ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Baseball Tournament Thread

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Since we are new to this cool event that apparently the ACC plays at the end of every baseball season (who knew?), I am posting a super in-depth analysis of the format, the ACC uses:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...heduling-college-ncaa-wake-forest-clemson-unc

4 pods of 3 teams. Each pod is a 2 game round-robin. The results of each pod can only be 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2 or everyone finishes at 1-1. If everyone finishes at 1-1, the top seed advances to the semifinals on Saturday.

This means that the only teams who can lose a game and advance are the top 4 seeds. I mean that seems fair and all but since the top 4 seeds do NOT play in the first 4 games, it means the tournament's first 4 games are elimination games but will still have another game to play. Now, for teams who are on the bubble, that exta game may have some importance even though there is no chance at advancing in the ACCT. For a team like Pitt, if we lose to GT, the team will know that the next game vs UNC is their final game of the season, making it nothing more than an exhibition game for us.

As for Pitt's chances itself, although I didn't really follow the team this year and I felt that we had better overall talent in some later Big East years and 1-2 ACC years when we didn't even make the ACCT, I am fairly excited about this tournament because given the random outcomes the sport of baseball produces, Pitt could easily beat a team it is fairly evenly matched with in GT and then play UNC for a spot in yhr the semifinals where they'd be 2 wins away from an NCAAT bid. Not that I think they will do that but its neat that a low seed like Pitt is 1 win away from being 3 wins away from a bid. In basketball, that would still be a nearly impossible task. But in baseball, chances are much much better for a team with lesser talent to win a few in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: paschuler1970
Thanks for the info. I was actually searching all over trying to figure out what the hell they did if everyone in a pod went 1-1. Honestly just advancing the top seed is probably the last thing I would've guessed.

runners on 1st and 2nd, none out for Pitt in top of 9th, GT changing pitchers. SAC bunt coming up maybe?

Anybody else not like this format? Whoever loses this game is automatically eliminated, but still has another game to play.

Seems like it’s geared toward having all of the #1 seeds in each pods in the single elimination tourney which makes sense, but why not just take the top 8 teams and do double elimination?

Anybody else not like this format? Whoever loses this game is automatically eliminated, but still has another game to play.

Seems like it’s geared toward having all of the #1 seeds in each pods in the single elimination tourney which makes sense, but why not just take the top 8 teams and do double elimination?

I was thinking the same thing.

What is really odd is if Pitt wins today vs GT and beats UNC on Wed night the UNC vs GT game on Fri means nothing.

Lets Go Pitt.

NGF

Reactions: pittjas

I was thinking the same thing.

What is really odd is if Pitt wins today vs GT and beats UNC on Wed night the UNC vs GT game on Fri means nothing.

Lets Go Pitt.

NGF

Pitt wins.

Pitt vs UNC Wednesday at 7. Will probably air on tape delay in the middle of the night on ATTSN.

By the way, Thursday's UNC/GT is meaningless. Pitt/UNC is a de-facto quarterfinal. Loser out. But even if UNC wins, that game vs GT has no bearing on the ACCT. I wonder if that's a game they could cancel if bad weather forces some delays.

Very happy that we were able to hang on for the victory. More times than not we seem to lose a lot of these kind of games in all of our sports. H2P!!!!

Pitt wins.

Pitt vs UNC Wednesday at 7. Will probably air on tape delay in the middle of the night on ATTSN.

By the way, Thursday's UNC/GT is meaningless. Pitt/UNC is a de-facto quarterfinal. Loser out. But even if UNC wins, that game vs GT has no bearing on the ACCT. I wonder if that's a game they could cancel if bad weather forces some delays.

The really crazy thing is tha GT/UNC game is actually on FRIDAY. Meaning GT will need to be in a hotel for 3 more nights, fed for 4 more days, etc., all for a meaningless game.

Now, one thing is that GT is a bubble team so a chance to get a win over a Top 10 UNC team isn’t at all “meaningless”, but in terms of the tournament there are too many opportunities for meaningless games for my liking.

What an awesome victory. That GT team has some serious, serious hitters. Fantastic pitching by pidich and freure. Huge game tomorrow night against the top seed. Anyone know who we're planning on putting out on the mound? Game this big it's gotta be hammer right?

GT is a very, very good hitting team and Pitt is about as bad of a hitting team that I have ever seen. How many teams have 4 starters that hit under .200 with another player at .220. That is just unheard of.

Reactions: gary2
GT is a very, very good hitting team and Pitt is about as bad of a hitting team that I have ever seen. How many teams have 4 starters that hit under .200 with another player at .220. That is just unheard of.
and we've beaten them 3 out of 4 this year, go figure and the only game they won took a very late rally to win it.

Pitt is hitting .220 as a team in ACC play. Over the years, Pitt has had decent weekend pitchers. What has hurt are we've only had 2-3 ACC-level hitters and poor weekday pitchers.

SEC tournament is set up so first round games are single elimination and turns into double elimination after that. So any team could win the tournament, ACC is set up to favor the teams that did well over the season making it much harder for other teams to sneak in. Can’t fault that approach, the season should mean something.

SEC tournament is set up so first round games are single elimination and turns into double elimination after that. So any team could win the tournament, ACC is set up to favor the teams that did well over the season making it much harder for other teams to sneak in. Can’t fault that approach, the season should mean something.

The problem with that is the number of games.

If anyone but a top 2 seed make it to the final, they could play 6 games.

1st Round Single Elimination
Tuesday: 8 beats 9 in single elimination game

Double Elimination portion
Wednesday: 1 beats 8
Thursday: 8 beats 5 in elimination game
Friday: 8 beats 4 in elimination game

Single Elimination Semis and Finals
Saturday: 8 beats 1
Sunday: 8 beats 2

While I do like the ACC's model much better, I don't know that a different tiebreaker other than just advancing the top seed would hurt anyone. I agree the season should mean something, but say pitt, Carolina, and GT all go 1 and 1 and a different tiebreaker advanced someone else, UNC is still going to the ncaa's based on their whole body of work.

I think one thing to note from the ACC is this:

They value regional hosts more than participants in the tournament--i.e. they would rather have their top seeds advance and secure a host spot vs. having someone like ND/Pitt win it and get in as a 3 or 4 seed.

Personally, I like the SEC format, or even the 10 team format from before.

Clemson/nd still going on so pitt may be waiting a while. Says it is supposed to be on Comcast channel 188 though.

Says it is supposed to be on Comcast channel 188 though.

On DirecTV at 7:00 they had the AT&T Pittsburgh overflow channel on and were clearly going to show the game, except there was no game to show. I am hoping that someone remembers at 8:20 to throw the switch.

ACC is set up to favor the teams that did well over the season making it much harder for other teams to sneak in.

I'm not sure how that's the case. If we win three more games (four total) we are the champions. Under the old format we'd have needed to win five. It's actually easier now for a crappy team to win the tournament than it used to be.

On DirecTV at 7:00 they had the AT&T Pittsburgh overflow channel on and were clearly going to show the game, except there was no game to show. I am hoping that someone remembers at 8:20 to throw the switch.
Not sure what's going on on Comcast, still rugby where it says the game should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT