ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, Stanford makes great basketball hire

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Kyle Smith from Washington State instantly becomes a Top 5, maybe Top 3 ACC coach. Stanford will be in the NCAA Tournament within 2 years.

Kyle Smith from Washington State instantly becomes a Top 5, maybe Top 3 ACC coach. Stanford will be in the NCAA Tournament within 2 years.
Yeah. He’s good. Won at 2 jobs that are impossible to win at. Still have to overcome 2 time zones for half their games. Will be interesting to see how that all works for the pac 12 teams moving east

Reactions: Protes
Yeah. He’s good. Won at 2 jobs that are impossible to win at. Still have to overcome 2 time zones for half their games. Will be interesting to see how that all works for the pac 12 teams moving east

I dont think the time zone thing will be a big deal if they schedule right. I thought he'd do much better than Stanford.

I dont think the time zone thing will be a big deal if they schedule right. I thought he'd do much better than Stanford.
Jerod Haase went to zero NCAAT and he got 9 years. It doesn't get much better than going to a place with zero bad kids, zero off court issues, zero grade issues and getting 20 million dollars guaranteed for zero expectations. Similar to Penn State in that regard. An absolute dream job of money and no expectations.

Jerod Haase went to zero NCAAT and he got 9 years. It doesn't get much better than going to a place with zero bad kids, zero off court issues, zero grade issues and getting 20 million dollars guaranteed for zero expectations. Similar to Penn State in that regard. An absolute dream job of money and no expectations.

I guess but I thought he was destined for a big-time job. Who would have thought Stanford makes one of the best hires of the off-season. Meanwhile, Louisville is still twiddling their thumbs. Don't want the risk Will Wade brings so they may go small and hire someone like a Pat Kelsey or the JMU coach. That AD is destroying that program in real time. Makes Scott Barnes look competent.

I guess but I thought he was destined for a big-time job. Who would have thought Stanford makes one of the best hires of the off-season. Meanwhile, Louisville is still twiddling their thumbs. Don't want the risk Will Wade brings so they may go small and hire someone like a Pat Kelsey or the JMU coach. That AD is destroying that program in real time. Makes Scott Barnes look competent.
JMU coach took Vandy.
If they waited til April 1 to fire KP they would've saved 2 Mill and be right where they are now.
All is forgiven if he lands a whale. We will see. Not inspiring confidence thus far.

He spent 10 years at Saint Mary’s and 4 years at U San Francisco so if you live and work in the Bay Area Stanford is a massive dream job. Yeah their basketball and football are meh most of the time, but their overall athletic department success is nearly unparalleled.

He spent 10 years at Saint Mary’s and 4 years at U San Francisco so if you live and work in the Bay Area Stanford is a massive dream job. Yeah their basketball and football are meh most of the time, but their overall athletic department success is nearly unparalleled.
Not to mention, as I said, who among us wants to deal with subordinates who present zero problems off-court (if in trouble academically or otherwise they're out) and get 9 years of making top dollar with minimum expectations? If he goes to an NCAA within 3 years, which he probably will, he'll get 12 years there.

yes, Scottie will beam them here so that those 5 hour flights to and from do not occur...Or just make one flight and play five road games in a row flying up and down the east coast before heading back two weeks later...

Sometimes there are considerations beyond what you think.

I watched his press conference. It was probably the most unique introductory press conference I've ever heard because he didnt talk about basketball, really at all. I was interested to hear about what they thought about the ACC, road trips, Pac 12, etc and there was none of that. He seems highly intelligent, reminds me of a doctor or professor. But, hey this is Stanford. Didnt realize he was an assistant at SMC for 10 years.and went from there to Columbia to San Fran to Wash St. He said he told people for years that Stanford is the best job in the country. Seems to absolutely love the fact that they can only take certain kids due to academics but isnt worried about it at all. Compared it to Duke but basically said its better than Duke.

He was always coming to Stanford. Hinted the deal was in place before their season was over. Probably said too much about that as Stanford may have been tampering. The Stanford AD told him he'll hold the job for him until they were out of the NCAAT. So while the clip about his son and the Autistic Support Center is touching, this was his dream job. He called it "beyond a dream job" and I believe he means that. Stanford is going to be pretty good quickly and the ACC got better today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT