ADVERTISEMENT

VB vs #21 Louisville

It will definitely help being televised a lot with the accn to get the word out. And someday the new complex. But you’re talking about volleyball. In Pittsburgh. On Sunday.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Just to put into perspective the state of Pitt's program. If Pitt averaged the attendance it had today, that would put Pitt at 20th in the nation in attendance base on last year's numbers. Unless Pitt has very good crowds the final two home games, like 1500 each game, Pitt will be lucky to crack the top 50 in average attendance this season. Pitt currently is averaging 959 for its 12 home games this year, but that is up to 1,122 over the last 6 games, which would be ~45th. Pitt really has to work on getting fans to the Fitz.

It is definitely getting more support but imo we can go undefeated and win national championships every year and not draw like some of the top drawers in the nation. It's just not in the culture here.

It is definitely getting more support but imo we can go undefeated and win national championships every year and not draw like some of the top drawers in the nation. It's just not in the culture here.
I think if they continue to well in the coming years, their attendance can really take a jump. It would likely be the only female sport in the area, and there are many female athletes/sports fans who would want to attend. I'm not saying that they'll be top 5 in attendance, but I do think they can make a jump to the next level as they did this year.

Reactions: plcp
Not sure if it is the Burghs culture or not, or if its just a convenient excuse. VB hasn't been a focus for very long and now that they are winning and ranked high, crowds show up. Everybody likes a winner and Pitt VB is a winner right now. Looking at the roster, they have a nucleus of starters back for next year and should again be favored in the ACC. Buskirk, Lund, Ndee, Williams, Markovic all return. The only seniors they lose with significant playing time is Seman and Akeo. Looks like three fresh are redshirting so you add them to the mix next year. Plus with back to back successful years, Fisher should be able to land some quality recruits.

It will be interesting to see attendance the last two home games and if it will carry over to next year. May need to build the new facility sooner than expected!

Reactions: HOF Coach
Not sure if it is the Burghs culture or not, or if its just a convenient excuse. VB hasn't been a focus for very long and now that they are winning and ranked high, crowds show up. Everybody likes a winner and Pitt VB is a winner right now. Looking at the roster, they have a nucleus of starters back for next year and should again be favored in the ACC. Buskirk, Lund, Ndee, Williams, Markovic all return. The only seniors they lose with significant playing time is Seman and Akeo. Looks like three fresh are redshirting so you add them to the mix next year. Plus with back to back successful years, Fisher should be able to land some quality recruits.

It will be interesting to see attendance the last two home games and if it will carry over to next year. May need to build the new facility sooner than expected!

I'm going to guess the last 2 home games will be around 1,000 - 1,500 people. Depending on how senior night attendance is.

I think as long as the team is good, attendance will be better, but I can't see us averaging more than 800 or so on a "normal" weekend. Big weekends like this weekend will do better. Again, Pitt/city of Pittsburgh doesn't have the college culture. It's the same for all of our sports.

There are a lot more women who play soccer than volleyball.
Female athletes of other sports besides volleyball would attend the matches if it is the only winning female team in the area. Sorry, I could have been more clear in my first post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT