ADVERTISEMENT

Worst possible time for the program to flounder

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Back in 2020, I made a post saying the next 4-5 years were some of the most important years in Pitt athletics history. I correctly predicted that there’d be massive realignment and we’d inch closer towards a CFB Super League. With that in mind, it’d be imperative that we succeeded in football- and basketball- in order to position ourselves to land a spot while we had momentum.

It looked like we were headed that way after 2021, and even followed it up with the 2022 season… then it all came crashing down. I know there’s more (i.e., institutional alignment) that goes into realignment decisions, but this is the worst possible time to have the sharpest drop off since the 90s.

At this point, I still hope (and think) we can land a Big 12 invite. But we need to do better! I’m holding onto optimism that today is just a bump in the road and we’ll show signs of progress come August with the new offense.

Back in 2020, I made a post saying the next 4-5 years were some of the most important years in Pitt athletics history. I correctly predicted that there’d be massive realignment and we’d inch closer towards a CFB Super League. With that in mind, it’d be imperative that we succeeded in football- and basketball- in order to position ourselves to land a spot while we had momentum.

It looked like we were headed that way after 2021, and even followed it up with the 2022 season… then it all came crashing down. I know there’s more (i.e., institutional alignment) that goes into realignment decisions, but this is the worst possible time to have the sharpest drop off since the 90s.

At this point, I still hope (and think) we can land a Big 12 invite. But we need to do better! I’m holding onto optimism that today is just a bump in the road and we’ll show signs of progress come August with the new offense.
As soon as NIL became a thing before the 2021 season, the writing was on the wall for as far as gaining momentum going forward.

This is an unsustainable cluster***k, and whoever writes the big checks to fund NIL for Pitt, I wouldn't blame them one bit if they withdrew all funding until the dust settles. Look at the way salaries for coaches have went through the roof the last 20 years. With coaches we're talking supposedly mature middle-aged men that signed contracts. Now we're dealing with 18-24 year olds. 83 of them.

College sports are a freaking mess. I'll watch on gameday, but the current state of the game is a dumpster fire.

Sharpest drop off? We were 23-16 over the last 3 years and won an ACC Championship. NIL and transfers are a cluster#### for just about every school.

Big 12 is ass and we would definitely get in. But the problem would be leverage. If we didn't have any place else to go, they might be able to do to us what the ACC is doing to SMU.

At this point, I still hope (and think) we can land a Big 12 invite.

The Big 12 adds anybody and everybody. Pitt has a spot in that piece of shit league if the ACC falls apart. They arent adding Cincy, UCF, and Houston and not Pitt. So this isnt a worry at all. Having to actually be in that league is the worry.

Sharpest drop off? We were 23-16 over the last 3 years and won an ACC Championship. NIL and transfers are a cluster#### for just about every school.
Sorry, I’m talking about since 2022. When was the last time we had that bad of a losing season? We lost five games a handful of times under Wanny and once under Narduzzi, but nothing like that. A six game dropoff is tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2Ppanthers
The Big 12 adds anybody and everybody. Pitt has a spot in that piece of shit league if the ACC falls apart. They arent adding Cincy, UCF, and Houston and not Pitt. So this isnt a worry at all. Having to actually be in that league is the worry.
True, the big 12 took some slapdick schools....a few years ago.

My questions are these

1) how many schools would the big 12 take before its no longer feasible?

2) would there be better candidates than Pitt? Uconn for hoops? SMU will buy their way in. Other leftovers may be a better upside (Miami? Louisville?)

The worst case scenario for Pitt is it is stuck in a new football apathy ACC. Perhaps they renew the WVU rivalry. Maybe.

But the OP is correct. It seems the worst favorable outcome for Pitt may be the most likely.

Reactions: Manster
Again, as much as I love and respect Pitt football and its history, if this continues like this I am fine with going back to the Big East.

I hope it doesn’t go that route but if someday it did, I wouldn’t be upset for very long. The NFL has capitalized on all of this garbage in the college game and converted a lot of college viewers over to the NFL.

True, the big 12 took some slapdick schools....a few years ago.

My questions are these

1) how many schools would the big 12 take before its no longer feasible?

2) would there be better candidates than Pitt? Uconn for hoops? SMU will buy their way in. Other leftovers may be a better upside (Miami? Louisville?)

The worst case scenario for Pitt is it is stuck in a new football apathy ACC. Perhaps they renew the WVU rivalry. Maybe.

But the OP is correct. It seems the worst favorable outcome for Pitt may be the most likely.

1. Unlimited. The Big 12 takes anybody and everybody.

2. Yes there are better candidates than Pitt but who cares. If Pitt wants to be in the Big 12 at some point, it will be. There is so much trash in that league, that my hope is the ACC leftovers can pull in the nicest trailers in the Big 12 trailer park.

1. Unlimited. The Big 12 takes anybody and everybody.

2. Yes there are better candidates than Pitt but who cares. If Pitt wants to be in the Big 12 at some point, it will be. There is so much trash in that league, that my hope is the ACC leftovers can pull in the nicest trailers in the Big 12 trailer park.
They didn’t take Oregon State or Washington State. This isn’t meant to be offensive but, other than the Brawl, what makes you think they’d take Pitt? If available, Miami, NC State, and VT are clear targets. Pitt would be battling Louisville and others for 4th spot. Fair chance that Duke is high on Yormark’s list as well.

They didn’t take Oregon State or Washington State. This isn’t meant to be offensive but, other than the Brawl, what makes you think they’d take Pitt? If available, Miami, NC State, and VT are clear targets. Pitt would be battling Louisville and others for 4th spot. Fair chance that Duke is high on Yormark’s list as well.

I think Pitt has a decent chance but definitely not a slam dunk. Ross delinger of yahoo sports even said that Louisville and duke are the likely top targets for the big xii when the acc blows up and assuming nc state vt etc are off the table.

I guess it all depends how big the big xii wants to go but Pitt certainly isn’t at the top of the list. But I think they’d be on a list.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
See you guys in September. I’ll watch games, but I’ll be damned if I spend time following the off-season bull shit that’s going on now. Eff that.

See you guys in September. I’ll watch games, but I’ll be damned if I spend time following the off-season bull shit that’s going on now. Eff that.
I'm the same. I have my season tix, I'll donate, but the days of following recruiting, during the offseason, team activities, etc are pretty much done. You don't even know who will be on your team until kickoff.

And following the sport as a whole, watching games all week, and from Saturday at noon through late at night, I've lost interst in that as well. I'll just watch Pitt and that's about it. I have no interst in all the mega matchups that caused a lot of this realignment. It was more special when it wasn't every day/week.

I think Pitt has a decent chance but definitely not a slam dunk. Ross delinger of yahoo sports even said that Louisville and duke are the likely top targets for the big xii when the acc blows up and assuming nc state vt etc are off the table.

I guess it all depends how big the big xii wants to go but Pitt certainly isn’t at the top of the list. But I think they’d be on a list.
The one other thing to consider: What I’ve always heard was that had Pitt not received the ACC invite in 2011, the Big 12 would’ve invited us and Louisville. Who knows whether those same leaders are in the room today, but Pitt was definitely on their radar at one point.

The one other thing to consider: What I’ve always heard was that had Pitt not received the ACC invite in 2011, the Big 12 would’ve invited us and Louisville. Who knows whether those same leaders are in the room today, but Pitt was definitely on their radar at one point.

It's a completely different conference lead by completely different people.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's a completely different conference lead by completely different people.
Sorry, I meant from an individual school standpoint. You are absolutely correct about the conference as a whole. I know there were several schools (one of which was Oklahoma State) that was sympathetic towards us.

At the same time, they’ll also have a much larger pool of schools to choose from should something happen to the ACC. Who knows where we stack on there.

Reactions: ThePanthers
This was all soo important to me in 2013, now I just shrug my shoulders.
Pitt will never be left out.

What's the point of having a conference with 20 + teams ?
Every team should be Independant and make their own schedules in football, but again I don't really care anymore.

Washington State is a bottom-level Mountain West market and program that was lucky enough to ride the coattails of the Pac 12. They are about 25th in line for the Big 12. They are done. Oregon State will be in the Big 12 eventually but they didnt add enough value by themselves to go to an odd number of 17. Adding them and say Memphis or someone like that just didnt make enough sense and they may not got a pro rata increase past 16.

But if the ACC truly disintegrates, the B12 will 100% add Pitt, Lou, Duke, GT, Syr, UConn, Oregon State, NC St, VT, Miami, San Diego St, etc. They are unhinged. Washington State still won't get a bid. Memphis is ahead of them. Maybe even Temple, UNLV, Fresno St, New Mexico, etc. Washington State is cooked.

Washington State is a bottom-level Mountain West market and program that was lucky enough to ride the coattails of the Pac 12. They are about 25th in line for the Big 12. They are done. Oregon State will be in the Big 12 eventually but they didnt add enough value by themselves to go to an odd number of 17. Adding them and say Memphis or someone like that just didnt make enough sense and they may not got a pro rata increase past 16.

But if the ACC truly disintegrates, the B12 will 100% add Pitt, Lou, Duke, GT, Syr, UConn, Oregon State, NC St, VT, Miami, San Diego St, etc. They are unhinged. Washington State still won't get a bid. Memphis is ahead of them. Maybe even Temple, UNLV, Fresno St, New Mexico, etc. Washington State is cooked.
Post AAC panic shopping the Big 12 passed on Cal, Stanford, SDSU, SMU, Oregon State and WSU already. That certainly indicates to me they’d pass on Syracuse, BC, Wake. Pitt & GT could well be in that camp depending on what’s available. Certainly safe if the ACC is raided down to your VTs and NC States. I personally don’t think Yormark goes beyond 20.

Post AAC panic shopping the Big 12 passed on Cal, Stanford, SDSU, SMU, Oregon State and WSU already. That certainly indicates to me they’d pass on Syracuse, BC, Wake. Pitt & GT could well be in that camp depending on what’s available. Certainly safe if the ACC is raided down to your VTs and NC States. I personally don’t think Yormark goes beyond 20.

Cal & Stanford would have been invited if they wanted in. They didnt. You dont add duplicate Utah and Arizona teams and not elite academic schools in a very populated area. Stanford was going to go Independent instead of taking the Big 12 offer. Cal may have joined the Big 12 if Stanford did but it wasnt going alone.

Every team should be Independant and make their own schedules in football, but again I don't really care anymore.

I used to get worked up too but realized at the end of the day there is nothing you can do. But I wouldn’t say Pitt will never be left out. I mean Washington st and Oregon state probably thought the same and depending on how things fall cal and Stanford may too if the acc collapses along with others. And it’s to no fault of their own.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

I'm the exact same way. I was so worried Pitt would be left out back then. Now I am a million percent convinced that Pitt's worst-case scenario is some type of league that looks similar to the Big East and I'm good with that.

Pitt
WVU
Cincy
Syr
Lou
UCF (USF substitution)
Add in the B12 jucos and you get what I'm saying. Its fine.

Cal & Stanford would have been invited if they wanted in. They didnt. You dont add duplicate Utah and Arizona teams and not elite academic schools in a very populated area. Stanford was going to go Independent instead of taking the Big 12 offer. Cal may have joined the Big 12 if Stanford did but it wasnt going alone.

Cal and Stanford went to the ACC on a half shares because they were the only ones that would have them…despite their academic prowess. Apparently you are unaware of their draw and TV output. Your known for your personal need for confirmation but I’d advise to drop the superiority charade. It might be self soothing but it’s gonna bite you.

Again, as much as I love and respect Pitt football and its history, if this continues like this I am fine with going back to the Big East.
Pitt is and always has been a “Big East school”. It’s a natural fit. Heather should round up BC, ‘Cuse, and WVU and humbly ask the Big East to take us back home.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
Pitt is and always has been a “Big East school”. It’s a natural fit. Heather should round up BC, ‘Cuse, and WVU and humbly ask the Big East to take us back home.
While we are at it. lets ask to be dropped to FCS. We may still win here. But I agree, Pitt always seems like a Big East school to me.

Cal and Stanford went to the ACC on a half shares because they were the only ones that would have them…despite their academic prowess. Apparently you are unaware of their draw and TV output. Your known for your personal need for confirmation but I’d advise to drop the superiority charade. It might be self soothing but it’s gonna bite you.

Hold up, you honestly think Stanford and Cal would have accepted Big 12 invites?

I don't recall you ever saying something that turned out to be accurate, so no reason to start now.

So, which it? In one breath you admit the B12 has no interest in taking the remaining remnants of the PAC12. In the next you're saying the B12 is desperate and will take anybody. Just admit that you talk out of your ass 99% of the time. I can make a guarantee for you, Pitt is certainly NOT a lock for the B12 if / when the ACC falls apart. There are only so many teams the B12 will want to add and Pitt is going to have a lot of competition against programs that are every bit as attractive as Pitt.

Flounder??

UQt5KwPo3R8_YIX4H4gGbEiCBVGF600EOLTZqy1vWUA.jpg

I don't recall you ever saying something that turned out to be accurate, so no reason to start now.

So, which it? In one breath you admit the B12 has no interest in taking the remaining remnants of the PAC12. In the next you're saying the B12 is desperate and will take anybody. Just admit that you talk out of your ass 99% of the time. I can make a guarantee for you, Pitt is certainly NOT a lock for the B12 if / when the ACC falls apart. There are only so many teams the B12 will want to add and Pitt is going to have a lot of competition against programs that are every bit as attractive as Pitt.

Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Iowa State, and Kansas are in the Big 12. There is a 100% chance that Pitt will be also if they wanted to be. This is a promise. Cincinnati and Houston arent going to be in a better league than Pitt. They'd kick schools out to add Pitt if it came down to it.

But again, the more likely scenario is that the ACC will pre-emptively add B12 schools before FSU and Clemson and others leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT