ADVERTISEMENT

What Could Be Done

Mr. Monaca

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
I know this topic is a tired one, to say the least, but I want to chime-in again based upon yesterday's John Steigerwald column in the Pittsburgh Sports Report.

The area above the Petersen Center is probably the last parcel on the Pitt campus with enough acreage to build a small stadium. According to the conversation Steigerwald had with the designer from HBK (or whatever they're called, now), that parcel is large enough and is under the control of the university. I really believe that if this is a possibility, it must be explored, and if it it feasible, it should be executed.

For the moment let's assume (and I know it's a big assumption) that it's found to be feasible and reasonable from a cost standpoint. The problem that would have to be tackled within the design is the movement of people to and from the stadium on game days. If you've ever tried getting to the top of the hill for a men's basketball game at the Pete, you'll know how difficult it is to gain access to that part of the campus. With a potential 40K people going to/from that spot in a somewhat simultaneous fashion, the congestion would be unbearable. We were able to get to Pitt Stadium but of course there was parking available above it, on the very site now being talked about for a new stadium. However, it was always uncomfortable walking up the hills to get there - certainly not ideal and definitely not fun.

So - I think the university could come up with a "fun" way to get people to the top of the hill that would not only be functional, but could also become a beloved game day feature. I don't have a fully -formed concept, but something like the trolley cars in San Francisco could be the conveyance vehicles taking people up the hill. Definitely not school buses or even charter buses, but something that people could jump on and off. Or maybe an elevated rail system...but something that would be unique and easily accessible. And perhaps that system could approach the top of the hill from both sides...that is - from the Fifth Avenue side and also from the side that runs below the Cost Center.

Anyway - if that 40K stadium can be built for $250K or so, it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, but the key to it's success will be the movement of people. (Of course a winning football program will help quite a bit, too!) Surely there have to be some folks within our own university system who can develop some interesting ideas to move people to the top of the hill that will be efficient and also fun.

Let's go Pitt...we can do this!

$250K? Besides the fact that an on-campus stadium isn't going to happen in any of our lifetimes, spending $250K on a stadium isn't reasonable. Maybe closer to $100MM for a cheap route. Maybe you meant $250MM, as that would probably be the going rate for a decent stadium. That definitely isn't going to happen unless there's a donor out there that's willing to cough up most of that money and the rest of the fanbase suddenly contributes the remainder. Just not going to happen.

$250K? Besides the fact that an on-campus stadium isn't going to happen in any of our lifetimes, spending $250K on a stadium isn't reasonable. Maybe closer to $100MM for a cheap route. Maybe you meant $250MM, as that would probably be the going rate for a decent stadium. That definitely isn't going to happen unless there's a donor out there that's willing to cough up most of that money and the rest of the fanbase suddenly contributes the remainder. Just not going to happen.

Of course he meant million.

Why wouldn’t Pitt set a target date and create a donations pool for it? Let people who want it put their money where their mouth is.

Lol. No one in the Pitt administration is even thinking about building a new stadium. LET IT GO

Of course - I meant $250 million. And yes it is very reasonable. That much money could be raised. UPMC is spending $2 Billion on three new hospitals.

People want to know where their money is going for any fundraiser. I'm only going to donate if Pitt comes out and says the only way we can make the stadium happen is fundraising with financial updates. I'm not going to support any bad spending habits like Heinz Field because I don't believe in it. No different than any other fundraiser.

Of course - I meant $250 million. And yes it is very reasonable. That much money could be raised. UPMC is spending $2 Billion on three new hospitals.

LOL! Money for a stadium can't be compared with money on 3 hospitals that actually serve a purpose to help save people's lives. 2 very different levels of importance here. And UPMC is a totally separate entity from Pitt, using the Pitt Medical School as only their research arm. Plus UPMC has the money to grow their business. Pitt has to rely on donations and gifts from the ACC, which are in a different price level than anything UPMC is in. You're comparing nickels and dimes to $1000 dollar bills.

But I guess you'll have to keep on having your pipe dreams. Maybe reality will set in one day when this talk is still going on 50 years from now and still no on-campus stadium.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I thought many of the X big name players said, they could help raise a lot of money towards it, why not give it a shot! And everyone that was for tearing down Pitt stadium, you are the people that hate Pitt football, if we are being honest

LOL! Money for a stadium can't be compared with money on 3 hospitals that actually serve a purpose to help save people's lives. 2 very different levels of importance here. And UPMC is a totally separate entity from Pitt, using the Pitt Medical School as only their research arm. Plus UPMC has the money to grow their business. Pitt has to rely on donations and gifts from the ACC, which are in a different price level than anything UPMC is in. You're comparing nickels and dimes to $1000 dollar bills.

But I guess you'll have to keep on having your pipe dreams. Maybe reality will set in one day when this talk is still going on 50 years from now and still no on-campus stadium.

I suddenly remembered why I stopped posting on these message boards. It's because of people like you with condescending attitudes. Thank you for reminding me...I'll never post again.

I suddenly remembered why I stopped posting on these message boards. It's because of people like you with condescending attitudes. Thank you for reminding me...I'll never post again.

Nothing condescending at all. Just reality. Football can't be compared to saving lives.

And people like you remind me why this board is not a true representation of the Pitt fanbase. Hopefully, the general Pitt fanbase isn't like you.

Nothing condescending at all. Just reality. Football can't be compared to saving lives.

And people like you remind me why this board is not a true representation of the Pitt fanbase. Hopefully, the general Pitt fanbase isn't like you.

This message board is an exact representation of Pitt's loyal fan base.

Pitt needs to come out and say if you want a new stadium, here's the amount of money we need, if you can raise it, we'll build it, if we can't then shut up about it and enjoy Heinz Field forever.

Heinz Field sucks. I can't believe we can't even explore a new stadium. South freaking Florida is.

Football , if done right , could enhance everything at Pitt including the hospitals, it brings in more money. It would then enhance the whole campus as well. NFL gets paid lots more money than a doctor , as my son will be one here shortly , for a reason! This is 2017, you can really make something spectacular out of a great school, campus, football team right now.

I would like to find out just one time , what a properly managed football program at Pitt would and could look like, just once!

How come every other P5 (and smaller) University can manage to focus on things like Education, Health Sciences and Research AND manage athletics, except Pitt, where all its attention has to be on the first items. Your attitude is the exact same attitude of the curmudgeons who have mismanaged and effed up Pitt football for 35 years.

Football , if done right , could enhance everything at Pitt including the hospitals, it brings in more money. It would then enhance the whoe campus as well. NFL gets paid lots more money than a doctor , as my son will be one here shortly , for a reason! This is 2017, you can really make something spectacular out if a great school, campus, football team right now.

Serious question: what redeeming value does football bring to the region and to Pitt? Compare that to what real value hospitals have for Pitt and for the region, more importantly. No comparison. And no, college football doesn't bring in more money than the medical profession in Pittsburgh or anywhere. The medical field and UPMC are the largest revenue generators and employers in the Pittsburgh region.

Comparing salaries of doctors with NFL players, besides showing the obvious foolishness of paying dumb primadonnas so much to play with their balls, demonstrates that doctors are drastically underpaid and NFL players are drastically overpaid.

I agree that Pitt football COULD someday be made into something exciting. We already have a great school, better than most in this country in many ways. But football is just entertainment and we don't have the people in the administration that know anything about marketing or promoting an institution. We also have a mayor who doesn't have a clue about what the university means to his city. So that combination is a killer for your proposal.

Heinz Field is not killing Pitt. Pitt sucked for the majority of the final 60 years before moving to Heinz. Pitt is killing Pitt. Building a new stadium won't fix jack shit.

How come every other P5 (and smaller) University can manage to focus on things like Education, Health Sciences and Research AND manage athletics, except Pitt, where all its attention has to be on the first items. Your attitude is the exact same attitude of the curmudgeons who have mismanaged and effed up Pitt football for 35 years.

To answer your question, that's because Pitt as an institution has large sums of money for the research and academics part and very little money for the athletics part. Those other institutions that you elude to with a broad brush, many have much more money on the athletics side. We don't. Pretty simple.

It isn't me. It's the state of things as they exist at Pitt.

Why won't they let it go? Why? BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING THAT HAS TO BE DONE BECAUSE HEINZ FIELD IS KILLING THIS FOOTBALL PROGRAM!

I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not...but Pitt is 120-92 (56.6 winning percentage) since Heinz Field opened in 2001 with eight seasons with eight or more wins. In the 17 seasons prior to Heinz Field, Pitt was 80-107-5 (41.7 winning percentage) and two seasons with eight or more wins.

While I love the idea of an on-campus stadium, it's really not practical. Besides very limited space to build that's accessible, there are the added inconveniences of awful traffic and little parking. Without a light rail option to take you to the stadium, there isn't adequate public transportation to get you to the stadium.

Heinz Field has the amenities that far surpass most college stadiums, has parking both on site and is easily accessible from other areas of town through public transportation or an easy walk. Make it an appropriate capacity with a crowd that fills the seats and you have a better atmosphere for the in-game experience and a better appearance for TV.

Fans need to accept Heinz Field and administration needs to accept that they have to reduce capacity. More importantly, increase the football budget to hire a better staff to get the most out of the players they are able to recruit.

Serious question: what redeeming value does football bring to the region and to Pitt? Compare that to what real value hospitals have for Pitt and for the region, more importantly. No comparison. And no, college football doesn't bring in more money than the medical profession in Pittsburgh or anywhere. The medical field and UPMC are the largest revenue generators and employers in the Pittsburgh region.

Comparing salaries of doctors with NFL players, besides showing the obvious foolishness of paying dumb primadonnas so much to play with their balls, demonstrates that doctors are drastically underpaid and NFL players are drastically overpaid.

I agree that Pitt football COULD someday be made into something exciting. We already have a great school, better than most in this country in many ways. But football is just entertainment and we don't have the people in the administration that know anything about marketing or promoting an institution. We also have a mayor who doesn't have a clue about what the university means to his city. So that combination is a killer for your proposal.

I agree with a lot of what you just posted. Pitt has been it's worst enemy as well. They , for 40 years now , and currently , couldn't manage a football program to save our lives, or to even developed one and or have any foresight at all. NEW LEADERSHIP will have to take over, pro Pitt top tier sports leadership that is. You don't hire our current AD if you are serious about football, not that she is a woman, but her resume regardless.

To answer your question, that's because Pitt as an institution has large sums of money for the research and academics part and very little money for the athletics part. Those other institutions that you elude to with a broad brush, many have much more money on the athletics side. We don't. Pretty simple.

It isn't me. It's the state of things as they exist at Pitt.

Temple and USF are exploring the idea? Why cant Pitt?

UAB and SDSU are close to getting their own stadiums, though off-campus.

Why can't Pitt at least do a feasibility study?

I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not...but Pitt is 120-92 (56.6 winning percentage) since Heinz Field opened in 2001 with eight seasons with eight or more wins. In the 17 seasons prior to Heinz Field, Pitt was 80-107-5 (41.7 winning percentage) and two seasons with eight or more wins.

While I love the idea of an on-campus stadium, it's really not practical. Besides very limited space to build that's accessible, there are the added inconveniences of awful traffic and little parking. Without a light rail option to take you to the stadium, there isn't adequate public transportation to get you to the stadium.

Heinz Field has the amenities that far surpass most college stadiums, has parking both on site and is easily accessible from other areas of town through public transportation or an easy walk. Make it an appropriate capacity with a crowd that fills the seats and you have a better atmosphere for the in-game experience and a better appearance for TV.

Fans need to accept Heinz Field and administration needs to accept that they have to reduce capacity. More importantly, increase the football budget to hire a better staff to get the most out of the players they are able to recruit.

Actually fans will be accepting it less and less as time goes on, so Pitt better have a solution , status quo isn't it!

Nice try loser. I have an engineering degree from Pitt. I have a graduate degree from Lehigh. I was a student at Pitt when Pitt won its last National Championship, so I've witnessed first hand Pitt's ineptitude.

Regarding getting into Pitt, I think I would. My children got admitted to Pitt and I encouraged them to go elsewhere. So I wouldn't attend Pitt again.

So if I am to believe what you wrote, and I don't, you are a well-educated engineer who doesn't have a clue about what's important at Pitt in order to remain a viable educational institution in this economy. If you have the degrees you say you do, you aren't very smart. But well-educated people aren't necessarily very smart. And they're everywhere as witnessed by your post.

It's always amazing to see people tell others they're wrong, and to shut up about it. A stadium would definately enhance the program, and not having one does affect recruiting. It's a major selling feature at most universities, but it takes a commitment, not telling others to let it go. I would never let it go, and I wouldn't give the time of day to those so closed minded. A very nice stadium could easily be built for 250-300 million, and it be worth every penny.

Pitt subsidizes the athletic department because we are so bad at drawing fans and donations. Do you think paying for upkeep on a stadium will make that less of a problem? Attendance won't increase. In fact, it will likely decrease after a year or two as people get sick of dealing with Oakland traffic. Less revenue and more expenses for a program already running in the red sounds brilliant!

It's always amazing to see people tell others they're wrong, and to shut up about it. A stadium would definately enhance the program, and not having one does affect recruiting. It's a major selling feature at most universities, but it takes a commitment, not telling others to let it go. I would never let it go, and I wouldn't give the time if day to those so closed minded. A very nice stadium could easily be built for 250-300 million, and it be worth every penny.

The thing is, they don't even try. Have a fundraising campaign. Lets see if we can raise the money. Maybe we cant but lets see. I'll tell you this. SMF will write a very large check (for SMF standards anyway as I am no Teppet) for this project that I believe in. That would still be pocket change compared to what's needed but my point is that I'd bet there are a lot of folks like me, who can give far more than they currently do to a project that they feel is absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Pitt subsidizes the athletic department because we are so bad at drawing fans and donations. Do you think paying for upkeep on a stadium will make that less of a problem? Attendance won't increase. In fact, it will likely decrease after a year or two as people get sick of dealing with Oakland traffic. Less revenue and more expenses for a program already running in the red sounds brilliant!

Why would they build a basketball arena then? Why not just share PPG paints arena and use the property for another hospital or something?

With the lyke/narduzzi rift, nobody thinks it's possible narduzzi told her pitt needs a new stadium? I mean I know he's stubborn, but what does he want to happen that he's so adamant about not tarping? Heinz is too big, I can see his side of not tarping, but my god we are all sick of seeing empty yellow seats.

It's always amazing to see people tell others they're wrong, and to shut up about it. A stadium would definately enhance the program, and not having one does affect recruiting. It's a major selling feature at most universities, but it takes a commitment, not telling others to let it go. I would never let it go, and I wouldn't give the time of day to those so closed minded. A very nice stadium could easily be built for 250-300 million, and it be worth every penny.

If building a new stadium would elevate a program, everyone would do it. How'd it work out for Minnesota? The attendance numbers are comparable, granted with a higher capacity due to reduced seating. However, the on-field performance really hasn't changed.

If building a new stadium would elevate a program, everyone would do it. How'd it work out for Minnesota? The attendance numbers are comparable, granted with a higher capacity due to reduced seating. However, the on-field performance really hasn't changed.

Everyone is doing it , or trying to , haven't you noticed , or Pitt been blinding you ?

With the lyke/narduzzi rift, nobody thinks it's possible narduzzi told her pitt needs a new stadium? I mean I know he's stubborn, but what does he want to happen that he's so adamant about not tarping? Heinz is too big, I can see his side of not tarping, but my god we are all sick of seeing empty yellow seats.

Not the biggest Duzz fan at all, I heard how he came off to recruits etc, saying that , I 100 agree with him over needing money for coaches and his stance on tarps, he knows his program better than she does , I doubt she ever was recruited , played , or kicked a football in her lifetime , those are just facts

Reactions: Pittx9
Not the biggest Duzz fan at all, I heard how he came off to recruits etc, saying that , I 100 agree with him over needing money for coaches and his stance on tarps, he knows his program better than she does , I doubt she ever was recruited , played , or kicked a football in her lifetime , those are just facts
I agree with narduzzi on the money issue too. What's sad is it appears with what they offered Canada the money they're willing to spend on assistants is much, much more than they've been willing to in a long, long time. Coaches coming here and then realizing they can't put together the top staff they have envisioned is nothing new at Pitt.

Reactions: TD_istheman
I agree with narduzzi on the money issue too. What's sad is it appears with what they offered Canada the money they're willing to spend on assistants is much, much more than they've been willing to in a long, long time. Coaches coming here and then realizing they can't put together the top staff they have envisioned is nothing new at Pitt.

I don't believe they made that offer in reality. They offered knowing he wasn't going to take it, a Nutting tactic , because if they really offered that, why didn't they allow him to spend that to get a top 10 to 20 coordinator?

Also that's why looking back, Wanny should be a hero, he did so much with nothing , he even gave his salary to asst coaches , he was here for one reason , LOVE OF PITT!

Reactions: Pittx9
I know this topic is a tired one, to say the least, but I want to chime-in again based upon yesterday's John Steigerwald column in the Pittsburgh Sports Report.

The area above the Petersen Center is probably the last parcel on the Pitt campus with enough acreage to build a small stadium. According to the conversation Steigerwald had with the designer from HBK (or whatever they're called, now), that parcel is large enough and is under the control of the university. I really believe that if this is a possibility, it must be explored, and if it it feasible, it should be executed.

For the moment let's assume (and I know it's a big assumption) that it's found to be feasible and reasonable from a cost standpoint. The problem that would have to be tackled within the design is the movement of people to and from the stadium on game days. If you've ever tried getting to the top of the hill for a men's basketball game at the Pete, you'll know how difficult it is to gain access to that part of the campus. With a potential 40K people going to/from that spot in a somewhat simultaneous fashion, the congestion would be unbearable. We were able to get to Pitt Stadium but of course there was parking available above it, on the very site now being talked about for a new stadium. However, it was always uncomfortable walking up the hills to get there - certainly not ideal and definitely not fun.

So - I think the university could come up with a "fun" way to get people to the top of the hill that would not only be functional, but could also become a beloved game day feature. I don't have a fully -formed concept, but something like the trolley cars in San Francisco could be the conveyance vehicles taking people up the hill. Definitely not school buses or even charter buses, but something that people could jump on and off. Or maybe an elevated rail system...but something that would be unique and easily accessible. And perhaps that system could approach the top of the hill from both sides...that is - from the Fifth Avenue side and also from the side that runs below the Cost Center.

Anyway - if that 40K stadium can be built for $250K or so, it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, but the key to it's success will be the movement of people. (Of course a winning football program will help quite a bit, too!) Surely there have to be some folks within our own university system who can develop some interesting ideas to move people to the top of the hill that will be efficient and also fun.

Let's go Pitt...we can do this!
I won't be happy til that land is used for either a hospital or a hotel.

Reactions: runshadyrun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT