ADVERTISEMENT

Young rebuilt VT in 2 years. Can Capel do the same?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lets compare:

Mike Young inherited the following players who played a game for VT:

Wadissa Bede (averaged 4 PPG in 25 MPG)
PJ Horne (averaged 4.7 PPG in 14 MPG)

The following players were redshirting and never played a game for Buzz
- Landers Nolley (transferred to Memphis)
- Tyrece Radford (suspended for the season in January)

Now, lets compare that to what Capel is "inheriting" in Year 4:

- Femi Odukale
- Ithiel Horton
- AKC
- Will Jeffress
- Noah Collier
- Max Amadusun
- Terrell Brown
- Nike Sibande

Capel also had the advantage of a full recruiting cycle whereas Young did not. Should we expect an NCAAT team in Year 5 considering Young is going to the NCAAT after inheriting a mess at VT and completely rebuilt the team lighting fast?

You forgot Gerald Drumgoole and Champ. He has a least an NIT team now. No reason to not be bubblish next year.

No because his staff sucks, his recruiting has not lived up to the billing, he has NOBODY committed so far for next year and he is a below avg X's and O's coach. So I agree with what DT wrote in his Dribbles about next season. It won't be as bad as Stallings but unless we get a couple of high impact guys like Reid, Champ returns then it's going to be another bottom of the league year. And the X factor is who else will leave after the season. Just so many questions right now.

Another Mike Young post? I was wondering when you were going to get to it this week :)

Reactions: Bellack1
No because his staff sucks, his recruiting has not lived up to the billing, he has NOBODY committed so far for next year and he is a below avg X's and O's coach. So I agree with what DT wrote in his Dribbles about next season. It won't be as bad as Stallings but unless we get a couple of high impact guys like Reid, Champ returns then it's going to be another bottom of the league year. And the X factor is who else will leave after the season. Just so many questions right now.
Webster and Frazier might be the best 1-2 young recruiting punch in the ACC

Another Mike Young post? I was wondering when you were going to get to it this week :)

He has earned a weekly spot on here. I cant get over the rebuilding job he did. I honestly thought VT was done, never to be heard from again. If Young can rebuild VT from nothing to an NCAAT team in 2 years, shouldn't Capel be able to do it in 5?

Why on earth would Champ “transfer up?”

So you think he will play on a last place Pitt team if he decides not to go to the NBA? If he plays college basketball next season, it will be for a blue blood or almost blue blood

So you think he will play on a last place Pitt team if he decides not to go to the NBA? If he plays college basketball next season, it will be for a blue blood or almost blue blood

Oh my. Is that a prediction?

Also. I don’t think he will play in college next year but if he does it’ll be at Pitt.

Why on earth would he “transfer up?”

Oh my. Is that a prediction?

Also. I don’t think he will play in college next year but if he does it’ll be at Pitt.

Why on earth would he “transfer up?”

My prediction is he is going to the NBA.

I also predict if he plays college basketball next season, it wont be at Pitt.

Yes
Because program doesn’t matter when every game is televised and scouted

what do you think is better for his numbers -
Being the best player at Pitt or the 3rd or 4th option somewhere else ?
Think for once

Reactions: Ski11585
Yes
Because program doesn’t matter when every game is televised and scouted

what do you think is better for his numbers -
Being the best player at Pitt or the 3rd or 4th option somewhere else ?
Think for once

Patric Williams didn't start a game and was a Top 5 pick. Champagnie will be one of the top 2 options for any team he goes to next year: Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, etc. He will NOT be at Pitt and that's an SMF guarantee

Patric Williams didn't start a game and was a Top 5 pick. Champagnie will be one of the top 2 options for any team he goes to next year: Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, etc. He will NOT be at Pitt and that's an SMF guarantee
And he would be THE undisputed option, the preseason ACC POY and get a ton of National attention at Pitt even on a .500 or below team. It makes zero sense for him to transfer to another school, especially with a coaching staff that recruited him and will build everything around him. It’s either pro or return here.

No bragging about being right if he goes to the nba when me, @BballinsiderfromPitt, @pitt90seven and others have been saying that for months.

If there’s one thing that people on this board don’t understand, it’s that life isn’t a video game.

Every player wants to win, nobody’s happy losing. But the 12 days a year in football or the 30 a year in bball are just a small portion of the 365 days in a year. There’s SO much more that goes into a decision to leave or stay that unless you have a connection to the situation, you have no idea.

Do they like the teammates? Do they have a gf on campus? Do they trust the coaches? Does their role put them in place to show off skills for the next level? Are they “happy” there?

These guys aren’t robots whose only goal in life is to win more basketball games, even though that’s what you and Poker base all these projections off of.

Is basketball a big part of it? Sure. But look at good teams whether in football or basketball, they usually have good players, many who keep coming back. Life isn’t a video game, maybe those people are happy there. Maybe they really enjoy going to the workouts, and practices, and hanging out with those teammates and coaches with a role that allows them to shine. Maybe it’s just close to home... who knows...

Just tired of reading all these transfer predictions constantly. And because it’s CBB, there’s always a chance it might end up right because like 50% of players transfer every year. But there’s so much more that goes into it than “me win 7 ACC games. Me want to win 11 ACC games”... while I know many of you think that these guys are basketball playing robots, that transition means moving to a new area, meeting and meshing with new teammates and coaches, figuring out a new role, etc. Some guys might think that’s worth it and some might not. But every good player doesn’t leave to transfer after a bad season.

If there’s one thing that people on this board don’t understand, it’s that life isn’t a video game.

Every player wants to win, nobody’s happy losing. But the 12 days a year in football or the 30 a year in bball are just a small portion of the 365 days in a year. There’s SO much more that goes into a decision to leave or stay that unless you have a connection to the situation, you have no idea.

Do they like the teammates? Do they have a gf on campus? Do they trust the coaches? Does their role put them in place to show off skills for the next level? Are they “happy” there?

These guys aren’t robots whose only goal in life is to win more basketball games, even though that’s what you and Poker base all these projections off of.

Is basketball a big part of it? Sure. But look at good teams whether in football or basketball, they usually have good players, many who keep coming back. Life isn’t a video game, maybe those people are happy there. Maybe they really enjoy going to the workouts, and practices, and hanging out with those teammates and coaches with a role that allows them to shine. Maybe it’s just close to home... who knows...

Just tired of reading all these transfer predictions constantly. And because it’s CBB, there’s always a chance it might end up right because like 50% of players transfer every year. But there’s so much more that goes into it than “me win 7 ACC games. Me want to win 11 ACC games”... while I know many of you think that these guys are basketball playing robots, that transition means moving to a new area, meeting and meshing with new teammates and coaches, figuring out a new role, etc. Some guys might think that’s worth it and some might not. But every good player doesn’t leave to transfer after a bad season.

these guys want to get to the league. period. anything else is WAY down the list.

I mean, @Sean Miller Fan wants Tre Mitchell's mom to pimp him out to bring him to Pitt so I think for him it's all fantasy hoops GM'ing.

His draft status won’t change with the program
This isn’t complicated
His skills and athleticism are all that matters

I mean, @Sean Miller Fan wants Tre Mitchell's mom to pimp him out to bring him to Pitt so I think for him it's all fantasy hoops GM'ing.

I dont get this narrative. I mean she already did "pimp him out" by making her play for her boyfriend's team. As a Top 100, he could have just about chosen ANY team to play for but instead decided to play for a bottom of the barrel A10 program. So now, if they are still dating, married, whatever, the assistant is trying to move up the ladder. College basketball is shady AF. You think these coaches dont try to tye players to their own job prospects. If Im that assistant, Im absolutely saying with a wink that he thinks certain UMass players could follow him whether that's at Pitt or somewhere else. A10 assistants get bigger jobs all the time.

His draft status won’t change with the program
This isn’t complicated
His skills and athleticism are all that matters
You think Cam Johnson would have still been a first round pick if he stayed at Pitt all 4 years? I think him leaving for UNC helped him tremendously. It can make a difference. If Champagnie doesn't go pro, why would he want to play another year here for a bottom feeder team when he could go to a blue blood, be on ESPN every damn game and get TONS of national attention. I bet 80% of college basketball fans still have never heard of him. If he goes to Kansas let's say for example? 80% WILL have heard of him.

You think Cam Johnson would have still been a first round pick if he stayed at Pitt all 4 years? I think him leaving for UNC helped him tremendously. It can make a difference. If Champagnie doesn't go pro, why would he want to play another year here for a bottom feeder team when he could go to a blue blood, be on ESPN every damn game and get TONS of national attention. I bet 80% of college basketball fans still have never heard of him. If he goes to Kansas let's say for example? 80% WILL have heard of him.
i was gonna say... Cam Johnson and Tyler Herro (2 lottery picks who were the 3rd options) say hello.

Reactions: PittPoker
Yes
I absolutely think he’d have been drafted the same if he played as well at Pitt as he did his last two years at unc
They don’t care what college he finishes with

Reactions: Team_Pitt_Fan
You think Tyler herro isn’t a 1 and done lotto pick if he played for say- cincy instead ?
He was ranked 36th coming out of HS as a 4 star. There is absolutely no way to tell if he’s a 1 and done. But he certainly wasn’t a shoe-in like he was at Kentucky where he was given free reign to do the things he was good at with Johnson and Washington on the floor with him.

Reactions: PittPoker

My point is you could say this about the best player of like 50 P5 teams every year who aren’t blue bloods or Top 20 teams. Sure there are 1 or 2 who actually do this, but the VAST majority of the time they stay there or go to the pro level.

I don’t know why this is even still a discussion, it came from his mouth (or keyboard) that he’s not transferring. He’ll play at Pitt or as a pro next year.

My point is you could say this about the best player of like 50 P5 teams every year who aren’t blue bloods or Top 20 teams. Sure there are 1 or 2 who actually do this, but the VAST majority of the time they stay there or go to the pro level.

I don’t know why this is even still a discussion, it came from his mouth (or keyboard) that he’s not transferring. He’ll play at Pitt or as a pro next year.
It's not gospel. Kids change their minds all the time.

It's not gospel. Kids change their minds all the time.

Right, but all I’m saying is this... there are probably the same odds of Champ transferring somewhere as there are Efton Reid playing here next year (both extremely slim). Actually, probably higher odds of Reid coming here...

Why is it that you post the negative unlikely scenario every single day reminding us how possible it is, but if somebody posted about the possibility of Reid coming here you’d instantly shut it down?

You just love the negative hypotheticals and I’m not quite sure why other than we’re Pitt fans and we’re conditioned to think that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT