ADVERTISEMENT

VBall - BYU Nike Invitational

I’m a little surprised this is still taking place at BYU, tbh.
Pitt beat Cincy in 5 sets. 3-2

Went on a 21-5 scoring run to end the match.
Cincy beat a ranked team earlier this year. I can’t recall who.

Anyone else hear the statement to the fans before the match started? That was as strong a statement about fan behavior as I have ever heard. The problem is there weren't 100 people in the stands. I assume they will repeat it before the start of each match.

Los Angeles has a huge Mormon population, so that racial abuse incident got big coverage here. In fact, when they identified the guy who made all of the taunts and announced he would be banned from the BYU campus and sports events for life (he was not a student) it was on the front page of the sports section.

I was amazed that BYU has its own television network with not only sports events on it but movies and TV series. They advertise them as all being upbeat, positive portrayal of humanity. They must have 50 or more shows.

Cincy beat a ranked team earlier this year. I can’t recall who.

Anyone else hear the statement to the fans before the match started? That was as strong a statement about fan behavior as I have ever heard. The problem is there weren't 100 people in the stands. I assume they will repeat it before the start of each match.

Los Angeles has a huge Mormon population, so that racial abuse incident got big coverage here. In fact, when they identified the guy who made all of the taunts and announced he would be banned from the BYU campus and sports events for life (he was not a student) it was on the front page of the sports section.

I was amazed that BYU has its own television network with not only sports events on it but movies and TV series. They advertise them as all being upbeat, positive portrayal of humanity. They must have 50 or more shows.
Cinci best Florida St 3-1 in their previous match.

will be interesting to see how they fare vs BYU tonight

I’ve seen all 4 of their matches this year streaming, plus the first 2 sets of Utah State. Pitt leads 2-0. This team reminds me of the team three seasons ago, not the teams of the last two years. Probably good enough to get to the NCAAs but not a Top 10 team and likely not a Top 20 team.

Just like that team, they have too many “walk abouts” where they lose focus and throw away a set. They overcame that against Cincinnati and closed out with a run to finish the fourth set and then 15-5 in set five. They also don’t seem to have a leader. Some of that should improve as they get more familiar with each other, but I just don’t see the skill level or mental mindset of a Top Ten team there.

Where can I find this streaming? I looked on ESPN plus.

I'm following this on twitter while watching soccer on ESPN plus

Where can I find this streaming? I looked on ESPN plus.

I'm following this on twitter while watching soccer on ESPN plus
I turned on ESPN+ to watch the soccer and the first thing to pop up was something called Banana Ball. Weird. It’s some kind of exhibition baseball trying to make baseball entertaining.

This team reminds me of the team three seasons ago, not the teams of the last two years. Probably good enough to get to the NCAAs but not a Top 10 team and likely not a Top 20 team.
They started the 20-21 season with two losses to a lousy Syracuse team and ended up one point short of a Final Four.

I actually think they've performed pretty well considering they have three new starters (if you count Ennis) and they are without senior setter Akeo.

Last year, Pitt played 5 sets against #23 Rice, #9 Baylor, and at unranked Tennessee, they just happened to be lucky enough to win them all.

I also don't really think they are a top-10 team this year, but we could get swept tonight by BYU and we'd still be very comfortably inside the top-25. The goal for Pitt this year should be to earn one of those 16 first and second round host spots.

They started the 20-21 season with two losses to a lousy Syracuse team and ended up one point short of a Final Four.

I actually think they've performed pretty well considering they have three new starters (if you count Ennis) and they are without senior setter Akeo.

Last year, Pitt played 5 sets against #23 Rice, #9 Baylor, and at unranked Tennessee, they just happened to be lucky enough to win them all.

I also don't really think they are a top-10 team this year, but we could get swept tonight by BYU and we'd still be very comfortably inside the top-25. The goal for Pitt this year should be to earn one of those 16 first and second round host spots.
I think this team will take a bit to gel given so many new players and the first season in - what 5 years? - without Lund and N’Dee. Throw in Akeo’s injury - and it’s a very different group.

that said - we have at least 2 maybe 3 nationally elite players in Fairbanks, Gray, , and maybe Buzzerio . Dalton and Gomez are very good too. It’s a talented group.

they are so much taller and I think a better service team — they still struggle a bit on service receiving compared to elite teams.

they seem to get a little sloppy with leads in the middle part of games. They beat San Diego if they don’t give up a big lead in the first game.

i think this team will keep getting better - my guess is they should earn a protected seed - really shouldn’t lose more than 2 matches in the ACC. Winning our home tournament with OSu and Tennessee would set the stage for another great season.

Reactions: Ski11585
i think this team will keep getting better - my guess is they should earn a protected seed - really shouldn’t lose more than 2 matches in the ACC. Winning our home tournament with OSu and Tennessee would set the stage for another great season.
I'll preface this by saying I haven't watched any of Louisville or GT this season, but my expectation is they are better than us. I just think Pitt has a ceiling if they will finish 3rd in the ACC.

Pitt has a pretty tough OOC schedule, so our RPI should be competitive as long as we don't lose a ton of matches. I think they have a good chance at hosting in the first weekend. Maybe it is something of a shock to our fans that a team doesn't have to go 30-1 to get national respect.

Bump to remind everyone that #10 Pitt vs #7 BYU can be seen tonight at 9:00 pm on byutv (link below).

BYU NIKE INVITATIONAL SCHEDULE

No. 10 Pitt vs CincinnatiFriday, Sept. 212 p.m.Live StatsWatch
No. 10 Pitt vs. Utah StateFriday, Sept. 27 p.m.Live StatsWatch
No. 10 Pitt at No. 7 BYUSaturday, Sept. 39 p.m.Live StatsWatch

Fans can follow @Pitt_VB on Twitter and Instagram for live updates during all matches.

No walkabouts so far tonight.

Pitt wins first two sets. Had a 5 point run in the first to take the lead by 5 and the lead fluctuated between 3 and 6 the rest of the set.
Won 25-19.

Second set was close all the way. Pitt took a 22-20 lead and then the teams traded points the rest of the way. 25-22.

One key is that BYU had lost two challenges and has no more left.

Vasquez-Gomez has been Pitt’s best player so far. Buzzer is also has played well. So has Dalton.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
BYU changed up their blocking tactics and won the third set 25-19.

Pitt leads 2-1. BYU has won 30 straight home matches so they aren’t used to being down.

BYU plays Georgia Tech and tOSU in Atlanta next week. Their announcers explained that their conference is so weak that they have to play a tough OOC schedule. Dalton basically was invisible that set.

BYU changed up their blocking tactics and won the third set 25-19.

Pitt leads 2-1. BYU has won 30 straight home matches so they aren’t used to being down.
Another fact is that BYU is 106-5 at home since 2015.

Huge win on the road. Fairbanks/Dalton could be one of the best 1-2 punches in the Country in a year or two, they are that talented I think. Quite a pair of sophomores.

Buzzerio as Kayla Lund-lite has been solid. Gray is also really good. You notice them being a little less athletic this year, but they are absolutely a better serving team. Gomez seems like the key to the team. If she plays well we are a hard out. She can kind of disappear from time to time, but was brilliant today.

BYU had the longest home winning streak in the nation going into tonight - 30 consecutive wins.

HAIL TO PITT!

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT