ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers

I swear it comes down to a sense of urgency or something with him. Like he can get hyperfocused and score with the game on the line when we NEED it. UCF '19, UNC '19, EMU '19, Duke '18 and '19, Ravens last season, Colts last season, Raiders last season, etc., etc., etc. But he gets into too many of these lulls where maybe the focus just isn't there or something.
The Duke game in '18? Wasn't that a rainy day in Pittsburgh? I was there, as I remember we scored 54 points.

I actually want them to start moving on, scout QBs to draft next spring and consider available vets, Kenny is not the guy at least so far, he needs to improve right now, or I'd be looking elsewhere. Of course, with morons like Rooney and Tomlin entrenched forever there's no hope for logical change, Rooney want's "stability" and that means "the standard" (.500 record)
kirk cousins is available.

The Duke game in '18? Wasn't that a rainy day in Pittsburgh? I was there, as I remember we scored 54 points.

Yeah, it doesn't look like a comeback win on paper because I think we got a safety or something at the end, but he led us downfield a few times when we needed it and dropped a dime to Ffrench toward the end.

What a stupid 4th and 1 call.

The announcer was literally like "I really don't like this" as the Steelers lined up in 4th and 1 from the Shotgun.

Inexcusable play call. I wanted to throw a glass at my tv. I simply can't take his dumb****ery from Matt Canada any more. There's a good chance that a random 13 year old Madden player could at least design and call better plays at this point.

kirk cousins is available.
People make fun of Cousins, and some have even said that Kenny might be as good as Cousins someday, as an insult, it's not an insult at all, if Kenny could start playing as good as Cousins, I'd want to keep him long term.

Reactions: martingale
Yeah, it doesn't look like a comeback win on paper because I think we got a safety or something at the end, but he led us downfield a few times when we needed it and dropped a dime to Ffrench toward the end.
My point is we scored 54, so we must have had successful drives all day, withe Steelers, getting to 20 is rare.

I'll die on the hill that there is very little difference between Brock Purdy and Kenny as players. One just happens to play for a coach who knows why things work and one players for a coach who sounds cool when he talks.

I don't disagree with that at all. I might even say Pickett is a little better of a creator. But yeah - Purdy was just a luxury pick for a team that had everything in place and can thrive as a game-managing cog in the system, whereas Pickett needs to be the guy. Fair or unfair, that's just how it is. I think when you're part of an offensive rebuild, as Pickett is, it's best to have some great tangibles (legs, arm strength), etc. so you can make things happen while learning on the job.

Like, I have little doubt that Pickett will learn and get better. I know he was an older draft pick, but it still takes time to adjust to the speed of the game and different defenses: He'll eventually make those plays above. The problem is we can't afford to have that type of QB right now. We need someone who can make some playground plays while learning on the job.

Why do Steelers fans cling to the past? Kenny is starting to look like a bust, Mason is a proven bust, how about roll the dice on someone else not on the team right now, either another high draft pick or a free agent?
I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with because I think we’re on the same page here, unless that comment was more meant for the other poster? I agree with everything that you said; Pickett isn’t looking great, but that also doesn’t mean than Rudolph is warranted another chance because he looked about the same.

I half-jokingly mentioned that they should trade for Cousins if Pickett is out long-term yesterday, although that might be a moot point as long as Canada is the play caller. I’m sure there’d be cap implications as well.

Reactions: Pitt79
People make fun of Cousins, and some have even said that Kenny might be as good as Cousins someday, as an insult, it's not an insult at all, if Kenny could start playing as good as Cousins, I'd want to keep him long term.
1200 yards in 4 games with 11 Tds and 4 interceptions? I'd take that.

He had 4500 yards passing last year with 29 tds. Going to surpass 40k career passing yards by thanksgiving of this year.

He is going to have more passing yards than Joe Montana at the end of this year and be in the top 20 in all time passing yards..

If Pickett has 1/2 the career Cousins has, it would be a small miracle..

Kenny is gun shy. multiple people open here.. this is on him..

Yep, he has missed a few throws per game.

It's also true that he's getting the absolute **** beat out of him by an OL that can't pass block, the running game produced precisely zero this outside of 1-2 drives total, the OC keeps calling the same 3 plays to the point that defensive players all over the league are openly saying they know what's coming, all of our throws are 10 yard outs to the sideline to gain 3 yards, and our star players are dropping passes in the end zone.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

He's a young player with almost nothing working around him. It's affecting the fundamentals of his game - reading the field and footwork. Absolutely no one is succeeding in this scheme, no one. And be prepared for Mitch to come in and have the exact same things happen. Mitch is a 60 game starter and looked like hot dog**** on every one his 5 throws.

It's also true that he's getting the absolute **** beat out of him by an OL that can't pass block, the running game produced precisely zero this outside of 1-2 drives total, the OC keeps calling the same 3 plays to the point that defensive players all over the league are openly saying they know what's coming, all of our throws are 10 yard outs to the sideline to gain 3 yards, and our star players are dropping passes in the end zone.

He's a young player with almost nothing working around him. It's affecting the fundamentals of his game - reading the field and footwork. Absolutely no one is succeeding in this scheme, no one. And be prepared for Mitch to come in and have the exact same things happen. Mitch is a 60 game starter and looked like hot dog**** on every one his 5 throws.
i really cant disagree with one single word here. I am a big pickett fan and him being drafted into this franchise was a curse. from being a 3rd string QB in camp all summer and that horrible mismanagement to this debacle this year with Canada..

Yup, agree with all of this. It’s sad because we (Steeler fans) like to dog on the Browns for how they’ve handled young quarterbacks over the years, including their most recent one in Mayfield, but botched Pickett’s development just as much IMO.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s played more like “bust” than “stud” in 2023, but we’ve done him no favors at every corner between poor offensive line play and retaining Canada for a third season. It’s sad to see the current state of this franchise.

I'll die on the hill that there is very little difference between Brock Purdy and Kenny as players. One just happens to play for a coach who knows why things work and one players for a coach who sounds cool when he talks.
The biggest difference between the 2, one was a 1st round draft choice and 1st QB selected in the draft and the other not just a last round draft choice but the last selection of the draft if I’m remembering correctly. Crazy when you think about it, regardless of the difference in coaches and systems.

i really cant disagree with one single word here. I am a big pickett fan and him being drafted into this franchise was a curse. from being a 3rd string QB in camp all summer and that horrible mismanagement to this debacle this year with Canada..

Yep. Pickett has been mismanaged by this team from Day 1. The 3rd string camp stuff to then throwing him in cold after a 1-3 start was completely laughable.

The Steelers have become an immensely lazy and incurious franchise. They do not invest in exploitable areas of the game like analytics and number of coaches. They were among the last in the NFL to have any kind of analytics department. They have 15 assistant coaches and the Cowboys have 23, for example.

Let's face it, the Steelers are an organization that no longer has the answers. They only have answers to the questions that used to be asked.

Biggest Pickett fan in the world but I’m ready to give Mitch a shot. Just isn’t working at all. He’s missing a ton of open wrs, bailing out of pocket way too early.

Got to try one thing new and we don’t seem to be moving on from Canada.
They're aren't of tons of open WRs...trust me. Pickens had no shake so anything intermediate, he's going to be covered. Muth just runs basically one route - seam stop or seam down the middle. Austin runs a nice deep route - but that's all he does at this point. And Najee in the flat - Police League offense.

They're aren't of tons of open WRs...trust me. Pickens had no shake so anything intermediate, he's going to be covered. Muth just runs basically one route - seam stop or seam down the middle. Austin runs a nice deep route - but that's all he does at this point. And Najee in the flat - Police League offense.

Yeah, the only "complete" receiver we have in Johnson, and he's inconsistent as hell. Every other guy seems fairly easy to scheme for.

Reactions: 303vND
Yep. Pickett has been mismanaged by this team from Day 1. The 3rd string camp stuff to then throwing him in cold after a 1-3 start was completely laughable.

The Steelers have become an immensely lazy and incurious franchise. They do not invest in exploitable areas of the game like analytics and number of coaches. They were among the last in the NFL to have any kind of analytics department. They have 15 assistant coaches and the Cowboys have 23, for example.

Let's face it, the Steelers are an organization that no longer has the answers. They only have answers to the questions that used to be asked.
Wow I didn’t realize that. I knew the Rooney’s didn’t pay for coaches, but I just thought they underpaid for coordinators and position coaches. Holy Moses.

Wow I didn’t realize that. I knew the Rooney’s didn’t pay for coaches, but I just thought they underpaid for coordinators and position coaches. Holy Moses.
Yep. the 49ers have 25 assistant coaches. And I'm not even counting coordinators, which the 49ers don't have because Shanahan does that, too.

I really think the Steelers are terribly coached. Agree with others who said our offense just looks too hard. Every other coach in the league is able to routinely get nobodies like Lil'Jordan Humphrey wide TF open but we can't. And the reason we can't is because: 1) we only use a fraction of the field, which acts like a 12th defender; and 2) we don't ever try to confuse the defense or make them adjust before the snap. On almost every play they get to look at half of the answers on a multiple choice test and eliminate some bad ones.

Yep. the 49ers have 25 assistant coaches. And I'm not even counting coordinators, which the 49ers don't have because Shanahan does that, too.

I really think the Steelers are terribly coached. Agree with others who said our offense just looks too hard. Every other coach in the league is able to routinely get nobodies like Lil'Jordan Humphrey wide TF open but we can't. And the reason we can't is because: 1) we only use a fraction of the field, which acts like a 12th defender; and 2) we don't ever try to confuse the defense or make them adjust before the snap. On almost every play they get to look at half of the answers on a multiple choice test and eliminate some bad ones.
Yep. They know the answers to the test, just like most of them did while in a college classroom.

(I was an Olympic sport guy and I had to sit beside the football and basketball players to get the answers).

Since we're mico-analyzing every single play. This was a good drive by Pickett:

- Escapes pressure on 3rd and 3 throw
- Good ball to Pickens in EZ, dropped
- Good ball to Allen Robinson, who sat instead of running to the pylon where the ball went. If he runs the right route, another TD.

- Good ball to Allen Robinson, who sat instead of running to the pylon where the ball went. If he runs the right route, another TD.

That's a good account of the Robinson pass, because 99% of Yinzer Nation is no doubt criticizing him for not throwing to Heyward, who was mysteriously wide open after the ball was in the air.

Kenny taketh; these receivers taketh.

I think I keep coming back to these guys all playing nervous and unsure because there's just nothing that comes easy and allows for any rhythm or confidence. If Kansas City's quarterback/receivers do this stuff, it's just "Oh golly! They'll have to wait until next play to torch someone."

Last edited:
That's a good account of the Robinson pass, because 99% of Yinzer Nation is no doubt criticizing him for not throwing to Heyward, who was mysteriously wide open after the ball was in the air.

Kenny taketh; these receivers taketh.

I think I keep coming back to these guys all playing nervous and unsure because there's just nothing that comes easy and allows for any rhythm or confidence.
Yeah, I’m as critical as anyone but fans and media often only see “these guys were wide open” well after the decisions of the play had to be made. Doesn’t stop any of us from pointing it out of course.

As we’ve been saying, there’s no single answer here.

The OL stinks; it might even worse now than the last three years, and that’s saying something

Pickett has always been too skittish, and especially so now that he’s been pummeled so much.

The bigger issue is that he just ain’t “elite”. And the best of his peers are far better. Even in his own division. That’s what you get at the 22nd pick though. And it is showing now why he lasted to that point.

However, that said:

The receivers mostly stink; none are elite at least

The RB are mediocre; the first round guy is worse than the UDFA

The OC doesn’t belong in the NFL

The Head coach is a complete stooge at this point, he was hired mostly because he is minority, and keeps his job now SOLELY because he’s a minority. No coach keeps his job, not even with the Pirates, after a freaking decade of postseason futility, unless there is another agenda. Even Duz has won a COUPLE postseason games.

The owner is the definition of “incompetent scion” to a great or brilliant father. He’s essentially a Trump or Biden son, coasting on the family name. At the time BR retired, ARII actually came out and said he wanted the Steelers offense to revert to 1976.

Oh yes, and the defense is blatantly overrated too (and excessively expensive)

What do you do with all THAT?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt79 and 303vND
The announcer was literally like "I really don't like this" as the Steelers lined up in 4th and 1 from the Shotgun.

Inexcusable play call. I wanted to throw a glass at my tv. I simply can't take his dumb****ery from Matt Canada any more. There's a good chance that a random 13 year old Madden player could at least design and call better plays at this point.

Yeah and the WRs were running routes down the field. I guess in Canada's mind he thought he would stretch the field and dump it off to someone going short. LOL. Seems like very one dimential thinking.

The bigger issue is that he just ain’t “elite”. And the best of his peers are far better. Even in his own division. That’s what you get at the 22nd pick though. And it is showing now why he lasted to that point.

Yeah, he's the guy the Patriots would draft like 32nd, after just winning a Super Bowl, and everyone would think, "Huh?"

I think his future involves improving, serving as a backup, and then probably starting for some team down the line on account of them not having anyone better. Basically, Jimmy G., Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Mitch Trubisky, and a couple hundred other guys... without splitting hairs too much, he's in that ilk. Sometimes, like Jared Goff this season, those guys end up in decent situations. Other times, they're just collecting a paycheck.

Yup, agree with all of this. It’s sad because we (Steeler fans) like to dog on the Browns for how they’ve handled young quarterbacks over the years, including their most recent one in Mayfield, but botched Pickett’s development just as much IMO.
The Steelers didn't have to develop a QB for 20 years, Tomlin and his record was made better by never having to address the QB position, it was a given for him from 2007-2021

Yeah, I’m as critical as anyone but fans and media often only see “these guys were wide open” well after the decisions of the play had to be made. Doesn’t stop any of us from pointing it out of course.

As we’ve been saying, there’s no single answer here.

The OL stinks; it might even worse now than the last three years, and that’s saying something

Pickett has always been too skittish, and especially so now that he’s been pummeled so much.

However, that said:

The receivers mostly stink; none are elite at least

The RB are mediocre; the first round guy is worse than the UDFA

The OC doesn’t belong in the NFL

The Head coach is a complete stooge at this point, he was hired mostly because he is minority, and keeps his job now SOLELY because he’s a minority. No coach keeps his job, not even with the Pirates, after a freaking decade of postseason futility, unless there is another agenda. Even Duz has won a COUPLE postseason games.

The owner is the definition of “incompetent scion” to a great or brilliant father. He’s essentially a Trump or Biden son, coasting on the family name. At the time BR retired, ARII actually came out and said he wanted the Steelers offense to revert to 1976.

Oh yes, and the defense is blatantly overrated too (and excessively expensive)

What do you do with all THAT?
he's bailing from clean pockets where wide receivers are open. That's the point.. if he doesnt run into a sack on these two plays we are talkign about, he sees a wide open Heyward. On the 4th and 1, Again, the play was to heyward and he is looking at him and for some unknown reason, spins left into a sack and gets hurt doing so..

the TD miss play, who knows but that 4th and 1 is on him and him only.

The Steelers didn't have to develop a QB for 20 years, Tomlin and his record was made better by never having to address the QB position, it was a given for him from 2007-2021
I’ve been a big Tomlin supporter/defender throughout his entire tenure. After yesterday’s game, I’m starting to grow a little weary.

That wasn’t just a typical “Tomlin game” where we come out flat and end up losing to a team we should beat; we got whooped. I’ve never seen them get outplayed like that to such an inferior opponent (then again, who knows how much better than them we actually are?). It’s also frightening how similar Tomlin is to Narduzzi in that they’re too stubborn to make big but necessary coaching changes. It feels like the league is passing us by. Not good.

The whole sequence where Pickett got hurt was symbolic of the problems on the Offense:

1. Why not kick a field goal and make it a one score game (16-9)

2. Why the hell are you in a shotgun on 4th and 1???????? You should be under center with Warren in the backfield.

3. The OL can't pass block, especially in a critical situation. Pickett has become gun shy. Unless the OL plays a lot better, it won't no matter which QB is under center.

4. Yes, Pickett has not played great either. He's forcing the ball to guys like Pickens when the there are other receivers open. I'm willing to bet that Pickens is in his ear whining about not getting the ball. That doesn't help.

Side note: The refereeing was PISS POOR yesterday. Unbelievably bad. Not the reason they lost but it was frustrating...

Totally agree.
The difference is one has an offensive system along with great talent that makes it difficult of the defense to defend and the other has an OC who runs perhaps the most basic of route combinations.

Pickett could be a bust. However, we now have had three different qbs put up mediocre numbers in an offense that many knowledgeable people seriously question. Replacing Canada with a qb friendly guru type OC and upgrading the talent at OL is the first order of business.

Last edited:

1st play: Good play making something out of nothing. I need to see the all 22 but at a glance all receivers are covered.
2nd play: Not sure of the read but Washington (80) in the left corner was open. Texans have two to defend and Canada sends the Washington to the corner with Najee going into the flat. Safety has the deep but is inside. If Pickett makes the quick decision the throw is there.
3rd play: Line broke down but Pickett looked to be throwing to Heyward in the left corner of the end zone.

Pickett's decision making is a tad slow. Yes the line needs to do better (three passing plays and he only had a good pocket on 1) but in the NFL you need to get rid of the ball by count 3. He is not doing that.

That said, you can see that the Texans are anticipating the Steelers routes. Also, why does Canada have an infatuation with the shallow cross?

It feels like the league is passing us by. Not good.
We've already been passed, years ago, a combination of Tomlin and Rooney on his ass to play 1976 football, Rooney said that in an interview :) I think we underused Ben in his prime, instead of going all in with a passing offense befitting a hall of fame modern era QB, we wanted to "establish the run and shorten the game" and then often times just use Ben's skills to come from behind when the 1976 strategy failed. That's why Ben is #3 all time behind Brady and Manning in 4th quarter comebacks. Everything about the 2023 Steelers is TOTALLY OBSOLETE, it's a flip phone compared to an iPhone 15. the philosophy of game play, the offense, the pass routes, the play book, even the defense are decades behind.

We've already been passed, years ago, a combination of Tomlin and Rooney on his ass to play 1976 football, Rooney said that in an interview :) I think we underused Ben in his prime, instead of going all in with a passing offense befitting a hall of fame modern era QB, we wanted to "establish the run and shorten the game" and then often times just use Ben's skills to come from behind when the 1976 strategy failed. That's why Ben is #3 all time behind Brady and Manning in 4th quarter comebacks. Everything about the 2023 Steelers is TOTALLY OBSOLETE, it's a flip phone compared to an iPhone 15. the philosophy of game play, the offense, the pass routes, the play book, even the defense are decades behind.
No objections here. It’s a shame because the “Standard” and “Steeler Way” used to have positive connotations. Nowadays, it’s synonymous with having the answers to questions that are no longer asked.

I don't disagree with that at all. I might even say Pickett is a little better of a creator. But yeah - Purdy was just a luxury pick for a team that had everything in place and can thrive as a game-managing cog in the system, whereas Pickett needs to be the guy. Fair or unfair, that's just how it is. I think when you're part of an offensive rebuild, as Pickett is, it's best to have some great tangibles (legs, arm strength), etc. so you can make things happen while learning on the job.

Like, I have little doubt that Pickett will learn and get better. I know he was an older draft pick, but it still takes time to adjust to the speed of the game and different defenses: He'll eventually make those plays above. The problem is we can't afford to have that type of QB right now. We need someone who can make some playground plays while learning on the job.
Kenny has not played great and is getting more skittish in the pocket and making some poor decisions with the ball....but.....every defense that the Steelers play seem to know exactly what is coming on any given play. Canada's offense is predictable and anemic. Put Kenny with Kyle Shannahan and he would be doing what Brock Purdy is doing IMHO...Canada should have been fired this AM if not last ngiht.

No objections here. It’s a shame because the “Standard” and “Steeler Way” used to have positive connotations. Nowadays, it’s synonymous with having the answers to questions that are no longer asked.
The Steeler Way is just doing whatever Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll did, whether it works today or not, and the most important commandments are 1) Never change head coach, so that commentators will mention they've only had 3 in 50 years and 2) always have a ball control 1970s running offense so they can comment how tough you are... even if it's not working that's what YOU MUST DO.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT