ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the Inside Story?

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
So a lot of media heroes are now implying Kenny Pickett was a problem in the locker room and off the field. Anyone have any actual knowledge of things like that?

The latest is that Tomlin told KP there would be an open competition. When they actually signed Wilson, KP was told that Rw was in the “pole position” and would get the starter reps. We all know Mitch was given the starting qb job even though the word was he stunk up camp and actually MR was the best performer.

Remember the last qb competition?neither KP nor MR wanted any part of another Tomlin-led “competition “. That was a farce, too.

Last edited:
The latest is that Tomlin told KP there would be an open competition. When they actually signed Wilson, KP was told that Rw was in the “pole position” and would get the starter reps. We all know Mitch was given the starting qb job even though the word was he stunk up camp and actually MR was the best performer.

Remember the last qb competition?neither KP nor MR wanted any part of another Tomlin-led “competition “. That was a farce, too.
Great summary.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
So a lot of media heroes are now implying Kenny Pickett was a problem in the locker room and off the field. Anyone have any actual knowledge of things like that?
Apparently Kenny didn’t handle it well when they signed Wilson. He was pissed last year when he lost the job to Mason. Then he was assured there would be real competition with Wilson, then was told Wilson would be #1 on the rep chart. Didn’t handle any of it well and looked like he could become a problem. Didn’t ask for a trade but said he would be agreeable to one. Sad to see it end like this.

Apparently Kenny didn’t handle it well when they signed Wilson. He was pissed last year when he lost the job to Mason. Then he was assured there would be real competition with Wilson, then was told Wilson would be #1 on the rep chart. Didn’t handle any of it well and looked like he could become a problem. Didn’t ask for a trade but said he would be agreeable to one. Sad to see it end like this.
So why would Kenny be good with that? The Steelers have a pattern of saying one thing and doing another. Some people have principles to adhere to - irrespective of their occupation.

A professional has to deal with the situation. Do your best and compete. Don’t sulk.
If you have options, you don't have to deal with anything other than moving on. People who deal with BS irrespective of their profession, usually don't have options.

Reactions: BPKY and Fk_Pitt
Simply because none of them have been good enough. They smartly moved on from all of them. Too many teams wait and waste time rather than move in a different direction.
Who's doing the evaluations?

Literally anyone who watches football.
No..who's doing it for a living - that's the question? If they keep missing, someone shouldn't have a job. That's how professional sports works. Not us sitting in our living room trying to be coaches and analyst - it's the people who's W2 is on the line.

And not high school coaches who goes to camps and think they know more than anyone else!

No..who's doing it for a living - that's the question? If they keep missing, someone shouldn't have a job. That's how professional sports works. Not us sitting in our living room trying to be coaches and analyst - it's the people who's W2 is on the line.

And not high school coaches who goes to camps and think they know more than anyone else!
Ah, got it. Kevin Colbert has moved on with his life's work. Omar Khan shouldn't have extended Mitch, but he just cleaned house at QB. Btw, I have zero faith that Tomlin has any idea how to develop a young QB and I wish they would bring in some bright QB minds who understand how to develop passers.

Ah, got it. Kevin Colbert has moved on with his life's work. Omar Khan shouldn't have extended Mitch, but he just cleaned house at QB. Btw, I have zero faith that Tomlin has any idea how to develop a young QB and I wish they would bring in some bright QB minds who understand how to develop passers.
Cleaning house at QB position isn’t all that normal. Particularly tossing all your marbles in on an older QB who has already been identified as a locker room problem.

I think you are thinking this is a cleansing and a step in right direction but I tend to think its Omar being over his head.

Cleaning house at QB position isn’t all that normal. Particularly tossing all your marbles in on an older QB who has already been identified as a locker room problem.

I think you are thinking this is a cleansing and a step in right direction but I tend to think its Omar being over his head.
Were any of these guys long-term options?

If Pickett showed up to camp and balled out, all of the marbles weren't on Wilson. Pickett didn't even want to try. Steelers veterans recruited Wilson to Pittsburgh, so they seem okay with him being here right now at very little cost.

Omar did the same thing at ILB last year and it was a much better group until injuries ravaged the depth at the position.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

If Pickett showed up to camp and balled out, all of the marbles weren't on Wilson. Pickett didn't even want to try. Steelers veterans recruited Wilson to Pittsburgh, so they seem okay with him being here right now at very little cost.

Omar did the same thing at ILB last year and it was a much better group until injuries ravaged the depth at the position.
My God if you don’t have a long term option at QB on your team you should be fired. Are they planning to tank this year and get a long term option in the draft.

By the way, the Steelers didn't HAVE to trade Pickett. They chose to.

Now they are stuck with one contracted QB.

Who are they signing? Who are they drafting?

They are behind the proverbial 8 ball.

My God if you don’t have a long term option at QB on your team you should be fired. Are they planning to tank this year and get a long term option in the draft.

Exactly correct

I was really excited for Kenny and the Steelers when they drafted him . Watching him play professionally was a little ( a lot ) disappointing .

Receivers were constantly disgruntled because he wasn’t capable of getting them the ball when they were running wide open . Hard to blame that on Canada . The WR’s wanted Mason back not Kenny and that tells you something.

The reality of the situation is that Mason showed everyone just how bad the quarterbacking was . He wasn’t even getting reps with the first team guys running the scout team in practice and he looked like a million bucks compared to the other two .

If Kenny refused to dress in Seattle and was whining about the Wilson signing then I don’t want him on my team . He should have said bring him on I’m ready for the challenge. You haven’t seen the real KP .

This is professional football and it’s a business , the team has every right to improve itself any way it wants and if if you can’t deal with see you latter.

The irony of the situation is that he had a better chance of starting here , his only way of seeing the field is if Hurst is injured .

My guess is a trade for Fields isn’t out of the question .

Some people are saying that Justin Fields is very much in the picture.

Maybe that was the plan all along?

No way. It's better to move on from a QB rather than extend them if they aren't going to get you to the next level. For example, no way was Daniel Jones worth the contract the Giants gave him. They either should've signed him at a deal closer to his actual level of play or just moved on. Granted, I think that contract maybe had an early out, but getting stuck with a mid-level QB at a high cost is the worst.

I don’t think we have any reason to believe what the media has reported today isn’t true, but there isn’t wrong with what Pickett did. Good for him on thinking he’s more than a backup. I hope he does his time behind Hurts in Philly and then gets an opportunity to start elsewhere.

Edit: I should say I’m referring to the report he requested a trade, NOT the report about him allegedly refusing to suit up in Seattle.

No way. It's better to move on from a QB rather than extend them if they aren't going to get you to the next level. For example, no way was Daniel Jones worth the contract the Giants gave him. They either should've signed him at a deal closer to his actual level of play or just moved on. Granted, I think that contract maybe had an early out, but getting stuck with a mid-level QB at a high cost is the worst.
Clearly you have black and gold sunglasses on. You sign Wilson and lose Rudolph and then Pickett. You better have had a plan in mind and not just random attempts at washed up free agents. They are definitely worse off today than just a week ago.

I don’t think we have any reason to believe what the media has reported today isn’t true, but there isn’t wrong with what Pickett did. Good for him on thinking he’s more than a backup. I hope he does his time behind Hurts in Philly and then gets an opportunity to start elsewhere.

Edit: I should say I’m referring to the report he requested a trade, NOT the report about him allegedly refusing to suit up in Seattle.
Think about it for a second , Kenny did nothing to impress anyone with his tape . No one in the league wants him to be a starter .

The Steelers choosing him as their #1 pick invested heavily on him , the Eagles gave up 20 spots in the draft in the third round and two 7th round picks . If he’s a struggles or becomes a problem in the locker room there they’ll just cut him .

Kenny would‘ve been better off just shutting up and come in ready to win the job .

I was really excited for Kenny and the Steelers when they drafted him . Watching him play professionally was a little ( a lot ) disappointing .

Receivers were constantly disgruntled because he wasn’t capable of getting them the ball when they were running wide open . Hard to blame that on Canada . The WR’s wanted Mason back not Kenny and that tells you something.

The reality of the situation is that Mason showed everyone just how bad the quarterbacking was . He wasn’t even getting reps with the first team guys running the scout team in practice and he looked like a million bucks compared to the other two .

If Kenny refused to dress in Seattle and was whining about the Wilson signing then I don’t want him on my team . He should have said bring him on I’m ready for the challenge. You haven’t seen the real KP .

This is professional football and it’s a business , the team has every right to improve itself any way it wants and if if you can’t deal with see you latter.

The irony of the situation is that he had a better chance of starting here , his only way of seeing the field is if Hurst is injured .

My guess is a trade for Fields isn’t out of the qu
Isn't that grape Kool-aid delicious?

Clearly you have black and gold sunglasses on. You sign Wilson and lose Rudolph and then Pickett. You better have had a plan in mind and not just random attempts at washed up free agents. They are definitely worse off today than just a week ago.
Not a chance. I never claimed Wilson was going to be any good or lead the Steelers to a deep playoff run. What I do know is that Rudolph is a solid backup, not a full-time starter and he was a free agent. I didn't want him back competing for a starting job. Pickett threw for 13 TDs in 25 games and regressed after his first season. Then he says he doesn't want to compete with an old QB. If he doesn't have the confidence he can go out and dominate to beat out Wilson, then I'm not sure I want him as my QB either.

Maybe Wilson has one more good season in him and it works out. Maybe he stinks and the Steelers finally finish low enough in the standings to draft a highly rated QB. But by no means is that black and gold glasses claiming Wilson is the answer, rather that Pickett and Rudolph were not.

You don't draft Kenny 20th if he's not a long term option! Nothing complicated about that!

Isn't that grape Kool-aid delicious?
I guess you couldn’t notice a different in the offense the last 3 games of the season !

Just in case you didn’t , they made big plays down the field which opened up the running game and they did it with a guy who was running the scout team the last two years .

Not a chance. I never claimed Wilson was going to be any good or lead the Steelers to a deep playoff run. What I do know is that Rudolph is a solid backup, not a full-time starter and he was a free agent. I didn't want him back competing for a starting job. Pickett threw for 13 TDs in 25 games and regressed after his first season. Then he says he doesn't want to compete with an old QB. If he doesn't have the confidence he can go out and dominate to beat out Wilson, then I'm not sure I want him as my QB either.

Maybe Wilson has one more good season in him and it works out. Maybe he stinks and the Steelers finally finish low enough in the standings to draft a highly rated QB. But by no means is that black and gold glasses claiming Wilson is the answer, rather that Pickett and Rudolph were not.
This is ridiculous. IFFFFF the Steelers felt how you state it they would have done everything possible to get a franchise quarterback this year including putting even TJ on the trade block. The truth of it is that the Steelers have zero clue what they are doing even going back to allowing a washed up Ben stick around. Today is a continuation of their ineptitude. Not a new day.

This is ridiculous. IFFFFF the Steelers felt how you state it they would have done everything possible to get a franchise quarterback this year including putting even TJ on the trade block. The truth of it is that the Steelers have zero clue what they are doing even going back to allowing a washed up Ben stick around. Today is a continuation of their ineptitude. Not a new day.
So pay a 35 yr old guy $180 million coming off an Achilles injury ?

What other franchise QBs are available and who trades one of these guys until they’re really old on the downside of their careers .

You don't draft Kenny 20th if he's not a long term option! Nothing complicated about that!
I mean, that was the plan, right? Until he didn't perform up to expectations.
This makes absolutely no sense. They went out an signed to a zero risk $1.2 million contract. He produced more than Pickett last year. Pickett should've stepped up and competed to prove he was indeed the answer. He decided a trade was the better option and the Steelers obliged.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT