ADVERTISEMENT

A former player update

with Stallings, could it be as simple as him expecting his guards to be good shooters? I don't ever see Wilson being a good shooter.

It's funny that you mentioned Brad. Brad was a lightening rod on these boards, but proudly I was one of the firsts on the Wannamaker band wagon. When people here were ragging on him, the guy was filling the stat sheet in different ways. Anyway, Wanamaker sometimes came to mind when I thought of Wilson. Wanamaker was a better shooter, but both were wild and out of control driving the lane. Bradley improved significantly in that area and maybe Wilson can.
I loved Wanny from the moment he was recruited. He started out slowly, but I never gave up hope and he became one helluva player for us. 10 years ago we developed players because he had guys that had already produced and were experienced and that allowed guys like Brad to work their way in gradually. Damon may have been able to have a similar arc if given the time. However, Jamie started to stray from the type of guys he was bringing in, we would not have many guys who would stay here and grow and then guys like Damon had to jump in earlier than expected. Ultimately I believe Dixon started trying to find players who had more talent instead of more heart and that caused our downfall. We had too many guys who weren't happy and wanted immediate playing time and that caused our loss of linkage.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm guessing it would to the people who continue to say things like he's better off having transferred to a lower level program. Several of the guys who transferred actually ended up with teams that are better than us. I mean we all hope that they won't be better than us in the future, but if Wilson ends up being good enough to play for Georgia State (and that remains to be seen) then he is, by definition, good enough to play for us. Because right now they are better than us.

At least we haven’t had any recent threads about how well Newkirk is supposedly doing at Indiana.

Other than Johnson not a single one of the dogs who were Dixon players and transferred went to better programs than Pitt. Take another head count.. your strength

If you don't think that Georgia State is better than us right now then you are simply once again revealing your ignorance. The thing that is so odd about it is that you are probably the only person I've ever seen who actually revels in the fact that you don't know things.

Whomever came up with the saying "ignorance is bliss" may not have had you in mind, but you certainly are the poster boy for the saying.

If you don't think that Georgia State is better than us right now then you are simply once again revealing your ignorance. The thing that is so odd about it is that you are probably the only person I've ever seen who actually revels in the fact that you don't know things.

Whomever came up with the saying "ignorance is bliss" may not have had you in mind, but you certainly are the poster boy for the saying.
Head count? Georgia State....

I don't get what your point is, Joe. I will take your word for it that Georgia St is a better team right now. But better program? There's a difference. Come on.

What distinguishes our program right now?
Conference affiliation?

Any link to past successes are gonzo.

Earth to Souf---

Past successes?? I used to be proud of the fact that we were right there with Duke, Kansas and Gonzaga by certain metrics for a long period of time. I used to post about it in the Lair often. We were a top 4 program in wins this century. That's elite company to keep and I liked to think that under Dixon we were elite right with those other programs. But it's been almost 7 years since that time and recruits in HS were in grade school then. So it's ancient history and in this day and age might as well never exist.

Dixon was able to mask the flaws of our program for a large chunk of his time here. But the college basketball world knows who we are. They've known for a long time. But for all of our flaws, we are still better than Georgia St for goodness sakes. For how small our fan base is, it's still significantly bigger than Georgia St. And yes, we are an ACC program with a top notch facility that's not so young anymore...but Dixon and Stallings have both made sure that the AD keeps the team facilities fresh and at an ACC level. What's Georgia st's recruiting budget? What's the budget of their program?? What does Georgia St get from the Sun Belts tv package?

Compare this team to Georgia St. that's fair. Comparing this program to Georgia St, or Wake Forest's program to Georgia St for that matter, is asenine.

I can't even believe this is a subject on this board.

I loved Wanny from the moment he was recruited. He started out slowly, but I never gave up hope and he became one helluva player for us. 10 years ago we developed players because he had guys that had already produced and were experienced and that allowed guys like Brad to work their way in gradually. Damon may have been able to have a similar arc if given the time. However, Jamie started to stray from the type of guys he was bringing in, we would not have many guys who would stay here and grow and then guys like Damon had to jump in earlier than expected. Ultimately I believe Dixon started trying to find players who had more talent instead of more heart and that caused our downfall. We had too many guys who weren't happy and wanted immediate playing time and that caused our loss of linkage.
Too many small forwards playing way out of position. Just because you play PG in high school doesn’t mean you can in the ACC. Ethan Morton will be the next example.

Which is why I said that I didn't know what to say and that I was surprised by my false perception.

He's a tweener. My daughter is a tweener. So I get it. I understand it. She certainly could have played at a P5 school. Like Damon. But shes excelling at a mid major and I would expect wilson too will do well. But based on what we saw out of Damon here, if he's in a prominent role, it likely means our team isn't very strong.
What does your daughter play? I thought soccer, not hoops, right?

Posters here just in the last 24 hours are still bashing Stallings for purging the roster. That's ridiculous. My OP was in response to that albeit. erroneous. I owned up to it. But the original point should remain.

Threads evolve. A poster asked that we should move on. I oblige. And you can go away.

Too many small forwards playing way out of position. Just because you play PG in high school doesn’t mean you can in the ACC. Ethan Morton will be the next example.
I saw Ethan Morton play last week. He is just a sophomore and he is 6'5" legitimately. The kid has a really quick first step. PR, Even tho they have no D1 BB players, they are good, and yet he was able to get to the rim and finish continually. His handle is really really good for a 10th grader.

He also gets extreme elevation on his jumper. He is almost automatic from the elbow. His form is really good, but, he was off from three point land in this game. Had he been hitting 3's he would have hung 50 on PR. He is an elite talent, hopefully he does not grow much more. I would be worried it could jeopardize that ball handling.

In any event, Morton most certainly will be a 2 at the next level. I would love him to stay home and play for the university of Pittsburgh. That said there will be many big schools sniffing around Butler, should he continue on the trajectory he is on.

Last edited:
I don't get what your point is, Joe. I will take your word for it that Georgia St is a better team right now. But better program? There's a difference. Come on.

It really isn't that hard to understand. I mean I get why Del can't figure it out, but I wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem for most. But here, let me spell it out, using small words so as to not confuse Del.

Right now, Georgia State is a better basketball team than Pitt. If (and as I said before, we still don't know for sure) Wilson is good enough to play for Georgia State then by definition he is good enough to play for Pitt. Because they are better than us. If we were playing them today they would be favored. Because they are better. The notion that some people have that Georgia State is the "right level" for Wilson but that he couldn't play for Pitt is absurd, because right now Georgia State is on a higher level than we are.

As I said, we all hope that someday Pitt is better. There may be a time when Georgia State is, in fact, a level below us. But that time certainly is not now. Most people who understand college basketball get that, which is why they would be favored over us if we were playing today. Someone like Del struggles with that, because he doesn't understand college basketball pretty much at all. But for people who pay attention this really isn't hard to figure out.

Threads evolve. A poster asked that we should move on. I oblige. And you can go away.

Usually the trajectory of a thread is more in the way of devolution. But I will grant you that this one evolved. And I'll try to keep up with your changing declarations on when it is acceptable to dwell on the past when it is time to move on.

Damon Wilson--

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/131414/

I don't even know what to say. I have some insight on midmajors like Georgia St and what kind of athletes succeed there...and it shocks me that a fairly highly recruited player like Damon isn't producing there. He's played in every game and has 0 field goals on the year.

This is not meant as a knock on Jamie. We thought Wilson was a good get at the time. I guess one can question the talent evaluation, but he was a good player from a good HS program that had good recruiting rankings. But we saw with our own eyes that he's not an ACC level point guard and he's not an ACC level SG. Which made me think he would thrive at a mid major like Georgia St.

What this is meant for is to show another example for the guys unfairly busting on KS for running kids out of the program, that KS came in and saw that many of these guys are not ACC players. His first year here wasn't perfect by any stretch, but no one can fault him for the purge.
He started against Duquesne last year and crapped the bed. What does that tell you!

It really isn't that hard to understand. I mean I get why Del can't figure it out, but I wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem for most. But here, let me spell it out, using small words so as to not confuse Del.

Right now, Georgia State is a better basketball team than Pitt. If (and as I said before, we still don't know for sure) Wilson is good enough to play for Georgia State then by definition he is good enough to play for Pitt. Because they are better than us. If we were playing them today they would be favored. Because they are better. The notion that some people have that Georgia State is the "right level" for Wilson but that he couldn't play for Pitt is absurd, because right now Georgia State is on a higher level than we are.

As I said, we all hope that someday Pitt is better. There may be a time when Georgia State is, in fact, a level below us. But that time certainly is not now. Most people who understand college basketball get that, which is why they would be favored over us if we were playing today. Someone like Del struggles with that, because he doesn't understand college basketball pretty much at all. But for people who pay attention this really isn't hard to figure out.
I could care less that today Georgia State has a better team due to the fact that Dixon destroyed Pitt's current squad with lousy recruiting. Georgia State is GARBAGE and anyone suggesting that any player worth a damn would select Georgia State over any any ACC school is a dimwit. Stick to head counts! Wilson was horrible and that's why he is at a school like Georgia St. If you don't recognize that, then you never watched him play.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
I could care less that today Georgia State has a better team due to the fact that Dixon destroyed Pitt's current squad with lousy recruiting. Georgia State is GARBAGE and anyone suggesting that any player worth a damn would select Georgia State over any any ACC school is a dimwit. Stick to head counts! Wilson was horrible and that's why he is at a school like Georgia St. If you don't recognize that, then you never watched him play.
It has to be one of the worst arguments in the history of this board. No one here actually believes that Georgia St is a better program. Souf might continue to argue it. But that's what Souf does.

Georgia State is better than Pitt right now. The fact that some of you are so invested in denying the facts doesn't mean you are right, it means you are in denial. There isn't anyone getting regular minutes at Georgia State right now who would not be getting regular minutes at Pitt. There are guys that we are playing at least semi-regularly who would almost certainly never see the floor this year at Georgia State.

Like I said, we all hope that changes in the future. But the fact that you guys are so afraid to admit where we are right now is kind of funny. Or sad. Or perhaps both.

It has to be one of the worst arguments in the history of this board. No one here actually believes that Georgia St is a better program. Souf might continue to argue it. But that's what Souf does.
None of these guys have any credibility...this nonsense over and over....

Georgia State is better than Pitt right now. The fact that some of you are so invested in denying the facts doesn't mean you are right, it means you are in denial. There isn't anyone getting regular minutes at Georgia State right now who would not be getting regular minutes at Pitt. There are guys that we are playing at least semi-regularly who would almost certainly never see the floor this year at Georgia State

Like I said, we all hope that changes in the future. But the fact that you guys are so afraid to admit where we are right now is kind of funny. Or sad. Or perhaps both.
I’d like to point out that you constantly seem to forget the current makeup of Pitts roster .This isn’t an ordinary yr at Pitt , it’s a total rebuild from the ground up without the help of some shoe company money , without the help of an active booster group , without the help of any significant returning players , without any local talent base from which to recruit from and without any positive buzz surrounding the program . I’d think most if not all D1 programs have better players on their rosters , they also have more physically mature players to go along with more experienced players .
This is a unique situation that I hope none of us ever get to see again , things will get better , but expecting a group of unheralded freshman to perform any different than they are now doing is silly .
Ps .. DWilson on this Pitt team might see minutes , but he wouldn’t improve the outlook for this team .

I’d like to point out that you constantly seem to forget the current makeup of Pitts roster .

Actually it's the fact that I know exactly the makeup of Pitt's roster that allows me to post what I have. It's you and the uniformed one who seem to keep forgetting, not me.

Actually it's the fact that I know exactly the makeup of Pitt's roster that allows me to post what I have. It's you and the uniformed one who seem to keep forgetting, not me.
Joe, unless I'm mistaken, you are saying that Georgia St is a better program, and that simply is not true. I believe earlier in the thread I told you that if you are saying they are a better team right now, I'll concede the point, even though it is debatable.

What is not debatable is that Pitt is a better program.

Then you need to stop with the constant bashing and complaining . Pitt is a bunch of freshman and their playing like you’d expect a bunch of freshman to play . They will be overmatched in every game that remains . They have a few pieces that if they develop will be a nice starting point for a decent team .
Stallings wasn’t hired to win the ACC or national championship , he was hired to run a clean program that can compete with the middle of the pack ACC teams . With a few pieces the next few yrs he’ll be there . That’s just the way it is , I grasp that reality do you ?

Then you need to stop with the constant bashing and complaining . Pitt is a bunch of freshman and their playing like you’d expect a bunch of freshman to play . They will be overmatched in every game that remains . They have a few pieces that if they develop will be a nice starting point for a decent team .

I've asked before, but I'll ask again. If you really think the way that you keep posting that you think, then why are you here? You keep posting, over and over and over and over, that none of this matters and that we basically shouldn't care what happens this year. So why do you spend so much time on something that you continue to desperately try to convince people that they shouldn't care about?

Reactions: levance2
I believe earlier in the thread I told you that if you are saying they are a better team right now, I'll concede the point, even though it is debatable.

I wonder how many times I have to say that they are better than us right now for it to sink in?

And it really isn't debatable. They are better than us now. If we were playing them today on a neutral court they'd be favored. Not by a lot, they certainly aren't some sort of great team. But the notion that right now someone can't play for Pitt because we are on some higher level but they could play at the level that Georgia State is on is silly, because right now their level is higher than ours.

I wonder how many times I have to say that they are better than us right now for it to sink in?

And it really isn't debatable. They are better than us now. If we were playing them today on a neutral court they'd be favored. Not by a lot, they certainly aren't some sort of great team. But the notion that right now someone can't play for Pitt because we are on some higher level but they could play at the level that Georgia State is on is silly, because right now their level is higher than ours.
The notion is that Wilson stunk and can't play for Pitt or anyone...something you refuse to acknowledge and keep double talking around...head count?

The notion is that Wilson stunk and can't play for Pitt or anyone...something you refuse to acknowledge and keep double talking around...head count?

Actually on more than one occasion in this thread alone I have said that it remains to be seen if Wilson will be able to even play for Georgia State, but I wouldn't expect someone with your mental acuity to actually remember that when trying to formulate an argument.

Just remember, it's this sort of post that has people laughing at you, not with you.

Ok. It's a miscommunication. You responded to a post by Del in which he referred to "programs" and then you said Georgia St was better (post #43).

All good.

Not even sure what people are arguing here. Is Georgia St the better basketball team this year? Definitely. Does Pitt have the better overall program? Of course they do.

Better recent NCAA tournament success? Neither, although Georgia St upset of #3 seed Baylor a couple years ago better than anything Pitt has done in the tournament in quite a while.

I've asked before, but I'll ask again. If you really think the way that you keep posting that you think, then why are you here? You keep posting, over and over and over and over, that none of this matters and that we basically shouldn't care what happens this year. So why do you spend so much time on something that you continue to desperately try to convince people that they shouldn't care about?
Once again you miss the entire point . This season isn’t about wins and loses . If your a fan who only watches when your team wins why are you here then ? There won’t be many more W’s this yr . This yr is about the process of building a foundation for the future . I like some of the pieces , but they need to improve and they need more pieces . Except for the haters I think most people on here realize that .
Winning one game is better than winning none and 2 is better than 1 , but do you really think it matters this yr ? What matters this season is that these players get better . What matters off the court this yr is that KS gets another 1 or 2 guys who can help next yr . Next yr what matters is that Carr and company get better and the new pieces come in and contribute . Yr three is when winning matters to me . Would I like it to be sooner , absolutely , but that’s not the way it is and firing KS will not speed up the process unless Pitt becomes an Addias school !

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Once again you miss the entire point . This season isn’t about wins and loses . If your a fan who only watches when your team wins why are you here then ? There won’t be many more W’s this yr . This yr is about the process of building a foundation for the future . I like some of the pieces , but they need to improve and they need more pieces . Except for the haters I think most people on here realize that .
Winning one game is better than winning none and 2 is better than 1 , but do you really think it matters this yr ? What matters this season is that these players get better . What matters off the court this yr is that KS gets another 1 or 2 guys who can help next yr . Next yr what matters is that Carr and company get better and the new pieces come in and contribute . Yr three is when winning matters to me . Would I like it to be sooner , absolutely , but that’s not the way it is and firing KS will not speed up the process unless Pitt becomes an Addias school !
Downfall of Pitt Hoops?

-Move to Nike School(away from Adidas)?
-Move to ACC?
-Lack of assistant coaches?
-none of the above?

All this happened before Barnes hired Stallings.

Stallings was hired to compete for the middle ground of the ACC? Geez, when was that announced? If that's true I'll not bother buying my tix next season. We better have higher aspirations than that.

Stallings was hired to compete for the middle ground of the ACC? Geez, when was that announced? If that's true I'll not bother buying my tix next season. We better have higher aspirations than that.
Do you hire KS to win the ACC ? Do you hire KS to win the NCAAs ?Would Duke or UNC hire KS as their next coach ?
Face reality Pitt only plays in the same league as those schools !

Do you hire KS to win the ACC ? Do you hire KS to win the NCAAs ?Would Duke or UNC hire KS as their next coach ?
Face reality Pitt only plays in the same league as those schools !

Duke and NC wouldn't make the same hire as almost any other school, try again.

Duke and NC wouldn't make the same hire as almost any other school, try again.
Louisville , Syracuse , Virginia , Kansas , Indiana , UCLA , Villanova ....etc any program that wants to win a national championship or P5 conference title . There’s nothing in his long resume that suggests he’s the coach you want to win big . He’s a honest coach who plays by the rules , but his teams don’t win championships .

Actually on more than one occasion in this thread alone I have said that it remains to be seen if Wilson will be able to even play for Georgia State, but I wouldn't expect someone with your mental acuity to actually remember that when trying to formulate an argument.

Just remember, it's this sort of post that has people laughing at you, not with you.
Quit dancing around the fact that you have both directly and indirectly indicated that Wilson shouldn't have been run off and that he would have been a productive contributor to Pitt this year..head count? ...which is all you're good for.....using your fingers, toes and an abacus. Georgia St? Laughable....no one takes you seriously.

Quit dancing around the fact that you have both directly and indirectly indicated that Wilson shouldn't have been run off and that he would have been a productive contributor to Pitt this year..head count? ...which is all you're good for.....using your fingers, toes and an abacus. Georgia St? Laughable....no one takes you seriously.
Check the original post. Those stats were from his last 10 or so games at Pitt. These guys yearn for that?

Check the original post. Those stats were from his last 10 or so games at Pitt. These guys yearn for that?
The same group of guys, including the guy we are debating here, have destroyed this board. I come over here less and less and regret doing so on the rare occasions I do review these threads. They'll stretch any point to throw stones at Stallings.

Once again you miss the entire point . This season isn’t about wins and loses . If your a fan who only watches when your team wins why are you here then ?

Because I'm not a fan who only watches his team when they win. But if you don't care about wins and losses at all, and indeed when you try to dissuade everyone from thinking about win and losses at all, then why are you paying attention? Sports is always about winning games. To quote the guy who is the goofiest hire in college football in a long time, you play to win the game. You seem to want to turn this season (and last season for that matter) into pee wee sports, where everyone gets a trophy for participating.

"Hey, don't worry that you didn't win any games, don't worry that your team stunk, here, have a trophy, that should make you feel better."

Unfortunately for you, the real world doesn't work that way.

Quit dancing around the fact that you have both directly and indirectly indicated that Wilson shouldn't have been run off and that he would have been a productive contributor to Pitt this year

I have done no such thing, but it's no surprise that someone as dumb as you can't see that.

And I know it pisses you off when I remind you, but they're laughing at you del, not with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT