ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the Inside Story?

You asked. I answered. Hope. That’s not how you run a champion Organization and that is my point with the Steelers now and for the last decade really. If what i am reading is true then this wasn’t entirely Pickett not wanting to compete but personally being told one thing by the organization and then the organization reneging. How do you work for any company you no longer trust?
This isn’t peewee football , if someone better is available you go get him . If you’re injured and your replacement performs you’re gone . If someone making less money comes in and is comparable you’re gone .

Kenny best bet to start next season was here in Pgh , be a man and come in and win your job back . It’s not like they asked him to take a pay cut and go sit in the corner .

Reactions: WillyDavis33
Horrible asset management. They had a horrible ol, OC, center, and run game.
Honestly -
They signed Mitch when Ben retired -
Then drafted Kenny and resigned Mason a year later .
They should have drafted another position or a mid round Qb for depth -
And just rolled with Mitch and Mason competing .

Instead - they botched the whole thing and two years later all 3 are gonzo

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Ah, got it. Kevin Colbert has moved on with his life's work. Omar Khan shouldn't have extended Mitch, but he just cleaned house at QB. Btw, I have zero faith that Tomlin has any idea how to develop a young QB and I wish they would bring in some bright QB minds who understand how to develop passers.
Walt!!!

Guess the Steelers only played great teams all season long and were throwing the ball all over the field and scoring pts in bunches .

Six TDS six and 13 in two yrs !

I wanted KP to succeed as much as anyone , but the reality was he wasn’t very good . Mason stood in there under pressure and delivered , Kenny ducked and ran in circles and missed seeing guys running wide open .
You mention the last three games but fail to mention the 1.5 games before then that also had very good QB play. The constant in those games was no Matt Canada. Your narrative is fully transparent.

You mention the last three games but fail to mention the 1.5 games before then that also had very good QB play. The constant in those games was no Matt Canada. Your narrative is fully transparent.
So the Steelers instituted a totally new offense mid season and by the way Mitch was the qb in those games before Mason played .

Niether Kenny or Mitch could find the open receivers as well as Mason did and there’s no denying that .

Kennys play wasn’t what I wanted , but his actions off the field are far more disappointing to me .

Based on what ?
Stop it

based on "reporters" who always had a grudge for Pickett, i.e. Yohe, Dulac, Madden. The trinity of informed opinions and the truth. Madden hasn't stepped foot in a steeler locker room in 20 years. Dulac prints what Burt tells him too. If anything the Steelers are complicit as Burt probably fed some crap to Dulac

So the Steelers instituted a totally new offense mid season and by the way Mitch was the qb in those games before Mason played .

Niether Kenny or Mitch could find the open receivers as well as Mason did and there’s no denying that .

Kennys play wasn’t what I wanted , but his actions off the field are far more disappointing to me .
The offense was the same but the play calling and philosophy changed. Kenny had a bang up game the minute Canada was fired. Even the most vocal of Kenny bashers acknowledged it. And as far as off the field, we know that Tomlin mangled the Seattle situation. That was reported. We know that Tomlin mangled the QB competition 2 years ago. And we know that Tomlin renigged on things when he brought in Wilson and handed him the starting job.

based on "reporters" who always had a grudge for Pickett, i.e. Yohe, Dulac, Madden. The trinity of informed opinions and the truth. Madden hasn't stepped foot in a steeler locker room in 20 years. Dulac prints what Burt tells him too. If anything the Steelers are complicit as Burt probably fed some crap to Dulac
And Adidi and Dejan both have reported contradictory info to that of Dulac. I’ll believe them over the Nitter. They have no agenda. Gerry does.

It’s really silly thinking anyone who’s a Steeler fan wasn’t rooting for Kenny to be successful and thinking that those involved directly with the Steelers wanted anything different is nuts . Everyone wanted him to be the man and they obviously didn’t feel he was and of course some of you know better than them .

The offense was the same but the play calling and philosophy changed. Kenny had a bang up game the minute Canada was fired. Even the most vocal of Kenny bashers acknowledged it. And as far as off the field, we know that Tomlin mangled the Seattle situation. That was reported. We know that Tomlin mangled the QB competition 2 years ago. And we know that Tomlin renigged on things when he brought in Wilson and handed him the starting job.
The offense got better because Mason stood in there and found the open receivers down the field .

You’re right they should’ve never signed Mitch and they should’ve handed the reins over to Mason . They reached for Kenny and it was a mistake . Elevating Canada to OC was a mistake and retaining him was even a bigger mistake . Staying with Kenny when you can acquire a 9 time pro bowler also would’ve been a mistake.

Kenny did play well in the Cincinnati game , but there’s nothing that KP has done in his two yrs here that should’ve guaranteed him the job . Wilson threw for more TDS last yr the Steelers have done in two yrs . You better yourself at any position anytime you can .

Kenny wanted the job handed to him , be a man and come in and win it . There’s no guarantee that Wilson comes in here and performs like he did yrs ago . I hope he does , but there’s no guarantees ..

The offense got better because Mason stood in there and found the open receivers down the field .

You’re right they should’ve never signed Mitch and they should’ve handed the reins over to Mason . They reached for Kenny and it was a mistake . Elevating Canada to OC was a mistake and retaining him was even a bigger mistake . Staying with Kenny when you can acquire a 9 time pro bowler also would’ve been a mistake.

Kenny did play well in the Cincinnati game , but there’s nothing that KP has done in his two yrs here that should’ve guaranteed him the job . Wilson threw for more TDS last yr the Steelers have done in two yrs . You better yourself at any position anytime you can .

Kenny wanted the job handed to him , be a man and come in and win it . There’s no guarantee that Wilson comes in here and performs like he did yrs ago . I hope he does , but there’s no guarantees ..
I stopped reading at “the offense got better because Mason”

Because the offense instantly got better before Mason. ….

And I’m a Mason supporter too. I was the guy who got chastised here when I supported Mason vs the Lions a few years back when he had all the chips stacked against him in that game. I just know when QBs aren’t set up for success. And in hindsight being drafted by the Steelers was a career killer for Mason and Kenny. There’s still time for both though and I expect better things from them now that they are gone.

True - but most are at least given a real chance to flame out - Kenny didn't have that opportunity here. But there's also another common factor in QBs being busts - BAD COACHING AND DEVELOPMENT!
Unfortunately for KP his OC wasn’t up for the job , but the organization had two years to see him up close and choose to move on . You don’t do that with truly exceptional talent unless they’re a cancer in the locker room. Kenny was becoming a distraction , but I don’t believe that was the main reason he was dealt .

I stopped reading at “the offense got better because Mason”

Because the offense instantly got better before Mason. ….

And I’m a Mason supporter too. I was the guy who got chastised here when I supported Mason vs the Lions a few years back when he had all the chips stacked against him in that game. I just know when QBs aren’t set up for success. And in hindsight being drafted by the Steelers was a career killer for Mason and Kenny. There’s still time for both though and I expect better things from them now that they are gone.
Ask the WRs !

This isn’t peewee football , if someone better is available you go get him . If you’re injured and your replacement performs you’re gone . If someone making less money comes in and is comparable you’re gone .

Kenny best bet to start next season was here in Pgh , be a man and come in and win your job back . It’s not like they asked him to take a pay cut and go sit in the corner .
Again, no honorable person is going to work for an organization that lied to them.

He’s playing for a much better organization. He’s in better position.

These aren’t the Steelers of old.
I'm going to need someone to explain to me how Pickett being on a team where he's guaranteed to be in a backup role is better for his career. Some of you guys are treating him like he's your son and I don't get it.

Reactions: Schaef60
I'm going to need someone to explain to me how Pickett being on a team where he's guaranteed to be in a backup role is better for his career. Some of you guys are treating him like he's your son and I don't get it.
Because he was the backup here too. You haven’t heard? And he’s out from the organization that has mangled the QB position for 3 years. In Philly he’s a heartbeat away from starting behind an injury prone QB. I like his chances playing for the better organization, at least for his sake as I have no skin in the game.

That’s my rationale. I would say the same if it were Rudolph in the same situation. He’s also better off where he is.

Because he was the backup here too. You haven’t heard? And he’s out from the organization that has mangled the QB position for 3 years. In Philly he’s a heartbeat away from starting behind an injury prone QB. I like his chances playing for the better organization, at least for his sake as I have no skin in the game.

That’s my rationale. I would say the same if it were Rudolph in the same situation. He’s also better off where he
Jalen Hurts is injury prone? What's that make Kenny?

No, he WANTED a competition. A fair one. He was down this road before. Tomlin gives the job to the new guy and there is no competition. Same thing happened when Mitch was brought in. Tomlin said this was an open competition before he signed RW. The minute he signed, he told KP it was RWs job to lose. Not a fair or open competition
Sorry, KP sounds like a girl. I can see someone pouting a little if they had played good. But after a lengthy 24-25 game audition, KP had no justifiable reason to pout about anything.

Jalen Hurts is injury prone? What's that make Kenny?
Unless he gets hurt holding the clipboard it makes Kenny ready to step in and play.

Look in most seasons on most teams, the backup starts games because injuries are always happening. I just think that Philly can be a better option given Tomlin’s track record. Then again Arthur Smith can be a wildcard.

That’s my rationale. I would say the same if it were Rudolph in the same situation. He’s also better off where he is.
Jalen Hurts is the only reason why you and anyone else consider the Eagles this vastly superior organization to the Steelers. The idea that Pickett is going to go there and develop while sitting on the bench and turn into a franchise QB is plain wishful thinking by Pitt fans. The fact is the Steelers' QB situation is much less stable than the Eagles. You can blame it on their incompetence or chalk it up to nature of finding franchise QBs through the draft. But either way, there's an opportunity for him to either beat out Wilson for the job or step in once he inevitably fails. That will never happen in Philly.

EDIT: I should add here that I don't know whether Pickett forced the trade or not. In any case, I don't see how this benefits him.

Jalen Hurts is the only reason why you and anyone else consider the Eagles this vastly superior organization to the Steelers. The idea that Pickett is going to go there and develop while sitting on the bench and turn into a franchise QB is plain wishful thinking by Pitt fans. The fact is the Steelers' QB situation is much less stable than the Eagles. You can blame it on their incompetence or chalk it up to nature of finding franchise QBs through the draft. But either way, there's an opportunity for him to either beat out Wilson for the job or step in once he inevitably fails. That will never happen in Philly.

Nailed it.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

EDIT: I should add here that I don't know whether Pickett forced the trade or not. In any case, I don't see how this benefits him.
I don’t understand the Pitt fan thing. Kenny doesn’t play for Pitt and hasn’t for a few years. I could care less who he played for in college. I supported Rudolph and he played at OSU. I’m don’t want Tyler Boyd playing here unless he comes on the cheap. Where a Steeler spent 4 years of his life doesn’t matter one bit.

And the eagles are better. How do I know? Playoff wins. And how else? Because essentially everyone is better. I might even include the Browns.

Reactions: pittdan77
I don’t understand the Pitt fan thing. Kenny doesn’t play for Pitt and hasn’t for a few years. I could care less who he played for in college. I supported Rudolph and he played at OSU. I’m don’t want Tyler Boyd playing here unless he comes on the cheap. Where a Steeler spent 4 years of his life doesn’t matter one bit.

And the eagles are better. How do I know? Playoff wins. And how else? Because essentially everyone is better. I might even include the Browns.
If you honestly believe this, it makes it hard to take anything else you have to say seriously about this topic.

Why not Brock Purdy , nobody thought either of those two guys could be franchise QBs . It’s a lot easier to look back !

Look at the 21 class five 1st rounders and depending on what happens with Fields only Trevor Lawerence is with the team that drafted him . In 2018 Mayfield was selected before Josh Allen as was Sam Daronld . Josh Rosen was taken before Lamar Jackson . Let’s not forget a guy named Tom Brady , he was a 6th round pick . At best it’s an educated guess at Qb and guys studying tape 20 hrs a day screw it up all the time .

The Steelers got to see Kenny close up for two years and my guess is that had they thought for a second that Kenny was the man and the struggles were due solely to he incompetence of the OC he’d still be here . You don’t trade away young superstar Qbs .

Now had the Steelers traded for Wilson and paid the price that the Broncos did that would have been a major mistake . To get a franchise Qb you need to be lucky or trade your future away for an aging veteran , the Steelers went to the bargain basement and hopefully got a bargain and if not they didn’t ruin their franchise. Great now Hugh upside minimum downside .
The problem with the Steelers' evaluations of personnel these days is that they're frequently wrong. They started Mitch and he was the worst QB on the roster. They started Dan Moore over Jones. They gave Dotson up for nothing and had poor OG play all year, meanwhile he was great and got an extension. They kept JPJ a rotational player for damn near half the season and he was their CB1.

This is not your daddy's Steelers. They are screwing up a lot. Whether it's drafting, acquiring, or playing guys, it's frequently going wrong. That indicates poor quality front office and/or coaching.

So we can't really trust that they are right about KP's abilities. I mean he's probably not a long term starter given what I've seen of him, but you can't just say "well the Steelers thought he was bad" and have that be sufficient given their track record of major personnel failures in the last 6 years.

I personally think KP's best football is ahead of him if for no other reason that every single QB the Steelers played in the last 3 years looked better without Matt Canada than with. The Eagles also have a history of developing and trading QBs. Steelers better PRAY that Kenny doesn't light it up in the preseason because with his experience, if someone gets hurt and needs a QB, the Eagles could very well trade him to a team with real offensive coaching and he could flourish there. In any event, I do think he'll be in the mix somewhere, at some point, and will play much better than he did here. I actually hope he's a long term starter somewhere and proves all the haters wrong.

Last edited:
If you honestly believe this, it makes it hard to take anything else you have to say seriously about this topic.
How many teams have won a playoff game since the Steelers last did? If you find it hard to take seriously, Do the exercise and it might surprise you. I bet there are 10 coaches out of football who have even won a playoff game since the Steelers last did. It’s an organizational failure.

The problem with the Steelers' evaluations of personnel these days is that they're frequently wrong. They started Mitch and he was the worst QB on the roster. They started Dan Moore over Jones. They gave Dotson up for nothing and had poor OG play all year, meanwhile he was great and got an extension. They kept JPJ a rotational player for damn near half the season and he was their CB1.

This is not your daddy's Steelers. They are screwing up a lot. Whether it's drafting, acquiring, or playing guys, it's frequently going wrong. That indicates poor quality front office and/or coaching.

So we can't really trust that they are right about KP's abilities. I mean he's probably not a long term starter given what I've seen of him, but you can't just say "well the Steelers thought he was bad" and have that be sufficient given their track record of major personnel failures in the last 6 years.

I personally think KP's best football is ahead of him if for no other reason that every single QB the Steelers played in the last 3 years looked better without Matt Canada than with. The Eagles also have a history of developing and trading QBs. Steelers better PRAY that Kenny doesn't light it up in the preseason because with his experience, if someone gets hurt and needs a QB, the Eagles could very well trade him to a team with real offensive coaching and he could flourish there. In any event, I do think he'll be in the mix somewhere, at some point, and will play much better than he did here. I actually hope he's a long term starter somewhere and proves all the haters wrong.
I think the last 4/5 yrs of Kevin Colbert era the drafting was subpar and they really weren’t aggressive in the free agent market . Omar seems different and better .

I have no issue slowly incorporating a rookie into pro ball unless he’s just a freak .

As far as KP , he was a calculated gamble that crapped out . If they thought he had the it factor the events of the last few days never happen . I’m disappointed in Kenny acting like a baby , just come in and win the starting job .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT