ADVERTISEMENT

Washington vs Michigan

Penix was bad. Never seen a guy throw off his back foot as much as him.

He's a system throw it to a spot guy. He has no chance in the NFL.
No..
not true at all! He was under duress the entire game. Every QB would have struggled under that pressure. If you cant protect, you cane win.

Penix has not been good tonight. Maybe be goes off in the 4th, but he's left points on the board to this point.
Think maybe that’s because he was playing the best defense in the country?

He doesn’t get to see much of that kind of thing in the PAC or in an CFP game against a B12 team.

Penix just played himself out of a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. Fourth or fifth at best

Dude wilted on the biggest stage. Would have been a game had he showed up
No, he just faced an elite defense for the first time in 2 years and didn’t have the time or the space to do what he’s used to doing. Relentless pressure from a four man front coupled with the best cover secondary in the country = Penix struggling.

One of my buddies works for UW. He said the staff said if they couldn't run the ball tonight, they had no chance. They obviously think Penix is a stud but he was up a river without a paddle if he didn't have a run game.

Gotta love that dinosaur Michigan offense. :)

I don't know how far back you'd have to go
Think maybe that’s because he was playing the best defense in the country?

He doesn’t get to see much of that kind of thing in the PAC or in an CFP game against a B12 team.

Okay, so do you want me to say he had a good game then? I don't get your argument.

I don't care if he was facing the 2000 Ravens; some of the throws were still routine.

Okay, so do you want me to say he had a good game then? I don't get your argument.

I don't care if he was facing the 2000 Ravens; some of the throws were still routine.
He missed two TDs because of poor ball placement on passes he connected with and at least one other big play down field. These were when he had time. Granted Michigan’s defense probably created the poor footwork from their effort, but I still expected a Heisman contender to hit on some of those throws.

I think it was a reflection on the up and down nature of Penix’s play. When he’s on, he’s excellent, but he can have some tough games in between. Again, not to discredit Michigan’s defense, they were great. Just my read on Penix as a QB.

I sort of see Penix the same as I now see Kenny. Long career, sort of average until the very end, and will probably get drafted higher than he should because of one truly great season that was not expected.

I'm saying when a QB is under constant pressure from a 4 man front with the occasional blitz thrown in, there are no routine throws. Combine that with an NFL secondary, Penix never had a chance. Last night was as clear an example of that as you'll ever see. Posters that want to believe Penix just had a "bad game" don;t know what they're watching when they watch a football game.

You want to talk about who had a bad game, all 5 of UW's OLs, especially the center and the right tackle. Poor #73 was so shellshocked and gun shy from getting run over and thrown around on the edge all night he had a sequence in the 4th where he had like 2 false starts and a hold on 3 straight plays.

Michigan mauled them in the trenches all night on both sides. As most that follow the teams and know football expected, especially after seeing Michgan manhandle a much more physical and talented opponent in the trenches last week. This was a physical mismatch on paper, and that's exactly how it played out on the field.

I'm saying when a QB is under constant pressure from a 4 man front with the occasional blitz thrown in, there are no routine throws. Combine that with an NFL secondary, Penix never had a chance. Last night was as clear an example of that as you'll ever see. Posters that want to believe Penix just had a "bad game" don;t know what they're watching when they watch a football game.

You want to talk about who had a bad game, all 5 of UW's OLs, especially the center and the right tackle. Poor #73 was so shellshocked and gun shy from getting run over and thrown around on the edge all night he had a sequence in the 4th where he had like 2 false starts and a hold on 3 straight plays.

Michigan mauled them in the trenches all night on both sides. As most that follow the teams and know football expected, especially after seeing Michgan manhandle a much more physical and talented opponent in the trenches last week. This was a physical mismatch on paper, and that's exactly how it played out on the field.

Being under duress is big boy football. Throws were there to be made, and he didn't make them. There were also times (that last interception not being the least of which) when he could have stepped up in the pocket but instead chose to backpedal. That's always been his style (throwing while backing up), though, and it's why I wouldn't touch him in the first round because he needs quite a bit of coaching.

Not saying Michigan had nothing to do with it, but there were plays - and plenty of them - to be made in spite of it.

Reactions: Burgh15 and NCPitt
He missed two TDs because of poor ball placement on passes he connected with and at least one other big play down field. These were when he had time. Granted Michigan’s defense probably created the poor footwork from their effort, but I still expected a Heisman contender to hit on some of those throws.

I think it was a reflection on the up and down nature of Penix’s play. When he’s on, he’s excellent, but he can have some tough games in between. Again, not to discredit Michigan’s defense, they were great. Just my read on Penix as a QB.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm even open to the fact that Odunze probably turned the wrong way on that 4th down. I think he should have turned to the outside once he saw the safety was inside (looked like he accepted fault when he was talking with Penix afterwards). But there were a lot more plays than just that one. He had a tough time with the UM front - no doubt. But it's not out of bounds to say he had an off night on top of that, in my opinion.

I also thought their screen game as an extension of the run and an answer to Michigan dropping their safeties was actually working and they should have went to it more. They got impatient. And some of it was just bad luck/execution (the dude falling, the drop, etc.).

Reactions: 303vND and Burgh15
Couldn't agree more. And I'm even open to the fact that Odunze probably turned the wrong way on that 4th down. I think he should have turned to the outside once he saw the safety was inside (looked like he accepted fault when he was talking with Penix afterwards). But there were a lot more plays than just that one. He had a tough time with the UM front - no doubt. But it's not out of bounds to say he had an off night on top of that, in my opinion.

I also thought their screen game as an extension of the run and an answer to Michigan dropping their safeties was actually working and they should have went to it more. They got impatient. And some of it was just bad luck/execution (the dude falling, the drop, etc.).
The one play was in the second quarter where he missed a wide open receiver that would have went for a TD. Good qbs don’t miss those throws It would have change the game completely.

For sure as the game progressed the pressure started to affect him which would happen to most qbs

Reactions: 303vND
Being under duress is big boy football. Throws were there to be made, and he didn't make them. There were also times (that last interception not being the least of which) when he could have stepped up in the pocket but instead chose to backpedal. That's always been his style (throwing while backing up), though, and it's why I wouldn't touch him in the first round because he needs quite a bit of coaching.

Not saying Michigan had nothing to do with it, but there were plays - and plenty of them - to be made in spite of it.
His mechanics are awful, and always have been. He almost looks to put himself in bad position when he throws. Really weird.

He's a system QB who is a product of the offense. He missed a lot of throws where he wasn't under pressure and the throws weren't really that hard. He was overthrowing guys all night. Most of his completions were caught near the LOS.

He's a mid round pick.

The guy has won every where he has been. Both college and pro.

If im a Falcons fan I want him on the sidelines like, yesterday.
Look what he did at Stanford. He took over Wlat's 1-11 team, turned it into a 12-1 teams and set up David Shaw who eventually drove it off a cliff.

Look what he did at Stanford. He took over Wlat's 1-11 team, turned it into a 12-1 teams and set up David Shaw who eventually drove it off a cliff.

I don't fault Shaw, because he kept it up for 8 years. Those schools typically seem to come back down to Earth more often than not. But yeah - Harbaugh kind of Ben Howlanded their program and handed the keys to their Jamie Dixon. Hard to deny that he (Harbaugh) has raised the standard everywhere he has been.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The guy has won every where he has been. Both college and pro.

If im a Falcons fan I want him on the sidelines like, yesterday.
He's 60. I don't know if pro teams want to start over with a 60 year-old coach.

I don't fault Shaw, because he kept it up for 8 years. Those schools typically seem to come back down to Earth more often than not. But yeah - Harbaugh kind of Ben Howlanded their program and handed the keys to their Jamie Dixon. Hard to deny that he (Harbaugh) has raised the standard everywhere he has been.
Word here in Michigan is U of M is prepared to back up the Brinks truck for Harby, like 125 mill for 10 years, but he is expected to split for the NFL anyway. The B10 is changing, he's had his NCAA issues, etc. etc. I think he's gone.The current state of the college game is also a big part of the reason why, he knows it will be mighty hard to put together and keep together a team like the one he had this year again. Just a couple days ago he lost Bryce Underwood, the top-rated overall H.S. player in the country, to LSU. Underwood was considered a Michigan lock, played H.S. ball about 15 miles from Ann Arbor for a coach that was a former Michigan player. But....the Bag Man cometh.......

Word here in Michigan is U of M is prepared to back up the Brinks truck for Harby, like 125 mill for 10 years, but he is expected to split for the NFL anyway. The B10 is changing, he's had his NCAA issues, etc. etc. I think he's gone.The current state of the college game is also a big part of the reason why, he knows it will be mighty hard to put together and keep together a team like the one he had this year again. Just a couple days ago he lost Bryce Underwood, the top-rated overall H.S. player in the country, to LSU. Underwood was considered a Michigan lock, played H.S. ball about 15 miles from Ann Arbor for a coach that was a former Michigan player. But....the Bag Man cometh.......
IMO that's an indictment on where CFB is and is headed. When a great coach who is a legend at a school throws in the towel its bad.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Since a number of them have reportedly already reached out to Harbaugh's agent, I guess they do.
Depends on their situation. Are they teams having to to completely rebuild or teams with a solid base in which a quick improvement can be made? My comment was about Atlanta, which is in rebuild mode.

Besides, "reportedly" is meaningless until it is "reality".

Since a number of them have reportedly already reached out to Harbaugh's agent, I guess they do.
He's won everywhere he's coached and is probably looked at as a short-term, but quick fix coach. Harbaugh should go to a ready-to-win team and he'll probably succeed.

He's won everywhere he's coached and is probably looked at as a short-term, but quick fix coach. Harbaugh should go to a ready-to-win team and he'll probably succeed.
Is there a ready to win team looking for a HC?

Funny....as I type this I am reminded that is exactly what the Steelers did with Tomlin.

Depends on their situation. Are they teams having to to completely rebuild or teams with a solid base in which a quick improvement can be made? My comment was about Atlanta, which is in rebuild mode.

Besides, "reportedly" is meaningless until it is "reality".
Do you actually believe that isn’t happening?

Do you actually believe that isn’t happening?
Do I believe what isn't happening?

I certainly can believe NFL franchises can be dumb enough to want a 60 year-old coach and they would reach out to him. I've seen the NFL do a lot of dumb stuff.

Still, lots of "reports" never come to fruition. They end up in the pile of dead rumors.

If Tomlin retired would you want Jim Harbaugh?
Are you asking me? The answer is I couldn’t give a $hit who the Stillers hire, I root for them secondarily due to family ties. I’m a long-suffering, finally hopeful Lions fan. Other than the Lions the NFL holds very little viewing appeal to me.

To me, the most intriguing candidate for any of the NFL openings is Lions OC Ben Johnson. He’s a hot name. That said, Harbaugh is a proven, been there, done that and done it well in the NFL HC, so IMO he’d be hard to ignore for any NFL franchise looking for a coach.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
There's no way that the Rooneys would hire Harbaugh. They always (all 3 times in the last 55 years.....) hire someone who is young and viewed as up and coming. Paying a guy like Harbaugh the money that he'd require is simply not in their DNA, either. Harbaugh probably makes more even now than Tomlin does.

On top of that, nobody really knows what any investigation might uncover, although I think we all know that this is going to be buried quickly enough. I still don't think the Steelers would want to have that in the background.

Could you see Art Jr and Harbaugh getting along? The autistic guy and the guy born on 3rd base are not going to relate to each other very well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT