ADVERTISEMENT

10 year anniversary of PSU scandal

Apr 26, 2012
Hard to believe that its been 10 years since Sandusky was arrested for child abuse, and the grand jury presentment with Paterno's damning statement about being told about Sandusky's actions.
In a few days, it will also be the 10 year anniversary of Cook's "Let the healing begin statement."

What was fascinating to me about the whole thing was the way the extreme Paterno defenders were willing to throw Paterno's intelligence under the bus to defend his moral integrity, publicly, and apparently, in their own minds. If you're younger and don't remember, for years (decades), PSU fans would wax on and on about how Paterno was SO MUCH MORE than a football coach. He was a highly educated, Ivy League graduate, who loved to read the classics. Huge contibutor to the university library, adamant that his players understood the value of an education, and interested in the issues of the day including politics (he spoke at Bush's nominating convention).

Then, when the scandal broke and Paterno's own words confirmed he been told about Sandusky, these fans parsed his words to argue that while he was told, he didn't understand what he was told because....he was just-a-football-coach. Other than football, Joe didn't know nuttin' bout nuttin'. He was the only adult in America that never heard of men preying on boys, offering up a stupid argument about how he grew up in a different time, and they didn't know about these sorta things. John McCain called BS on that by the way, because it was insulting to that whole generation...they knew then when they were young, and oh btw, if even they hadn't, they weren't living in a cave for the past 50 years and would've learned about it as everyone younger had.

The cleaner and simple way to defend Paterno would've been to say that Joe should've come forward but didn't, but that many others didn't either, in this and in many other similar incidents. Coming forward was not common then, and while he should've, he was far from alone.
But, since they had elevated Paterno to a perfect godlike icon, admitting any moral failure/shortcoming was unthinkable. So they defended him by reducing him to being the village idiot.

I never followed it and my sister in law rep PSU suing the insurance company. No inside information. What I will say is people must have known. He didn’t get the UVa job and would never work in college football again What a dumpster fire.

I grew up 25 minutes from ups and was brought up that nothing happened at ups without Joe knowing about. Even by Joes admissions, the local police would call him at all hours to take care of his football players who got in trouble. The fans bragged about this and Joe was an icon, a living saint. Then when the Sandusky scandal hit, all of a sudden joe became an ordinary football coach. He had no idea of the years, decades of abuse... none. Bullshit. I am convinced he heard the rumors but elected not to believe.

And don't forget the Pitt Johnstown Tripoli being fired by UPS for asking questions.

UPS has been a cesspool for covering up travesties being done to minors. They should have leveled that building where the rapes occurred, rebuilt, owned the shame and become the national if not world leader in fighting ped abuse. Instead they did their best in sweeping the past under the rug and all is forgotten.

The grand and proud white outs continue. Jopa statue will be back in the next ten years.

Shame.

I grew up 25 minutes from ups and was brought up that nothing happened at ups without Joe knowing about. Even by Joes admissions, the local police would call him at all hours to take care of his football players who got in trouble. The fans bragged about this and Joe was an icon, a living saint. Then when the Sandusky scandal hit, all of a sudden joe became an ordinary football coach. He had no idea of the years, decades of abuse... none. Bullshit. I am convinced he heard the rumors but elected not to believe.

And don't forget the Pitt Johnstown Tripoli being fired by UPS for asking questions.

UPS has been a cesspool for covering up travesties being done to minors. They should have leveled that building where the rapes occurred, rebuilt, owned the shame and become the national if not world leader in fighting ped abuse. Instead they did their best in sweeping the past under the rug and all is forgotten.

The grand and proud white outs continue. Jopa statue will be back in the next ten years.

Shame.
I am not defending him but is the comparison of a college football player getting into a fight the same as learning an ex coach is a know pedophile. My big question was why was Sandusky ever permitted back to the campus?

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
I still say Paterno is living in Brazil and spends his day at the beach in Rio.

Followed the ups pervert situation closely but never heard or read anything about.
Pitt Johnstown Tripoli being fired by UPS for asking questions.
can anyone shed some light on this?

Shame.
I am not defending him but is the comparison of a college football player getting into a fight the same as learning an ex coach is a know pedophile. My big question was why was Sandusky ever permitted

I am not defending him but is the comparison of a college football player getting into a fight the same as learning an ex coach is a know pedophile. My big question was why was Sandusky ever permitted
The protection of a coach and program they thought was more important than the lives of innocent young boys.

Hard to believe that its been 10 years since Sandusky was arrested for child abuse, and the grand jury presentment with Paterno's damning statement about being told about Sandusky's actions.
In a few days, it will also be the 10 year anniversary of Cook's "Let the healing begin statement."

What was fascinating to me about the whole thing was the way the extreme Paterno defenders were willing to throw Paterno's intelligence under the bus to defend his moral integrity, publicly, and apparently, in their own minds. If you're younger and don't remember, for years (decades), PSU fans would wax on and on about how Paterno was SO MUCH MORE than a football coach. He was a highly educated, Ivy League graduate, who loved to read the classics. Huge contibutor to the university library, adamant that his players understood the value of an education, and interested in the issues of the day including politics (he spoke at Bush's nominating convention).

Then, when the scandal broke and Paterno's own words confirmed he been told about Sandusky, these fans parsed his words to argue that while he was told, he didn't understand what he was told because....he was just-a-football-coach. Other than football, Joe didn't know nuttin' bout nuttin'. He was the only adult in America that never heard of men preying on boys, offering up a stupid argument about how he grew up in a different time, and they didn't know about these sorta things. John McCain called BS on that by the way, because it was insulting to that whole generation...they knew then when they were young, and oh btw, if even they hadn't, they weren't living in a cave for the past 50 years and would've learned about it as everyone younger had.

The cleaner and simple way to defend Paterno would've been to say that Joe should've come forward but didn't, but that many others didn't either, in this and in many other similar incidents. Coming forward was not common then, and while he should've, he was far from alone.
But, since they had elevated Paterno to a perfect godlike icon, admitting any moral failure/shortcoming was unthinkable. So they defended him by reducing him to being the village idiot.
What you apparently do not know about the law! “Unless you have first hand knowledge, actually witnessed the crime, you can be sued for making a hearsay statement.” Joe found that out the hard way several years before when he called the authorities and reported what he was told about Sandusky. When Sandusky was separated from his coaching job, Joe did not want him around the facilities and was told by the Administration that he had lifetime privileges. Try and know the facts before you throw stones .

I am not defending him but is the comparison of a college football player getting into a fight the same as learning an ex coach is a know pedophile.

I agree. Until the mid to late 70s there was no way for Paterno to know what Sandusky was up to. Once he found out about it though the situations became completely different.

It turns out "The Grand Experiment" was seeing how long ghastly secrets could stay secret. Success with honor. What a joke.

Where is Mike McQueary these days?

What you apparently do not know about the law! “Unless you have first hand knowledge, actually witnessed the crime, you can be sued for making a hearsay statement.” Joe found that out the hard way several years before when he called the authorities and reported what he was told about Sandusky. When Sandusky was separated from his coaching job, Joe did not want him around the facilities and was told by the Administration that he had lifetime privileges. Try and know the facts before you throw stones .
Privileges are just that, and can be taken away. If you care to do that, of course.

Reactions: caleco's and TFBaum
I have never really commented on that story but;

1. Paterno is a piece of garbage. He knew what happened and could have stopped it. Yet he didn’t.
2. The attitude at PSU among the fans and alumni is disgusting. Too many are more concerned with winning football games and protecting Paterno’s legacy than with protecting innocent kids from a predator. Not ALL fans and alumni, but more than there should be. There are bigger things in this world than winning a football game.
3. This might be an unpopular opinion here, but the PSU program took their lumps from it and the current coaches and players shouldn’t have to suffer from it. Sure they agreed to play there but they weren’t part of the scandal.

Reactions: JokePa

I have said before that if this happened now, they'd get the death penalty or at least a TV ban (which means they couldn't recruit anyone over FCS level). Just seems with everything that has gone on since then, this would seem even more tragic and egregious. It was really the first scandal like it of its time and benefitted from that. I also think the PSU alum group which pressured the NCAA to relieve sanctions may not have been as vocal and would have been dismissed as "conspiracy theorists" or enablers.

This is a new one on me. You guys really come at this revisionist crap a bunch of different ways, don't you? You cannot be sued for reporting something to the police that isn't firsthand knowledge. Worst case, you get charged with making false reports but that has to be proven, as well. The police couldn't put a case together because they didn't think the kid's case they investigated had enough legs to run with. You can view that in whatever light you want. The administration kept Sandusky around because the Second Mile stuff was important to a lot of people despite literally everyone's reservations about ole Jerry. It's as simple as that.

There is an active thread on their BWI free board right now with people claiming Sandusky was 100% innocent and was framed.

What a surprise. Heck nitwit Paul Alexander had that whacko John Zieglar on the Fan pushing his conspiracy theories that he was innocent.

It's funny these crazies have all sorts of wonderful, full proof theories, but when it comes time to present evidence in court it is crickets. Someone (who isn't banned, lol) should post that Sandusky isn't getting any younger so they should file some motions and present their evidence sooner rather than later.

What a surprise. Heck nitwit Paul Alexander had that whacko John Zieglar on the Fan pushing his conspiracy theories that he was innocent.

It's funny these crazies have all sorts of wonderful, full proof theories, but when it comes time to present evidence in court it is crickets. Someone (who isn't banned, lol) should post that Sandusky isn't getting any younger so they should file some motions and present their evidence sooner rather than later.
Of course. Because......that is the ONLY way to truly absolve Paterno. People will believe anything, look at those idiots in Dallas gathering the past weekend thinking Donnie Trump was going to fly in with JFK Jr and return to the White House as Pres/VP. And people actually gathered and believed this. People, in many cases, have no real care about truth. Just what fits their beliefs.

Enabler U put Bradley in charge when they fired Jokepa and he testified that he did witness the tickle monster in the shower with a young boy doing "things". They have zero integrity up there!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT