ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you rank The Wire compared to all other series?

#99HUGHgreen

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2013
What are your other top rated shows?

I have watched most of the critically acclaimed shows ( but I have never watched The Wire other than the first episode when it first came out. I can’t even remember why I didn’t continue watching. After watching that pilot episode, I remember thinking, Wow, might end up being a pretty good show.”

Seeing that you all have rewatched the entire series as many times as some of you have tells me that it is not only an objectively good show but that it is one of those shows that never gets old.

I am now finally going to go watch the series thanks to JD1976’s thread about the show and the replies by the rest of you.

Last edited:
My favs...

The Wire
Lost (even though many panned the ending, I enjoyed the weekly journey and extras...)
Sopranos
Game of Thrones (may have also missed the ending, but still a fun journey)
The Leftovers (if you can get away from how incredibly depressing it is, this 3 season show is phenomenal)
Fringe (another JJ Abrams project. Very out there, but I thought it had a great ending)
Breaking bad (perhaps the best show ever)

I am sure I am forgetting a few...

What are tour other top rated shows?

I have watched most of the critically acclaimed shows but I have never watched The Wire other than the first episode when it first came out. I can’t even remember why I didn’t continue watching. I remember after watching that pilot episode thinking, Wow, this is a pretty good show.”

Seeing that you all have rewatched the entire as many times as some of you have tells me that it is not only an objectively good show but that it is one of those shows that never gets old.

I am now finally going to go watch the series thanks to JD1976’s thread about the show and the replies by the rest of you.

What are tour other top rated shows?

I have watched most of the critically acclaimed shows but I have never watched The Wire other than the first episode when it first came out. I can’t even remember why I didn’t continue watching. I remember after watching that pilot episode thinking, Wow, this is a pretty good show.”

Seeing that you all have rewatched the entire as many times as some of you have tells me that it is not only an objectively good show but that it is one of those shows that never gets old.

Numero uno for me. Many other good ones but this is the best.

I have watched most of the critically acclaimed shows ( but I have never watched The Wire other than the first episode when it first came out. I can’t even remember why I didn’t continue watching. After watching that pilot episode, I remember thinking, Wow, might end up being a pretty good show.”

Seeing that you all have rewatched the entire series as many times as some of you have tells me that it is not only an objectively good show but that it is one of those shows that never gets old.

Do it! You will not regret it. The storylines, the writing, the backdrops and the characters are about as real as TV has ever seen.

It’s great because there are bad guys that will love and good guys that you will hate.

One suggestion… I watched the entire series and also listened as I went along to the “Way Down in the Hole” podcast to help understand the characters and storylines better. It was a tremendous help and I would recommend it. A warning though… Jemele Hill is the host. She obviously isn’t for every one — certainly not my cup of tea in terms of her woke ideology — but she was a great host and guide and really stayed on point without making too many political statements. I know there are other complementary podcasts for The Wire, but this one was the most professionally done that I have heard.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen

Top 3 on anybody's list.

Do it! You will not regret it. The storylines, the writing, the backdrops and the characters are about as real as TV has ever seen.

It’s great because there are bad guys that will love and good guys that you will hate.

One suggestion… I watched the entire series and also listened as I went along to the “Way Down in the Hole” podcast to help understand the characters and storylines better. It was a tremendous help and I would recommend it. A warning though… Jemele Hill is the host. She obviously isn’t for every one — certainly not my cup of tea in terms of her woke ideology — but she was a great host and guide and really stayed on point without making too many political statements. I know there are other complementary podcasts for The Wire, but this one was the most professionally done that I have heard.
Some of the characters were actually gang members like Snoop. That is what made it compelling.

1. The Wire
2. Game of Thrones
3. Sopranos

Appreciate the suggestion. I will look into it.

My favs...

The Wire
Lost (even though many panned the ending, I enjoyed the weekly journey and extras...)
Sopranos
The Leftovers (if you can get away from how incredibly depressing it is, this 3 season show is phenomenal)
Fringe (another JJ Abrams project. Very out there, but I thought it had a great ending)

Great List:

Agree with you about Breaking Bad. and of course The Sopranos and Game of Thrones. All at the top for me.

Haven’t seen Fringe or the Leftovers but heard great things about them... and Peaky Blinders too. Guess I have a lot of “can’t miss” tv to watch. Something to be excited about. Thanks.

Lost is another “Must See” show that I started to watch but then gave up on simply because I missed a few episodes. Back when it first came out, if you missed a few episodes you were literally “lost” because there was no Netflix or on demand (at least I don’t think there was) to get caught up, so I just gave up until I could watch it all together. Then I just never got around to it.

Last edited:
Great List:

Agree with you about Breaking Bad. and of course The Sopranos and Game of Thrones. All at the top for me.

Haven’t seen Fringe or the Leftovers but heard great things about them... and Peaky Blinders too. Guess I have a lot of “can’t miss” tv to watch. Something to be excited about. Thanks.

Lost is another “Must See” show that I started to watch but then gave up on simply because I missed a few episodes. Back when it first came out, if you missed a few episodes you were literally “lost” because there was no Netflix or on demand (at least I don’t think there was) to get caught up, so I just gave up until I could watch it all together. Then I just never got around to it.
Lost was good, not sure its in my Top 15 though. Fringe was too much "out there" and too much of a X-Files copycat

My top 5
The Wire
The Americans
Snowfall
24 or Sopranos
Homeland or Sons of Anarchy
I just started The Americans last night as I have heard a lot of good things. Coming off watching The Wire everything is going to pale in comparison, but it’s off to a good start.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Snowfall is excellent. I liked The Wire better so far but Snowfall isn’t done. Last season was easily best show on tv.

Brotherhood on Showtime totally underrated. Sopranos and The Wire similarities.

Comedy It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a must watch.

Reactions: TheFormula
Okay.

Snowflake, The Americans and Narcos, all getting a lot of love in this thread..Seeing others I have yet to watch, including Watchmen. It’s always Sunny In Philadelphia, Fringe, The Leftovers, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, and Ozark (which I’ve shied away from because it looked like it might be trying too to be like Breaking Bad -but maybe I need to give it a chance).

A couple of shows not mentioned that I found quite good:

Money Heist (preferred watching with subtitles)
Hannibal
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Mad Men

‘More than a few people have told me that I need to watch the following shows:
Peaky Blinders
The Crown
Fleabag

That’s a lot of shows to get started on - thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
I just started The Americans last night as I have heard a lot of good things. Coming off watching The Wire everything is going to pale in comparison, but it’s off to a good start.
Its a really intense show. Especially if you grew up in the 80s and remember the tensions of USA vs Russia

Snowfall is excellent. I liked The Wire better so far but Snowfall isn’t done. Last season was easily best show on tv.

Brotherhood on Showtime totally underrated. Sopranos and The Wire similarities.

Comedy It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a must watch.
The reality is what Snowfall has in spades. The fact that its basically biopic of Freeway Rick makes it the shit

Reactions: Scooter7427
Its a really intense show. Especially if you grew up in the 80s and remember the tensions of USA vs Russia
I still remember how the Americans exactly started. The first scene with the Fleetwood Mask song "Tusk" playing. That just perfectly captured 1980.

My favs...

The Wire
Sopranos

People either love the Leftovers or hate it. Personally, I am a huge fan. I think that you have to be a bit mystical and romantic to really appreciate it, but it's one of my favorites ever. Glad to see it get some love here.

Reactions: ratking17
The Wire
The Crown
Fleabag
The Leftovers
Breaking Bad
Chernobyl (definitely do the companion podcast, too)
Generation Kill
Game of Thrones was excellent until the last season
Black Mirror
the Simpsons
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Peep Show (if you like dry British humor)
Bojack Horseman
the Expanse
Narcos

Okay.

Snowflake, The Americans and Narcos are all getting a lot of love in this thread.

A couple of shows not mentioned that I found quite good:

Money Heist (preferred watching with subtitles)
Hannibal
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Mad Men

‘More than a few average people told me I have to watch the following shows:
Pesky Blinders
The Crown
Fleabag
Leftovers
peaky blinders is good but the strong accents are really tough to the point where you almost wish they had subtitles. but yes, really good show. a time piece at beginning of the 20th that really did a great job painting the picture of a gloomy industrial setting in england.. awesome characters in it too.

In addition to what has been noted already:
Deadwood
Oz
Band of Brothers
Dexter
Shameless
Animal Kingdom
Mr. Inbetween
Yellowstone
The Man in the High Castle
Archer
Hill Street Blues
The Shield
Fargo

I should also confirm that Homeland is a great series. The first two seasons are some of the best tv ever. It flounders a bit in the middle but the final two seasons are great as well.

Reactions: TheFormula
Another confirmation for Dexter. Simply a great series with some great characters. Loved Sgt Doaks. "surprise motherf***er".

Reactions: paschuler1970
I don't think House of Cards (the American version) was mentioned. A great series especially the first couple of seasons.

I still remember how the Americans exactly started. The first scene with the Fleetwood Mask song "Tusk" playing. That just perfectly captured 1980.
Yes that was a cool scene and forced me to go to YouTube to watch arguably the lowest budget movie video of all-time that worked incredibly well.

I’m 3 episodes in and now that the introduction of the characters has started to settle down, this is a really gripping series.

I don't think House of Cards (the American version) was mentioned. A great series especially the first couple of seasons.
I tapped out of House of Cards after 2 seasons, but the first 2 were definitely pretty damn good. You could argue the famous death scene in Season 1 was as shocking as we have ever seen.

I tapped out of House of Cards after 2 seasons, but the first 2 were definitely pretty damn good. You could argue the famous death scene in Season 1 was as shocking as we have ever seen.

Yeeeep.

My favs...

The Wire
Sopranos

Breaking Bad, very good. Best ever? I disagree. Have to suspend belief a little too much, especially in the final season. The Aryan gang appears out of nowhere and orchestrates a hit for Walt that simultaneously gets about 12 guys in prison? So that last season was kind of a letdown, best is when Gus was main player, and Tuco.

Lost, I loved watching it week to week. But they left WAY too many loose ends opened. But the series finale made up for it a little bit, as I think it was one of the best all time finales (along with Star Trek: TNG).

No one mentioning Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I think was the best ever (although the argument could be made it jumped the shark when it jumped to the CW network in Season 6-7. However seasons 1-5 are some of the best shows ever. Along with the spinoff show Angel which was good in its own right).

Soprano's, yes, should be on anyones list.

Really liked the first season, but I became more and more turned off as the main character grew into an even bigger, selfish jerk. I am a huge fan of Julia Louis Dreyfus. I find her quite funny, but I am so over comedies or any show about uncaring a-holes /bad people intentionally doing bad things when they don’t have to be.

Shows like Breaking Bad are different since the main character... SPOILER... did bad things for altruistic reasons (at least at first).

In a show like Curb YourEnthusiasm, when the main character acts like a bit of a jerk/a-hole, it backfires on him. That formula makes it funnier and allows me to feel a little better about the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT