ADVERTISEMENT

Vader Recruiting: Top returning talent in the ACC and Next Years Team

Thank you. That’s what I’ve been waiting on.
For the record I do wish Trey Mcgowens good luck with his new team. He should get plenty of playing time joining his new team that finished this season on a 17 game losing streak this year. He should get plenty of playing time without much challenge.

I also greatly look forward to watching Horton. In 2 years Mcgowens helped Pitt win 9 total regular season ACC games. I am grateful for his contributions and watching him play here to help turn Pitt around. But I echo our head Coach in Jeff Capel and his comments with Horton as I do think next year we have a very strong chance at winning over 9 ACC games and taking the program up a level without Mcgowens.
I look forward to watching Horton too, but not at the expense of dogging a player who came to us as a 17 yr old player without taking a visit when he could have chosen better schools with a better supporting cast. Trying to convince everyone how bad Trey was in his final year to prove a point using ORTG shows very little class and I’m not convinced you wish him well based on your slanted comments. Good luck to Trey and kill the Big 10. Hopefully, similar to the success of Carr.

I look forward to watching Horton too, but not at the expense of dogging a player who came to us as a 17 yr old player without taking a visit when he could have chosen better schools with a better supporting cast. Trying to convince everyone how bad Trey was in his final year using OTRG shows very little class and I’m not convinced you wish him well based on your slanted comments. Good luck to Trey and kill the Big 10. Hopefully, similar to the success of Carr.

He clearly doesn't wish him well or he wouldn't throw in stupid comments about Nebraska's losing streak or imply that there isn't much challenge playing for a P5 program. There are numerous legitimate reasons to think we're better off with Horton, but this guy just comes off like some bitter ex trying to justify why he's totes better off with the new bird. It's a bad look.

Parker Stewart averaged that on an 0-18 team. Averaging 10 points on a team that goes 0-18 means nothing. Averaging 10 points on a good team means you’re a good solid player. It boggles my mind that people think that’s a slight.

I just cannot imagine how you can be left off 3 All CAA teams and become the best scorer in the ACC in 3 months. I mean... you guys know the CAA sucks right
Guess what ? We will see in a few months whose right . Right now I’ll choose to believe what his coach and pg think of his game than you !

Actually on a team that sucks I’d think it would be harder to score because who else needed guarded !

He clearly doesn't wish him well or he wouldn't throw in stupid comments about Nebraska's losing streak or imply that there isn't much challenge playing for a P5 program. There are numerous legitimate reasons to think we're better off with Horton, but this guy just comes off like some bitter ex trying to justify why he's totes better off with the new bird. It's a bad look.

Exacltly. @Vader_Storm can’t make one post without his BS slant.

You can’t slam Nebraska for having a 17 game losing streak when you’re talking about Pitt only winning 9 ACC games over two years in the same post.

Guess what ? We will see in a few months whose right . Right now I’ll choose to believe what his coach and pg think of his game than you !

Actually on a team that sucks I’d think it would be harder to score because who else needed guarded !
Surprising. Believe the coach and player who only have watched him practice vs someone who knows how bad the CAA is first hand. Makes sense.

The irony of believing a kid is terrific off practice beating the kid who everyone is dumping on..

Reactions: panther4life32
We’ve come in last place in the ACC 4 straight years. That’s actually hard to do.

And if we’re being honest, Trey going to Nebraska to play for a coach with great success with transfers, an exciting offensive system, and NBA experience makes a hell of a lot more sense than when he picked Pitt and Capel coming off 0-18.

Also, I owe @Seneca_Valley an apology. While I still think he’s a Sean Miller fanboy who won’t admit he’s an overrated coach, I gave him a ton of grief for following Carr’s success at Minnesota.

I apologize man. I get it. And I’ll be here in two years starting threads after every big game Trey has.

I did wish him well. I also said playing time was a part of the decision which it clearly was.

Look, Trey Mcgowens had other offers on the table when he committed to Pitt and when he committed to Nebraska. He chose an 0-19 historically bad Pitt team and a 2-18 Nebraska team. He chose the path of least resistance for playing time twice regardless of his other reasons. He chose 2 teams with clearly open starter minutes against zero competition. Those are facts.

You don't see me making negative comments about Ryan Murphy transferring or his play this year. Or about how "bad" Ryan was this year. Because Ryan was average this year and about what was expected for preseason expectations. Considering the concussion he did ok. Ryan's efficiency numbers were just fine considering the injury.

I commend Trey for picking Pitt the first time. That took guts. That doesnt take away from the fact he was a very poor basketball player that was not efficient in any way, shape, or form this year and was a huge part of our problem.

It also doesnt take away from the fact Trey's reluctance to pass the basketball to certain players including Ryan Murphy this year. If I created a video of this you may be floored by his unwillingness to pass to certain teammates. It was a consistent problem that no stat metric is going to show.

I also never said anything about the kids heart. Although I clearly question his mental toughness when he verbally states that social media is effecting him.

At the end of the day, it is Jeff Capel providing the most hype and juice with Ithiel Horton. And it was Corey Evans who runs rivals.com verbally saying he attended the Pitt practices this year where Horton was out working and significantly outplaying our guards. People on this website have a problem with what I write in regards to Horton but say nothing to the guy running this website or to our head coach, a site they pay money for. I have my own resources that are far above Corey Evans but that is irrelevant.

If you think for 1 second Horton wasnt putting a huge dent in Trey's minutes next year then that is on you. Im just going to say I told you so at a later point in time about Horton. I posted 2 videos of Ithiel Horton nailing 3's with conviction a clear 5+ foot behind the 3 point line when he was at Delaware.

I did wish him well. I also said playing time was a part of the decision which it clearly was.

Look, Trey Mcgowens had other offers on the table when he committed to Pitt and when he committed to Nebraska. He chose an 0-19 historically bad Pitt team and a 2-18 Nebraska team. He chose the path of least resistance for playing time twice regardless of his other reasons. He chose 2 teams with clearly open starter minutes against zero competition. Those are facts.

You don't see me making negative comments about Ryan Murphy transferring or his play this year. Or about how "bad" Ryan was this year. Because Ryan was average this year and about what was expected for preseason expectations. Considering the concussion he did ok. Ryan's efficiency numbers were just fine considering the injury.

I commend Trey for picking Pitt the first time. That took guts. That doesnt take away from the fact he was a very poor basketball player that was not efficient in any way, shape, or form this year and was a huge part of our problem.

It also doesnt take away from the fact Trey's reluctance to pass the basketball to certain players including Ryan Murphy this year. If I created a video of this you may be floored by his unwillingness to pass to certain teammates. It was a consistent problem that no stat metric is going to show.

I also never said anything about the kids heart. Although I clearly question his mental toughness when he verbally states that social media is effecting him.

At the end of the day, it is Jeff Capel providing the most hype and juice with Ithiel Horton. And it was Corey Evans who runs rivals.com verbally saying he attended the Pitt practices this year where Horton was out working and significantly outplaying our guards. People on this website have a problem with what I write in regards to Horton but say nothing to the guy running this website or to our head coach, a site they pay money for. I have my own resources that are far above Corey Evans but that is irrelevant.

If you think for 1 second Horton wasnt putting a huge dent in Trey's minutes next year then that is on you. Im just going to say I told you so at a later point in time about Horton. I posted 2 videos of Ithiel Horton nailing 3's with conviction a clear 5+ foot behind the 3 point line when he was at Delaware.
I saw every player at some point in time, look selfish and only pass to certain players so that will not surprise me at all. I watched those plays live. Your commentary does sound a lot like Dokish though. You give Murphy and a few others a pass but no one else. Mmmm.

Besides whatever the #s say, when a team switched to zone, all the life gets zapped from Trey.
He looked like a ghost. Ive never seen a player look so defeated, everytime from a coaching adjustment.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Besides whatever the #s say, when a team switched to zone, all the life gets zapped from Trey.
He looked like a ghost. Ive never seen a player look so defeated, everytime from a coaching adjustment.
I only saw the ghost looks vs Syracuse’s zone but he definitely didn’t look comfortable.

Last edited:
Surprising. Believe the coach and player who only have watched him practice vs someone who knows how bad the CAA is first hand. Makes sense.

The irony of believing a kid is terrific off practice beating the kid who everyone is dumping on..
So I guess we all should take your opinions over his coach and a guy he goes up against him everyday in practice ?

Reciting the facts isn’t dumping on Trey . He had a very disappointing sophomore year offensively. His defense wasn’t the problem .

I remember hearing about a pg that was ineligible that was destroying everyone in practice ...his name was Carl Krauser .

Of course you’ll bring up Ellison being a world beater in practice , but he was a disappointment at St Johns and the man touting him was a desperate KS and players better suited for D2 .

Your entitled to your opinion and until JC loses his credibility I’ll stick with him .

I look forward to watching Horton too, but not at the expense of dogging a player who came to us as a 17 yr old player without taking a visit when he could have chosen better schools with a better supporting cast. Trying to convince everyone how bad Trey was in his final year to prove a point using ORTG shows very little class and I’m not convinced you wish him well based on your slanted comments. Good luck to Trey and kill the Big 10. Hopefully, similar to the success of Carr.
McGowens. He didn’t want to be here. It showed.

This post is absolutely nonsensical. There is nothing noble about committing to a better program where you have to fight for playing time just as there's nothing ignoble about choosing a lesser program where you'll receive guaranteed minutes. The NBA doesn't care about how bad your team is if you produce and there are valid arguments to be made for which approach actually benefits a player the most. Instead, you've reduced that complex discussion to "Trey chose the path of least resistance, which implies a character flaw". Truly a garbage take.

You ever stop to think that he might have simply chosen two charismatic basketball coaches to play for? Capel and Hoiberg are both guys who completely change a program's dynamic vis a vis how attractive it is to recruits. Maybe Trey is a guy who responds to that more than your average player. Maybe he just wants easy minutes because he believes that's the best way to improve. There are dozens of possibilities, but you've arbitrarily chosen the one that makes him look bad. When you do that, you don't get to say "those are facts" and act like the basis of your argument is anything more than mere supposition, influenced by your own bias.

Admittedly, I enjoyed how you closed with a strawman. If I think for one second blah blah blah. Sister, please, I've been on board the "Horton is a better fit" train since day one. If you have your own sources that are "far above Corey Evans" and you still post this kind of drivel, what does that say about you as an individual?

I mean, it's not like he went up against a NBA draft pick in that conference...

Last edited:
I saw every player at some point in time, look selfish and only pass to certain players so that will not surprise me at all. I watched those plays live. Your commentary does sound a lot like Dokish though. You give Murphy and a few others a pass but no one else. Mmmm.

LOL ... just got a chuckle out of your "sounds like Dokish" comment.

Otherwise, since we've never exchanged thoughts (at least not with this handle), I just wanted to show my appreciation of your contributions to this thread and others. Since you could be relatively new to this board, I look forward to reading what else you have to add.

Malik Ellison was also the best player and unstoppable in practice the season he sat out and that was reported by multiple ppl. That didn't turn out so well. So I think waiting to see if Horton is going to be as elite as you think right away this year is a good idea.

Malik Ellison was also the best player and unstoppable in practice the season he sat out and that was reported by multiple ppl. That didn't turn out so well. So I think waiting to see if Horton is going to be as elite as you think right away this year is a good idea.

I never bought what the staff said about Ellison because I watched him play twice at St. John's and I absolutely KNEW what we were getting with him. In fact. I didn't even really want to take him in the first place.

I feel pretty comfortable that Horton is a much better player than Ellison. But I do think it's much wiser to not get too caught up in making bold predictions about where he could end up until we see how he matches up at this level first.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if he can match Trey's 11 PPG, while shooting from three much more consistently from deep than Trey (which he should be able to do). If so, this should make us a better team than last year.

The difference was Ellison practice against all freshmen that were bad so that wouldn't be a good caparison. Horton was at least going against X and Trey and Trey was known to be a pretty good Defender. IJS so carry on!

Reactions: BPKY
Hey ... wait a minute!!! You are WRONG. We have NOT come in last place 4 straight years.

We came in NEXT to last in 2016-2017.

So there's that!
I think I blacked out the Stallings years completely. I remember actually trying to GIVE him players and his staff being so inept they forgot my name... ugh.

Reactions: Ski11585
yep... pretty much what I’ve tried to say. I’d much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

This post is absolutely nonsensical. There is nothing noble about committing to a better program where you have to fight for playing time just as there's nothing ignoble about choosing a lesser program where you'll receive guaranteed minutes. The NBA doesn't care about how bad your team is if you produce and there are valid arguments to be made for which approach actually benefits a player the most. Instead, you've reduced that complex discussion to "Trey chose the path of least resistance, which implies a character flaw". Truly a garbage take.

You ever stop to think that he might have simply chosen two charismatic basketball coaches to play for? Capel and Hoiberg are both guys who completely change a program's dynamic vis a vis how attractive it is to recruits. Maybe Trey is a guy who responds to that more than your average player. Maybe he just wants easy minutes because he believes that's the best way to improve. There are dozens of possibilities, but you've arbitrarily chosen the one that makes him look bad. When you do that, you don't get to say "those are facts" and act like the basis of your argument is anything more than mere supposition, influenced by your own bias.

Admittedly, I enjoyed how you closed with a strawman. If I think for one second blah blah blah. Sister, please, I've been on board the "Horton is a better fit" train since day one. If you have your own sources that are "far above Corey Evans" and you still post this kind of drivel, what does that say about you as an individual?

This joker says he has better sources than Corey?!?

This board is going be so entertaining next season, when Horton scores 5 pts one game, and misses most of his 3's, and then has 20 something one game when he hits a bunch.
Looking forward to the reactionaries reactions.

These are the last 3 games of Ithiel Horton's freshmen season. Justin Wright Foreman is the kid who was selected in the 2nd round from Hofstra. Horton was matched up against him from time to time in these games. Foreman posted 29 points against NC State and 27 against a Top 10 Maryland that season before being drafted in the NBA. Horton played against his team 3 times that season.

Ithiel Horton made 17 three pointers the last 3 games of his freshmen season in these videos below, 2 of those games which was against Foreman who was drafted in the NBA 2nd round.

As you see in the videos, Horton is far behind the 3 point line in many of his shots and he makes them both off the bounce and off the catch and shoot. Zones will be punished next year with his long range accuracy shooting. Watching one player make 17 three pointers over the course of his last 3 games of the season is certainly worthwhile. Horton's point totals were 21, 26, and 26. Foreman, the kid you will see Horton matched up against, was from Queens NY, another underrated NY'r. He was 2nd in the entire country in 2019 after scoring over 27 points per game.

It's the dark side for sure.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
And if we’re being honest, Trey going to Nebraska to play for a coach with great success with transfers, an exciting offensive system, and NBA experience makes a hell of a lot more sense than when he picked Pitt and Capel coming off 0-18.

I was actually very happy for Trey - because he clearly made a good choice on his new school, and chose it for the right reasons. If he's ever going to be a pro - he needs to play point guard.

It all really quite simple, and understandable.

Quite the basketball poem there....

This board is going be so entertaining next season, when Horton scores 5 pts one game, and misses most of his 3's, and then has 20 something one game when he hits a bunch.
Looking forward to the reactionaries reactions.

It's going to be glorious for sure. Fot the record, I think he's good for at least 13ppg.

Reactions: Drew1208
Yeah ill keep it around 10-13

@BballinsiderfromPitt suggested 8-10 PPG, and therefore I'd suggest that we put his range into the mix was well. So let's say 8-13 PPG, which means between 10-11 PPG is smack dab in the middle.

I think what we should also note that if Horton comes in here and averages 10.5- 11 PPG, this is a GREAT THING!! As fans, we all want things to happen more quickly and in a bigger way. But if HC Capel was able to snag a Colonial Conference Guard who averaged 13PPG in that league who was able to come in here and seize a starting spot good enough to average 11 ppg in the ACC, this should be considered an absolute coup!

I know many are thinking he'll even do better than this. Personally, although I'm cautious to get on board with such thoughts at this stage, but I'm hopeful for sure.

@BballinsiderfromPitt suggested 8-10 PPG, and therefore I'd suggest that we put his range into the mix was well. So let's say 8-13 PPG, which means between 10-11 PPG is smack dab in the middle.

I think what we should also note that if Horton comes in here and averages 10.5- 11 PPG, this is a GREAT THING!! As fans, we all want things to happen more quickly and in a bigger way. But if HC Capel was able to snag a Colonial Conference Guard who averaged 13PPG in that league who was able to come in here and seize a starting spot good enough to average 11 ppg in the ACC, this should be considered an absolute coup!

I know many are thinking he'll even do better than this. Personally, although I'm cautious to get on board with such thoughts at this stage, but I'm hopeful for sure.
DT we're all dying for some Pitt hoops.
Can't wait for the 1st Dribbles.

Reactions: panther4life32

DT--As you may have seen--I did a mathematical analysis--with plenty of guesswork assumptions--including reducing the number of shots Horton took at Delaware from 349 to 340 to be closer to the 338 McGowens took last season. I then assumed that Horton's FG shooting percentages dropped from what he had at Delaware presuming that ACC defenders are better and that the 3-point line is further out than when he was at Delaware.

Bottom line was he predicted 12.76 ppg vs McGowens' 12.5 last season.

Based on that semi-analytical WAG, IMHO 8 ppg is probably too low. On the other hand 14-15 points is too high, IMO, unless Horton shoots the same percentages he did at Delaware from longer distance and vs better defenders---or gets to shoot a higher volume of shots than he took at Delaware.

Last edited:
I was actually very happy for Trey - because he clearly made a good choice on his new school, and chose it for the right reasons. If he's ever going to be a pro - he needs to play point guard.

It all really quite simple, and understandable.
From what I’ve seen for 2 yrs Trey has as close to zero percent chance of playing pg in the NBA . His only shot is if he learns to shoot !

Come on guys. This quarantine is driving us all nuts. We’re splitting hairs here. Who cares who’s right.

We need to get better as a team. Horton has skills that can make us better, only in the context of being a better team. He’s no sure fire NBA pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT