ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup 2022 Thread

Seems inconceivable not having Reyna and Aaronson starting. But seeing it on paper makes it difficult to argue. I’m sure they’ll get starters minutes anyways…but how do you not have them on the field for your first 60-70 minutes vs England or in a knockout match?

Seems inconceivable not having Reyna and Aaronson starting. But seeing it on paper makes it difficult to argue. I’m sure they’ll get starters minutes anyways…but how do you not have them on the field for your first 60-70 minutes vs England or in a knockout match?

Two of the people on the list, Paredes and Vazquez, have yet to play for the full USMNT. I'm skeptical they'd be on the final roster but we'll see.

At some point, you have to go with your best 11. I am not sure we have a striker in our "best 22," certainly not best 11. I'd move Weah or Reyna to the #9 to get Aaronson on the field.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
At some point, you have to go with your best 11. I am not sure we have a striker in our "best 22," certainly not best 11. I'd move Weah or Reyna to the #9 to get Aaronson on the field.
Yeah I mean Liverpool plays with 3 strikers. Why can’t the USA? Lol.

Would have like to see a UEFA team but this works.

We have 0 viable strikers but 7 midfielders/wingers for 5 positions. Pulisic, Weah, Adams, McKennie, Musah, Reyna, Aaronson. Would it be so crazy to not play Ferreria, Pepi, Morris, Wright, etc?

Another reason we should be in UEFA. They are playing Nations League came so our options were limited.
Oh that’s right. But that’s why they don’t like nations league too. They want to be able to step out and play teams like us. But they can’t.

Two of the people on the list, Paredes and Vazquez, have yet to play for the full USMNT. I'm skeptical they'd be on the final roster but we'll see.
I like Peredes, I miss him being with DC United. The thing he did fairly often was draw a penalty kick by faking everyone out and carrying it into the box and they get frustrated and foul him.

If you don’t have a pure goal scorer you are never competing in a World Cup. You have to have a solid team with a goal scorer, someone who can turn a game upside down with the pressure they can put on a defense and the shots they can create or be set up for. The US team doesn’t have a good enough defense to stop most of these teams, so you better be able to score and score when you desperately need goals.

If you don’t have a pure goal scorer you are never competing in a World Cup. You have to have a solid team with a goal scorer, someone who can turn a game upside down with the pressure they can put on a defense and the shots they can create or be set up for. The US team doesn’t have a good enough defense to stop most of these teams, so you better be able to score and score when you desperately need goals.
You know what will fix that? Joining UEFA...

• Haha
There is no reason why the USA can't petition to join CONMEBOL and UEFA.

I found SMF’s twitter

You heard it here first. Why does every idea have to come from me? You showed the low USMNT ratings on the other board. Well, that's mostly because the team plays all "non-interesting" games for the casual fan. They just have those 3-4 WC games plus 2 games vs Mexico and maybe a Gold Cup Final vs Mexico in a 4 year period. That isnt enough. Put them in UEFA and then WCQ and Euro qualifying are interesting as hell and Nations League for us would be cool. That's how you grow the sport.

Can Pulisic play striker? He often plays high as a mid and I would think could be dangerous in the box attacking or drawing fouls.
Has he ever played up there for the USMNT?

You heard it here first. Why does every idea have to come from me? You showed the low USMNT ratings on the other board. Well, that's mostly because the team plays all "non-interesting" games for the casual fan. They just have those 3-4 WC games plus 2 games vs Mexico and maybe a Gold Cup Final vs Mexico in a 4 year period. That isnt enough. Put them in UEFA and then WCQ and Euro qualifying are interesting as hell and Nations League for us would be cool. That's how you grow the sport.
Or you do what CONMEBOL is supposedly doing and keep your own organization but participate in the next UEFA Nations League.

Yea but he's too valuable on the wing. It doesn't have to be this hard though. Who are Berhalter's best soccer players? Is Ferreira one since he scored 3 vs Grenada? No. Put Weah or Reyna up there and call it a day.

LB - Robinson
CB - Zimmerman
CB - TBD
RB - Dest
MF - Adams
MF - McKennie
MF - Musah
RW - Reyna (Aaronson)
LW - Pulisic
ST - Weah (Ferreira/Pepi/Sargent/Wright)

I'm just hoping one of the million meh tier strikers we have in meh to decent leagues in europe find good form right before the wc. One of Dike, Pepi, Sargent, Wright or someone random. Someone has to right? RIGHT?

Will you petition Australia, Suriname, Guyana, and Israel also?
Sure, but Israel has a legit claim to Europe, they border Europe and for political reasons, it's probably better that they don't visit Arab countries. Surinam and Guyana should definitely be South America. Australia? They should be wherever New Zealand is. And USA in UEFA, you're risking basically USUALLY not qualifying for the WC.

Sure, but Israel has a legit claim to Europe, they border Europe and for political reasons, it's probably better that they don't visit Arab countries. Surinam and Guyana should definitely be South America. Australia? They should be wherever New Zealand is. And USA in UEFA, you're risking basically USUALLY not qualifying for the WC.
How about Armenia in UEFA? How is Armenia considered to be part of Europe? Maybe the US can take Russia's spot if they leave for Asia.

A move to UEFA wouldn't be made for the short-sighted view that the US may miss some World Cups. They might. They also probably wont miss the Euros which is a huge tournament. And they get Champions League EVERY year which is massive. Its a 100 year decision for the growth of the sport. If MLS is ever going to be a top league, it has to have teams playing in Champions League

Maybe when we are petitioning to be allowed to join UEFA, we can also petition FIFA to allow us to play three strikers at once, under the theory that each one is about as good as 1/3 of a good striker.

We could be the first team ever to play a 4-3-5.

• Haha
How about Armenia in UEFA? How is Armenia considered to be part of Europe? Maybe the US can take Russia's spot if they leave for Asia.

A move to UEFA wouldn't be made for the short-sighted view that the US may miss some World Cups. They might. They also probably wont miss the Euros which is a huge tournament. And they get Champions League EVERY year which is massive. Its a 100 year decision for the growth of the sport. If MLS is ever going to be a top league, it has to have teams playing in Champions League
Why would the MLS want to be in the Champions league? Well, they would happily take the check for losing, but the owners love the guaranteed profits. Love the salary caps. Euro clubs go bankrupt. Heck, Barca is in bad shape.

Why would the MLS want to be in the Champions league? Well, they would happily take the check for losing, but the owners love the guaranteed profits. Love the salary caps. Euro clubs go bankrupt. Heck, Barca is in bad shape.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And what happens when you makes more money? You get to buy better players and fans like better players.

I don't really care if MLS is a TOP league, USA is in North America, THE END.

Armenia borders Georgia and Turkey which are also part of UEFA, so it's totally logical.

Armenia borders Georgia and Turkey which are also part of UEFA, so it's totally logical.
But the United States borders the Atlantic Ocean...which borders the U.K., Spain and Portugal. :rolleyes:

But the United States borders the Atlantic Ocean...which borders the U.K., Spain and Portugal. :rolleyes:
Canada and Mexico should join UEFA too then, why should they be left behind, as soon as USA joins they should also petition to join. Canada is even closer to Europe, you can practically swim to Iceland.

Canada and Mexico should join UEFA too then, why should they be left behind, as soon as USA joins they should also petition to join. Canada is even closer to Europe, you can practically swim to Iceland.
See, now you're beginning to see things through the thick Coke bottles lenses of you know who...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And what happens when you makes more money? You get to buy better players and fans like better players.
Sure, the fans would like it - especially if their teams were one of the ones to way overspend. As for $$$, did you miss the part about Barca? Do you think City or Chelsea turned profits?

See, now you're beginning to see things through the thick Coke bottles lenses of you know who...
Canada also recognizes Queen Elizabeth as Head of State so they are even more European and part of the UK.

Canada also recognizes Queen Elizabeth as Head of State so they are even more European and part of the UK.
And the U.S. used to be a territory of the Crown so there is that historical tie we have. I mean soccer wasn't even around in the mid 1700's but we can't let that cloud our thought process.

Mexico...ties to Spain, Boom! So in addition to the Atlantic Ocean, just a tiny little Gulf of Mexico as a separator.

And the U.S. used to be a territory of the Crown so there is that historical tie we have. I mean soccer wasn't even around in the mid 1700's but we can't let that cloud our thought process.

Mexico...ties to Spain, Boom! So in addition to the Atlantic Ocean, just a tiny little Gulf of Mexico as a separator.
Mexico should join CONMEBOL. Canada to UEFA. The rest of CONCACAF can play for 1-2 WC bids. Maybe Greenland can win Concacaf then.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a

Should Syria, Iran, and Iraq be in UEFA then since they border the Asian part of Turkey, just like Armenia?

As a DC United fan, wouldn't you rather your home team play in UEFA Champions League. Wouldn't that make the season more exciting, knowing you are fighting for a spot in the CL?

Not sure if I posted it. Someone on twitter suggested Canada and US to UEFA. You have to rename it NATO though. I can’t see Americans buying into the whole Euro thing, except maybe America’s political left. Then Mexico and the others go to Comebol. Logistically having one less confederation streamlines things.

Should Syria, Iran, and Iraq be in UEFA then since they border the Asian part of Turkey, just like Armenia?

As a DC United fan, wouldn't you rather your home team play in UEFA Champions League. Wouldn't that make the season more exciting, knowing you are fighting for a spot in the CL?
MLS teams wouldn't even make it to the group stage with the rare every so often exception. MLS would get maybe 2 guaranteed UCL spots and they'd be early stages. Setting up titanic games against Shamrock Rovers or Lincoln Red Imps for the right to face Qarabag or F91 Dudelange

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT