ADVERTISEMENT

Akok Akok

H2P 4 EVER 17

Walk-on
Sep 22, 2013
Top 35 player in the nation visiting today on campus. This would be a huge get for Jeff Capel and staff. He plays high school ball in Connecticut so obviously beating out UConn would be really tough and impressive so we'll see. If we don't get him it's definitely not time to panic or anything as we're still in on other really good players as well, but wow this would be exciting and really make up for not getting Walker.

Barring an unexpected change, Akok is going to UConn. I’d expect an announcement soon, possibly this weekend.

The positive here is that his prep school has produced some pretty good recruits recently. Getting your foot in the door there could pay dividends down the line

Barring an unexpected change, Akok is going to UConn. I’d expect an announcement soon, possibly this weekend.

The positive here is that his prep school has produced some pretty good recruits recently. Getting your foot in the door there could pay dividends down the line
Inside info or just reading the situation?

Maybe the kid wants to go away to lay ball , not everyone wants to stay close to home .

Convinced him to take a visit on his birthday so I doubt he's just doing it to be nice.

Then why is he in Pittsburgh?

-Whoever this person is, he is associated with the Uconn boneyard message board. 100%. Every time something is released or said over there, he brings it here.

I’ve been called many things, but a fan of another team is the most laughable.

I’m a Pitt fan who likes talking college hoops and just happens to have a friend that passes along some info on recruiting which, since we’re after a ton of the same guys as UConn, is nice to have some perspective on. I don’t follow other message boards, but I will say that the info I got on Akok a month ago was ahead of the CB’s on 247, so I think it’s at least somewhat credible.

I’m not a merciless homer like yourself and prefer not to pander to sycophants. Pitt basketball needs to be smarter in recruiting and chasing guys out of our range currently isn’t the best way to go about it.

Pitt just offered another 2019 PF in Tyrese Samuel after Akok’s visit.

Draw your own conclusions.
They are after more than one big. They lost out on Walker. My take is this has nothing to do with Akok. What's your take?

Just fyi - my question was not meant to sound snarky. It just seems odd that a player who supposedly is "wrapped up" by UConn would choose to take an OV in Pittsburgh mid-week in October of all times. I mean, why? Doesn't make sense unless he hasn't completely decided, but what do I know.

Reactions: BPKY
I’ve been called many things, but a fan of another team is the most laughable.

I’m a Pitt fan who likes talking college hoops and just happens to have a friend that passes along some info on recruiting which, since we’re after a ton of the same guys as UConn, is nice to have some perspective on. I don’t follow other message boards, but I will say that the info I got on Akok a month ago was ahead of the CB’s on 247, so I think it’s at least somewhat credible.

I’m not a merciless homer like yourself and prefer not to pander to sycophants. Pitt basketball needs to be smarter in recruiting and chasing guys out of our range currently isn’t the best way to go about it.

-You admitted previously your friend / booster / associate / whatever from where you get your information from is a huge Uconn fan. Shall I bump that previous post?

-You get your information from the Uconn message board.

-I dont really care who you are a fan of

-You can call me a homer, I couldnt give a rats ass.

Reactions: Parkview57
Just fyi - my question was not meant to sound snarky. It just seems odd that a player who supposedly is "wrapped up" by UConn would choose to take an OV in Pittsburgh mid-week in October of all times. I mean, why? Doesn't make sense unless he hasn't completely decided, but what do I know.

No apology needed.

My understanding is that he wanted to honor all of the visits he agreed to, and hey...why not? They wine and dine you, put you up in great hotels, and generally treat you like a King for a few days.

Plus, one of the things we as fans forget or ignore, these kids talk to these coaches CONSTANTLY, in some cases for years. Now imagine being a teenager with some of the biggest names in CBB pushing you to visit their school...it’s a tough position to be in, so I never fault kids who take more visits than seems warranted.

-By the way, anyone can view your post history. You have been slobbing all over Dan Hurley since you started posting here and throwing shit on Capel saying you didnt like him. I encourage everyone to go into your post history.

-You admitted previously your friend / booster / associate / whatever from where you get your information from is a huge Uconn fan. Shall I bump that previous post?

-You get your information from the Uconn message board.

-I dont really care who you are a fan of

-You can call me a homer, I couldnt give a rats ass.

I said that my friend has ties to UConn, which is why I thought it was good to pass along the info I got from him since we are recruiting pretty much the same guys.

Checking other schools boards, Twitter, instagram, etc is the height of paranoia but if that’s your thing, then go for it,

-By the way, anyone can view your post history. You have been slobbing all over Dan Hurley since you started posting here and throwing shit on Capel saying you didnt like him. I encourage everyone to go into your post history.

I have also been complimentary of Capel’s effect on recruits thus far and mentioned other guys that I preferred (Oats, Musselman) in addition to Hurley. Hurley was the best guy for Pitt’s job...denying that is foolish.

Kids take visits all the time. Even after they are “committed”. Nothing that unusual here.

-Ill draw my conclusion. This information came from Pittsburgh Sports Report from the same writer that said Mitchell and Wahab were visiting Uconn this week (wrong). Before you call someone out, get your facts together. These guys on Pittsburgh Sports report are never right about anything.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/10/24/pitt-offers-four-star-2019-pf-tyrese-samuel/

I have also been complimentary of Capel’s effect on recruits thus far and mentioned other guys that I preferred (Oats, Musselman) in addition to Hurley. Hurley was the best guy for Pitt’s job...denying that is foolish.

Hurley would have been the best guy for Pitt if he was going to stay but he, and Oats, would have been gone in 1-4 years. Capel may leave too but he is more likely to stay.

Reactions: Jpripper88
No. The information came from the kid.

-No, the speculation came from Pittsburgh Sports Report in regard to Akok, which is what this entire thread is all bout, Akok.

-This is the same writer that said Pitt missed on Igiehon, a player we have not even looked at since early summer.

Does Samuel’s offer signify that things didn’t go well with Akok? Not necessarily. Pitt has been heavily involved in a half-dozen big man targets in this class, and it seems likely that they’ll take more than one. Capel is working with at least two scholarships in the 2019 class and does not yet have a commitment.

Samuel is another high-level recruit and is ranked the No. 89 player in the class and the No. 18 power forward by 247Sports composite rankings. There are at least a half-dozen schools hot on Samuel’s trail, led by UConn, which is seemingly going toe-to-toe with Pitt for every big man prospect in the class.

-No, the speculation came from Pittsburgh Sports Report in regard to Akok, which is what this entire thread is all bout, Akok.

-This is the same writer that said Pitt missed on Igiehon, a player we have not even looked at since early summer.

Does Samuel’s offer signify that things didn’t go well with Akok? Not necessarily. Pitt has been heavily involved in a half-dozen big man targets in this class, and it seems likely that they’ll take more than one. Capel is working with at least two scholarships in the 2019 class and does not yet have a commitment.

Samuel is another high-level recruit and is ranked the No. 89 player in the class and the No. 18 power forward by 247Sports composite rankings. There are at least a half-dozen schools hot on Samuel’s trail, led by UConn, which is seemingly going toe-to-toe with Pitt for every big man prospect in the class.

Fair enough. I thought you were referring to the offer.

Pitt basketball needs to be smarter in recruiting and chasing guys out of our range currently isn’t the best way to go about it.

Comments like this is what trolls do. He's obviously not out of Pitt's range. I know this because they are in the final 3 and got him on campus. The "problem" is Pitt was very late in going after him but that's more confirmation that Capel is going after the right types of players.

This statement is foolish. Hurley will likely be fine as coach but he's no slamdunk hire for anyone.

Again, another troll-like statement.

Reactions: PittFathead87
This statement is foolish. Hurley will likely be fine as coach but he's no slamdunk hire for anyone.

Again, another troll-like statement.
-He also was pumping Jalen Gaffney. I told him Florida and Pitt quit recruiting him months ago. Florida was landing 5 star guards and Pitt needed big men and wasnt activly recruiting guards. We didnt even offer Gaffney an official visit. Just like we told ajak he could visit unofficially as he was way down our list before he verbaled to cuse. This logicaltake person also constantly takes cheapshots at Syracuse. Only Uconn fans do that. The guy is a uconn fan. At least you guys can see it.

Not surprising at all. Pitt were the first big program to offer him. Ledlum is one of the very few prospects that Capel isn't playing catch up with.

-The issue here is well known. Ledlum's parents are pushing Yale and Harvard down his throat for academics. Everything around his recruitment is academics, then more academics, then more academics, then basketball. Which there is nothing wrong with that since those are 2 of the best schools in the world. But from our standpoint, it will take almost a miracle to get him from his academic pushing parents

Reactions: Drew1208
-The issue here is well known. Ledlum's parents are pushing Yale and Harvard down his throat for academics. Everything around his recruitment is academics, then more academics, then more academics, then basketball. Which there is nothing wrong with that since those are 2 of the best schools in the world. But from our standpoint, it will take almost a miracle to get him from his academic pushing parents
I called his parents told them to he could always go to Harvard or Yale for Grad school. They said cool dog, good point, you've convinced me.

I called his parents told them to he could always go to Harvard or Yale for Grad school. They said cool dog, good point, you've convinced me.
high-five-joyful-businessman-vector-illustration_k32787657.jpg

Reactions: Drew1208
If it were me or my child, it's gong to be the Ivy League. Chris has an NBA body and athletic ability (we don't)- I might choose differently if I'm him.

If it were me or my child, it's gong to be the Ivy League. Chris has an NBA body and athletic ability (we don't)- I might choose differently if I'm him.

If my kid were a Top 100 player, it would be tough for me to NOT send my kid to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT