ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the Inside Story?

You don't draft Kenny 20th if he's not a long term option! Nothing complicated about that!
You draft him, just as you draft any qb in the first round, because he might be a long term option. There are no guarantees with any first round draft pick, especially qb's. There is a very large graveyard of first round qb failures.

Reactions: Burgh15
So pay a 35 yr old guy $180 million coming off an Achilles injury ?

What other franchise QBs are available and who trades one of these guys until they’re really old on the downside of their careers .
Huh? Thats my point. The Steelers went after an end of career guy and had zero other thoughts in mind. They have mishandled the QB positions for years.

I mean, that was the plan, right? Until he didn't perform up to expectations.

This makes absolutely no sense. They went out an signed to a zero risk $1.2 million contract. He produced more than Pickett last year. Pickett should've stepped up and competed to prove he was indeed the answer. He decided a trade was the better option and the Steelers obliged.
So they have a zero risk has been and waste another year. Lol.

Reactions: goodtymes
You draft him, just as you draft any qb in the first round, because he might be a long term option. There are no guarantees with any first round draft pick, especially qb's. There is a very large graveyard of first round qb failures.
True but at least give him some support - they had Matt Canada and the Pips trying to help in his development.

Reactions: pittmaninwv
The more this turns into a soap the more Kenny looks like a girl. He is the one that didn't want competition.

Not a chance. I never claimed Wilson was going to be any good or lead the Steelers to a deep playoff run. What I do know is that Rudolph is a solid backup, not a full-time starter and he was a free agent. I didn't want him back competing for a starting job. Pickett threw for 13 TDs in 25 games and regressed after his first season. Then he says he doesn't want to compete with an old QB. If he doesn't have the confidence he can go out and dominate to beat out Wilson, then I'm not sure I want him as my QB either.

Maybe Wilson has one more good season in him and it works out. Maybe he stinks and the Steelers finally finish low enough in the standings to draft a highly rated QB. But by no means is that black and gold glasses claiming Wilson is the answer, rather that Pickett and Rudolph were not.
IF (?) the story is true that Tomlin promised that Kenny and Rudolph were going to get a fair shot to compete with Mitch - but Tomlin supposedly reneged on that by “gifting”the starting job to Mitch…then supposedly (again) Tomlin promised Kenny an equal chance to compete against Wilson - then reneged on that, too…..well, if this is all true, then I can see that there was no longer any trust between Kenny and Tomlin.

Reactions: DruidTM
IF (?) the story is true that Tomlin promised that Kenny and Rudolph were going to get a fair shot to compete with Mitch - but Tomlin supposedly reneged on that by “gifting”the starting job to Mitch…then supposedly (again) Tomlin promised Kenny an equal chance to compete against Wilson - then reneged on that, too…..well, if this is all true, then I can see that there was no longer any trust between Kenny and Tomlin.
This 👍

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Huh? Thats my point. The Steelers went after an end of career guy and had zero other thoughts in mind. They have mishandled the QB positions for years.
Their mishandling of the QB situation has been two-fold. Bad OC and failure to have proper offensive personnel along with poor performance by all the QBs. Great QBs will show flashes and will overcome adversity.

So they have a zero risk has been and waste another year. Lol.
A has been who outperformed the first-rounder they just traded away. At the current pace, it'd take Pickett 4 years to match Wilson's TD total from last season.

Let's be real, none of those players were lighting it up. Mitch starting over Kenny his rookie year wasn't exactly the worst thing in the world. Year 2 Kenny was the unquestioned starter. As I keep saying, if Pickett comes in and absolutely lights it up during camp and the preseason, he would force the coaches to start him. If he doesn't win the job, maybe Wilson gets hurt or gets benched for poor performance and he gets another chance that way.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
1.2 vs 180 …..not exactly the same .

So tell me in the last few yrs what QB should’ve they acquired ?

I guess you couldn’t notice a different in the offense the last 3 games of the season !

Just in case you didn’t , they made big plays down the field which opened up the running game and they did it with a guy who was running the scout team the last two years .

lol, those wonderful last 3 games....one was against the Bengals, who Pickett also had a big day in his last full game. The other was against the Ravens who already clinched and I believe rested many starters. The third was against the 8-8 Seahawks who had the 5th worse pass defense in the league.

lol, those wonderful last 3 games....one was against the Bengals, who Pickett also had a big day in his last full game. The other was against the Ravens who already clinched and I believe rested many starters. The third was against the 8-8 Seahawks who had the 5th worse pass defense in the league.
Yeah people don't like that part of the narrative. Let's see how long it takes the local media to stop having Pickett brain. Guess people are going to have to talk about something else now🤯

Guess the Steelers only played great teams all season long and were throwing the ball all over the field and scoring pts in bunches .

Six TDS six and 13 in two yrs !

I wanted KP to succeed as much as anyone , but the reality was he wasn’t very good . Mason stood in there under pressure and delivered , Kenny ducked and ran in circles and missed seeing guys running wide open .

I wanted KP to succeed as much as anyone , but the reality was he wasn’t very good . Mason stood in there under pressure and delivered , Kenny ducked and ran in circles and missed seeing guys running wide open .

I guess you didn't read my post where I mention the quality of competition that Mason faced? And when the game mattered against Buffalo he produced a big L

Last edited:
Reactions: pittbb80
I guess you didn't read my post where I mention the quality of competition that Mason faced? And when the game mattered against Buffalo he produced a big L
I can’t believe anyone who watched thought that Mason was some miracle experience

lol it was one thing to get caught up in the moment but it’s been months now… Rudolph was the recipient of yards after catch against some bad defenses… anyone who can’t admit it now is just being foolish at this point.

I said in the other threads as soon as Tomlin got Wilson there would never be a QB competition. I think that's clear now.

The HC and front office are free to do what they want. However, this bullsh!t of painting Pickett as a disgruntled teammate is low class. They f*cked up drafting and failing to develop him. A joke of an OC, a nobody QB coach, and the worst offensive staff in the NFL.

People can blame KP all they want, but the real problems are still there - minus Canada.

Mason played decently in that game 229 yds and 2 TDS in inclement weather .

You do realize that the Steelers aren’t as good as the Bills and were playing without TJ and half their defense .

You think for a second the Steelers would’ve signed Wilson or traded Kenny if they thought Kenny was the answer !

Bringing Canada back was a major organizational blunder , but KP publicly endorsed the the idea .

I’m a Pitt fan and there was nothing I’d have loved to see more for the Steelers than to have a Pitt guy lead them to a Super Bowl , KP just showed he was never going to be that guy . Terry Bradshaw got benched was call stupid , hillbilly and he couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a , and he also got benched , but he never cried to his agent , he stayed and fought and became a four time Super Bowl champion and that’s what champions do . Kenny will have a nice long NFL career as a backup .

Last edited:
Reactions: Burgh15
This sh*& is so stupid.what did Kenny do against any of the defense?He balled out against the the bengals but they suck right?

I mean, that was the plan, right? Until he didn't perform up to expectations.

This makes absolutely no sense. They went out an signed to a zero risk $1.2 million contract. He produced more than Pickett last year. Pickett should've stepped up and competed to prove he was indeed the answer. He decided a trade was the better option and the Steelers obliged.
And in the meantime Pickett completely screwed himself. Unless Hurts gets hurt, he has zero chance of seeing the field. Not smart.

It's a message board. That's the whole purpose of it. Opinions from posters. Not real hard to figure. You want real insight....talk to Tomlin or Rooney or Kahn. Doubt you would get much there other than stock answers.
Is that the “whole purpose” of a message board? Then maybe your name describes it perfectly.

• Haha
Reactions: pittmeister
Think about it for a second , Kenny did nothing to impress anyone with his tape . No one in the league wants him to be a starter .

The Steelers choosing him as their #1 pick invested heavily on him , the Eagles gave up 20 spots in the draft in the third round and two 7th round picks . If he’s a struggles or becomes a problem in the locker room there they’ll just cut him .

Kenny would‘ve been better off just shutting up and come in ready to win the job .
Actually, there are reports that other teams were interested in KP early in free agency before they signed QBs.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
The more this turns into a soap the more Kenny looks like a girl. He is the one that didn't want competition.
No, he WANTED a competition. A fair one. He was down this road before. Tomlin gives the job to the new guy and there is no competition. Same thing happened when Mitch was brought in. Tomlin said this was an open competition before he signed RW. The minute he signed, he told KP it was RWs job to lose. Not a fair or open competition

No, he WANTED a competition. A fair one. He was down this road before. Tomlin gives the job to the new guy and there is no competition. Same thing happened when Mitch was brought in. Tomlin said this was an open competition before he signed RW. The minute he signed, he told KP it was RWs job to lose. Not a fair or open competition
Of course the guy who threw 26 TDs last season was going to get first crack at first team reps.

Think about it for a second , Kenny did nothing to impress anyone with his tape . No one in the league wants him to be a starter .

The Steelers choosing him as their #1 pick invested heavily on him , the Eagles gave up 20 spots in the draft in the third round and two 7th round picks . If he’s a struggles or becomes a problem in the locker room there they’ll just cut him .

Kenny would‘ve been better off just shutting up and come in ready to win the job .
My view as well.

Their mishandling of the QB situation has been two-fold. Bad OC and failure to have proper offensive personnel along with poor performance by all the QBs. Great QBs will show flashes and will overcome adversity.

A has been who outperformed the first-rounder they just traded away. At the current pace, it'd take Pickett 4 years to match Wilson's TD total from last season.

Let's be real, none of those players were lighting it up. Mitch starting over Kenny his rookie year wasn't exactly the worst thing in the world. Year 2 Kenny was the unquestioned starter. As I keep saying, if Pickett comes in and absolutely lights it up during camp and the preseason, he would force the coaches to start him. If he doesn't win the job, maybe Wilson gets hurt or gets benched for poor performance and he gets another chance that way.
You flip flop more than a fish.

The Steelers have horribly mismanaged the QB position even while Ben was leading them to one and done playoff performances.

But to rectify all of that we take a flyer on a QB who was released from a team that got beat 70-20 against Dolphins and replaced him with a no name back up because Wilson was struggling per their media. And a money scenario that they wanted to get away from as well and oh yeah talk of locker room problems. But guess what he was cheap. So thats all that matters.

Its like replacing the lemon of a car you bought during the pandemic with a 150,000 mile Chrysler Pacifica and think that solves everything.

To be clear I am extremely disappointed in the play of Pickett after an historic preseason. He then played poorly and screwed up the PR part of an athletes life in any sport. At the end of the season I posted that this was all on him and he needed to show seriousness towards changing. And he didn’t.

But right now the Steelers are selling you bologna and Trying to call it beef tenderloin.

wtf. They jettisoned a 1st round pick and wasted time for nothing. Something happened with him.

If we had been forward thinking maybe Jalen Hurts instead of Chase Claypool.
Why not Brock Purdy , nobody thought either of those two guys could be franchise QBs . It’s a lot easier to look back !

Look at the 21 class five 1st rounders and depending on what happens with Fields only Trevor Lawerence is with the team that drafted him . In 2018 Mayfield was selected before Josh Allen as was Sam Daronld . Josh Rosen was taken before Lamar Jackson . Let’s not forget a guy named Tom Brady , he was a 6th round pick . At best it’s an educated guess at Qb and guys studying tape 20 hrs a day screw it up all the time .

The Steelers got to see Kenny close up for two years and my guess is that had they thought for a second that Kenny was the man and the struggles were due solely to he incompetence of the OC he’d still be here . You don’t trade away young superstar Qbs .

Now had the Steelers traded for Wilson and paid the price that the Broncos did that would have been a major mistake . To get a franchise Qb you need to be lucky or trade your future away for an aging veteran , the Steelers went to the bargain basement and hopefully got a bargain and if not they didn’t ruin their franchise. Great now Hugh upside minimum downside .

True. Just be honest. Tell Kenny he’s demoted. Don’t call it a competition when it’s not.
Terry Bradshaw lost his job twice , to Terry Hannraty and then Joe Gilliam and won it back that’s what winners do .

Come in and show them they made a mistake don’t cry like a baby .

Why not Brock Purdy , nobody thought either of those two guys could be franchise QBs . It’s a lot easier to look back !

Look at the 21 class five 1st rounders and depending on what happens with Fields only Trevor Lawerence is with the team that drafted him . In 2018 Mayfield was selected before Josh Allen as was Sam Daronld . Josh Rosen was taken before Lamar Jackson . Let’s not forget a guy named Tom Brady , he was a 6th round pick . At best it’s an educated guess at Qb and guys studying tape 20 hrs a day screw it up all the time .

The Steelers got to see Kenny close up for two years and my guess is that had they thought for a second that Kenny was the man and the struggles were due solely to he incompetence of the OC he’d still be here . You don’t trade away young superstar Qbs .

Now had the Steelers traded for Wilson and paid the price that the Broncos did that would have been a major mistake . To get a franchise Qb you need to be lucky or trade your future away for an aging veteran , the Steelers went to the bargain basement and hopefully got a bargain and if not they didn’t ruin their franchise. Great now Hugh upside minimum downside .
You asked. I answered. Hope. That’s not how you run a champion Organization and that is my point with the Steelers now and for the last decade really. If what i am reading is true then this wasn’t entirely Pickett not wanting to compete but personally being told one thing by the organization and then the organization reneging. How do you work for any company you no longer trust?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT