ADVERTISEMENT

What the App St game showed

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
What I already knew. PSU is extremely overrated at 10. They lost 9 starters on D, a once a generation RB, and NFL players at WR and TE. Yes, they have recruited extremely well but they lost A LOT.

Yes, App St also lost a lot but they are the preseason favorite to win the Sun Belt. They are a good program, a proud program that expects to win every time they step on the field. App St is better than Md, RU, and Indiana. They would finish 5th or 6th in the B10 East or even the ACC Coastal.

The App St game proved to me what I already knew. PSU is just another team. At least this year. Now, they may go 10-2, heck maybe even 11-1 but that's due to the weak schedule they play. They already won 7 due to recruiting. The only possible losses are Pitt, OSU, Mich, Wis and MSU

Actually most places I saw had Troy as the preseason favorite in the Sun Belt. I was very surprised that Boise was able to go in there and put up that kind of score.

What I already knew. PSU is extremely overrated at 10. They lost 9 starters on D, a once a generation RB, and NFL players at WR and TE. Yes, they have recruited extremely well but they lost A LOT.

Yes, App St also lost a lot but they are the preseason favorite to win the Sun Belt. They are a good program, a proud program that expects to win every time they step on the field. App St is better than Md, RU, and Indiana. They would finish 5th or 6th in the B10 East or even the ACC Coastal.

The App St game proved to me what I already knew. PSU is just another team. At least this year. Now, they may go 10-2, heck maybe even 11-1 but that's due to the weak schedule they play. They already won 7 due to recruiting. The only possible losses are Pitt, OSU, Mich, Wis and MSU
Maryland has been a pretty pathetic program in recent years. And while Texas is easily the most underachieving school out there right now, they did just beat them while they were ranked preseason #23. That’s definitely a step in the right direction, I agree with most of this, but I’m gonna hold off on saying app st. is better than Maryland.

Penn State is certainly overrated. What P5 team has App St. beaten besides the infamous Michigan game? They would be a bottom feeder in any P5 division.

Preseason polls are meaningless. You won’t have a good idea which teams are legit until Week 5 or 6. Miami doesn’t look like a Top 25 team team, let alone Top 10.

They are meaningless. Except, it allows those teams to have an inside track on rankings later in the season. A team not in the preseason poll who, by week six deserves to be, say 21, will have a hard time being ranked above the team that deserves to be 25, but the preseason poll gave them #10.

So, your point is valid that polls shouldn't start until week five or six. But they will continue to.

Reactions: PittSqueak
Penn State is certainly overrated. What P5 team has App St. beaten besides the infamous Michigan game? They would be a bottom feeder in any P5 division.

They’re a pretty good program. Only been in the Sun Belt a couple years, took Tennessee to OT and lost by 1 to Wake Forest last year.

Also was able to compete for most of the game with National Finalist Georgia last season.

If Penn State goes 10-2 or 11-1 they certainly are not overrated by being ranked 10th. The tenth ranked team at the end of the season will likely be 10-2 or even 9-3.

If Penn State goes 10-2 or 11-1 they certainly are not overrated by being ranked 10th. The tenth ranked team at the end of the season will likely be 10-2 or even 9-3.

Its a factor of the schedule. 11-1 might be a stretch but if they beat us, that gives them 8 wins guaranteed because of the weakness of the Big Ten. If they split OSU/Wis/MSU/Mich, they are 10-2. They really just have a 5 game season. The other 7 are already wins.

Easy schedule, 4 top 15 teams. Okay.
Scratch Michigan from the list. Wisconsin is only top 15 because of their week schedule. Michigan State struggled this week. Their overall schedule is about a C-

They play 1 really good team, Ohio State.

Wisconson will go 11-1 due to their schedule but that's a team that would go 7-5 in the SEC. They aren't that good.

Michigan and MSU are very, very overrated.

Basically, the Big Ten gets credit for beating each other. Those teams are no better than your VT, NC State, heck, even Pitt

Reactions: DiehardPanther
It’s rare tho big overperforms. Every year they get blasted in bowl games. Everyone know wisky isn’t that good. Michigan and Michigan state aren’t that great anymore. Nebraska May get better under frost, but the big tens top teams aren’t that great. The media will love the big ten all year, and then we will watch them get destroyed in bowls like they usually do. They refuse to schedule tough out of conference opponents.
Psu is going to end up 20-25 this year.

The game showed that perhaps PSU overlooked App St towards an upcoming rivalry game. Oh I forgot, they’re unrivaled. In all seriousness I worried that pitt would look towards next week and end up in a tight game like psu did. App st made some nice plays and their coaches called a gutsy game.

Reactions: mjsdoc3
I'm thankful for whatever reason PSU almost lost to ASU, because it has vastly reduced the amount of trolls on this site this week.

Now, it's up to Narduzzi and Co. to make sure they don't show up in droves after Saturday.

Reactions: mjsdoc3
The extreme talent disparity saved PSU. They were obviously extremely poorly prepared, and that deserves a loss. If required to play a legit opponent and if a more equitable (not even a lot, but just a little) distribution of talent existed, they would have been punished with a loss. Purdue, BC, Cuse, Pitt, etc. would almost certainly have been. But, particularly once the clock got turned off and artificial rules of OT applied, their extreme advantage of talent won it.

The fact they played ASU in the first place and got a win despite awful prep and coaching (esp. to squander the lead after getting it) are glaring reasons for reform.

The extreme talent disparity saved PSU. They were obviously extremely poorly prepared, and that deserves a loss. If required to play a legit opponent and if a more equitable (not even a lot, but just a little) distribution of talent existed, they would have been punished with a loss. Purdue, BC, Cuse, Pitt, etc. would almost certainly have been. But, particularly once the clock got turned off and artificial rules of OT applied, their extreme advantage of talent won it.

The fact they played ASU in the first place and got a win despite awful prep and coaching (esp. to squander the lead after getting it) are glaring reasons for reform.

You are way understating App St, there’s a reason why they were only 23 point dogs on the road against a top 10 team. Theyve shown themselves well against P5 competition the last few seasons.

FWIW App St would have been at least a 17 point favorite over Albany, almost certainly higher.

You are way understating App St, there’s a reason why they were only 23 point dogs on the road against a top 10 team. Theyve shown themselves well against P5 competition the last few seasons.

FWIW App St would have been at least a 17 point favorite over Albany, almost certainly higher.
Agree 100% 08 I watched the tape a couple of times and App St has some real good athletes.They are really well coached too.They have good team speed and their QB was extremely accurate.I don't know if he can do this all year.Seriously I think they come in 3rd in the Big West.So far on here I've learned after one week of football on here.Psu,Miami,Texas,Mich,Michigan St,Washington,Wvu,the Big10,Sec,Pac10 and Big 12 are all over rated.Thats amazing that 4 of 5 conferences are all overrated.You gotta love fans!

Wait a second... Overrrated and may go 11-1?

LOLOLOLOLOL I genuinely spit out my water laughing at that. For gods sake THAT is stupid.

I'm sorry. Simply not reality. ASU showed, played hard, credit to em. Their defeat of Michigan elevated them in people's minds, though. A blue blood team getting 4 and 5 star players down to the third level of depth or more, simply should have little trouble. Certainly should not lose the lead after gaining it in the second half. To struggle significantly or even lose is solely an example of mass complacency and looking past the present. Not an impossibility with young goofball cocky young players of course ... but million dollar coaches have the responsibility to manage that. I give PSU, nor Michigan before, any quarter for those performances.

I'm sorry. Simply not reality. ASU showed, played hard, credit to em. Their defeat of Michigan elevated them in people's minds, though. A blue blood team getting 4 and 5 star players down to the third level of depth or more, simply should have little trouble. Certainly should not lose the lead after gaining it in the second half. To struggle significantly or even lose is solely an example of mass complacency and looking past the present. Not an impossibility with young goofball cocky young players of course ... but million dollar coaches have the responsibility to manage that. I give PSU, nor Michigan before, any quarter for those performances.

This has nothing to do with their win at Michigan, that was a century ago in sports time. They weren’t even a D1 team then.

I’m talking about the team that’s been an FBS school only a few years now that’s won the Sun Belt Conference twice in a row and was last seen beating MAC champion Toledo 34-0 in a bowl game.

I’m wondering if you’re confused and think they are still an FCS program? Penn St playing them isn’t any different than Iowa playing Northern Illinois, the two teams are very similar.

SMF how do you know how weak or strong somebody's schedule is at the beginning of season? Of course its your opinion. You truly don't know the strength of someones schedule until further into the season. Isn't it week 7 or 8 that CFP Power rankings are calculated. Also apparently you have not been paying attention. Most pundits believe the Big 10 east is the strongest conference in all of CFB. I am only stating what other have surmised. You are correct I believe PSU maybe overrated, we have lost a lot. Not really sure what we have at this point. At least if you guys win you can say you beat a top 10 team, like when you beat a completely over ranked Miami last year. Good Luck.

App St is better than Purdue and Syr and not much worse than Pitt or BC.

God it’s gonna be funny reading the meltdowns on this board after Pitt loses Saturday night

Wait a second... Overrrated and may go 11-1?

LOLOLOLOLOL I genuinely spit out my water laughing at that. For gods sake THAT is stupid.

So you thought it was stupid to call Miami overrated last year after they lost to Pitt because they were 10-1?

It showed me that the defense with the 4-5 star athletes was getting run over, run through and worn down by the offense with 2-3 star athletes.

I watched the end of that game then watched some of the replays and the nits defense looked slow, out of sorts with very poor tackling. Not to mention the blown coverage on the App State TD to make it 31-24. The nits brought blitz and Wade blew the coverage leaving the wr wide open.

So you thought it was stupid to call Miami overrated last year after they lost to Pitt because they were 10-1?

When did I call Miami overrated?

Last year congrats, you guys beat them

FWIW, Miami was very overrated last year even though they finished the regular season at 10-1. I think I even posted that before the game and I told many people at work to not be surprised if we beat them. I also said then and still believe their 2016 team that blew us out was better than their 2017 team.

FWIW, Miami was very overrated last year even though they finished the regular season at 10-1. I think I even posted that before the game and I told many people at work to not be surprised if we beat them. I also said then and still believe their 2016 team that blew us out was better than their 2017 team.

Sigh, here we go....

10-1 overrated does not exist. Results are results. You’re team has literally finished with 10 wins 1 time in the last 38 years, and you have the audacity to call a team overrated who achieves that?

its friggan hard to win double digit games in college football, I don’t care what team you are (besides maybe Alabama).

But I forgot, Pitt is sooo used to winning 10 games in a year that it’s easy to be overrated winning that much, lolol

To me the PSU game showed that the Lions have a very inexperienced defense.They have talent but made too many mistakes to beat a good team.They'll get better and will be OK by week 5-6 because of athletic ability.Like 2016 Pitt is playing them at the right time of year.PSU offense has McSorley that means they always have a chance to win.PSU doesn't have last year's firepower but isn't chopped liver either. I'll also think unlike the last 2 years James keep s few things up his sleeve for Pitt.Kenny Footballs time to shine but will he is the question.

Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT