ADVERTISEMENT

Advanced stats love Cam Johnson, but he doesnt play

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Go to sports-reference.com

Jamie has got to start phasing out Chris Jones. He is shooting a Cam Wright-like 28% from 3. Johnson is shooting 42%. Jones does make an occasional play here or there but his upside is very limited. Cam can maybe hit 3 or 4 3s and change a game. For a team struggling to score, we need Cam's shot. Forget defense. Nobody is any good at that.

I am always dubious of "advanced stats" because you have to look at these stats closer to see when some of these numbers occur. But you are right on one thing. Chris Jones is what he is. Cam Johnson has upside, at least we hope he has upside, and needs to play more just to see how he develops. And if the stats warrant this, then great. Neither really help us with ball handling.

I am always dubious of "advanced stats" because you have to look at these stats closer to see when some of these numbers occur. But you are right on one thing. Chris Jones is what he is. Cam Johnson has upside, at least we hope he has upside, and needs to play more just to see how he develops. And if the stats warrant this, then great. Neither really help us with ball handling.
It's pretty clear Jones is getting more PT- because he's at least trying to stick with his man on defense consistently.
Not always succeeding, but he's giving effort on that end- which Dixon is rewarding.

I like Jones as a player (role player) more than most here...and I think he gets bagged on, same as people bagged on Brad Wannamaker- because his mistakes tend to be AWFUL looking mistakes...but, he does have value off the bench.

It's pretty clear Jones is getting more PT- because he's at least trying to stick with his man on defense consistently.
Not always succeeding, but he's giving effort on that end- which Dixon is rewarding.

I like Jones as a player (role player) more than most here...and I think he gets bagged on, same as people bagged on Brad Wannamaker- because his mistakes tend to be AWFUL looking mistakes...but, he does have value off the bench.

Jones does try. You're right. He's just not very good. He was a mid-major recruit and really hasn't progressed to be any more than that.

Huge difference between Wanamaker and Jones. By year 2, Brad was an important contributor on a 1 seed and POY candidate by Year 4. Jones is in Year 4 and still looks like he should be playing for Fairleigh Dickinson.

Jones does try. You're right. He's just not very good. He was a mid-major recruit and really hasn't progressed to be any more than that.

Huge difference between Wanamaker and Jones. By year 2, Brad was an important contributor on a 1 seed and POY candidate by Year 4. Jones is in Year 4 and still looks like he should be playing for Fairleigh Dickinson.
Year 2 Brad played 19 minutes per game, scored 5.8 PPG, and grabbed 3.3RPG
Year 2 Jones plays 17 minutes per game, scores 6.1 PPG, and grabs 1.8 RPG.

Both came off the bench. The players in front of Brad were just much better.
I'll stick with my comparison.

Year 2 Brad played 19 minutes per game, scored 5.8 PPG, and grabbed 3.3RPG
Year 2 Jones plays 17 minutes per game, scores 6.1 PPG, and grabs 1.8 RPG.

Both came off the bench. The players in front of Brad were just much better.
I'll stick with my comparison.

Can you compare their 4th years in the program now.

Also, can you compare Cam Wright with Julius Page. Robinson with Brandin Knight?

The numbers might tell us that THESE are the good ole days! What great talent we have!

Name one player besides Jones who takes the ball off the dribble to the hole. He is at least looking to score. Don't say Robinson because he does it so rarely.

I would love to see: Robinson, Smith, Johnson, Jeter, Young start. Then bring only Artis, Wilson, and Jones off bench. Artis seems like he has been pressing way too much in the offensive end. We need him to get a better sense of the flow of the game before he comes in. I believe that is why he keeps picking up early cheap fouls.

I would also like to see Wilson at the PG and Robinson at the SG like we did with Tray Woodall.

I like Luther and he is improving offensively but gives no impact rebounding or guarding in low post. Maia is way to slow and uncoordinated and Ododa has nothing but being able to give fouls.

Name one player besides Jones who takes the ball off the dribble to the hole. He is at least looking to score. Don't say Robinson because he does it so rarely.

I would love to see: Robinson, Smith, Johnson, Jeter, Young start. Then bring only Artis, Wilson, and Jones off bench. Artis seems like he has been pressing way too much in the offensive end. We need him to get a better sense of the flow of the game before he comes in. I believe that is why he keeps picking up early cheap fouls.

I would also like to see Wilson at the PG and Robinson at the SG like we did with Tray Woodall.

I like Luther and he is improving offensively but gives no impact rebounding or guarding in low post. Maia is way to slow and uncoordinated and Ododa has nothing but being able to give fouls.

Solid post, I apologize for giving you the business in the other thread.

No prob. I love Pitt. I wish we were just making up our mind about a lineup to stick with, not waited till it was too late to go zone, and greatly improved on boxing out and getting position.

The game I went to this season ( live in Michigan), I was appalled by how low we let the offender get position on us, particularly Ododa. I also couldn't believe how many times NONE of our players turned when the shot went up to find a man to box out. We just try and out jump the defenders.

I wish we could find a way to run sets that put Artis in the same spots Sam Young used to get the ball. I think they have similar skill sets.

Oh and one more finally, when Young bangs down and tries to get to the basket he gets tunnel vision. He needs to look out to someone like Sterling to pass it to or Jones or Johnson. The defense sucks right into the lane forcing Young into a bad shot and when he does that we are also left with no rebounders to grab an offensive board.

He ( Luther ) needed a red shirt to get stronger unless he balked at it JD make a mistake.

Reactions: gary2
I don't think Dixon sees the upside of Luther and doesn't want to tie up a schollie for a fifth year. At least that's how I feel.

I don't think Dixon sees the upside of Luther and doesn't want to tie up a schollie for a fifth year. At least that's how I feel.
Luther gives them some good minutes and if that's what JD thinks maybe he should move on if he really wants to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT