ADVERTISEMENT

What has to happen over next 12 months for you to feel better about Stallings?

pittpitt

Freshman
Nov 30, 2002
1) What level of on-court success in this next season is acceptable for the situation?
Some ways of considering this:
---What if we go 22-12? That's our average record over past 3 years.
---What if we go 20-14, but our OOC schedule has more real challenges?
---What if we limp into the NCAAT and win 1 game before losing to a decent team? (we've won 1 NCAAT game in last 5 seasons)
---What if we go into NCAAT with 25-ish wins as a decent seed but get embarrassed?
---What if we start slow with new system, have growing pains, go to NIT & maybe win a couple there, ending something like 19-15, but our style of play is much more entertaining which most fans enjoy or find promising?

2) What would you consider acceptable recruiting over the next year?
---Do we have to keep both Kithcart and Manigault? (I know Clark, but these are the 2 long-term pieces)
---Do you expect him to add a top-150 recruit to this class? There are 114 4*/5* recruits in this class (I mention this for context for the "add a 4* recruit" crowd). There are only 5 unsigned recruits between #21 - #150 west of California (FL, NC, IN, NH, NH [the 2 kids at Brewster in NH are from NJ and CO] -- all 5 ranked between 84 and 141). #119 and #126 are a SG and SF currently committed to Vandy.
---Does he have to sign a certain amount of 4* recruits in 2017? Pitt has had a total of 1 4* recruit over the last 3 classes. but 2 each in the 2 prior classes (includes 5* Adams).
---Thoughts on him offering 3* PG Aaron Thompson today? He's from VA and his best offers are Miami, VCU, GT, SMU, Temple, Nebraska. ESPN says he's the 24th best PG.

Last edited:
1) What level of on-court success in this next season is acceptable for the situation?
---What if we limp into the NCAAT and win 1 game before losing to a decent team? (we've won 1 NCAAT game in last 5 seasons)
---What if we go into NCAAT with 25-ish wins as a decent seed but get embarrassed?
---What if we start slow with new system, have growing pains, go to NIT & maybe win a couple there, ending something like 19-15, but our style of play is much more entertaining which most fans enjoy or find promising?

---Do we have to keep both Kithcart and Manigault? (I know Clark, but these are the 2 long-term pieces)
---Do you expect him to add a top-150 recruit to this class? There are 114 4*/5* recruits in this class (I mention this for context for the "add a 4* recruit" crowd). There are only 5 unsigned recruits between #21 - #150 west of California (FL, NC, IN, NH, NH [the 2 kids at Brewster in NH are from NJ and CO] -- all 5 ranked between 84 and 141). #119 and #126 are a SG and SF currently committed to Vandy.
---Does he have to sign a certain amount of 4* recruits in 2017? Pitt has had a total of 1 4* recruit over the last 3 classes. but 2 each in the 2 prior classes (includes 5* Adams).
---Thoughts on him offering 3* PG Aaron Thompson today? He's from VA and his best offers are Miami, VCU, GT, SMU, Temple, Nebraska. ESPN says he's the 24th best PG.
Sweet 16

Reactions: PittPoker
I actually think he will make the tournament next year and even possibly win a game. I think year 2 will be an NIT year. Them year 3 must show improvement hopefully back in the NCAAs. Year 4 will require a run to the 2nd weekend. If not he must get to the Sweet 16 in year 5 or he is gonzo. I think it's fair to expect 3 of the next 5 years they make the NCAAs and either two sweet 16s or at least one elite8/final four

Reactions: pittpitt
I don't know if I'd go as far as Seth Greenberg and call next year a Top 15ish type of team, but it should be a good team. The cupboard isn't bare. A strong showing is pretty much a requirement.

Don't care much about the Tournament. If Pitt goes 29-5 and loses in the Round of 32 I'll feel much better about him than if he goes 17-15 and makes a Sweet 16 or Elite Eight run from the First Four.

Don't care about recruiting, really. At least not stars/rankings.

Obviously making 3 NCAA Tournaments in the next 4 years and an average record of 10-8 is expected. It's not asking much. And he's being spotted a team that should be a game or two above 10-8 in Conference and make the Dance.

Reactions: pittpitt
I imagine he will have results similar to what he did at Vandy over the last few years. Mostly miss the tournament, but get there maybe 2 of 5 years and NIT another 1 or 2 and that will be just enough for Pitt to be facing the same crossroads and questions about expectations as they try to hire the next coach. That time they will do it without the boon of a huge buyout from Stallings and instead will pay him to leave. They will then have to take a risk on a worse pool of upside candidates and likely fall even further back.

That is my prediction.

Stallings would have to make the Sweet 16 and land a top 20 recruiting class for 2017 to get me even close to his side. I want to say I am done with Pitt basketball until Stallings and Barnes are fired, but I will probably just watch from afar and be caught somewhere between cheering for them to keep slim NCAAT chances alive and just tank to get those two out quicker.

If he comes close to last season then I am fine with his first season. Anything beyond that is really good.

He is taking over kids he does not know and a conference he does not know. If anyone is expecting more than what Dixon did the last few years you are being unrealistic. And that would be the same for any person we would have hired including Brandin.

In the future, I would like to see a more pleasing out of conference schedule and maybe a few more visits to other people's arenas. If that causes us not to make a tourney then so be it.

I am ok with competitiveness in the ACC, 7th position or above as each year unfolds. Conference tourney I would like to see some years where we make a run but ok if we don't year after year.

NCAAT, I don't want us to lose to lower seeds as often as we have and I would like to see us more often beat a better seed.

Interesting question posed. I was extremely satisfied with narduzzi even though we finished 8-5. 2016 offers a much more difficult schedule, but if we finished 8-5 I would be satisfied again, though I predict more wins right now on paper. The thing about narduzzi is I saw absolutely no red flags with preparation and in game management. Yeah he probably should have gone for it on 4th down against iowa, but the guy showed he learned and his gutsy call on 4th down against Syracuse was the key to winning the game.

So to answer with stallings, it is somewhat based on the eye test. As someone said above, if he can keep the team together and more importantly keep the signed recruits on board, the cupboard is not bare. We should be a tournament team next year. I will not blame him if players transfer and recruits are allowed to leave as that really isn't his fault though you could say if players leave his record didn't inspire them to stay.

Realistically next year tournament, two years to rebuild roster. Year 4 and 5 are mandatory improvement and we make the tournament from here on out. Anything less, fire the guy in 4 or 5 years. If he suceeds, allow year 6, extend him 3 more years and bring in fresh blood. If we turn into BC basketball after 3 years, fire barnes, and then let the next ad hire a new coach.

Ultimately it boils down to the eye test for me. Lots of moving pieces at work here

Without Kithcart Pitt really doesn't have a point guard. With Kithcart they have a freshman point guard. So if he comes to Pitt it's going to be all about how ready to play he is. A lot of pressure for a freshman. Plus whose staying whose going does he bring anyone else in so next year can't be evaluated just yet. Barnes talked about better recruiting so better players actually signing LOI. Future results need to be a steady climb up in the ACC and actually winning tournament games.
No choice at this point we just have to sit back and see what happens and root for the best .Time will tell whose righ about this hire,let's hope we're all wrong

Top 25 Recruiting class and at least 1 win in the tournament to get to the round of 32.

Stallings needs to-

1. Retain all key returning players from current roster and all incoming recruits.

2. Land a top 20 recruit class on LOI day in November.

3. Finishes at or above 0.500 in the ACC with at least 21 wins overall and an NCAA bid.

In other words, no regression from what we would have expected Dixon to accomplish. We are not and should not be in a rebuilding mode--the cupboard is not bare and blowing things up and starting over is not acceptable. We are at a decent place and need to move forward rather than backward. If he doesn't do that we will know it to be a failed hire, IMHO.

Stallings needs to make the field of 64, no first four games. That is my litmus test. Everything else is worthless. I'll give him time to build on that, but it's NCAA or BUST next year. If he can't do it, I don't blame him. I blame Barnes as he put his guy in to this position. Pitt has enough talent to repeat a trip to the NCAA and UVA & UNC are both going to be down a bit from this year due to attrition.

Success for Stallings would be for him to visit each and every "donor" who has threatened to cancel everything and kneel before them and kiss their feet because they are bigger than the program.....If he keeps 90% on board then I don't care how the season goes.....

Remember Coach Stallings it is all about Pitt fans and nothing else........

I imagine he will have results similar to what he did at Vandy over the last few years. Mostly miss the tournament, but get there maybe 2 of 5 years and NIT another 1 or 2 and that will be just enough for Pitt to be facing the same crossroads and questions about expectations as they try to hire the next coach. That time they will do it without the boon of a huge buyout from Stallings and instead will pay him to leave. They will then have to take a risk on a worse pool of upside candidates and likely fall even further back.

That is my prediction.

Stallings would have to make the Sweet 16 and land a top 20 recruiting class for 2017 to get me even close to his side. I want to say I am done with Pitt basketball until Stallings and Barnes are fired, but I will probably just watch from afar and be caught somewhere between cheering for them to keep slim NCAAT chances alive and just tank to get those two out quicker.

This is pretty much how I feel.

I am not sure how anyone can make a prediction without seeing the roster. There is a 90% or better chance that our projected roster will be different. Does anybody really think all the current players and recruits will be on the roster come October?

I don't know if I'd go as far as Seth Greenberg and call next year a Top 15ish type of team, but it should be a good team. The cupboard isn't bare. A strong showing is pretty much a requirement.

Don't care much about the Tournament. If Pitt goes 29-5 and loses in the Round of 32 I'll feel much better about him than if he goes 17-15 and makes a Sweet 16 or Elite Eight run from the First Four.

Don't care about recruiting, really. At least not stars/rankings.

Obviously making 3 NCAA Tournaments in the next 4 years and an average record of 10-8 is expected. It's not asking much. And he's being spotted a team that should be a game or two above 10-8 in Conference and make the Dance.
I think any guessing (that's really all we do.) should wait until we see how the roster will change.....and if the incoming 3 guys show up. Not many really good kids still available as frosh...so we may see more grad transfers. Our ACC slate is brutal next year.

Make the tournament...if he can make the tournament coming in cold turkey with the remaining players, then I'll feel he can build on it with his guys. The following 12 months is about recruiting..

I am not sure how anyone can make a prediction without seeing the roster. There is a 90% or better chance that our projected roster will be different. Does anybody really think all the current players and recruits will be on the roster come October?
Him bringing back the roster is part of judging his hire and expectations. If he loses guys it is on him and Barnes and he will have to deal with it being harder to pass the litmus test.

Look I am not happy with Stallings, but to say top 20 or even 30 class? Lets be realistic here
If he gets a Top 40 considering our past class rankings I would be happy
That and at least make it to the round of 32 and further if we are facing lower seeds beyond that.

To me I believe that to be realistic goals that would make me more comfortable about this hire

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT