ADVERTISEMENT

What is your expectation for this program?

What would you be satisfied with?

• Just having a team, if they win some games and make the NCAAT, that's just a bonus

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • A bubble program. Usually fighting for 7-12 seeds, sometimes get in, sometimes not

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Fairly consistent upper-tier ACC program, double byes, consistent 3-6 seeds in NCAAT

Votes: 52 68.4%
  • Top 10 program, 1-4 seeds consistently, fighting for ACC championships, basically the good ole days

Votes: 12 15.8%

• Total voters
I don't quite understand why people still cling to this idea of "capitalizing" on prime years. After Nova beat us in 2009, they failed harder than Pitt has. After WVU made a F4, the failed harder than Pitt has. Both of those programs, under the same coaches, have turned it around already. Clearly, the idea that making a Final Four destines your program for sustained greatness and recruiting infallibility is false.

Dixon has to find the formula to return to success, as Wright and Huggins did, or else he'll be out of a job soon.

Fair point. I think that even tho WVU made a F4 we still had a longer sustained run. I never expected - to use the words common on here - Pitt to be a blue blood or even elite. I was hoping they could remain at whatever the next level is with occasional deep runs and if the stars all lined up - then a F4 and hope for the best. So maybe I'm just guilty of hoping/wishing. But I never thought sustained greatness was possible just to be clear.

Moe, I to, Have a history with Pitt that dates back to the early 70's. As for what you have written, I could not have said it any better. I agree totally, but would add one thing.

It is really hard to have expectations when those responsible for getting behind it are not doing their part. My expectations for both football and basketball will be ratcheting up now that we have a chancellor and AD who are committed to giving our coaches the resources they need to be competitive at a high level./QUOTE]

I agree that having a Chancellor who values the competition in athletics to equal that of what is produced in the classroom, labs, et al, is a plus. I can think of many fine academic institutions where athletics are both important and relevant. The ACC, the B1G and the PAC 12 (perhaps to a lesser degree) all have multiple schools ranked well within the Top 75 academically, and whose schools are also ranked regularly in Top 25 polls for various athletics (football, basketball, baseball, et al). Pitt needs to be one of the latter . . . consistently . . . as we are already one of the former . . .

Sure I want Pitt's teams to win. A late season collapse like last year was hard to take, but even last year's target of this Board's venom, Cam Wright, overcame both injury and the death of a parent. He was the ACC scholar of the year and developed (I think) to the best of his abilities. What more do you want from a kid?

I don't know Cam Wright but he seemed like he was a great kid. The kind of kid you'd like as a son, son-in-law, employee, etc, but not as a starting shooting guard on your favorite team. The kid had to overcome a lot and probably has more mental toughness than maybe 2 players (who I wont name) combined......but he simply wasnt very good. Great, great kid, nice 8th man off the bench but if he has to start for 3 years, that's the sign of a big problem.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
But I never thought sustained greatness was possible just to be clear.

Sustained greatness wasn't possible but I felt like sustained "pretty goodness was."

We were a Top 10 program from 02-05

06 was down.

07-08 was where I thought this program would flat line (4, 5 seeds)

09-11 we were Top 10 again.

But then its bubble or worse. So, we essentially skipped a whole step. Outside of 06-07, we were either Top 10, bubble or worse. I think this program can be one of those 10-25 programs, getting 3-6 seeds, making a Sweet 16 every 3 years or so.

Then don't participate, Jesus Christ are you obnoxious. Do you get paid for posts on this site?
My participation is likewise meaningless.

It's clear plenty here don't have that level of self-awareness..as though their angst and high standards matter to influence decisions regarding the program.

I serve as the reality check.
You're welcome.

Man, you and Souf love to troll.

I think everybody realized what I was trying to say. I even clarified the OP with the question of what you would be satisfied with.

If I go into McDonald's, my expectation is the food will be edible. If it is, I am satisfied. If I go to LeMont, my expectation is it should be one of the best dinners I'll have all year. If its not, I'm not satisfied. How much simpler can I make it?

I expect Pitt to be a consistent Top 25 program, in that 3-6 seed range. Sometimes a bit higher is great, sometimes a bit lower is ok.

But 5 years in a row of bubble or worse does not me my expectations or satisfy what I want to see this team do.

But I know, I dont buy season tickets so that should be a prerequisite for any post on a free message board.

Now, lets have another 100 posts about the definitions of expectation, satisfaction, acceptance, etc. Lets analyze this thing like crazy. Maybe let's make a whole new thread since this one doesn't meet you and Souf's expectations.

You're buying McDonald's, is the point. SO your expectations for best meal all year are silly. In fact, you aren't even buying McDonald's at full price, you're using coupons.

Pretty easy concept.

Reactions: KiwiJeff
That wasn't the question though. It's like you think the world will stop if you sit a thread out. You have self awareness? Lol. You think you're the smartest guy in every room. I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well my friend. Either people want to be around you or they don't.

My participation is likewise meaningless.

It's clear plenty here don't have that level of self-awareness..as though their angst and high standards matter to influence decisions regarding the program.

I serve as the reality check.
You're welcome.

sat·is·fac·to·ry
adjective: satisfactory
fulfilling expectations or needs; acceptable, though not outstanding or perfect.

I expect Pitt to have years of 3-6 seeds. I expect Pitt to have years of 1 seeds. I accept that Pitt will have bubble years. I accept that Pitt will have NIT years.

I agree with all of this except maybe the #1 seeds. Really, name me the programs in the last 20 years that have had multiple #1 seeds? I think you will find it far less inclusive than those teams who have gone to the Final 4.

"Top 10 program, 1-4 seeds consistently, fighting for ACC championships, basically the good ole days'

If we can't be this anymore, what good was it leaving the Big East? Sure, I know, we get a lot of MONEY now from the ACC, compared to what we got in the Big East. But as a fan, watching winning seasons and league championships was way more fun, I mean we don't go down and stand in front of PNC Bank and cheer when our AD goes down to deposit the ACC Money.

Football. I can't believe you even asked the question.

Man, you and Souf love to troll.

I think everybody realized what I was trying to say. I even clarified the OP with the question of what you would be satisfied with.

If I go into McDonald's, my expectation is the food will be edible. If it is, I am satisfied. If I go to LeMont, my expectation is it should be one of the best dinners I'll have all year. If its not, I'm not satisfied. How much simpler can I make it?

I expect Pitt to be a consistent Top 25 program, in that 3-6 seed range. Sometimes a bit higher is great, sometimes a bit lower is ok.

But 5 years in a row of bubble or worse does not me my expectations or satisfy what I want to see this team do.

But I know, I dont buy season tickets so that should be a prerequisite for any post on a free message board.

Now, lets have another 100 posts about the definitions of expectation, satisfaction, acceptance, etc. Lets analyze this thing like crazy. Maybe let's make a whole new thread since this one doesn't meet you and Souf's expectations.

By the way, not to be Souf and therefore contrary, but LeMont reference is dated. You go to the LeMont, you likely will get an overpriced, overrated meal. Sort of like UCLA. Remember this adage, "the better the view, the worse the food".

Reactions: Ski11585
By the way, not to be Souf and therefore contrary, but LeMont reference is dated. You go to the LeMont, you likely will get an overpriced, overrated meal. Sort of like UCLA. Remember this adage, "the better the view, the worse the food".
Or: "Unreasonable expectations guarantee disappointment." There must be 100 restaurants in Pgh these days better than LeMont. Are they on Stubhub?? ;(

Reactions: PITTLAW
Sustained greatness wasn't possible but I felt like sustained "pretty goodness was."

We were a Top 10 program from 02-05

06 was down.

07-08 was where I thought this program would flat line (4, 5 seeds)

09-11 we were Top 10 again.

But then its bubble or worse. So, we essentially skipped a whole step. Outside of 06-07, we were either Top 10, bubble or worse. I think this program can be one of those 10-25 programs, getting 3-6 seeds, making a Sweet 16 every 3 years or so.

Maybe you are just confusing your years, but 2005-06 wasn't down -- we were a #5 seed.

Why is my post a troll? Talk about intolerant. There were a bunch of other posters who basically said the same thing, who you conveniently ignore. How can you write "everyone understood" when so many posted they didn't quite get what you were asking. You just didn't communicate your point well, and you're mad people asked about it. I never said you couldn't post. To suggest I did is childish on your part. I just pointed out how you circumvent giving Pitt money, then complain the teams aren't good enough. That's it. There is a bit of dissonance in that, you must admit.

I really didn't think it was that complicated. Again fellas, this is a sports message board. A discussion about Pitt BB. Let's not make it more than this. We are debating topics in regards to who is going to be the next president. I just personally think both of you are a bit unfair when you gang up on SMF and make much more out of a relatively simple question that deserves to be.

I agree with all of this except maybe the #1 seeds. Really, name me the programs in the last 20 years that have had multiple #1 seeds? I think you will find it far less inclusive than those teams who have gone to the Final 4.

Pitt had two #1 seeds in three seasons, comprised of vastly different personnel. I don't know why anyone would say it is impossible to reach that level in the future.

My expectation is that the team play hard every night and keep stupid mistakes to a minimum. I can live with whatever the results may be.

A lot of people say that Dixon needs to go back to recruiting tough, smart kids who are not so highly rated. I loved watching Luther play Wednesday night, but I was thinking that if Dixon brought in nothing but kids with Luther's profile coming out of HS, this board would be screaming about Dixon's recruiting. And the only thing that would appease us is if they would play like Luther did that night on a regular basis.

I really didn't think it was that complicated. Again fellas, this is a sports message board. A discussion about Pitt BB. Let's not make it more than this. We are debating topics in regards to who is going to be the next president. I just personally think both of you are a bit unfair when you gang up on SMF and make much more out of a relatively simple question that deserves to be.
Asking someone to clarify what they mean is debating things like the President? OK. Ganging up? lol...ok again. There were like 5-6 people who didn't quite get it. So what's wrong with that? You criticize people sometimes for various reasons. Why is that ok, but not this?

You're buying McDonald's, is the point. SO your expectations for best meal all year are silly. In fact, you aren't even buying McDonald's at full price, you're using coupons.

Pretty easy concept.

Robert Morris is McDonald's, come on. Not Pitt. All I expect from RMU (as a very casual fan) is to have a team and go to the NCAAT once in awhile.

That wasn't the question though. It's like you think the world will stop if you sit a thread out. You have self awareness? Lol. You think you're the smartest guy in every room. I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well my friend. Either people want to be around you or they don't.
These people aren't around me, so it's not relevant.

I'm doing the same thing they are...killing time.

I dont disagree. Just using an example. LeMont's FOOD does NOT meet my expectations because the food is not worth the price.....but people dont go there for the food. Its the atmosphere. Even though the food doesn't meet expectations, we still go once or twice a year. Always a little disappointed in the food but the atmosphere doesn't disappoint.

Kiwi, Souf, NTOP disecting this concept in 3, 2, 1.....

I don't quite understand why people still cling to this idea of "capitalizing" on prime years. After Nova beat us in 2009, they failed harder than Pitt has. After WVU made a F4, the failed harder than Pitt has. Both of those programs, under the same coaches, have turned it around already. Clearly, the idea that making a Final Four destines your program for sustained greatness and recruiting infallibility is false.

Dixon has to find the formula to return to success, as Wright and Huggins did, or else he'll be out of a job soon.

Your comments had me curious, so I looked up the stats for each program AFTER their recent "high-water" marks. NCAAT seeds are in (). Regular Season stats are through today.

Since Team Reg Sea Win % NCAAT Win % Years in NCAAT

08-09 Nova 72% 2-5 29% 5/6 83% (1, 2, 2, 9, 9)

08-09 Pitt 69% 2-4 33% 4/6 67% (1, 3, 8, 9)

09-10 WVU 61% 3-3 50% 3/5 60% (5, 5, 10)

10/10 post. Would "like" again.

"Top 10 program, 1-4 seeds consistently, fighting for ACC championships, basically the good ole days'

If we can't be this anymore, what good was it leaving the Big East? Sure, I know, we get a lot of MONEY now from the ACC, compared to what we got in the Big East. But as a fan, watching winning seasons and league championships was way more fun, I mean we don't go down and stand in front of PNC Bank and cheer when our AD goes down to deposit the ACC Money.

Well it was not an option to move football to the ACC and leave the basketball team in the Big East. Although the competition in the presently concocted Big East is certainly not on par with the present ACC--it is not abundantly clear to me that Pitt would be dominating that league either. The move [and money] were OBVIOUSLY in the best interest of the University of Pittsburgh and its sports programs. Hopefully Jamie gets Pitt back to competing towards the top of the ACC...or eventually Pitt will have to make a very tough decision. Hail to Pitt!

You have reached a new low. Even for you. Get a life, dude. You're pathetic.
Ironic.

I'm trying to use your analogies are expectations based up cost to the consumer.

You clearly don't like having those concepts reach their logical end point.

For instance- I should have NO expectations for Pitt hoops..because I'm not a season ticket holder, or should at least have a level based upon my annual Panther Club donation.
That is, if I was deluded enough to think my donation was tied to expectations, which I"m not.

I don't donate because I EXPECT anything in return..which is why it's called a donation.

You buy your tickets to games from Stubhub, because you think Pitt season tickets are like your Lemond experience..over-priced and under-satisfying. I'd likewise assume if you were given a gift certificate to enable the cost of your meal at Lemond to be a DEEP DISCOUNT, you'd enjoy your meal a little better.

Well, guess what, SMF? You're using a deep discount, as such..perhaps your actual expectations should be substantially lower for the product on the court.??

You know...using YOUR silly analogy. Likewise.. with your using RMU...do you often set an expectation level for restaurants you have no intention of going to?

And it's me who is hitting an all-time low?

I dont disagree. Just using an example. LeMont's FOOD does NOT meet my expectations because the food is not worth the price.....but people dont go there for the food. Its the atmosphere. Even though the food doesn't meet expectations, we still go once or twice a year. Always a little disappointed in the food but the atmosphere doesn't disappoint.

Better to take a sammich from Cupka's and just eat it on the platform next to the incline. Plus, think of the $$$ you'd save by NOT buying direct from LeMont.
Nice try at changing the subject AFTER the fact.

Better to take a sammich from Cupka's and just eat it on the platform next to the incline. Plus, think of the $$$ you'd save by NOT buying direct from LeMont.
Nice try at changing the subject AFTER the fact.
I appreciate that he states the food doesn't meet his expectations, but goes a couple times a year, anyway.

Kinda puts the entire thread into perspective, eh?

Reactions: Ski11585

Recruits analyzed your post, and you blame me, souf and NTOP? That's bizarre.

If you use better analogies, maybe people wouldn't be as confused. I have no idea what you are trying to convey here, but it looks like you're saying if the Pete has nice amenities and atmosphere you'll be satisfied with the team? Or something.

do you often set an expectation level for restaurants you have no intention of going to?

And it's me who is hitting an all-time low?

I like to imagine SMF has alter egos and posts zany opinions on message boards for all sorts of banal topics.

"We all know stop lights have always been red, yellow, and green. In ten years, we're going to see a blue light added. It makes sense."

Reactions: JS School
I like to imagine SMF has alter egos and posts zany opinions on message boards for all sorts of banal topics.

"We all know stop lights have always been red, yellow, and green. In ten years, we're going to see a blue light added. It makes sense."
Blue is what people want, as it's clearly the dominant color of preference.
It's time to boot yellow from it's contract so stoplights can get improve TV revenue for the WAC conference.

Reactions: levance2
I appreciate that he states the food doesn't meet his expectations, but goes a couple times a year, anyway.

Kinda puts the entire thread into perspective, eh?

Congratulations! You have hijacked another thread meeting your quota for the month and we still have 3 days left. Good work!

Congratulations! You have hijacked another thread meeting your quota for the month and we still have 3 days left. Good work!
How is it hijacking when I"m responding to the topic of the thread, exactly?

You asked a question about a subject. I replied to THAT subject.
If you don't want to here people's thoughts on a topic..don't initiate a thread on that topic.

Alternately, you could, you know, not make terrible threads, defend them with terrible analogies, then get upset when people call you out.

Reactions: levance2
These people aren't around me, so it's not relevant.

I'm doing the same thing they are...killing time.

Killing time for what?
All I ever see you do is make caustic comments about someone's else post usually a rant but not always. If there is follow up, your second genre of posts is to proclaim the meaninglessness of all this debate because the commenter won't write a check with at least six zeros after the 1st nonnegative number prior to the decimal.

If your goal is to be a horse's %$@ you are achieving it. SMF, PittPoker and others might have rants but their passion to Pitt basketball makes this board much more enjoyable than your constant nihilism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT