ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

pittjas

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2016
Pittsburgh
Every game, we set a new record for lowest attendance at the Pete.

Tonight it's 2,333.

Definitely something Lyke is going to have to keep an eye on.

What's amazing to me is the fact that Lyke and the Athletic Department didn't lower season ticket prices. They announced that they wouldn't be increased, which didn't really make sense because they really need to be cut in half. The product is not good enough to warrant the same prices when we were good.

What's amazing to me is the fact that Lyke and the Athletic Department didn't lower season ticket prices. They announced that they wouldn't be increased, which didn't really make sense because they really need to be cut in half. The product is not good enough to warrant the same prices when we were good.
The price isn’t the reason folks aren’t showing up.

Be real.

I guess it finally makes sense why they have the wrong side of the arena on tv - that side didn't look quite as bad as every other angle

In this case it’s really not even the grossly overpriced tickets . No one wants to go see the games . At $5 a game I’d doubt that they sell a meaningful amount of tickets .
I wonder if that attendence number includes all the employees that work the game and those who are forced to attend !

Reactions: rockypanther

Wow, major error by athletics department. You get more people in building with lower price you may balance out with more sales and more concessions

Reactions: bwh05
I wonder if that attendence number includes all the employees that work the game and those who are forced to attend !

That number apparently includes all the employees in the building as well as several hundred people who happened to walk by the building while the game was going on.

I said after the High Point game that there were around 1,200 people actually there. There were fewer people there tonight.

Frankly, the vast majority of fans in Pittsburgh could not tell if the quality of play in today's game was any different than the quality of play with the great teams of 10 years ago. The fact they missed another highly competitive game in what has been a highly competitive non-conference schedule is their loss.

Frankly, the vast majority of fans in Pittsburgh could not tell if the quality of play in today's game was any different than the quality of play with the great teams of 10 years ago. The fact they missed another highly competitive game in what has been a highly competitive non-conference schedule is their loss.

Perhaps, but I can tell that was a bad team we played tonight, and we did not play well at all.

But at least we won. It's beats the alternative.

Really? How cheap would the ticket have had to be for you to go tonight?

For this game, it wasn't the price per se, but rather the fact that the season tickets were too expensive so I didn't already have a ticket. If I had a ticket already, I would've gone, but I had some other commitments, and didn't feel compelled to buy a ticket on StubHub. It was only like the 5th game I've missed in about 14 years.

I definitely would go on Saturday but refuse to pay anywhere close to $90 to see this bad team get embarrassed by WVU.

I'm not that surprised, but still shocking how far its dipped. Its like the generation of fans and all the Pete record setting 'sellouts' were smoke and mirrors.

I'm not that surprised, but still shocking how far its dipped. Its like the generation of fans and all the Pete record setting 'sellouts' were smoke and mirrors.

Well, most fans really have no hope that the current coach can turn this ship around. They have zero optimism and don’t want to endure the pain.

You should go likely will be your most attended game this season

The West Virginia game should tell us something about whether there is any hope for better than 0-18 in ACC play. They beat Virginia last night 68-61. Assuming Huggy presses us unmercifully we could easily lose by 30 or more.

The price isn’t the reason folks aren’t showing up.

Be real.

The price is the reason I didn’t attend tonight and won’t attend for WVU.

Me too. Price is a factor for everything. As I've said a million times, Pitt's ticket prices are some of the highest in college basketball. I get that there was a time we could get that but those days are long over. Even if we returned to being a Top 10 program, I don't think we could ever come close to selling the amount of tickets we did in that era. It was just a different time: new building, Big East in its renaissance greatness, Pitt a top team for first time ever and the Pens werent good.

If Pitt showed good faith and drastically reduced ticket prices this year to equal what they are truly worth, I would have bought them and went to every game. There is no way I'm paying $1200 to watch the worst team in school history in person. That is insane.

This is what tickets should cost:

Lower endzone and corners: $350
Upper sideline: $250
Upper endzone and corners: $150

I dont know why anyone would decide to charge a price for tickets that ensures almost nobody will buy them.

Attendance didn't need to be this bad. From the broadcast, it looked like there were less than 1000 people there. If Pitt would have charged a reasonable amount, you'd have 3K-5K people at these games including myself

Really? How cheap would the ticket have had to be for you to go tonight?

For this game, it wasn't the price per se, but rather the fact that the season tickets were too expensive so I didn't already have a ticket. If I had a ticket already, I would've gone, but I had some other commitments, and didn't feel compelled to buy a ticket on StubHub. It was only like the 5th game I've missed in about 14 years.

I definitely would go on Saturday but refuse to pay anywhere close to $90 to see this bad team get embarrassed by WVU.

What's your max price for Saturday? If I can get a ticket on Stubhub for $30, I'll go. That is a fair price to watch Pitt get destroyed at home by their rival and listen to annoying WVU fans.

Nobody buys single game tickets. If Pitt charged a reasonable amount for season tickets, they would have sold a whole lot more and some of those people would have attended last night

I was meaning secondary market. I can't imagine a ticket was over $10 on StubHub. Probably under $5.

What's your max price for Saturday? If I can get a ticket on Stubhub for $30, I'll go. That is a fair price to watch Pitt get destroyed at home by their rival and listen to annoying WVU fans.

I forget which ticket site I was on yesterday, but I didn't see anything under $70 for Saturday. I am not paying that.

I thought the season ticket prices were too high under Jamie. I only stopped buying them because of work and kids activities and ended up not going more than going. IF they were cheaper I may have kept them.

I often wonder if I should try and go to some games this year. I am truly more mad at our previous AD than I am at Stallings. He does deserve a legit shot even though I am not a fan of the hire. Kids seem to be trying hard, and they are putting on the blue and gold. So there is that reason to go. But again, this is the one time the Alum seem to be sending the Admin a message...Maybe 2....I would like to see some sort of response.

It's funny this tweet rolled across my timeline last night.

You can substitute Pittsburghers, Dejuan Blair, Sam Young, Levance Fields and Mt. St Marys in this underlined words below and be dead nuts on.

Gary Parrish‏Verified account@GaryParrishCBS
Gary Parrish Retweeted Jon Rothstein

In a 10-year span Memphians have gone from watching Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Antonio Anderson and Joey Dorsey be ranked No. 1 in the nation in a soldout building to watching a team with zero top-100 recruits celebrate miracle wins over Samford in front of 2,000 fans.

Nobody buys single game tickets. If Pitt charged a reasonable amount for season tickets, they would have sold a whole lot more and some of those people would have attended last night

I was meaning secondary market. I can't imagine a ticket was over $10 on StubHub. Probably under $5.

All OOCs besides WVU are the Stubhub minimum of $6 for lowers. $10 after fees.

But again nobody buys single game tickets. The vast majority of people at any sporting event are season ticket holders.

I've gone to a few games this season and used StubHub for one of them. There just aren't a ton of tickets available because there's not that many people with season tickets to begin with. In years past you could find lots of tickets for really cheap prices to these types of nonconf games but now not so much.

That number apparently includes all the employees in the building as well as several hundred people who happened to walk by the building while the game was going on.

I said after the High Point game that there were around 1,200 people actually there. There were fewer people there tonight.
You'd wonder whether the athletic dept would decide to review the way they do business , since this is a business , after this terrible collapse of bb program in the future ? Unless KS proves to be way more resourceful than it appears they'll be looking for a new CEO of their bb division in a couple of yrs . Do they try to save a few bucks and hire an unknown young up and comer or do they pony up and overpay for a known quantity ?
My vote is that they take the cheap route it's their mo . Plus they'll have no revenue generation from bb by then .

I've gone to a few games this season and used StubHub for one of them. There just aren't a ton of tickets available because there's not that many people with season tickets to begin with. In years past you could find lots of tickets for really cheap prices to these types of nonconf games but now not so much.

A lot of people would pay upfront for tickets and then recoup most or all of that cost by selling a few high-markup games and just dump everything else. Since that is impossible now, all those people just gave up those extra tickets.

I probably would've considered it for $30-40 a couple weeks ago but based on the way the season has gone, I refuse to attend WVU out of protest. Barnes was more concerned with giving fans a "rivalry" than giving fans a winning team. There's zero reason we should be playing a top-20 WVU team when we are the worst P5 team in the country.

I probably would've considered it for $30-40 a couple weeks ago but based on the way the season has gone, I refuse to attend WVU out of protest. Barnes was more concerned with giving fans a "rivalry" than giving fans a winning team. There's zero reason we should be playing a top-20 WVU team when we are the worst P5 team in the country.

I said in the spring that we should have postponed the game for a year or switched it to start in Morgantown this year. This is a total waste of a home game.

The price is the reason I didn’t attend tonight and won’t attend for WVU.

If you show up at the game, I'm sure someone outside will have tickets extremely cheap. No need to pay full price if you really want in.

People are starting to buy single game tickets now because they're available. And they'll start buying them more and more in the years ahead until Stallings is gone and we get back to putting a competitive team on the court again. I know I'm thinking of not renewing next year and just buying single game tickets because they'll be readily available, they'll be cheap, and I can pick which games I can attend. That's the trend now.

People are starting to buy single game tickets now because they're available. And they'll start buying them more and more in the years ahead until Stallings is gone and we get back to putting a competitive team on the court again. I know I'm thinking of not renewing next year and just buying single game tickets because they'll be readily available, they'll be cheap, and I can pick which games I can attend. That's the trend now.

Pitt charges $25 for OOC cupcakes, ~$40 for ACC games, and $90 for WVU and Duke. A trivial number of fans are going to pay those prices.

Why would anyone blame Barnes for adding what could be been the restart of a great rivalry game ? The problem is that one of the teams program collasped . If Pitt was still a competitive D1 team 3500 to 5000 people show up to a St Mary's or High Pt game and 12000 would be there on Sat for WVU . Giving the paying fans a potentially exciting OOC game isnt a crime it's smart business . What's a crime is what Barnes did after JD was pushed out .

Why would anyone blame Barnes for adding what could be been the restart of a great rivalry game ? The problem is that one of the teams program collasped . If Pitt was still a competitive D1 team 3500 to 5000 people show up to a St Mary's or High Pt game and 12000 would be there on Sat for WVU . Giving the paying fans a potentially exciting OOC game isnt a crime it's smart business . What's a crime is what Barnes did after JD was pushed out .

Barnes should have focused on making this a top-25 program before he bothered trying to fill the seats. He put the cart before the horse, and then ran it off a cliff.

He thought we were all dumb enough to lap up a "rivalry" game but ignore that the coach and team are terrible.

Reactions: Pittfan85
Barnes should have focused on making this a top-25 program before he bothered trying to fill the seats. He put the cart before the horse, and then ran it off a cliff.

He thought we were all dumb enough to lap up a "rivalry" game but ignore that the coach and team are terrible.
Barnes turned out to be the absolute worst administrator in the modern hx of Pitt bb , but adding WVU to the schedule wasn't the reason .

Reactions: gilligan 3

We were borderline Top 25 with Dixon but attendance was plummeting so he thought we needed to play WVU to give the fans something before January. I dont blame him. Jamie didn't like it and that was a big reason he left. Fewer fans were coming but Jamie didn't think the AD had any right to mess with his Jamieball schedule

And used a parachute to ensure a safe landing for himself while the cart, horse, and passengers were left to plummet off the cliff.

Reactions: levance2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT