ADVERTISEMENT

www.newpittstadium.com

They didn't come when it was there before.... they won't come now.

It simply is never happening in your lifetime... and you are wasting brain cycles thinking it will.

LOLOLOLOL It just kills you that people talk about this all the time and really want a New Pitt Stadium in Oakland. Sorry Steve, it's on the burner, and it's gonna happen.

Please stop posting that; it is embarrassing to have such an amateurish, poorly-written, poorly-designed website/plan associated with our university.

Reactions: ncpittfan
Except, they did.
No, they didn't. The all time record at Pitt stadium was only about 6 or 7 thousand more than Pitt drew this year. Our attendance has been from the low 40 thousand range to the low 50 thousand range since the 70s. It's the size of the fan base not the location of the stadium.

IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.....TO OAKLAND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN! HTP!

www.newpittstadium.com

;)
Please stop trotting out this ridiculously juvenile "plan" every time someone includes Oakland and Stadium in the same sentence.

That "plan" has been debunked over and over again as at best a highschool level project and at worst the product of a long night of tinfoil hats and Doritos in someone's basement.

Enough of the "GSPIA" label. The "consulting firm" acknowledged on the website doesn't exist.

Just stop.

IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.....TO OAKLAND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN! HTP!

www.newpittstadium.com

;)

I think you could fit that stadium on that plateau. But nothing else. You could put a series of elevators to get people up to the stadium from the parking lots. That is of course if we had parking lots, which we wouldn't.

Reactions: ncpittfan
No, they didn't. The all time record at Pitt stadium was only about 6 or 7 thousand more than Pitt drew this year. Our attendance has been from the low 40 thousand range to the low 50 thousand range since the 70s. It's the size of the fan base not the location of the stadium.

Attendance is pretty close when comparing the 1980s to Heinz. We bottom out at about the same amount, and top out at about the same amount. The difference is that we should expect a decent increase in attendance 30 years later due to attendance inflation, but we haven't kept pace. Heinz Field has not helped attendance, and for some reason people continue to mistakenly suggest otherwise.

Except, they did.

1976 to 1983 was the "Golden Age" of modern Pitt football.

During those years, Pitt Stadium's capacity was 56,500.... and around 60,000 for a couple of games where they put in extra bleachers on the track (ND and PSU games).

Here's the attendance figures for each of those seasons:

1976: 45,505 average, 1 sellout (WVU), 12-0, #1 ranked
1977: 44,931 average, 1 sellout (PSU), 9-2-1, #8 ranked
1978: 49,472 average, 2 sellouts (WVU, FSU), 8-4, unranked
1979: 41,029 average, 0 sellouts, 11-1, #7 ranked
1980: 48,342 average, 1 sellout (WVU), 11-1, #2 ranked
1981: 50,853 average, 2 sellouts (FSU,PSU), 11-1, #4 ranked
1982: 54,804 average, 3 sellouts (UNC,WVU,ND), 9-3, #10 ranked
1983: 49,905 average, 1 sellout (PSU), 8-3-1, #18 ranked

So... During the greatest 8-year run in our programs history, Pitt averaged about 48,100 in a 56,500-seat stadium. That's more than 8,000 empty seats on average.... for a program with 6 Top-10 finishes in 8 years including a National Championship.

Your memory is clouded.

They didn't come. And you don't even want me to look up the years from 1984 to 1999... the average attendance is around 35k for those years.

Attendance is pretty close when comparing the 1980s to Heinz. We bottom out at about the same amount, and top out at about the same amount. The difference is that we should expect a decent increase in attendance 30 years later due to attendance inflation, but we haven't kept pace. Heinz Field has not helped attendance, and for some reason people continue to mistakenly suggest otherwise.

What the hell is "attendance inflation"?

Fatter people?

Seriously, though.... you put those 1979-1981 teams at Heinz Field, and the attendance would be averaging over 60k.

Conversely, if you put the 2011-2015 teams at Pitt Stadium, and the attendance would be averaging below 35k.

What the hell is "attendance inflation"?

Fatter people?

Seriously, though.... you put those 1979-1981 teams at Heinz Field, and the attendance would be averaging over 60k.

Conversely, if you put the 2011-2015 teams at Pitt Stadium, and the attendance would be averaging below 35k.

I don't know how you can state that with any certainty.

I don't know how you can state that with any certainty.

Because we had teams in the late 80s that very closely resembled the current quality and Pitt averaged about 35,000 at Pitt Stadium those years.

Conversely, we had a lot of buzz and a pre-season Top-15 ranking in 2003 and averaged over 55,000 at Heinz Field.

During those years, Pitt Stadium's capacity was 56,500.... and around 60,000 for a couple of games where they put in extra bleachers on the track (ND and PSU games).

So... During the greatest 8-year run in our programs history, Pitt averaged about 48,100 in a 56,500-seat stadium. That's more than 8,000 empty seats on average.... for a program with 6 Top-10 finishes in 8 years including a National Championship.

Your memory is clouded.

They didn't come. And you don't even want me to look up the years from 1984 to 1999... the average attendance is around 35k for those years.

Pitt averaged about 33,000 at Heinz in 2007, a 5 win season following a 6 win season the year prior.

Pitt averaged 30,000 in 1993 at Pitt Stadium, a 3 win season following a 3 win season the year prior.

Pitt bottoms out in the low 30s. That's out hardcore fan group.

They averaged about 59,000 in 2003 at Heinz with a loaded and ranked team. They averaged about 55,000 in 1982 with a loaded and ranked team. Both years Pitt had ND at home to help bring up the average.

Pitt peaks somewhere between 55 and 60k, during good seasons and with at least one guaranteed sell out on the schedule.

I don't contend that we sold out Pitt Stadium, but I look at the facts and see that we don't do much better at Heinz. We should do MUCH better considering how much people like to claim that Oakland was a horrible place for college football, nowhere to park, crappy seats and bathrooms, bad traffic, walking their butts up the hill, etc, etc. Why is it about the same when all that 'terrible' stuff has been eliminated?

AttvsWinsthrough2014season_zpsdbkuxkwm.jpg

It's pretty obvious that some of these posters are Nitter or Hoopie trolls. Almost certainly that person pumping that ridiculous website is a Nitter/Hoopie.

AttvsWinsthrough2014season_zpsdbkuxkwm.jpg

It's pretty obvious that some of these posters are Nitter or Hoopie trolls. Almost certainly that person pumping that ridiculous website is a Nitter/Hoopie.

Good chart!

But I wouldn't call them trolls or nitters/hoopies necessarily. They're just misguided and nostalgic for something that is better in their memory banks than it was in actuality.

Good chart!

But I wouldn't call them trolls or nitters/hoopies necessarily. They're just misguided and nostalgic for something that is better in their memory banks than it was in actuality.

That's through 2014, btw. And you can imagine 2015: 48,150 with a 0.667 winning percentage.

No, it is absolutely destructive to Pitt's program to post this stuff so much, trying to sow discontent with what we have and will have. They aren't merely misguided. It's either bottom barrel stupidity, or straight out hostility.

Why is it about the same when all that 'terrible' stuff has been eliminated?

So... since you contend that attendance is the same no matter whether Pitt plays at Heinz or in Oakland, what's the justification for spending half a billion dollars for a new stadium in Oakland?

There's no BUSINESS case to be made for Pitt to move from Heinz. You proved it yourself.

(actually, attendance HAS been better at Heinz than at Pitt Stadium - see Paco's chart - but I'll concede your assertion. You still lose the argument.)

What is attendance inflation? We've had some better years at Heinze than most years at Pitt stadium. In General the move off campus neither helped much nor hurt much.

That isn't Pitt's responsibility. It's the city's. Hell, they can't do anything.

Somehow I can't see the city dumping 300 mil into a mass transit system to get fans into Oakland 7 times a year.

They didn't come when it was there before.... they won't come now.

It simply is never happening in your lifetime... and you are wasting brain cycles thinking it will.

It's not that the fact that "they will come", that it would be right sized and not a giant yellow behemoth that way when 45K come, it fills up and looks good.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
s
Somehow I can't see the city dumping 300 mil into a mass transit system to get fans into Oakland 7 times a year.
Not 7 times a year it would benefit the Pirates, Steelers, the North Shore hotels, restruants, businesses not to mention commuting to downtown ( whatever you call it across the river).
It would connect Pittsburgh for sports, social events, and work!
In addition people on the North Shore could"reverse" commute to Oakland for work, PITT basketball, other PITT events and just visiting and having fun in Oakland without having to park.
Great idea!

Reactions: vinniep33
It's not that the fact that "they will come", that it would be right sized and not a giant yellow behemoth that way when 45K come, it fills up and looks good.
That's not a good enough reason to spend half a billion.... when a few thousand dollars worth of tarp on the upper deck north endzone bleachers accomplishes the same thing.

And then spend a few million when the time comes to replace the yellow seats with gray ones.

There's no BUSINESS case to be made for Pitt to move from Heinz. You proved it yourself.

People need to read and think about this article and realistically comtemplate how this fits with Pitt's actual situation:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

How does Pitt, with bottom Power 5 revenue and bottom public support for the university, compete in this environment? If you have a hypothetical $500 million extra to spending athletics over ten years, where do you put it to compete in this environment from a strategic, operational/business point of view. What is the most efficient use of every dollar? What would make the biggest possible impact on competitiveness?

Last edited:
That's through 2014, btw. And you can imagine 2015: 48,150 with a 0.667 winning percentage.

No, it is absolutely destructive to Pitt's program to post this stuff so much, trying to sow discontent with what we have and will have. They aren't merely misguided. It's either bottom barrel stupidity, or straight out hostility.

So people who post in support for an on-campus stadium are either hostile trolls or idiots, right?

I'm not saying the posted designs/plans are good (they really aren't). But I don't really understand the vitriol for people who discuss the stadium topic when it comes up.

So people who post in support for an on-campus stadium are either hostile trolls or idiots, right?

I'm not saying the posted designs/plans are good (they really aren't). But I don't really understand the vitriol for people who discuss the stadium topic when it comes up.
Yes, I'll say it 1000 times if get through these morons' thick skulls: People that post this tired idiotic shit EVERY OTHER F**KING DAY ARE MAJOR F**ING IDIOTS OR DUMPSTER TROLLS.

They show zero ability to process information or deal with reality, literally, the same people day after day, week after week, year after year. It plays right into every recruiting adversary's playbook. They are morons. Major f*cking morons. No stadium is coming. Deal with f***ing reality.

Last edited:

Your memory is clouded.

Let's also be realistic. The Pirates rarely averaged 20K (1.6 Million) a season. Rarely. Even in a 50-60K stadium. I think its best attendance for the longest time was 1960 at Forbes with 1.7 Million attendance. The Pirates drew 2.5 million and averaged over 30K in a 37K stadium, their 4th straight year over 2 million.

My point here, things have changed, more people go to sporting events than ever before, despite all games being essentially televised and so many other options. People do things. Of course the Bucs have been a playoff team the past 3 years, but it also proves a nice, right sized stadium creates a fun atmosphere that people want to be a part of.

The last 3 years at PNC Park have been
2013 28,210 per game
2014 30,155 per game
2015 30,846 per game.
Stadium capacity somewhere around 37,800.

The last time the Pirates made it to the playoffs 3 straight years mind you in a 60,000 seat stadium:
1990 25,089 per game
1991 25,489 per game
1992 22,585 per game

Incidentally all 3 years were the highest 3 years of attendance for Pirate games in Three Rivers Stadium

Again, winning obviously helps, but it is the atmosphere, a place to be that is what makes a more consistent draw.

Nothing says 'minor league' like a 45k sized stadium.
BTW, read this article if you want the truth about new stadiums.
http://articles.philly.com/2015-10-...-stadium-infocision-stadium-temple-university

Not necessarily. I mean, if you do it like UConn, it can seem very minor league. But neither Stanford or Minnesota's stadiums come across small at all (I realize those are both ~50K and not 45). I was watching a Stanford game a few weeks back and the stadium actually seemed larger than 50K to me.

Yes, I'll say it 1000 times if get through these morons' thick skulls: People that post this EVERY OTHER F**KING DAY ARE MAJOR F**ING IDIOTS OR DUMPSTER TROLLS.

This specific plan, maybe. The general topic of a stadium, I think you are incorrect. Lots of reasonable Pitt fans are interested in talking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT