ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers

The Steeler Way is just doing whatever Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll did, whether it works today or not, and the most important commandments are 1) Never change head coach, so that commentators will mention they've only had 3 in 50 years and 2) always have a ball control 1970s running offense so they can comment how tough you are... even if it's not working that's what YOU MUST DO.
And the most frustrating thing about it is that there are run-first offenses in the league that are truly tough, and they work! However, they’ve adapted their schemes to the modern NFL. We have not; heck, our plan has centered around making the league adapt to our obsolete college schemes…. Not ideal.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yeah, the only "complete" receiver we have in Johnson, and he's inconsistent as hell. Every other guy seems fairly easy to scheme for.
The Steelers receivers are easy to scheme for because Canada's offense is predictable and Sophomoric. He doesn't put his players in the best position to succeed.

And the most frustrating thing about it is that there are run-first offenses in the league that are truly tough, and they work! However, they’ve adapted their schemes to the modern NFL. We have not; heck, our plan has centered around making the league adapt to our obsolete college schemes…. Not ideal.
49ers have the leading rusher and great running game, but their receivers are always wide open, because the opponent can't load up to stop the run or get burned by the pass, in our case, if we can't run against a D stacked up to stop the run, we have to pass mostly when they know it's coming and our receivers are never really open, no matter what down it is. Kenny has been bad, but 95% of the time he has to throw directly at covered receivers fighting for contested catches, how often do we get a receiver running free in space?

Hoke has gone full Yinzer.

The "Mitch or Mason are better" people are baffling because it's like they don't remember that these guys have actually played before. We know who they are, bad players!

Mason literally lost his job to a UDFA from Samford and has a worse QBR as a starter than Kenny. No one can responsibly say that Mason is better - then or now - than Pickett.

The "Mitch or Mason are better" people are baffling because it's like they don't remember that these guys have actually played before. We know who they are, bad players!

Mason literally lost his job to a UDFA from Samford and has a worse QBR as a starter than Kenny. No one can responsibly say that Mason is better - then or now - than Pickett.
I’m no hypocrite. I’m all for benching Jurkovec, despite the very real possibility that the backups are worse…because why not? Maybe things work better, guys click better with the backup. And it’s the same with Pickett. I frankly doubt Mitchie Boy or Rudolph are better, but I’m all for trying it. Coaches owe it to the customers to try everything reasonable to win.

Chuck Noll, HOF coach, benched Terry Bradshaw, HOF QB, multiple times including TWICE in the season they won their first SB. It isn’t the unthinkable travesty so many seem to think it is

Reactions: CCHS82
Hoke has gone full Yinzer.

Haha, yep. Must have contracted Pierogi-itis from jumping in the river in his underwear that one time. Didn't Mason Rudolph try to basically sign with anybody but the Steelers this past offseason? By my count, that's "Thanks, but no thanks" x 31.

He throws such a lollipop, and he stands in the pocket like a straight masochist until someone all but decapitates him like very play. He'd be leaving in a hearse if we put him behind this line.

I’m no hypocrite. I’m all for benching Jurkovec, despite the very real possibility that the backups are worse…because why not? Maybe things work better, guys click better with the backup. And it’s the same with Pickett. I frankly doubt Mitchie Boy or Rudolph are better, but I’m all for trying it. Coaches owe it to the customers to try everything reasonable to win.

Chuck Noll, HOF coach, benched Terry Bradshaw, HOF QB, multiple times including TWICE in the season they won their first SB. It isn’t the unthinkable travesty so many seem to think it is

Nah. They're totally different scenarios.

Jurkovec has what, 7 games total left in his career? He can't play more even if we want him to. Pitt is 1-3 or 1-4. Might as well try the younger guys because they might get better.

Mitch and Rudolph are Jurkovec in this scenario. Mitch is 60 games into his career. You know what he is, and it's about even with Kenny, who is 17 games in and has had 1 offseason as the planned starter and who has only played with an incompetent OC. Rudolph is 28 years old, a career backup on an expiring contract who also had the chance to start and played even with a guy who has been out of the NFL for years.

Kenny is your 1st round pick. He played even with Mitch in 2022 despite being a rookie and getting zero starter reps in camp. You have cheap control over him for 2023, 2024, 2025, and an option for 2026. He went 1-1 against the two best defenses in the NFL. You simply don't give up on him to "try everything reasonable to win." Giving up on your 1st round pick 17 games in, when you put him in the worst possible spot via your coaching decisions, in favor of two career backups is not reasonable. Frankly, if you want to sit Kenny at this point then you better be in favor of firing the entire scouting department, who drafted him in the 1st, or the entire offensive staff, who failed to develop him, or both.

I'm in favor of sitting Kenny this week because he's banged up but after the bye he should 1000000% still be the guy and should be for the rest of this year.

Was soo sick of hearing the "Khan Artist" every time a move was made this offseason.
The Steelers O line sucks. The two players he traded are starting and playing decent . Dotson had the highest rating for the Rams OL in a win for them. Now the Steelers have injuries on the OL after 4 games.
Freaking Steelers, whatever they touch turns to crap. When was the last playoff win again ?

Haha, yep. Must have contracted Pierogi-itis from jumping in the river in his underwear that one time. Didn't Mason Rudolph try to basically sign with anybody but the Steelers this past offseason? By my count, that's "Thanks, but no thanks" x 31.

He throws such a lollipop, and he stands in the pocket like a straight masochist until someone all but decapitates him like very play. He'd be leaving in a hearse if we put him behind this line.
It's just such a weird thing to say. I've always thought that you could do a lot worse with a backup but at the end of the day, that's all he's ever going to be. If anyone in the league thought he was better than anyone else on the roster, he'd be starting somewhere.

It's just such a weird thing to say. I've always thought that you could do a lot worse with a backup but at the end of the day, that's all he's ever going to be. If anyone in the league thought he was better than anyone else on the roster, he'd be starting somewhere.
He’s not even been judged good enough to be someone else’s SECOND STRING

Reactions: pittdan77
so we have one qb who stays in the pocket too long and we have pickett who runs out of the pocket too quickly. and then we have mitch, who doesnt do anything well.

What is worse? Running out of clean pockets into sacks or standing in pocket too long any getting swallowed up?

Can’t figure out which qb room is worse, the steelers or pitt's..

Last edited:
Nah. They're totally different scenarios.
Nah. They’re exactly the same. The game, that day, is all that matters. You have the starter who sucks that day and hopeless to play better; and backups who might potentially be better in that game. The game is what matters. F the egos and psyches. Try anything, any backup, to win the game you’re in at that moment. If that means activating the team manager on the spot to play so be it.

so we have one qb who stays in the pocket too long and we have pickett who runs out of the pocket too quickly. and then we have mitch, who doesnt do anything well.

Cant figure out which qb room is worse, the steelers or pitt's..

Goldilocks and the Three Quarterbacks.

Why, this quarterback leaves the pocket much too soon!

But this quarterback stays in the pocket far too long!

And this quarterback stays in the pocket just enough.... to throw three interceptions.

Nah. They’re exactly the same. The game, that day, is all that matters. You have the starter who sucks that day and hopeless to play better; and backups who might potentially be better in that game. The game is what matters. F the egos and psyches. Try anything, any backup, to win the game you’re in at that moment. If that means activating the team manager on the spot to play so be it.

You're certainly entitled to your feelings.

You're certainly entitled to your feelings.
I think it’s differing philosophies. I’m not sure what yours is on the subject, maybe you see the season as a long term chess match with complex intricacies a some such thing. That’s fine, if you are happy that way.

I think there is nothing more important than the game being played that day. Yes you don’t just pull guys haphazardly as Walt Harris sometimes did. But you don’t just stand there like a moron and just allow a certain loss to happen (and worse, strings of them in a row) without trying a different direction. That’s an insult to the paying customers. This is a business, fans are customers, coaches deliver the product. We aren’t there for supporting the coaches ego. He refuses to make a change because he put some plan together 7 months ago? F that. The plan failed. Change it.

I'm in favor of sitting Kenny this week because he's banged up but after the bye he should 1000000% still be the guy and should be for the rest of this year.
Agreed 100%, I don't care at all about being 9-8, personally to me, it's more important for KP to get a full audition, even if they go 5-12, I'd like to know sooner, rather than later if I need to get someone else because he's a bust, and so far, indications are that he is. Of course, the dumbass Rooneys will keep him around 4-5 years even if he sucks, because that is what they do, to them, ANY change, whether it's the head coach or the 1975 run offense is scary and horrifying :)

I think it’s differing philosophies. I’m not sure what yours is on the subject, maybe you see the season as a long term chess match with complex intricacies a some such thing. That’s fine, if you are happy that way.

I think there is nothing more important than the game being played that day. Yes you don’t just pull guys haphazardly as Walt Harris sometimes did. But you don’t just stand there like a moron and just allow a certain loss to happen (and worse, strings of them in a row) without trying a different direction. That’s an insult to the paying customers. This is a business, fans are customers, coaches deliver the product. We aren’t there for supporting the coaches ego. He refuses to make a change because he put some plan together 7 months ago? F that. The plan failed. Change it.

I believe in playing the best player(s). Where it's remotely close between two players, then I believe in playing the younger one and/or the one with a longer period of team control in the hope that you can develop them and retain them during said period of control.

Both the better and the younger / one under longer control is Pickett.

You are ignoring that Mitch and Mason have already played and both have sucked. We don't need to try something we've tried before and previously failed at just to be different than how we failed yesterday. That makes no sense. "Eff it, just switch it up" isn't a reasonable philosophy in running a team.

Your philosophy means that rookies would almost never play. And then they wouldn't develop quickly because they aren't getting game reps. That is totally backwards and the worst of all outcomes. What does going 4-13 with Andy Dalton do for the Panthers? Do you value the fans who went to those 4 games versus the entire future of the franchise? That's assuming that fans even want to see the veterans play for a slightly better chance of winning. I don't think that's true. People want to try the shiny new thing. Especially when the team sucks overall. And Pitt and the Steelers both suck.

I'm pretty convinced, that for virtue signaling, Rooney Rule purposes, Art2 may never hire a white head coach again. call me racist if you want, but you should hire whoever you deem better, without considering race.
Send this to the other owners and make sure you remind them of this statement. Because I can give you a long list of coaches that "look like them" who shouldn't have touched an NFL sideline.

What is worse? Running out of clean pockets into sacks or standing in pocket too long any getting swallowed up?

Can’t figure out which qb room is worse, the steelers or pitt's..

Go look at the OL's PFF grades and get back to me on why KP is bailing so quickly. You could have literally just fallen down and gotten in front of a pass rusher and graded better than Dan Moore before he got hurt.

Sunday Tomlin:

Tuesday Tomlin

LMFAO at this fraud. You lose by 3+ touchdowns to the Texans, you have arguably the worst offense in the league over the last 3 years and your answer is to wear pads more at practice?

Pack it in, boys. Season's over. This man either doesn't have any answers or is too cowardly to put them in place.

I'm not sure Tomlin has 2 more years in him. But as far as me being a fan, I am absolutely done with this team if they extend Matt Canada going into the 2024 season. Feels like a pretty low bar but at this point the Steelers give me very little confidence that they even know they're in an emergency let alone how to get out of it.

LMFAO at this fraud. You lose by 3+ touchdowns to the Texans, you have arguably the worst offense in the league over the last 3 years and your answer is to wear pads more at practice?
Sort of proves he doesn't understand the problem or worse, is trying to protect his coordinators by suggesting the game plan was solid and the players just didn't play hard enough.

Go watch Josh Allen's first couple of seasons. Not every QB gets to walk into a team stacked with a playoff caliber roster. Even Ben had some really soft seasons at the beginning and that was a Super Bowl team.

It's lazy to just sit there and point fingers at one guy when defensive players in this league laugh and are happy to say out loud that they know what's coming from this offense. Kenny didn't roll the right way on this play but there isn't any thought at all given to the fact that every blizting player is coming from the side the Steelers are trying to run the play to. Nobody is going to say KP is lighting things up and playing well but my God does this scheme suck. I mean, Ben is a HOF QB to most everyone in Pittsburgh and even he couldn't make this offense work.
Ben had the mobility of a 80 year old also coming off elbow surgery

Sunday Tomlin:

Tuesday Tomlin

Pack it in, boys. Season's over. This man either doesn't have any answers or is too cowardly to put them in place.

I'm not sure Tomlin has 2 more years in him. But as far as me being a fan, I am absolutely done with this team if they extend Matt Canada going into the 2024 season. Feels like a pretty low bar but at this point the Steelers give me very little confidence that they even know they're in an emergency let alone how to get out of it.
Wow. This is not only true but substitute Pitt and Narduzzi and Cignetti in your passage, and it exactly fits us as well

Does a healthy Ben light this offense up?
Ben had a better knack to absorb punishment of a bad line, as well as get a pass off amid turbulence, then the three turkeys we have now. He IS a HOF QB after all.

He might well have also backpedaled into the rusher, just like the Pickett detractors are pleasuring themselves watching the vid over (and over and over … Yes … OH GOD YES). But Ben likely shrugs that guy off and still makes the play.

Can’t know for sure -
Rooney needs Omar to do his job
I’d rather Tomlin makes staff changes and stays to be honest
But his coordinators suck , yes including Austin who has escaped criticism for too long .
Flores propped him up last year
Omar may be just another lazy hire,Did he have any GM experience.Basically two 1st round picks that can’t get on the field.

Ben had a better knack to absorb punishment of a bad line, as well as get a pass off amid turbulence, then the three turkeys we have now. He IS a HOF QB after all.

He might well have also backpedaled into the rusher, just like the Pickett detractors are pleasuring themselves watching the vid over (and over and over … Yes … OH GOD YES). But Ben likely shrugs that guy off and still makes the play.
Ben is also 30 pounds heavier and 2 inches taller than Kenny.

He's like one of these old school morons, like Rooney himself, no need to do Xs & Os, no need for fancy schemes, just "work hard and practice more" then we'll just execute the fundamentals better, and we'll let you know what's coming and dare you to stop us. then they'll get the usual, their asses handed to them :)

Last edited:
Omar may be just another lazy hire,Did he have any GM experience.Basically two 1st round picks that can’t get on the field.
A lot of people like to make fun of WVU being INBREDS, but the Steelers are the best example of being INBRED as an organization, always hire from within or a former employee or native Yinzer "local guy" never look for fresh outside ideas.

There is not much separation among the 3 QBS .Do you think Mitch was given a fair shot.He’s played no worse in his 1st four games last year than Kenny has played this year.Kenny’s had the benefit of all first team reps for a full off season and 17 games.

It doesn't matter who is the QB as long as they're running Matt Canada's offense. He simply is over matched at the NFL level. Every defense is ready for everything the Steelers do. The predictability of running play X out of formation Y on a given down and distance doom the offense. Give Mike McDaniel or Kyle Shannihan this offense and it looks completely different.

There is not much separation among the 3 QBS .Do you think Mitch was given a fair shot.He’s played no worse in his 1st four games last year than Kenny has played this year.Kenny’s had the benefit of all first team reps for a full off season and 17 games.

Mitch got about 50 games before coming to the Steelers and then got all of the 1st team work and the starter's gig for us and then proceeded to play the same as a low ceiling rookie so yeah I think he was given a fair shot.

It doesn't matter who is the QB as long as they're running Matt Canada's offense. He simply is over matched at the NFL level. Every defense is ready for everything the Steelers do. The predictability of running play X out of formation Y on a given down and distance doom the offense. Give Mike McDaniel or Kyle Shannihan this offense and it looks completely different.

Something I thought about recently:

Kyle Shanahan has been a HC for 6 years and 3, arguably 4, of his former coordinators are head coaches.

Mike Tomlin has been a coach for about 15 years and have any of his former coordinators ever become a head coach?

I think the pilot George and Jerry pitched to NBC is what happened here. I think Tomlin backed into Canada's car at the practice facility one day. But instead of agreeing to become his butler, he agreed to give him the OC job someday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT