ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest Game @ The Pete & Other Dribbles ...

Thanks, DT.

I want Terrell and Nike back (I think its OK if Drumgoole moves on). But I'm getting concerned that we have a lot of open roster spots and no commitments. I know this isn't a .500 team in conference play next year, but I don't want the bottom to fall out again. And having 8 or 9 scholarship players risks that.
If Hugley is back, no T Brown

The primary thing jeffress needs to do prior to next season is triple down on leg day

his only main physical shortcoming is not jumping aggressively on offense - and holding his position on defense
As he gets stronger - his confidence will as well

Reactions: Ski11585
Will depend on who we add the the front court
I think collier and jeffress will improve and be good rotational pieces -
Same with akc
But we need more post help and a bit more guard depth

Yes. You need that one big you can build around. Hugely may have developed into that. Looks like chances of getting such a big for next year are slim.

I think Capel should have been playing Jeffress around 5-8 minutes a game. It is hard to be confident when you are nothing but a practice player. You don't exactly feel like a valuable part of the team when you are getting splinters in your ass while watching it. His shooting in high school suggests with playing time and some confidence, he will shoot fine at this level.

Horton looks done. He may be joining XJ and Toney in heading for supposed greener pastures. I hope not. There is enough talent there if he can get his head on straight. He just needs to relax and buy in. Maybe things didn't quite go as he expected this year, but, he is a valuable player that can really help us next season if his attitude is right.

I am not sure what to make of Nike. He played pretty well despite a couple lucky shots. Perhaps real playing time as I suggested with Jeffress, would allow us to make a better judgement on what he can do for us in the year he has left.

Anyway, considering we need players for next year, I think Jeffress can and will show everyone alot more. Hopefully Nike and Ithiel stick as well. We still need Capel to pull the rabbit from his hat or "mask" as DT suggested. Rebuilds from the level we were starting from can take time. I still think Capel can keep us moving forward. Lets see who wants to play for Pitt in 2021???

Horton looks done. He may be joining XJ and Toney in heading for supposed greener pastures. I hope not. There is enough talent there if he can get his head on straight. He just needs to relax and buy in. Maybe things didn't quite go as he expected this year, but, he is a valuable player that can really help us next season if his attitude is right.

He's 3-21 in his last 3 games (0-8 his last 2), basically fell off a cliff. Something ain't right.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
For me, it isn't just that TB has stuck around out of desperation (as with a guy like Samson George), but the fact that he's gone from starting 17 games as a freshman to this senior night being his only start this season. He's never been a star player (his ORtg peaked at 104 last year) but he's played 118 games in his career. He's played for two under-performing coaches, and been willing to serve whatever role has been asked of him.

In an age of constant transfers, it would've been easy for him to leave, like all his Stallings teammates did, and several of his Capel teammates. Obviously I can't speak to his mental state, but for him to put up with all he has, on and off the court with this program, he must genuinely like it at the University of Pittsburgh. That wins my appreciation.
And I know people like to rip on him, but it’s not like he’s done absolutely nothing at Pitt. He’s 1 blocked shot away from tying Sam Clancy for 3rd all-time in Pitt basketball history. That’s pretty good.

That pinned block yesterday with both hands is a perfect example. That’s a play that shows he can do some things on the court he just can’t teach.

There was that play and one other where he closed exceptionally fast to contest a 3 - impressive. However, 2 games prior I watched him literally stand there and watch a guy dribble around him and score easily. I think that is the issue... who are you going to get? His talent level is not so unworldly that he can afford to be a spectator while on the court - ON ANY LEVEL.

Looking ahead.......if we beat Clemson, we are locked in at 11. If we lose, we are likely 12.
12 is not so bad, we would draw 13 which would be Wake or BC in the 1st rd of the ACC tourney with the winner likely getting Clemson or Ga Tech at 5. That is not insurmountable to get a couple of wins, then you line up against likely Louisville. So....who knows. The ACC is not that good this year.
We are battling with ND for 11, and they just lost to NCST. They have FSU for their last game, a likely loss, so we are in good shape for 11.

There was that play and one other where he closed exceptionally fast to contest a 3 - impressive. However, 2 games prior I watched him literally stand there and watch a guy dribble around him and score easily. I think that is the issue... who are you going to get? His talent level is not so unworldly that he can afford to be a spectator while on the court - ON ANY LEVEL.
Jumping straight up, don’t need two healthy knees. Keeping someone in front, need two healthy knees.

Reactions: Ski11585
** It's a win, so why not dribble!

** Someone asked me why I didn't write after last game, and I explained that my heart just wasn't in it.

** But what I told him I concluded from last game was very much the same that I would conclude about this game. First, it's very good to see that the remainder of the team has responded well to the extreme adversity they have faced in the last several days. No one has packed it in, and everyone seems committed to making the most of the remainder of the season.

** This of course, is not a remarkable accomplishment. But no one would have been surprised if everything had all gone further south too.

** The second conclusion from both games is that I'm convinced we aren't headed for a Stallings-like 0-18 disaster next year, even if Justin leaves for the NBA as I expect him to.

** Now keep in mind that 0-18 is really special kind of bad, so I was never thinking it would be quite at that low anyway. But I was thinking about a 2-3 ACC win season. I think now that we can be at least a little better than that. Not much, but better. Maybe avoiding last place, or even next to last. But still a long way to go.

** The third thing I thought about last game is that Femi has a really good chance to be a really good ACC guard. Even though Femi wasn't as good this time out, I will still stick with this point.

** Who would have thought 10 days ago that we'd actually be clamoring for Nike to stick around? Now keep in mind that his stellar performance today should be tempered knowing that he banked in a three, and another was a brick that died on the rim then fell him. But today he demonstrated that he's a capable ACC level player who probably could be counted on for 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

** I simply do not know what has happened to Ithiel. He looks completely disengaged and uninspired. Every Panther but IH seems to have risen the the occasion, but he looks like the situation has gotten the best of him for now.

** It was nice to see William play significant minutes and produce. Some tools are evident, and he certainly plays with his heart on his sleeve (I mean that as a good thing). But I still need to see more before I'm convinced he'll fill the promise of a four-star recruit.

** Congrats to Terrell. Like everyone else, I've grumbled about his play over four years. But a post by @levance2 really realigned my thinking on TB. He's stuck through four of the worst years of Pitt Basketball, and a stretch when they have averaged about 4 conference wins a season. I'm not suggesting we celebrate his skills, but instead appreciate his loyalty.

** Hopefully HCJC will be able to pull some magic out of his mask and find some capable players who get play some important minutes. I'm not optimistic this can be pulled off, and along those lines, I think I'd rather Terrell stick around and play some spot minutes than take a long reach on a big who just isn't ready to play.

** We already have one of those bigs in Max, and even Noah is not much further along unfortunately.

** The following statement is both a compliment and a negative for Coach Capel. There were many points moments today when we watched some of our most consistent execution of an offense of the season. So I'm glad to see Coach could get the guys all back on the same page. But it does make one wonder why we've struggled so much in the last several games to play on the same page.

** I'll end with Justin. Earlier I stated my belief that he will go pro after this season. I sure hope not, for no other reason that I'd simply just love to watch him one more year. Because of the turmoil this year has been, I'm not sure we have completely appreciated how good he really has been.

** His 20 and 13 production today looked nearly effortless.

** And that isn't to say he wasn't providing full effort. In fact, I liked his defensive effort better in this game than in quite some time.

** Many of us wondered if the knee was bothering him in some games in the past four weeks, and if it was, perhaps he's feeling a bit better.

** So now I'm looking forward to the Clemson game on Saturday. Closing the regular season with two wins would be really nice step for the program, all other things considered.

** But regardless, congrats on the win tonight!
I really think Champ needs work on his shooting before leaving for the pros. He scores the ball well from 12 feet in but he’s not going to get a lot of those chances in the Pros. I think he needs to show he can shoot consistently from behind the arc. Maybe I am being selfish but he really needs another year.

I think Capel should have been playing Jeffress around 5-8 minutes a game. It is hard to be confident when you are nothing but a practice player. You don't exactly feel like a valuable part of the team when you are getting splinters in your ass while watching it. His shooting in high school suggests with playing time and some confidence, he will shoot fine at this level.

I am not sure what to make of Nike. He played pretty well despite a couple lucky shots. Perhaps real playing time as I suggested with Jeffress, would allow us to make a better judgement on what he can do for us in the year he has left.

Anyway, considering we need players for next year, I think Jeffress can and will show everyone alot more. Hopefully Nike and Ithiel stick as well. We still need Capel to pull the rabbit from his hat or "mask" as DT suggested. Rebuilds from the level we were starting from can take time. I still think Capel can keep us moving forward. Lets see who wants to play for Pitt in 2021???
I like the potential WJ has shown and without seeing practice there was nothing to suggest that he really deserved more pt. I’m glad he’s getting it now .

Horton has been very disappointing considering the hype , hopefully this is a transition yr and he comes back as 75% the player JC said he was .

As far as Nike goes maybe he just didn’t feel like he fit in , especially with the apparent disharmony in the locker room . Now with the distractions cleared out maybe he can strut his stuff .

It does appear that the team chemistry is better now , that class with so much potential sure was dysfunctional .

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I really think Champ needs work on his shooting before leaving for the pros. He scores the ball well from 12 feet in but he’s not going to get a lot of those chances in the Pros. I think he needs to show he can shoot consistently from behind the arc. Maybe I am being selfish but he really needs another year.

I'm not trying to suggest that I think he does or doesn't need another year. But based on all the information I've been able to gather, the pros are already convinced enough that he'll be a draft pick. In other words, they don't need him to show that he can shoot consistently. They've already seen enough in his game that they will take him now and THEY will work with him to help him shoot consistently.

But selfishly, I too sure hope he decides to stick around for one more year.

I'm not trying to suggest that I think he does or doesn't need another year. But based on all the information I've been able to gather, the pros are already convinced enough that he'll be a draft pick. In other words, they don't need him to show that he can shoot consistently. They've already seen enough in his game that they will take him now and THEY will work with him to help him shoot consistently.

But selfishly, I too sure hope he decides to stick around for one more year.
My question is why would any scout ever tell anyone except the people who sign his check what he’s really thinking except in obvious cases like a Zion ?

My question is why would any scout ever tell anyone except the people who sign his check what he’s really thinking except in obvious cases like a Zion ?

I simply don't know, but just about any list you can look at has him at top 40 or better.

I'm not trying to be arrogant with my belief. I'm just trying to explain why I have the belief he will be going pro. Believe me -- I really hope for one reason or another, that I will end up being wrong!!

We are battling with ND for 11, and they just lost to NCST. They have FSU for their last game, a likely loss, so we are in good shape for 11.

We will be 11 unless both Notre Dame wins and we lose.

BC and Miami play on Friday. If BC wins the bottom three is BC, Wake then Miami, which would mean we'd get Wake in the first round of the tournament. If Miami beats BC then it depends on the Georgia Tech - Wake game, also on Friday. If Wake wins then it's Wake, Miami and BC so we would get Miami. If Wake loses then it's Miami, and a tie between BC and Wake, which I believe Wake wins because they won the head to head, so we would get Wake.

BC and Miami play on Friday. If BC wins the bottom three is BC, Wake then Miami, which would mean we'd get Wake in the first round of the tournament. If Miami beats BC then it depends on the Georgia Tech - Wake game, also on Friday. If Wake wins then it's Wake, Miami and BC so we would get Miami. If Wake loses then it's Miami, and a tie between BC and Wake, which I believe Wake wins because they won the head to head, so we would get Wake.

OK, I did not realize that the standing I was looking at did not include BC's loss tonight to Florida State. So the scenarios I outlined before are not correct. Let's try this again.

If Wake beats Georgia Tech then Wake will finish 13 and we will play the winner of the BC - Miami game. If Wake loses then the BC - Miami winner will finish 13 and the loser will be 15 so we would get number 14 Wake.

Assuming we finish 11.

And yet they do, all the time, in all sports.
Ask the Steelers who they’re focusing on in the upcoming draft and anyone they mention aren’t the guys they’re figuring to get . They even bring in guys they have no intentions to draft to throw others off . They when they miss out on who they really wanted they say that the guy they drafted was the guy we really wanted all the time !

I simply don't know, but just about any list you can look at has him at top 40 or better.

I'm not trying to be arrogant with my belief. I'm just trying to explain why I have the belief he will be going pro. Believe me -- I really hope for one reason or another, that I will end up being wrong!!
I hope for his sake that’s he’s drafted with guaranteed money and has a long successful career in the nba , I just don’t see it with his current game( or potential )at his size and quickness . Maybe once his knee is fixed his quickness will improve , but if I’m paying him I want to see if his quickness improves before I write the check . His game at 6’8” or bigger yes at 6’5” boy he needs to shoot better , much better .

Ask the Steelers who they’re focusing on in the upcoming draft and anyone they mention aren’t the guys they’re figuring to get . They even bring in guys they have no intentions to draft to throw others off . They when they miss out on who they really wanted they say that the guy they drafted was the guy we really wanted all the time !

I agree 100% that if YOU asked someone with the Stillers what they were thinking about certain players in the upcoming draft there is very little chance that YOU would get straight information. But that is most certainly NOT true of everyone. The Stillers, and all NFL teams, and all baseball team, and all basketball teams absolutely do pass on information to writers and other people about who they are considering with their draft picks and what they think about certain players. How do you think these people come up with these mock drafts? I mean sure, some of them are just guys throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. And sometimes the information is an attempt to throw everyone off. But there absolutely are writers who get information from the teams about who they like and who they don't like. All teams, every year.

I agree 100% that if YOU asked someone with the Stillers what they were thinking about certain players in the upcoming draft there is very little chance that YOU would get straight information. But that is most certainly NOT true of everyone. The Stillers, and all NFL teams, and all baseball team, and all basketball teams absolutely do pass on information to writers and other people about who they are considering with their draft picks and what they think about certain players. How do you think these people come up with these mock drafts? I mean sure, some of them are just guys throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. And sometimes the information is an attempt to throw everyone off. But there absolutely are writers who get information from the teams about who they like and who they don't like. All teams, every year.
I agree , but the only way that they’ve gotten that trust is by not spilling the beans .

Talking about mock drafts a lot of these guys are obvious picks to those whose jobs it is to follow these things . I have no doubt scouts talk about players especially ones their teams have no chance of drafting .

Did anyone have Cam as a lottery pick ?

But no scout is telling DT or bbinsider legitimate info that they will post on message boards .

I agree , but the only way that they’ve gotten that trust is by not spilling the beans .

Talking about mock drafts a lot of these guys are obvious picks to those whose jobs it is to follow these things . I have no doubt scouts talk about players especially ones their teams have no chance of drafting .

Did anyone have Cam as a lottery pick ?

But no scout is telling DT or bbinsider legitimate info that they will post on message boards .

I never said I was getting info from scouts.

Because, like some people on message boards, they want everyone to know that they were right. That they know basketball.

Reactions: FireballZ
I will agree that this has nothing to do with any insight from you.

As an FYI,

There is a new article on Pittsburgh sports now about the Filipowski brothers, 2 players I talked about potentially reclassifying on this very board months ago.

They are also from the Bronx, an area I specifically said was absolutely loaded with talent in 2022 that we are targeting in this very thread and I said we are looking at New York hard.

Ill also add something the article missed. Pitt was the first school to offer both brothers as a package deal which is "somewhat" important to them. Kyle is very good and very underrated.

RWIW, an NBA scout I talked with told me (about 2 weeks ago) that he had seen Justin's brother play for St. John's but had not seen Justin play yet.

Then from what type of source if not from scouts ?

I also looked at several mock drafts and none have JC in them .

Then we have have looked at different lists. Every list I've seen has had him around 40 or better.

I'm certainly not trying to quarrel with you. I believe Justin will be declaring for the NBA after this season. I could be wrong and I truly hope I will be.

Then we have have looked at different lists. Every list I've seen has had him around 40 or better.

I'm certainly not trying to quarrel with you. I believe Justin will be declaring for the NBA after this season. I could be wrong and I truly hope I will be.
We all have to remember that even if Justin declares the door will still be open for him to return under the new rules that came on line a few years ago. Many players have declared, gone through the NBA evaluation process and returned to school. Not saying that will happen with Justin, but the rules have changed to allow players to get a sense for their draft value without ending their college eligibility.

Speaking of this, does anyone know if the NBA has announced its off-season draft evaluation calendar?

No quarrel here just googled mock drafts and he wasn’t on any of them .

I think he’s far exceeded everyones expectations and he has skills around the basket , I just don’t see a NBA player without a lot of improvement in his shot and defense . I could be wrong too !

Reactions: Millerton24
No quarrel here just googled mock drafts and he wasn’t on any of them .

I think he’s far exceeded everyones expectations and he has skills around the basket , I just don’t see a NBA player without a lot of improvement in his shot and defense . I could be wrong too !

Let's go with me being the one who is wrong for now!

The point went right over your head. Literally...

The point is there is major talent in 2022 to be had. The point , there are real players on the table to potentially reclass to 2021 too.

This has nothing to do with me listing a bunch of names and hoping 1 commits so Im right. This has everything to do with Jeff Capel landing a "real" piece of talent that will help the program win games in the future. Don't get it twisted.
We need more than 1 talent. Capel needs to hit it big the next two classes.

I also saw him in the at something like 28 on one list, and 38 on another. And like @Fsgolfdr mentioned, there are other lists where he doesn't appear.
To me NBA guys are just special cats , right now IMO he’s just a really good college bb player . I’m not rooting against him , whatever he decides I hope it works out for him .

Basketballscoutingworld ,nbadraftroom ,nbcsportas, usatoay, sbnation etc he’s not listed fwiw .

I agree, there are places that don't have him listed. Most of them (but not all for sure) are ones that have not been updated in a long time. The more recently a list has been updated the more likely it is that Champagnie is on it.

Jumping straight up, don’t need two healthy knees. Keeping someone in front, need two healthy knees.

OK... fair enough. You got a guy playing on one leg playing for arguably the worst frontcourt in the ACC and probably the worst frontcourt in the history of Pitt basketball. What little respect I have of Capel for jettisoning the jackasses is quickly evaporating.

ADVERTISEMENT