when a team turns the ball over 28 times in the course of
the game, anything can happen. Again giving up 33 pts in a
quarter and having an Assist/TO ratio of 15/28 is enough to
sink any team. Seriously, these TO numbers are almost beyond
belief. Battle our pg was 5/5. The five assists are good, but well
..... you know the rest. Marley W only played 7 minutes, didn't
take one shot, but also only had one TO. She's doing better in
that category. Malcolm, after not shooting well recently, hit
some shots today. 50% from the field and 2-5 on her threes.
She plays the 2 as an off guard. 7 TO's from that position
should not happen, but lack of a floor game hurts her, and
without an effective PG, it makes her situation out front even
worse. Hutcherson worked hard as usual and actually scored
11 pts, well above her average.

Its hard to find many poitives in a game like this, but for three
Qtr's we hung with BC. As we've been saying all along, they hustle,
pull for each other, and seem to have very good attitude and
chemistry.

Hey, since we are supposed to be all positive all the time, sure, we turned the ball over 28 times, but we got better as the game went on. Ten turnovers in the 1st (no, that's not a typo), but then we "only" turned the ball over seven times in the 2nd, and then five in the 3rd and six in the 4th.

Good god, it was pathetic.

Perhaps you missed it, but Washenitz only played 7 minutes because she got hurt. It looked bad. She couldn't put any weight on it at all when they basically carried her to the locker room. But she did come out later and sat on the bench with her foot in a walking boot. And she didn't seem like she was in pain, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it first appeared? Let's hope.

Watch Coach Verdi talking after the game. It’s brutal. He’s “embarrassed,” he’s never seen anything like this before. He actually said the team quit.

He said today’s performance will not be representative of Pitt going forward. He said he’s not going to quit (seemed to me like an odd thing to say…).

Anyway, will be interesting to see how many of these players are back next season…. I’m guessing not many.

Go Pitt.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how many of these players are back next season

I would be surprised if it's more than a couple.

He's got to hit the portal hard this off season. Heck, even if most of the players who can come back do come back, he still needs to hit the portal hard.

Reactions: jctrack
Hey, since we are supposed to be all positive all the time, sure, we turned the ball over 28 times, but we got better as the game went on. Ten turnovers in the 1st (no, that's not a typo), but then we "only" turned the ball over seven times in the 2nd, and then five in the 3rd and six in the 4th.

Good god, it was pathetic.

Perhaps you missed it, but Washenitz only played 7 minutes because she got hurt. It looked bad. eah God forbid we tell it like it is on here She couldn't put any weight on it at all when they basically carried her to the locker room. But she did come out later and sat on the bench with her foot in a walking boot. And she didn't seem like she was in pain, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it first appeared? Let's hope.
Yeah, God forbid we tell it like it is on here. Maybe we shouldn't be
objective, and maybe not list stats that tell the real story. Those 28
TO's which are more the norm than the exception are unlike anything
I've ever seen in bball.

As for Marley W. I did see her injury, and I hope it's not serious.

I would be surprised if it's more than a couple.

He's got to hit the portal hard this off season. Heck, even if most of the players who can come back do come back, he still needs to hit the portal hard.
Yeah I agree. I gotta believe King will have options. The others can likely
do what most of last year's players did....move down a level or two. If
they stay, and still see the floor as starters, we're in trouble. If they stay
and are beaten out for starting positions and minutes, that would give
us some hope. One thing for sure, Verdi has had some time to recruit
better players. He has a real challenge selling this program based on what
we've seen with the last several years here. He deserves a realistic amount
of time. Let's see what he does.

Reactions: jctrack
Do you guys take your own stats when you watch a game. It really is impressive. Sometimes you should watch the game and see when someone like Malcolm throws the ball in and it goes right through someone’s hands like it did plenty of times or no movement to the ball but of course it is her fault. And she never plays the 2 guard she is always the 3.
And did you really see Marleys injury because you talked about her like another stat line wondering why she only took one shot. I think you were to busy adding up all your stats to notice
And it is a wonder that this team even wants to continue for how badly their own coach talks about them.
Thank goodness they have each other and seems like they all are very supportive of each other more than I can say for their coach

Weren’t there two transfers who couldn’t play because they entered the portal too late? Are they with the team?

Ioanna Chatzileonti transferred in and did not play. She wore a boot all year. She’s a 6-2 center/forward. She played at Kansas maybe, can’t remember, but she should help if she gets over her injury.

Raeven Boswell, a 5-11 guard, seemed like she was going to sit out the year, but then she did play, but not much. In the last couple games she got a bit more playing time…

Go Pitt.

Reactions: Chanceman
Do you guys take your own stats when you watch a game. It really is impressive. Sometimes you should watch the game and see when someone like Malcolm throws the ball in and it goes right through someone’s hands like it did plenty of times or no movement to the ball but of course it is her fault. And she never plays the 2 guard she is always the 3.
And did you really see Marleys injury because you talked about her like another stat line wondering why she only took one shot. I think you were to busy adding up all your stats to notice
And it is a wonder that this team even wants to continue for how badly their own coach talks about them.
Thank goodness they have each other and seems like they all are very supportive of each other more than I can say for their coach
I'm going to answer your question about stats and you're sterotypical
generalization comment of "do you guys?" First of all we do watch
the game and give our opinions based on our "eye test." That eye test
represents our opinions. YES, opinions., not facts. The stats are listed on
any number of websites immediately after the game. For example, the
28 TO's . We don't sit there and count em up. We don't sit there and add up
Malcolm's 7 TO's either, but we do mention them as a very high # for an off guard
which she is. Also mentioned in this thread were her shooting stats, 50% and
2-5 on threes which is good and an improvement from her recent %'s. Of
course you previously called that "talking out two sides of your mouth."
We also constantly post on here how hard these girls play, their positive
atttitude and their chemistry.

If there's a one track mind here, it's you. You're stuck on any comment about Malcolm
is negativism. WE, the regular posters on here root for these girls. Personally, I
root for all of Pitt's teams. My OPINION, and opinion only is based on my eye test
which is supported by very clear cut stats that these girls, other than King, are in over
their heads in the ACC. That is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. It has
nothing to do with my being "mean" and not caring. Your sarcastic digs lead me to
think you're acting like an asshole on here. Of course, that's once again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
“Guys” is just a generalization because everyone on here hides behind fake names. If you are a women I am so sorry next time I will say guys and gals!
And maybe you should go to the eye doctor and see if you can pass an eye test
It is amazing how upset you get when someone criticizes you but you can do this all day long to 19 year old girls. Oh that’s right you say they hustle. I complimented you on your stat prowess. So me being critical of you is ok because I gave you a compliment.
Where were you the last 3 years saying King was ACC material. I never saw you mention that until this year.
And I never called you mean or any other name like asshole. I leave that to you. All I did was question how unusual it is to use words like terrible, liability etc… to describe 19 year old girls.
And you are right that is my opinion you just think that yours is the only one that is right but that is ok. I can deal with that unlike some.

Good luck to the girls this week!!

“Guys” is just a generalization because everyone on here hides behind fake names. If you are a women I am so sorry next time I will say guys and gals!
And maybe you should go to the eye doctor and see if you can pass an eye test
It is amazing how upset you get when someone criticizes you but you can do this all day long to 19 year old girls. Oh that’s right you say they hustle. I complimented you on your stat prowess. So me being critical of you is ok because I gave you a compliment.
Where were you the last 3 years saying King was ACC material. I never saw you mention that until this year.
And I never called you mean or any other name like asshole. I leave that to you. All I did was question how unusual it is to use words like terrible, liability etc… to describe 19 year old girls.
And you are right that is my opinion you just think that yours is the only one that is right but that is ok. I can deal with that unlike some.

Good luck to the girls this week!!

It is hilarious that someone who appears so completely clueless about basketball can rip on other people about their knowledge of the game.

Like I said before, if you have watched this team play, both this season and for the last decade or more, and you can't bring yourself to say anything negative at all then your opinion is completely worthless. Because you either can't bring yourself to say the truth, or you have no idea what so ever what the truth is.

She was out of the boot yesterday, for the first time in a long time.
What do you think? Has anyone seen her play? Any idea if she can cut
it in the ACC? As everyone here knows, my sense is we don't have ACC
level talent (King exception) now, or during the last several years. Verdi
hopefully hits the portal hard and brings about a major talent upgrade.

What do you think? Has anyone seen her play? Any idea if she can cut
it in the ACC? As everyone here knows, my sense is we don't have ACC
level talent (King exception) now, or during the last several years. Verdi
hopefully hits the portal hard and brings about a major talent upgrade.

I don't believe I've ever seen her play.

Had this been two years ago, before she's missed all this time with injuries, I'd say yeah, she can help. But she's going to be coming off missing a lot of time, and who knows if she'll come back at 100%, or close to it, or if her injuries will have robbed her of a good part of her game.

It is hilarious that someone who appears so completely clueless about basketball can rip on other people about their knowledge of the game.

Like I said before, if you have watched this team play, both this season and for the last decade or more, and you can't bring yourself to say anything negative at all then your opinion is completely worthless. Because you either can't bring yourself to say the truth, or you have no idea what so ever what the truth is.
Ha ha ha not ripping on your Bball knowledge you obviously know everything there is to know about Bball. I am sure you are coaching at a high level maybe even pros I would never compete with that. There is saying negative things and there is saying just things that are demeaning like words like terrible, liability, etc…. Again these girls are so young and you have no idea what they are going through in that locker room at home, I just don’t find enjoyment of doing that. It has nothing to do with saying the truth it is just how to treat human beings. But that is just my opinion.

Sending luck to the girls!

Ha ha ha not ripping on your Bball knowledge you obviously know everything there is to know about Bball. I am sure you are coaching at a high level maybe even pros I would never compete with that. There is saying negative things and there is saying just things that are demeaning like words like terrible, liability, etc…. Again these girls are so young and you have no idea what they are going through in that locker room at home, I just don’t find enjoyment of doing that. It has nothing to do with saying the truth it is just how to treat human beings. But that is just my opinion.

Sending luck to the girls!

Someone doesn't have to know everything about basketball or be a high level coach to see that this team is not good at all. And by extension, that the players on the whole are not good enough. The fact that you can't seem to see that doesn't mean it isn't true, and it doesn't mean that someone has to be some sort of basketball savant to see it. It just means that you won't admit to the obvious truth.

I mean do you really not think that the player who made seven turnovers yesterday or the one who had five of them don't know that that isn't good enough and they need to be better? Or the person who shot 4-13 from the field doesn't think that she needed to shoot the ball better? Or that pretty much all of them would agree that their defense wasn't nearly good enough?

YOU might not be able to say that they didn't play well and that they need to play better, but I'll bet you every single one of the players would say that they didn't play well and that they need to play better.

Tough season for the Panthers and the coaching staff (and the fans).

Coach Verdi just summed it up with this quote: “When you look at our roster compared to other ACC rosters yeah, we don’t have the size, the speed and the athleticism but we also figured out how we can put ourselves in the position to compete.”

They did compete, except for a handful of games. They are certainly due for a better shooting game in the ACC tourney. Be great to see them get a win against No. 10 seed GT.

Go Pitt.

Tough season for the Panthers and the coaching staff (and the fans).

Coach Verdi just summed it up with this quote: “When you look at our roster compared to other ACC rosters yeah, we don’t have the size, the speed and the athleticism but we also figured out how we can put ourselves in the position to compete.”

They did compete, except for a handful of games. They are certainly due for a better shooting game in the ACC tourney. Be great to see them get a win against No. 10 seed GT.

Go Pitt.
That's true they did "compete" despite being severely limited. The fact
that Verdi could get them to compete and the fact that these players
found it within themselves to do so despite their being limited, does
speak well of them. Hopefully they'll have a good shooting day and
limit their TO's aagainst GT and get a win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT