Dearfield D1 Directors Cup Standings for fall '21 thru spring '22 incorporating D1 universities sports teams.

Rutgers 48
Pitt 73

Every B1G University ranked higher than Pitt including newbies USC and UCLA. Tell me about sucking balls and supporting a loser in college sports boyz.

Lastly, I've always held Pitt in high regard and hope you guys end up in a much better position than Syracuse, WV or BC, which you deserve.

I’ll take the high road and say I hope Rutgers can turn it around in the Big Ten. Never had a problem with them in the Big East and you’re one of only a few northeast teams competing in the “power 2” now.
Thanks I've always held Piit in high regard especially academically, certainly in higher regard than some of the posters on this board that can stand the fact that Rutgers is in the B1G.

Riggghhhht.

Final Rankings from Dearfield D1 Directors Cup Standings for fall '21 thru spring '22 incorporating D1 universities sports teams.

Rutgers 48
Pitt 73

Every B1G University ranked higher than Pitt including newbies USC and UCLA. Tell me about sucking balls and supporting a loser in college sports boyz.

Lastly, I've always held Pitt in high regard and hope you guys end up in a much better position than Syracuse, WV or BC, which you deserve.
I’m a football fan, and this is a Pitt football message board.

And, it’s Learfield, not Dearfield; but I’m sure you knew that, right?

Thanks I've always held Piit in high regard especially academically, certainly in higher regard than some of the posters on this board that can stand the fact that Rutgers is in the B1G.
Look, no one cared that Rutgers made it into the Big 10 until the Big 10 looked like it was becoming one of only 2 viable power conferences and Pitt started looking like it was going to be screwed out of a place in the hierarchy of college athletics solely to the timing and circumstances of its conference affiliation. In fact, when Pitt was invited to the B12, and subsequently the ACC, Pitt tried to bring WVU and Rutgers with it. They were the three schools that saw eye-to-eye regarding football in the Big East and had been working together to try to strengthen things. But no one has any delusions of the comparative athletic histories of the two schools, to the idea that Rutgers will be included among a top echelon of college athletics, when Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia (and heck, even BC) may not be, well, that is tough for a lot of people to square based on their respective athletic histories.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

Look, no one cared that Rutgers made it into the Big 10 until the Big 10 looked like it was becoming one of only 2 viable power conferences and Pitt started looking like it was going to be screwed out of a place in the hierarchy of college athletics solely to the timing and circumstances of its conference affiliation. In fact, when Pitt was invited to the B12, and subsequently the ACC, Pitt tried to bring WVU and Rutgers with it. They were the three schools that saw eye-to-eye regarding football in the Big East and had been working together to try to strengthen things. But no one has any delusions of the comparative athletic histories of the two schools, to the idea that Rutgers will be included among a top echelon of college athletics, when Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia (and heck, even BC) may not be, well, that is tough for a lot of people to square based on their respective athletic histories.
Understood. But it's all about next year and the future (not past history) and how much each new school being considered for conference expansion brings to the table financially through media rights. That's the new paradigm and yes I agree that Rutgers stepped in s*** as the only p5 university within 35 miles of Manhattan (# 1 media market in the world) and 65 miles to Philly (#4 media market in the country). In comparison Pittsburgh is the #26 media market in the country.

Understood. But it's all about next year and the future (not past history) and how much each new school being considered for conference expansion brings to the table financially through media rights. That's the new paradigm and yes I agree that Rutgers stepped in s*** as the only p5 university within 35 miles of Manhattan (# 1 media market in the world) and 65 miles to Philly (#4 media market in the country). In comparison Pittsburgh is the #26 media market in the country.
Love the high school stadium you play in with the bench seats and red paint over everything......looks like a high school trying too hard to make the other team think they are serious! bush league!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT