ADVERTISEMENT

A former player update

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Damon Wilson--

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/131414/

I don't even know what to say. I have some insight on midmajors like Georgia St and what kind of athletes succeed there...and it shocks me that a fairly highly recruited player like Damon isn't producing there. He's played in every game and has 0 field goals on the year.

This is not meant as a knock on Jamie. We thought Wilson was a good get at the time. I guess one can question the talent evaluation, but he was a good player from a good HS program that had good recruiting rankings. But we saw with our own eyes that he's not an ACC level point guard and he's not an ACC level SG. Which made me think he would thrive at a mid major like Georgia St.

What this is meant for is to show another example for the guys unfairly busting on KS for running kids out of the program, that KS came in and saw that many of these guys are not ACC players. His first year here wasn't perfect by any stretch, but no one can fault him for the purge.

Reactions: Jim Z
Can’t believe the shot doctor didn’t help him
Oh yes. Blame Stallings. The kid is averaging less than 7 minutes per game at GEORGIA ST. That indicates that it's more than just his shooting.

What replies and posts like yours shows is that KS is not our problem. Our biggest problem is us...a fan base with lots of Soufs in it.

Oh yes. Blame Stallings. The kid is averaging less than 7 minutes per game at GEORGIA ST. That indicates that it's more than just his shooting.

What replies and posts like yours shows is that KS is not our problem. Our biggest problem is us...a fan base with lots of Soufs in it.

He's not even playing this year --- he has to sit out a year as a transfer.

The stats you are looking at are the last ten games with the Panthers last year.

Last edited:

The stats you are looking at are the last ten games with the Panthers last year.
Ahhh. Epic fail. I can accept it. My bad. Cue the haters.

"Haters" coming from the guy starting a thread to dump on a player who isn't even active on a roster...
The larger point still remains. Our fan base is filled with unreasonable people. So the player had 0 field goals over the final 3rd of last year's season and our "fans" bust on Stallings for sending players like him to places where he hopefully can succeed. The sun belt is not that bad of a league. It's far from the ACC but it will be interesting to see how he does there.

Ahhh. Epic fail. I can accept it. My bad. Cue the haters.

LOL

I suspect Damon will do pretty well at Ga State. He transferred there because he's originally from Atlanta. For whatever reason, he just wasn't a good mix with Stallings. He probably would not have developed into an ACC starter even if he was.

Ga State is a pretty decent team this year -- they've been ranked around #100 in Pomeroy so they are about as good as Towson. They lost to Towson by three, but also beat Montana.

LOL

I suspect Damon will do pretty well at Ga State. He transferred there because he's originally from Atlanta. For whatever reason, he just wasn't a good mix with Stallings. He probably would not have developed into an ACC starter even if he was.

Ga State is a pretty decent team this year -- they've been ranked around #100 in Pomeroy so they are about as good as Towson. They lost to Towson by three, but also beat Montana.
Which is why I said that I didn't know what to say and that I was surprised by my false perception.

He's a tweener. My daughter is a tweener. So I get it. I understand it. She certainly could have played at a P5 school. Like Damon. But shes excelling at a mid major and I would expect wilson too will do well. But based on what we saw out of Damon here, if he's in a prominent role, it likely means our team isn't very strong.

Our fan base is filled with unreasonable people. So the player had 0 field goals over the final 3rd of last year's season and our "fans" bust on Stallings for sending players like him to places where he hopefully can succeed.

I busted on Stallings for keeping him in the first place. There is a reason he was leaving Dixon's roster.

I think Damon may do pretty well at Georgia State ..... he seemed like a good kid just not an ACC caliber player.

I think Damon may do pretty well at Georgia State ..... he seemed like a good kid just not an ACC caliber player.
I would think so. His shooting, even after playing for the shot doctor, leaves a lot to be desired. And his penetration here was erratic and out of control. But a step or two down to the sun belt should help. After sitting out a year, he should be a seasoned vet.
There's a reason why 5'5" PGs can win conference player of the year playing at mid major. A 6'5" guy like Damon can really succeed.

Wilson is one of the stranger cases that I can remember. As a freshman he showed legitimate talent and was quite good in non-conference games before becoming a little bit more hit or miss in conference. But even then he still had good outings with solid minutes against teams like UNC and Virginia so it's not like he couldn't play. In fact, his number one statistical comp was Brad Wanamaker and that guy turned out just fine.

The thing is though, Dixon just sort of stopped playing him after Valentine's Day for some reason or another. He went from getting 15 minutes a night or so to sometimes not seeing the court at all. Which is a little bit weird even though most of those minutes started going to the very deserving Cam Johnson.

That, of course, led into last year where it seemed as though Damon legitimately forgot how to play basketball. The shooting woes are well documented but even stranger was that he went from an Ast% of 23.0% to 8.6% while his turnovers spiked from 20.0% to 26.4%. It is one of the worst statistical seasons overall that I have in my database and I have him down for -0.9 win shares on a team that won 16 games, something that is very, very tough to do.

In spite of all of that though I still expect him to do well at Georgia State. He's back home, playing for a very good coach with a good chance to start on a team that projects to be one of the best mid-majors in the country next season. There was just something with Stallings and Wilson that just didn't mix at all.

Wilson is one of the stranger cases that I can remember. As a freshman he showed legitimate talent and was quite good in non-conference games before becoming a little bit more hit or miss in conference. But even then he still had good outings with solid minutes against teams like UNC and Virginia so it's not like he couldn't play. In fact, his number one statistical comp was Brad Wanamaker and that guy turned out just fine.

The thing is though, Dixon just sort of stopped playing him after Valentine's Day for some reason or another. He went from getting 15 minutes a night or so to sometimes not seeing the court at all. Which is a little bit weird even though most of those minutes started going to the very deserving Cam Johnson.

That, of course, led into last year where it seemed as though Damon legitimately forgot how to play basketball. The shooting woes are well documented but even stranger was that he went from an Ast% of 23.0% to 8.6% while his turnovers spiked from 20.0% to 26.4%. It is one of the worst statistical seasons overall that I have in my database and I have him down for -0.9 win shares on a team that won 16 games, something that is very, very tough to do.

In spite of all of that though I still expect him to do well at Georgia State. He's back home, playing for a very good coach with a good chance to start on a team that projects to be one of the best mid-majors in the country next season. There was just something with Stallings and Wilson that just didn't mix at all.
with Stallings, could it be as simple as him expecting his guards to be good shooters? I don't ever see Wilson being a good shooter.

It's funny that you mentioned Brad. Brad was a lightening rod on these boards, but proudly I was one of the firsts on the Wannamaker band wagon. When people here were ragging on him, the guy was filling the stat sheet in different ways. Anyway, Wanamaker sometimes came to mind when I thought of Wilson. Wanamaker was a better shooter, but both were wild and out of control driving the lane. Bradley improved significantly in that area and maybe Wilson can.

LOL. Jumping to conclusions can cause embarrassment. Some posters acknowledge their mistakes.

Always. Will the guys who said Cam Johnson would never start or get playing time at Carolina admit their massive mistake?

I don't know who they are.

I think the fact that he seemingly has the green light from good ol Roy to shuck it up as often as he wants shows that it was the right move for Cam. But who could fault Cam anyway? Who wants to be part of a complete rebuild at a place like Pitt when you know you have great options?

Damon Wilson--

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/131414/

I don't even know what to say. I have some insight on midmajors like Georgia St and what kind of athletes succeed there...and it shocks me that a fairly highly recruited player like Damon isn't producing there. He's played in every game and has 0 field goals on the year.

This is not meant as a knock on Jamie. We thought Wilson was a good get at the time. I guess one can question the talent evaluation, but he was a good player from a good HS program that had good recruiting rankings. But we saw with our own eyes that he's not an ACC level point guard and he's not an ACC level SG. Which made me think he would thrive at a mid major like Georgia St.

What this is meant for is to show another example for the guys unfairly busting on KS for running kids out of the program, that KS came in and saw that many of these guys are not ACC players. His first year here wasn't perfect by any stretch, but no one can fault him for the purge.
Wilson is sitting out due to NCAA's transfer rules.

I wonder if some of you guys realize that if we were playing Georgia State on a neutral court later on today that we would be the underdogs?

I wonder if some of you guys realize that if we were playing Georgia State on a neutral court later on today that we would be the underdogs?

Agreed, and this isn’t exactly a great Georgia St team. Probably similar to or not as good as last years edition.

Yeah, I mean they aren't great by any stretch of the imagination. But they were good enough to beat Montana!
Considering we were a 5pt dog at home to Towson, I'm not sure it would surprise anyone.

I don't know who they are.

I think the fact that he seemingly has the green light from good ol Roy to shuck it up as often as he wants shows that it was the right move for Cam. But who could fault Cam anyway? Who wants to be part of a complete rebuild at a place like Pitt when you know you have great options?
And fans dig up bad info on former teammates to throw bricks at Dixon....while chiding anyone who dislikes Stallings. Who knows, maybe we have GA State fans around. here. Perhaps Mr.Jjohnson saw enough of Kevin and the Bobsey Twins to know he wanted out, since Kevin opted to do nothing his first year on the job.

Reactions: billyberoux
And fans dig up bad info on former teammates to throw bricks at Dixon....while chiding anyone who dislikes Stallings. Who knows, maybe we have GA State fans around. here. Perhaps Mr.Jjohnson saw enough of Kevin and the Bobsey Twins to know he wanted out, since Kevin opted to do nothing his first year on the job.
There's one guy who immediately comes to mind who is throwing some very heavy bricks Dixons way. But the truth is, you and I have agreed on most things over the past 15 years, but my OP was directed at folks like you who knock KS for the purge. You can blame KS for some things. You say he took his first year off. You have some arguments you can make. But purging the hideous roster isn't one of them. Damon Wilson doesn't help us contend for anything, and I'm glad his minutes are going to guys who can only get better and help us next year and the year after.

Reactions: TreesHero
There's one guy who immediately comes to mind who is throwing some very heavy bricks Dixons way. But the truth is, you and I have agreed on most things over the past 15 years, but my OP was directed at folks like you who knock KS for the purge. You can blame KS for some things. You say he took his first year off. You have some arguments you can make. But purging the hideous roster isn't one of them. Damon Wilson doesn't help us contend for anything, and I'm glad his minutes are going to guys who can only get better and help us next year and the year after.
So we should move on, forget about Dixon? No one KNOWS what the roster would be like if Dixon stayed here. It's UNknowable. We do know that KS was comfortable enough to stand pat with Dixon's recruits...then ignore them. How's Rozelle Nix doing? Epps?? John Johnson? Aaron Thompson??

So we should move on, forget about Dixon? No one KNOWS what the roster would be like if Dixon stayed here. It's UNknowable. We do know that KS was comfortable enough to stand pat with Dixon's recruits...then ignore them. How's Rozelle Nix doing? Epps?? John Johnson? Aaron Thompson??
I think we should move on. Everything that happened last year and over Dixons last few years should never be discussed again. Clean slate. How about a New Years resolution? We judge Stallings solely based on what he does moving forward? The program bottomed out. Let's judge the job he does as he attempts to resurrect it. What do you say?

I think we should move on. Everything that happened last year and over Dixons last few years should never be discussed again. Clean slate. How about a New Years resolution? We judge Stallings solely based on what he does moving forward? The program bottomed out. Let's judge the job he does as he attempts to resurrect it. What do you say?

Post of the year.

Agreed. Water under the bridge, and the only thing that matters is what Stalling does moving forward. So far, he seems to be doing a nice job with rebuilding a team from scratch.

"I think we should move on," says the gentleman who started a misinformed thread defaming a former player, and this statement comes WITHIN that same thread. Sorry, but I just have to celebrate the irony here for a moment. The sad truth is that we haven't moved on and these backward-looking disputes will probably carry on long into the future.

Reactions: levance2
"I think we should move on," says the gentleman who started a misinformed thread defaming a former player, and this statement comes WITHIN that same thread. Sorry, but I just have to celebrate the irony here for a moment. The sad truth is that we haven't moved on and these backward-looking disputes will probably carry on long into the future.
Posters here just in the last 24 hours are still bashing Stallings for purging the roster. That's ridiculous. My OP was in response to that albeit. erroneous. I owned up to it. But the original point should remain.

Threads evolve. A poster asked that we should move on. I oblige. And you can go away.

Can’t believe the shot doctor didn’t help him
Just another quintessential Dixon guard ... a complete embarrassment to the game of BB. Dixon's guards, a long list of slow, unathletic bricklayers, qualities representing the Dixon prototype guard.

I'm in.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Considering we were a 5pt dog at home to Towson, I'm not sure it would surprise anyone.

I'm guessing it would to the people who continue to say things like he's better off having transferred to a lower level program. Several of the guys who transferred actually ended up with teams that are better than us. I mean we all hope that they won't be better than us in the future, but if Wilson ends up being good enough to play for Georgia State (and that remains to be seen) then he is, by definition, good enough to play for us. Because right now they are better than us.

I'm guessing it would to the people who continue to say things like he's better off having transferred to a lower level program. Several of the guys who transferred actually ended up with teams that are better than us. I mean we all hope that they won't be better than us in the future, but if Wilson ends up being good enough to play for Georgia State (and that remains to be seen) then he is, by definition, good enough to play for us. Because right now they are better than us.
Other than Johnson not a single one of the dogs who were Dixon players and transferred went to better programs than Pitt. Take another head count.. your strength

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT