ADVERTISEMENT

Are you going to the Penn State game & how many Pitt @ PSU games have you been to?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Are you going to the Penn State game & how many Pitt at Penn State games have you been to? Have you seen Pitt win in Beaver Stadium?

Most likely yes, and I've been to four and I'm 1-3.

1982-Beaver-Stadium.jpg

Reactions: psugisher
I have been to 20+ PITT/Ped St games over the years. I will go a game up there ever again. I have seen PITT win up there and my favorite game up there was 1980....both were top 5

Are you going to the Penn State game & how many Pitt at Penn State games have you been to? Have you seen Pitt win in Beaver Stadium?

1982-Beaver-Stadium.jpg
Yes, I am going this year. I've been to 10 games so far. Only 3 were Pitt wins and 3 were at PSU with 7 being home. I have not seen Pitt win at PSU yet.

I'll be there this year. It will be the 8th time I've seen a Pitt - Penn State game at Penn State. Pitt is 2-5 in the games I've seen up there.

However, technically the game in 1976 at Three Rivers was a Penn State home game If you count that one then Pitt is 3-5 in road games against Penn State that I have been at.

My favorite was probably the win in 1984, when we were god-awful. We were 2-7-1 heading into the game and the nitters thought they were going to win in a walkover. There was even a column in the newspaper up there saying that the Pitt - Penn State game normally determined the best football team in PA, but that Pitt was so bad that if the nitters wanted to play for the state championship they'd have to schedule a game against I want to say Lehigh, but that might be the wrong small school opponent, because Pitt was so bad. We won that game 31-11. Oops.

Reactions: Panther Holla
Yes, I'm going and I've been at the big erector set twice. I'm 1-1. Saw Dan Marino, Benji Pryor and Randy McMillan beat UPS and then 2 years later, Marinio's senior year, saw Foge suffer a half dozen brain farts and give the game away to Penn St. , one of the worst coached games in Pitt history.

Reactions: Big Marty1
Saw Marino pick PSU apart 29-14. 1979??

I saw PITT win 14-9 in 1980, GREAT game. Was 13 yrs old and hit in the head by a beer bottle for jumping up and laughing at Carlton Williamson's pick when BlackSludge was trying to throw the ball out of bounds and kill the clock.

Also saw Swervin' Curvin run all over the Nits 14-7.

Saw a bad PITT team nearly upset PSU, before losing 22-17.

Also saw a big blowout loss Alex VP's SR year...PSU murdered us like 57-13, 1992 I believe.

Reactions: Panther Holla
Was there for games twice in the BS (Before Sandusky) era. Won't be partaking further.

Specifically I saw the 84 and 86 games there. For the latter my buddies and i had our lives threatened at this Ratcellar (?) place for wearing Pitt gear. What was funny was it was not students but these old cultist farts who no doubt had their own versions of Dottie and Sue obediently waiting at home to overlook their perversions. But we just kept drinking our cases of little pony bottles (of whatever crappy beer), which apparently was the tradition of the place. One of our friends was/is a big menacing looking dude so they ultimately didn't mess with us beyond squwaking.The rest of the people there were fine, and we had a good time. The game stunk of course other than Ironhead had some kind of big play early that gave us hope, quickly squashed on KO return by them in SOP fashion. And oh yeah, the infamous end zone brawl. We had scored mid stadium seats from a PSU alum so we were in enemy territory for sure, had crap throw at us, fools running up and screaming in our face etc. Usual rivalry stuff, really didn't think much of it. There were even a couple older ladies behind us that gave us jello shots even as their husbands were ripping us!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Marty1
I've seen starting 15 with the 15-13 heartbreaker in the snow at Pitt Stadium, 1977. Pitt is 6-8-1 in those games. Best was 1980 up there -- best college football game I've ever seen in person. All of the wins were sweet, but last year and 1987 I remember being overjoyed. Worst was that 77 game, 1982 and the damned tie. 48-14 was easier to digest in retrospect because the Marino-era Panthers tended to be sloppy, and on that day they paid the ultimate price.

Was there for games twice in the BS (Before Sandusky) era. Won't be partaking further.

Specifically I saw the 84 and 86 games there. For the latter my buddies and i had our lives threatened at this Ratcellar (?) place for wearing Pitt gear. What was funny was it was not students but these old cultist farts who no doubt had their own versions of Dottie and Sue obediently waiting at home to overlook their perversions. But we just kept drinking our cases of little pony bottles (of whatever crappy beer), which apparently was the tradition of the place. One of our friends was/is a big menacing looking dude so they ultimately didn't mess with us beyond squwaking.The rest of the people there were fine, and we had a good time. The game stunk of course other than Ironhead had some kind of big play early that gave us hope, quickly squashed on KO return by them in SOP fashion. And oh yeah, the infamous end zone brawl. We had scored mid stadium seats from a PSU alum so we were in enemy territory for sure, had crap throw at us, fools running up and screaming in our face etc. Usual rivalry stuff, really didn't think much of it. There were even a couple older ladies behind us that gave us jello shots even as their husbands were ripping us!
of whatever crappy beer.........rolling rock... good stuff but not for the pretentious snooty ipa crowd. Dated a gal up there back in that time frame and actually had some good times in there. Use to be a blues band that played in there forever called Queen Bee and the Blue Hornet Band and they were pretty good. Heard she died recently, shame.

Last game for me was the last win Pitt had up there cannot remember the game for the fact it took second stage to a drunken friend of mine (PSU grad of course) punching out the window of the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile in a rage after the game. Something that sort of sticks with you.

Last edited:

1982-Beaver-Stadium.jpg

If I ever go to nittwitville I'll visit paturdos grave and empty the bladder with some recycled Iron City beer.

of whatever crappy beer.........rolling rock... good stuff but not for the pretentious snooty ipa crowd. Dated a gal up there back in that time frame and actually had some good times in there. Use to be a blues band that played in there forever called Queen Bee and the Blue Hornet Band and they were pretty good. Heard she died recently, shame.

Last game for me was the last win Pitt had up there cannot remember the game for the fact it took second stage to a drunken friend of mine (PSU grad of course) punching out the window of the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile in a rage after the game. Something that sort of sticks with you.
Wow for the latter! You must shake your head in regret that camera phones weren't available then...

Been to 8. I am 4-4 against the Nits. I am 1-3 at PSU and 3-1 at home. Will be there this year.

Reactions: cbpitt2
80 ...an outstanding college football game. What a battle.
82.....Another Pitt team which should have blown through its schedule and won a MNC
86.....Grandpa knew how to coach and that was a very good team.

Have probably seen 15 games there against some great opponents

Last time up there had a parking pass close to the stadium but a downpour led them to send us about a half mile away to an alternative "lot".
Of course it was a cow field and plugged away through mud and sh!t to get to our seats.
Not going back.

I haven't been there since HIGH SCHOOL(79,80 and 82). I am going this year, about a dozen of us RENTED a house near the stadium!!

I've only been to one PSU game, a 10-0 win in 1987 at Pitt Stadium, rather memorable, got laid by a girl I met at the game, at my apartment on Centre Ave, never saw her again, woke up in the morning and she was gone, one night stand! H2P! Great memories! Definitely a big win!

I've only been to one PSU game, a 10-0 win in 1987 at Pitt Stadium, rather memorable, got laid by a girl I met at the game, at my apartment on Centre Ave, never saw her again, woke up in the morning and she was gone, one night stand! H2P! Great memories! Definitely a big win!
Shady McCoy's wiki page lists no father...Born July '88'........Coincidence?

Always wondered why he was prone to bar fights.

I'm 0-2 there (97 and 99). Good games, lousy and hostile fans (pelted with a few food items). I was there for one other awesome game when Brad Banks and Iowa walked away with a win in 02. I was right in front of the legendary Paterno ref grab after the game (second only to the poop pants incident).

Shady McCoy's wiki page lists no father...Born July '88'........Coincidence?

Always wondered why he was prone to bar fights.
No, we where both white. Bar fights? I've been involved in 2 and they where started by others.

I'm 0-2 there (97 and 99). Good games, lousy and hostile fans (pelted with a few food items). I was there for one other awesome game when Brad Banks and Iowa walked away with a win in 02. I was right in front of the legendary Paterno ref grab after the game (second only to the poop pants incident).
Pants = urban legend.

only 2? gee, what was I thinking...
Only two, both times it was in defense of people I was with who where attacked. Once a good friend, once my brother. In fact I tackled the guy who was fighting with my brother onto the hard wood floor at Calico's, the owner then threw THAT GUY out and thanked me for helping break up the fight.

Only two, both times it was in defense of people I was with who where attacked. Once a good friend, once my brother. In fact I tackled the guy who was fighting with my brother onto the hard wood floor at Calico's, the owner then threw THAT GUY out and thanked me for helping break up the fight.
good for you...I, to this point, have never been a victim of one of those unprovoked bar attacks...

good for you...I, to this point, have never been a victim of one of those unprovoked bar attacks...
Both times, these dudes thought my brother/friend where hitting on their girlfriends. Maybe they where? But, they never knew these girls before the incidents and where just talking, so to me, it was unprovoked and these guys where jerks. I mean, some random girl you never met before is in a bar, she's willingly talking to you, you're supposed to know who she's dating?

Onc incident was at YSU and the other at Calico's. My brother is currently a college professor and my friend is currently a high school teacher and high school head football coach, so just for reference, they aren't some low life scumbags as you probably assume.

0-3 in Happy Valley, though the game in '99 was a great game with Lavar blocking our game winning field goal attempt at the gun.

2-2 in Pittsburgh - through undefeated since 2000.

I have had mostly good experiences up there, which appears unique among Pitt fans. Nothing like Morgantown where not only have I never seen Pitt win, I've also been in some scary situations with some unsavory characters.

Won't make the game this year, but plan on being in HV for the finale in 2019.

Ironically given this thread the closest I've been in bar fights have been at bars watching Pitt-PSU game and the other a Pitt-WVU game. The first I was likely at least 50% to blame, I was mouthing off, but the PSU guy was the quintessential cultist so I think most would understand. The other, it was just a incredibly jerkass WVU fan wreaking massive drunken havoc. I actually stopped a friend from tearing that guy apart, not truly involved myself.

If I ever go to nittwitville I'll visit paturdos grave and empty the bladder with some recycled Iron City beer.
So far I've only ever had the chance to do that at mountaineer field, paterno or eventually Sandusky's grave would be much more satisfying though.

Whoever posted that writes great fiction.
so, let me get this straight, Joe states the reason he runs across the playing field through the defense because of a bug while the game was in play (mind you) in black pants and returns in tan pants is because he had the extreme need to make a bold fashion statement?

Hahaha. Branch Joevidians, God love'em as they are entertaining..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT