ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling coach search

Warriordan

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2001
now that the ncaas are done ,I hope speedens up their search for a coach. the adminisratition has to decide if they want to be average or pony up and bring in a solid coach.i could care less about psu they are on another level.just bring in a named coach who can recruit and teach.

Don't shoot me for suggesting this, but how about this name that I am completely bringing out of left field. I have no idea if he would be interested, if he would even be asked, or the people doing the search would even looking at him. He would bring name recognition to the program right off the bat. He was a two time NCAA champion and Olympic Gold Medalist and resides in Pittsburgh. I give you, former WWE World Champion Kurt Angle.

Angle has too much baggage to be a head coach now. He would need to be an assisstant coach for awhile to prove himself stable enough to be a head coach.

Reactions: steelton
Angle has too much baggage to be a head coach now. He would need to be an assisstant coach for awhile to prove himself stable enough to be a head coach.
LOL...they would be more likely to hire a right angle or an isosceles triangle than Kurt Angle!

Reactions: Pitt87

Wow. There really is uprorar in their fan base - lots of chatter on message boards. Some chatter suggesting there may be balking from Strobel/LVAC stepping on Pat's toes.

I don't give any credence to the Minnoti (he was given a best of three wrestleoff) or the Dual record against Cornell (those things are cyclical) qualms. The EIWA titles thing is legitimate, but Cornell & Lehigh have inherently different setups. I fail to see how, say, Bryan Snyder, would change the realities of that.

If they pull this thing off...

Don't shoot me for suggesting this, but how about this name that I am completely bringing out of left field. I have no idea if he would be interested, if he would even be asked, or the people doing the search would even looking at him. He would bring name recognition to the program right off the bat. He was a two time NCAA champion and Olympic Gold Medalist and resides in Pittsburgh. I give you, former WWE World Champion Kurt Angle.

I come from Lebo and not even I would not want him as a coach at this point.

Last edited:
Just heard Heather Lyke on the radio. She said she is going back to Michigan and returning to Pittsburgh next Tuesday. I have to think that will slow the coaching search down. She is going to want to interview her first hire. I can't imagine that any AD would let somebody else select a coach that is going to go on his/her record of hires. Hopefully, they have a group of people to pre-screen candidates, but I doubt that this will be an orderly process. If someone on here knows otherwise, please alleviate my fears.

I would believe the budget (increase, decrease or remain the same) would require her blessing. I can only hope her vision of wrestling and the entire athletic program is quality over quantity. It's been stated before that wrestling with the proper funding has the best chance of any sport to be a perennial top 10 team being in the most talent rich state in the country. It would require competing against the best of the Big 10 in dual meets (Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan -within a 4 hour drive) while maintaining Oklahoma State. Our bench mark should be much higher than the ACC in wrestling and it's rather disappointing that we have yet to excel there.

I would believe the budget (increase, decrease or remain the same) would require her blessing. I can only hope her vision of wrestling and the entire athletic program is quality over quantity. It's been stated before that wrestling with the proper funding has the best chance of any sport to be a perennial top 10 team being in the most talent rich state in the country. It would require competing against the best of the Big 10 in dual meets (Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan -within a 4 hour drive) while maintaining Oklahoma State. Our bench mark should be much higher than the ACC in wrestling and it's rather disappointing that we have yet to excel there.
And competing with Iowa who has a built in feeder program in the Young Guns Wrestling club with former Hawkeye Jody Strittmatter at the helm. They have two from this years senior class and Teasdale already committed for next year.

Just heard Heather Lyke on the radio. She said she is going back to Michigan and returning to Pittsburgh next Tuesday. I have to think that will slow the coaching search down. She is going to want to interview her first hire. I can't imagine that any AD would let somebody else select a coach that is going to go on his/her record of hires. Hopefully, they have a group of people to pre-screen candidates, but I doubt that this will be an orderly process. If someone on here knows otherwise, please alleviate my fears.

Interviews are pushed back a week, that's all.

Reactions: cabe23
And competing with Iowa who has a built in feeder program in the Young Guns Wrestling club with former Hawkeye Jody Strittmatter at the helm. They have two from this years senior class and Teasdale already committed for next year.

I would call it an Iowa feeder program, Penn State has gotten their fair share from Young Guns. Also I would not be surprised at all if Teasdale ends up at PSU.

Couple of guys I would talk to: Damion Hahn-Cornell, Tim Flynn-Edinboro, Casey Cunningham-PSU, J Jaggers-Ohio State, and Pat Santoro-Lehigh

I would call it an Iowa feeder program, Penn State has gotten their fair share from Young Guns. Also I would not be surprised at all if Teasdale ends up at PSU.
You've been on target with a few things lately. Any insight as to who the new coach will be? Thanks.

You've been on target with a few things lately. Any insight as to who the new coach will be? Thanks.

Wish I could help you there just haven't heard anything concrete enough to even speculate, no real connections in the Pitt athletic department more connected to some of the HS coaches and some clubs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT