ADVERTISEMENT

Vader's Midseason Review and Recruiting Notes

Probably right about George and Kene, so that's 2 out of 5. Shooting 40 % from long range isn't bad. The other 3 might be airballs, though.

Drumgoole hasn't played much because he's been injured and out of shape. I doubt he leaves because of that. He played poorly in the few games prior to being injured, but that's a small sample size and not unusual for a freshman at the very beginning of his college career. He showed enough in practice to be named a starter.

I think Coulibally will much better in a few years, and I would think he would feel the same way. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would run off over a lack of playing time as a freshman.
Believe Coulibaly will stay. He has good potential and he is a recruiting tool.

I don't expect anyone other than Kene and George to leave, but you never know. There are always surprises, but that's what it would be, a surprise.

As for Brown, he'll probably be in the same situation he is in this year, with Hugley replacing Hamilton. I think it's overly optimistic to think a freshman like Max is going to play before a senior like Brown.

Of course, if Capel were to land a really big-time recruit that would change everything.

I don't expect anyone other than Kene and George to leave, but you never know. There are always surprises, but that's what it would be, a surprise.

As for Brown, he'll probably be in the same situation he is in this year, with Hugley replacing Hamilton. I think it's overly optimistic to think a freshman like Max is going to play before a senior like Brown.

Of course, if Capel were to land a really big-time recruit that would change everything.
I believe the advantage to Max coming in would be that he's a much more natural build for the 5 in this offense versus Hugley or Coulibaly, or even Hamilton.

I believe the advantage to Max coming in would be that he's a much more natural build for the 5 in this offense versus Hugley or Coulibaly, or even Hamilton.

I agree that Max is a more natural 5. But I think Hugley will be ready to play a lot as a freshman, and that's probably going to be mostly at the 5 if you're going to get the best players on the court. I don't see Hugley playing the 4 much, with Brown or Max playing instead of Justin or Toney. I just see Brown having the same role next year as he has this year, and not being passed by Max.

And that I am only going by his benchings

Coaches don’t decide minutes based on relationships. They decide them based on who gives them their best chance to win.

I think X himself would tell you he’s disappointed in how he’s played at times this year.

But there’s been countless interviews and articles about how much Capel mentors X and is constantly working on him to become a better, more consistent player and leader. Sounds like a good relationship to me.

George will graduate in 3 years as he is said to be a good student. He is taking advantage of summer credits. Then he will move on to a lower level to get his graduate degree and hopefully play a little BB. But his ship will be open and needs to go to a true PG.

Some Player Thoughts

Au’diese Toney

Needs a bigger role on offense and more touches. Toney has the best offensive rating on the entire team for the season at 118.4 which is significantly better than everyone else. He is shooting a red hot 58% from the floor his last 9 games. He is scoring on the inside and knocking down jump shots and his FG% for the season has moved all the way up to 45% after a horrendous first 4 shooting performance games to start the season. Toney continues to be the team’s top defender every game and he has 8 total turnovers for the entire year. He has played extremely well for his role.

Justin Champagnie

Really doing some great things. 7 rebounds per game, 118.2 DR rate, 85% free throw percentage. FG% would be significantly higher if he didn’t fall in love with the 3-point shot so much and focused more on the inside paint scoring where he should be focusing like in high school and AAU. Am I surprised with his stats? Not on offense, no.

This was a player that was a 5th team high school all American in AAU with a 65% shooting percentage in AAU. His offense has helped a lot when he is “on”. The biggest complaint on Justin is his defense obviously. He does not move his feet well on defense at all and stands flat footed watching too much, finds himself out of position, and leaves open 3-point shooters to collect rebounds in the paint (more on this later). These issues are correctable. Justin doesn’t turn 19 until the end of June this year. He is one of the youngest players in college basketball. Big days are ahead for him.

Trey Mcgowens

Last 10 Games

14.3PPG

42% FG

34% 3 point

3.6 Assist

3 rebound per game

2.4 turnovers (much better)

2.4 steals per game

Mcgowens has been carrying this team on offense. And Jeff Capel has given him the green light to do so as Trey has averaged 22 points per game his last 3 games playing 39 minutes per game. His TO numbers are still high in his last 10 but much better as opposed to the start of the season.

If most of the rest of our team wasn’t so inconsistent on offense, Trey wouldn’t have to shoulder most of the load. I do not mind his ORTG and neither does Jeff Capel. He scores and finds others to score on a team that severely struggles to score and is the catalyst of most of our transition game. Trey still takes a few bad shots per game, but his shooting percentages are good enough to allow him to do that. If he can continue to cut the turnovers down, he should have a very strong junior and senior season.

Hidden Stat #1

A lot of Trey’s assists have been to Justin Champagnie. Champagnie made four 2nd half 3 pointers against North Carolina and 6 of Justin’s baskets against UNC was from a pass from Trey. All 4 of those made 3’s from Champagnie against UNC came from a Mcgowens pass. A lot of Justin’s points are coming from Trey’s passing every single game. These 2 are forming great chemistry on offense together.

+ / - Concerns

Eric Hamilton has severely fallen in the plus minus team stats. He is now in the negative for the season at -5, joining Drumgoole who sits at -27, the only 2 players on the entire team that are in the negative year to date.

Hamilton is another player that gets beat up on defense and doesn’t establish position well and is way to inconsistent. Hamilton has played in 17 games this season. He has collected 3 rebounds or less in 11 of those games (and his rebound percentages are skewed from a couple nice games followed by a bunch of nothing). Terrell Brown has 7 total rebounds in his last 4 ACC games. No team can survive with a center averaging 1.75 rebounds per game in the ACC as Pitt is 1-3 in our last 4 games.

Something is off with Drumgoole and the chemistry of this team. Drumgoole has not played well, but the team collapses every time he is in the game. His teammates nor Jeff Capel obviously don’t have confidence in him when he is shooting 15% for the season. When he does play, he is very tentative and looks scared. His defense has been the most disappointing part this year. Its been a long time I have seen a player with his build get bullied for rebounds or by simple screens and he cant get through a screen. He is playing afraid of simple contact.

Hidden Stat #2-Rebounding

I noticed a long time ago that our players cheat to the inside to rebound the ball. I had a long post I had put together after the Robert Morris game that I decided to not post as I wanted a larger sample size of games before drawing personal conclusions. Xavier Johnson left his man wide open at least 4 times in that game against RMU where they nailed a 3 on Johnson every single time since Johnson cheated to the inside for rebounds. This has been an ongoing issue all season long.

We have 2 centers that can’t rebound and cant box out. And the rest of the team (Johnson and Champagnie the most) cheat to the inside to help rebound. What this does is leave open 3 point shooters that burn us over and over.

We have a choice. Guard our man closer from 3 and continue to give up 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance point opportunities and rebounds because our 2 centers cant rebound. Or cheat to the inside and help the 2 centers rebound and leave open shooters. Its happened all season and is a double edge sword.

Im sure someone will point out to me about Hamilton’s rebound efficiency ratings. Juicing the stats against Arkansas Pine Bluff, Northwestern, Wake Forest, etc.. and not showing up in the other 11 games is the problem. Hamilton has been a no show on the glass more often than not. He has 3 rebounds or less in 11 different games this year as a center. Jeff Capel notices (More later)

Player updates

John Hugley is averaging 23 points per game, 16 rebounds per game, 4 assist per game, and 1.6 blocks per game year to date while shooting 44% from 3 and he has consistently making at least 1 three ball per game. Hugley has been consistent all year. He should be considered the runaway favorite for player of the year in the state of Ohio. The competition he has faced is respectable, although not top tier every night. He will make an immediate impact at Pitt from day 1.

Max Amadasun

Team Record- 19-2

Season stats for 18 of Max’s 21 games, (I don’t have the stats for the other 3)

13.1PPG, 8.3RPG, 3.42 block per game season averages

Last 6 games for Max:

points, rebounds, blocks

6-5-2 (only played 15 minutes from injury)

12-6-2

15-18-5

16-6-4

11-13-4

14-10-4

Our Savior Lutheran is rolling over top competition. The now ranked #1 team overall in the loaded Grind Session, one of the Top 15 best teams in the country, have beaten a lot of high-profile teams and just put the smackdown on a loaded Westtown team with Pitt’s Noah Collier (19 points 6 rebounds), Jalen Warley and 5 Star Franck Kepnang, both the latter Pitt is recruiting hard.

A lot of Max’s games can be watched on youtube or online meaning the full games. Ive watched about 10 full games this year. He has played very well against a very tough high school schedule against a lot of high-profile players and teams and Max is consistently producing. Like Hugley, I expect Max to help Pitt from the get go and eat into Brown’s minutes.

Noah Collier is still way to inconsistent on offense for my liking. His late growth spurt pushing him to almost 6’9 is a great surprise / late bonus. But I want to see more consistency on offense. For a player his size with his length he gets blocked in the paint far too much and he cant shoot well. Really needs to hit the weights and put some muscle on in the offseason. Potential is the key word here; he is very athletic. Westtown likes to use a trapping zone with pressure with their length at every position. Collier plays well in a zone defense and can help us in transition. His handle has improved.

Recruiting notes

The staff is closely watching 6’5 guard / wing Ike Cornish (Plays a good bit like Lamar Patterson). Cornish has been really shooting the 3 ball well. We got a great look at him at the Slam dunk at the beach event (I watched his full games including against Our Savior and Amadasun). We have not offered yet but may get a visit later with an offer. Offers are starting to come in for Cornish from other higher profile teams. He isn’t the most athletic like Patterson but is proving to be able to knock down shots especially from 3 and can pass.

Pitt is in very, very good position for Will Jeffress as previously mentioned. Reclassification is on the table for 2020.

2 Potential Big Center Reclassification Candidates that Pitt is heavily targeting and heavily pushing for upcoming visits: 5 Star Center Franck Kepnang and Top 50 National Center Adama Sanogo who Jeff Capel has targeted hard. Both are immediate impact players. Both have serious interest. Efton Reid is a 3rd potential Pf / C reclass candidate for 2020 although getting him out of Virginia will be difficult. Reid has been on Pitt’s campus already. We are far from done recruiting front court players as Jeff Capel is not happy with our current interior talent and interior rebounding.

The offer to Point Guard Khristian Lander is a “feeler offer” to Lander currently. Lander is considering reclassification to 2020.

PThere is a good to very good chance Pitt will take 2 more players in 2020 and someone will not come back. And Im leaning toward the possibility of 2 more add-ons for 2020 which appear to be what we are pushing / hoping for.
Complete load of hogwash!

Never want to "run" anyone off a team or anything, but this would probably be the only way to do it (unless Brown literally just leaves on his own accord), but if Capel can get a re-class or a highly-regarded BIG man from wherever, then it may happen. Losing both of your big man from one season to the next, is not ideal at all, but talent can definitely beat out experience at schools.

Possible re-classes may not happen until April-June, like with Trey and Toney. Plus, the Grad Transfer market too.This option could be better too, but not going to shoo away a 5* talent at the 4-5 spot.

Never want to "run" anyone off a team or anything, but this would probably be the only way to do it (unless Brown literally just leaves on his own accord), but if Capel can get a re-class or a highly-regarded BIG man from wherever, then it may happen. Losing both of your big man from one season to the next, is not ideal at all, but talent can definitely beat out experience at schools.

Possible re-classes may not happen until April-June, like with Trey and Toney. Plus, the Grad Transfer market too.This option could be better too, but not going to shoo away a 5* talent at the 4-5 spot.
I don't have any idea what will happen but I want a re-class and I want it to be Jeffress.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

There are a number of factors in play here. But lets start with biggest team needs.

Pg
Sg / Sf- (lights out shooter the most)
C

It is very difficult to recruit quality big men. Every top school is fighting for them because they are very hard to recruit. They also take more time to develop normally. If we have a chance to get a stud center, we are taking him for either 2020 or 2021 regardless of who is on the current roster. No team is going to pass on an elite Top 50 National center. This is a case of striking when the iron is hot if the opportunity presents itself.

We got in on Max Amadasun at the right time because if he didnt commit when he did, I guarantee his offer sheet would be growing very rapidly right now. Here's Max's stats from today, another double double 13-11-2 game in only 18 minutes today. Our Savior Lutheran continues to pound teams with Max in the paint. And he is doing it against Top competition in a lot of his games in the grind session.

EOgjUUxWoAAxDoa

Point Guard is going to be interesting. We are monitoring plenty without putting offers out yet. Eric Gaines is the potential big sleeper right now. He missed most of AAU with a stress fracture so isnt a big name currently among many (remember RJ Davis missing AAU and Olivier Nkamhoua etc...). Gaines exploded at the tournament of champions recently and is very athletic and gets to his spots fast. He is one to watch closely because it appears he has worked hard on his 3 point shooting which would make him very dangerous down the road. Rahsool Diggins is another one among others getting traction with a lot schools and is starting to shoot it well. In the first set of updated 2021 rankings Jalen Warley came in at 105 Nationally. A bit low but got the 4 star rankings bump as I expected.

We need a lights out shooter 2 or 2 / 3 tweener . Bryce Mcgownes would be ideal but early PT is a big challenge because he wants a lot of it. Depending on Trey Mcgownes development and if Trey starts seeing more pt at point guard, it could be a nice selling point to his brother for open PT and playing together. His 3 point shooting has exploded this year and could be just what we need to open our offense. Ike Cornish also came in at 119th Nationally in those new 2021 rankings from prephoops. Another shooter I mentioned earlier that is rising. We are being careful with the new offers right now and focusing on quality players. Cornish has no offer yet.

Will Jeffress is a talent we arent going to pass up, obviously, as a 3 /4 tweener.

And of course, the Elite Centers we are after.

Jeff Capel is going to challenge players to step up their game. It wasnt long ago that Xavier Johnson found himself riding the bench being out of control with his shots and turnovers. Better players can not only put current players on this current team on the bench, they can also put them in a new uniform on another team. Minutes are going to be earned, not given.

It was only a matter of time before Capel starting reeling in talent. Our next couple of commits are going to be highly rated players. Talent that is going to be like his future "bulldog" in the paint. Good things are on the horizon.

Reactions: DnTanna07
Big John said he's not a 5 and JC knows that and we don't want to push him out so I'm sure he'll probably play a couple minutes there but I'm guessing they would have brown or Max and Karim playing with him most of the time so he'll play the four. IMO

Big John said he's not a 5 and JC knows that and we don't want to push him out so I'm sure he'll probably play a couple minutes there but I'm guessing they would have brown or Max and Karim playing with him most of the time so he'll play the four. IMO
One of the reasons Amadasun is here.

So many bigs say they aren’t a five but that’s what they end up playing.

Exhibit A: Charles Smith

Sure ... but it’s doubtful he’ll be ready for any kind of significant minutes in his first year.

IMHO, fully ready or not, he still could see lots of minutes if we go with two bigs in the lineup most of the time next season which seems highly probable—at least to me—given we are going to have more bigs on the roster.

IMHO, fully ready or not, he still could see lots of minutes if we go with two bigs in the lineup most of the time next season which seems highly probable—at least to me—given we are going to have more bigs on the roster.

I know you are a big advocate for size (having to be at least 6-8 in actual height measured with a ruler), but I really doubt we'll play two bigs at one time unless you consider Justin a big.

Assuming Xavier stays, our 1-2-3 spots will be X, Trey, Gerald, Murphy and Horton. Toney will be 3 and alot of 4 and Justin will be the four, along with Noah (and maybe a little of Karim).

We'll likely divide the five between Coulibaly, Hughley, Terrell and Max.

You want to be able to tell Hughley - "See, we recruited a center"

My thought is that kids want to play as many minutes as they can, and they want to win.

If the best lineup is Hughley, Justin, AuDiese, Trey and X and they play the most and that's a lineup that is successful, I don't think Big John will have any problem.

Having said, put me in the more cautious category with Hughley for now. He's got to defend at this level, and his mobility will be tested for a freshman. At the moment, I've got him for 15 minutes per game.

My thought is that kids want to play as many minutes as they can, and they want to win.

If the best lineup is Hughley, Justin, AuDiese, Trey and X and they play the most and that's a lineup that is successful, I don't think Big John will have any problem.

Having said, put me in the more cautious category with Hughley for now. He's got to defend at this level, and his mobility will be tested for a freshman. At the moment, I've got him for 15 minutes per game.
Don't get me wrong, I think he plays at the 5.

What I am saying, is he can look around and see other size and not "know" he is the only choice.

Last edited:
Not to sound rediculous, but putting Hugley at the four, how can you not at least pencil in Brown at the five. I mean...he has to be there right?

I may be wrong but i think that Hugley tweeted “I’m not a 5, I’m a basketball player” or something along those lines. I took at this as him saying that he doesn’t want to be thought of as a typical 5 and that he can only do what such players that are “centers” can do. I think that he meant that he doesn’t want to fall in the description of a typical center and think that he can do more than just play around the rim. Not that he doesn’t want to play the 5. I could be wrong though. That is just how I interpreted his tweet. And I don’t think that when some of you say “Hugley doesn’t want to play the 5 is what he truest meant.

I know you are a big advocate for size (having to be at least 6-8 in actual height measured with a ruler), but I really doubt we'll play two bigs at one time unless you consider Justin a big.

Assuming Xavier stays, our 1-2-3 spots will be X, Trey, Gerald, Murphy and Horton. Toney will be 3 and alot of 4 and Justin will be the four, along with Noah (and maybe a little of Karim).

Do you rethink that if Jeffress comes in 2020

I may be wrong but i think that Hugley tweeted “I’m not a 5, I’m a basketball player” or something along those lines. I took at this as him saying that he doesn’t want to be thought of as a typical 5 and that he can only do what such players that are “centers” can do. I think that he meant that he doesn’t want to fall in the description of a typical center and think that he can do more than just play around the rim. Not that he doesn’t want to play the 5. I could be wrong though. That is just how I interpreted his tweet. And I don’t think that when some of you say “Hugley doesn’t want to play the 5 is what he truest meant.

Good point I really didn't look at it like that you may be right. I was just taking it as face value because you know these young guys these days usually it's all about me and what I want but you may just be right

Bigs , wings , and points

you folks need to let go of this 4 or 5 stuff

Pitt has played a 4-1 almost exclusively. I don't recall them ever going to a 3-2 set-up. At this point, Pitt doesn't have the bodies for an effective 3-2 offense. That could change a bit next year with Hugley's skillset but I expect that we will see mostly a 4-1 rotation.

I was hoping for maybe 10-15 mins from Max. I also hope we can get somewhere around 20-25 from Big John. I would like to see a little less of Justin and Toney at the 4. Let Justin and Toney take minutes from Murph, who shouldn't be on the floor that much next year.

Right now, I believe we are technically out of schollies for next year. But it's pretty much expected that George will be gone, which opens one more up.

To open up another, you'd be looking at one of these players leaving: X, Brown, Murphy, Coulibaly or Drumgoole. The only other possibility is if somebody decommits.
I don't believe that is correct
I think there is still 1 open scholarship for 2020 and with George who is almost guaranteed to leave that leaves 2. If Brown or anyone else tleaves that makes it 3 or more.
Chukwuka is considered a senior and already counts against next year's open scholarships so we cannot gain it only lose it if he returns through a medical hardship.

I think there is still 1 open scholarship for 2020 and with George who is almost guaranteed to leave that leaves 2. If Brown or anyone else tleaves that makes it 3 or more.
Chukwuka is considered a senior and already counts against next year's open scholarships so we cannot gain it only lose it if he returns through a medical hardship.
We have 12 scholarship players for the 2019-20 season because we left one unfilled. Hamilton and Chukwuka are the team’s two seniors who are coming off of the scholarship count at the end of the season. That’s a total of three open scholarships for the 2020-21 season. We signed Collier, Amadasun, and Hugley, so as of today every scholarship for the 2020-21 season is taken.

Of course, that assumes that no players will leave early (for one reason or another) and free up additional scholarships. I think every Pitt fan recognizes that at least one player will leave early with eligibility on the table, so we will functionally have at least one more scholarship available for the 2020-21 season. But as of today, we’re technically full for 2020-21 with all 13 scholarships accounted for.

Trey and his body language always looks horrible if he ain't scoring. I'm just looking at him on the bench and he just got that oh well I don't care attitude like Hey we're still winning by 10

We have 12 scholarship players for the 2019-20 season because we left one unfilled. Hamilton and Chukwuka are the team’s two seniors who are coming off of the scholarship count at the end of the season. That’s a total of three open scholarships for the 2020-21 season. We signed Collier, Amadasun, and Hugley, so as of today every scholarship for the 2020-21 season is taken.

Of course, that assumes that no players will leave early (for one reason or another) and free up additional scholarships. I think every Pitt fan recognizes that at least one player will leave early with eligibility on the table, so we will functionally have at least one more scholarship available for the 2020-21 season. But as of today, we’re technically full for 2020-21 with all 13 scholarships accounted for.
Just to expand on this, we currently have on scholarship:
SR - Chukwuka (1), Hamilton (2)
JR - Brown (3), George (4), Murphy (5)
SO - McGowens (6), Johnson (7), Toney (8), Horton (9)
FR - Champagnie (10), Coulibaly (11), Drumgoole (12)
Open - (13)

Coming in - Hugley (replaces Chukwuka), Collier (replaces Hamilton), Amadasun (replaces Open)

You keep forgetting Samson's not coming back either
We’re assuming Samson isn’t coming back, and I think that’s what ends up happening - as do most Pitt fans. As I said, I was expressing the current scholarship situation as it exists today, and the current situation as it exists today is that Samson has another year of eligibility and counts for one more year against the 13 man limit.

Each player who leaves with eligibility on the table at the end of the year - Samson, Xavier, or otherwise - opens up an additional scholarship.

@oldpantherfan

2020-2021 (0 available scholarships)

Seniors: Terrell Brown, Samson George, Ryan Murphy

Juniors: Trey McGowens, Xavier Johnson, Au’Diese Toney

Sophomores: Gerald Drumgoole, Karim Coulibaly, Justin Champagnie, Ithiel Horton

Freshmen: Noah Collier, Max Amadasun, John Hugley

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT