ADVERTISEMENT

Women's soccer cracks top 25

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
Coming in United Soccer Coaches' rankings at #20 and TopDrawer's ranking at #21. Pitt was last ranked (for the first time) early last fall when much of the country wasn't playing. Effectively, this is the first time the program has ever been ranked with a full slate of programs competing.

Other women's rankings of note: #1/1 FSU, #2/3 UNC, #3/2 UVA, #5/6 Duke, #6/8 TCU (future opponent), #7/11 PSU, #13/17 WVU, #15/10 Clemson. BC & ND ORV

Pitt men staty at #3 in the United Soccer Coaches' ranking and moved up to #2 in TopDrawer, obviously not incorporating last night's upset in Morgantown.

Coming in United Soccer Coaches' rankings at #20 and TopDrawer's ranking at #21. Pitt was last ranked (for the first time) early last fall when much of the country wasn't playing. Effectively, this is the first time the program has ever been ranked with a full slate of programs competing.

Other women's rankings of note: #1/1 FSU, #2/3 UNC, #3/2 UVA, #5/6 Duke, #6/8 TCU (future opponent), #7/11 PSU, #13/17 WVU, #15/10 Clemson. BC & ND ORV

Pitt men staty at #3 in the United Soccer Coaches' ranking and moved up to #2 in TopDrawer, obviously not incorporating last night's upset in Morgantown.
Marshall lost to VT, who tied friggin Kansas City. Wake also lost to VCU. I always said that Marshall team wasn't very good and got lucky AF Greece'ing their way to a NC but in soccer you can do that. As we know, the outcomes in soccer are more random than any other sport. Speaking of that, the WVU announcers last night, who I thought were pretty good and fair, speaking about the "Marshall topic" and how (without saying it and being as PC as they can be) they weren't that good, noted the WVU women were knocked out by Rice despite being out-shot 20-1. They basically said the WVU Men's coach was so disappointed about not getting in because he seemed to feel they could win the whole thing. And turning to Pitt women's soccer, heck, if they get in, sure, why not they could win the whole thing. Lots of randomness.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The real test for the ladies is in conference. They have got to win every game against unranked and compete against the top dogs. Once they do that, they will be part of the top tier in ACC. Sustaining is the real key. They have the coaches to do it for sure.

They have the coaches to do it for sure.
We all speak our minds when it comes to football and basketball, but I have a really hard time discussing these players…probably because I know many of them and have watched them grow up. Without saying names, I’ll just say that one of them always had immense talent, but never had the right attitude or team approach and that prohibited her from reaching her full potential. It seems as though those behaviors have been coached out of her now, and she seems to be thriving. And a goal I’ve seen her score since her arrival was a type of goal that I’ve never seen her score. So she’s improved in more ways than one. These coaches are making them better players and better people.

We all speak our minds when it comes to football and basketball, but I have a really hard time discussing these players…probably because I know many of them and have watched them grow up. Without saying names, I’ll just say that one of them always had immense talent, but never had the right attitude or team approach and that prohibited her from reaching her full potential. It seems as though those behaviors have been coached out of her now, and she seems to be thriving. And a goal I’ve seen her score since her arrival was a type of goal that I’ve never seen her score. So she’s improved in more ways than one. These coaches are making them better players and better people.
Soccer was left for dead, truthfully. And here you go with quite a turnaround. It is exactly what you see in football. Hire the right coaches and you can turn a program around. Pay this staff and do everything to keep this staff.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
#20 Panthers go up 1-0 on St. Joe's in the 64th minute.

Ms. West got behind the D & buried one. Really impressed by Mertz's energy.

Reactions: HOF Coach
#20 Panthers just pushed it to 2-0 on a Mertz goal.

West did limp off the field after an obnoxious slide tackle (that failed to draw a card) prior to the second goal. Hopefully nothing serious.

The Pitt women have arguably their most important game of the season today as they host a ranked TCU squad. A win today would certainly go a long way at the end of the season after what will certainly be a rocky ACC schedule. Could be the difference between an at large or nothing.

The Pitt women have arguably their most important game of the season today as they host a ranked TCU squad. A win today would certainly go a long way at the end of the season after what will certainly be a rocky ACC schedule. Could be the difference between an at large or nothing.
Is Amanda West injured ? She’s not in the lineup

Last edited:
I think someone said last game she had some kind of an issue. But not West and Pitt could be in trouble getting some solid chances.

I watched some of the PSU at WVU match. PSU won 2-0. They got 2 goals within about a minute late in the first half and then really parked the bus. With 15 minutes left, if they came down either wing, they took the ball into the corner and killed time. Just like the pros do, in the last 2 or 3 minutes but not with 15 minutes left. On defense, they had 9 in the box. Frustrating to watch, but they are very good. Lots of speed.

WVU also has a lot of speed, and their frontline is much taller than our defense. They had one forward who was able to free herself for a couple of good chances in the box, but the PSU GK made nice saves.

We have improved a lot, but I don’t think we are at their level yet. PSU has sort of come out of nowhere this year. WVU was their first road game and first win over a ranked team. The Big Ten is weak, with Michigan at #24 the only other ranked team. WVU has been good now for a neighbor of years.

Has to be. She’s clearly their best player. Losing 1-0 without her is nothing to be ashamed of.
Pitt’s goalie Robinson made some nice saves to keep at 1-0.

It’s a shame the game wasn’t on the ACC Network, I guess a replay of Boston College is more important to the ACCN than a game between two ranked teams.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pitt’s goalie Robinson made some nice saves to keep at 1-0.

It’s a shame the game wasn’t on the ACC Network, I guess a replay of Boston College is more important to the ACCN than a game between two ranked teams.
A college football replay draws many more viewers than olympic sports.

I actually went to the game yesterday. Boy, TCU is big, and FAST! Pitt’s best chance came late in the first half, but a TCU defender was in perfect position on the goal line to prevent a goal. Great energy at Ambrose-Urbanic field for an 11AM start. I think the place holds just over 700, I’d guesstimate the crowd at around 600.
Good showing by the ladies with no Amanda West in the lineup. I was speaking with a young lady associated with the team that said it was an ankle issue. Saw West walk with the team to the locker room at halftime with no visible limp. Hopefully she’ll be back soon.
On another note, I bought a pair of season tickets for both the men’s and women’s teams. Ridiculously affordable, and very entertaining.

From 20-25 will be very fluid. Lots of good teams will pop in and out. The top 10 will be much tighter for the real powerhouse teams. But there really are a lot of good little teams out there who will have surprise upsets here and there.
Pitt women must win the games they are expected to win and must compete in the ACC games. Being top 25 for Pitt women really means competing in the ACC. I’d look out for wake forest, they are recruiting really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack
I actually went to the game yesterday. Boy, TCU is big, and FAST! Pitt’s best chance came late in the first half, but a TCU defender was in perfect position on the goal line to prevent a goal. Great energy at Ambrose-Urbanic field for an 11AM start. I think the place holds just over 700, I’d guesstimate the crowd at around 600.
Good showing by the ladies with no Amanda West in the lineup. I was speaking with a young lady associated with the team that said it was an ankle issue. Saw West walk with the team to the locker room at halftime with no visible limp. Hopefully she’ll be back soon.
On another note, I bought a pair of season tickets for both the men’s and women’s teams. Ridiculously affordable, and very entertaining.

This is the type of fan we need 👆👆👆

I saw the men’s team play Notre Dame 4 or 5 years ago when they were a major power. I noticed the same differences: They were bigger and faster. Much faster.

I didn’t think we could close the gap as quickly as we did, but we did. I’m hoping for the same thing with the women. Just watching on TV, both PSU and WVU looked bigger and faster than us too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT