ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roethlisberger is who I thought he was.

The steeler nation created Ben. I always thought he was a really good QB but not a great QB. His last 5 years were very telling. If he was great the Steelers would have won a couple of playoff games. The QB’s make everything happen.

I guess we can hear from Ben when he goes into the Hall of Fame. He’s still a 5 star narcissist

I think more people feel this way than care to admit and it extends to beyond professional sports. This is completely a non-story.
This is very true. And even if you don’t like Ben, you have to respect the fact that he was man enough to admit those feelings to Kenny’s face.

I think these are going to have a much better relationship than what Ben and Terry have.

Kinda hard for Ben not to like Kenny. Kenny is "almost" a Ben clone:

Tough as nails, can will a team to win, feet to keep plays alive, when things going bad takes over control, calls his own plays and puts the team on his back.

Both have/had the "IT" factor.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think more people feel this way than care to admit and it extends to beyond professional sports. This is completely a non-story.
Ehhh, hall of famers (I guess he is), in my opinion really should never feel that way. I mean he got his (2 bowls). That's some big insecurity or flat out hating on other's success. That's weak. Guys that have started for years and never really had great teams or stats is more common to feel Ben's way I would think

I never liked Ben as a person, still don't.
But in full context it's not too bad.
He's basically saying, yeah I know I'm a douche, I wish I wasn't a dikhead but this is something I thought in my jagoff head and I'll say it out loud.

The steeler nation created Ben. I always thought he was a really good QB but not a great QB. His last 5 years were very telling. If he was great the Steelers would have won a couple of playoff games. The QB’s make everything happen.

I guess we can hear from Ben when he goes into the Hall of Fame. He’s still a 5 star narcissist
It is nice that he admitted it, but he could have done so in private….

Ben knows what he’s doing… Who is everyone talking about this morning on the Pittsburgh radio stations?…. BEN!

Reactions: Millerton24
Honestly, 99% of us would feel the same in Ben’s situation and I appreciate that he was honest. Plenty of reason to dislike Ben. This ain’t it. And in 15 years when Kenny retired, I’m sure he’ll feel the same way about the next QB the Steelers draft.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Honestly, 99% of us would feel the same in Ben’s situation and I appreciate that he was honest. Plenty of reason to dislike Ben. This ain’t it. And in 15 years when Kenny retired, I’m sure he’ll feel the same way about the next QB the Steelers draft.
I watched the whole 1 hour plus interview and I really enjoyed it. As someone who has been as critical of Ben as people like Delpanther for the past 20 years, Ben came off as fairly likable. In full context, the comment wasn’t that bad. We are all flawed as humans and I think its human nature to feel the way he did. But he said it was an initial emotion that quickly went away. I get it.

I always thought Ben was a scumbag, and thought that he was fake and using religion and marriage as a way of rehabilitating his image. But after watching an hour + of the interview, I found myself thinking that tigers can change their stripes.

I took it as a compliment to Kenny. Ben would not have wanted anyone to succeed directly after him, but he has taken to him. At least he said it too his face.

That’s selfishness in me, and I feel sorry for that."

Ben Roethlisberger was who I thought he was
....there, I fixed it for you. Seems to me admitting your selfishness (let's face it probably every successful hall of fame type QB has the same thought but won't admit it out loud) to the person you hoped would fail is a pretty stand up thing to do...

I think it is pretty telling that Ben was honest enough to admit what is likely true about 95% of star athletes. Anyone really think Tom Brady is rooting on Mac Jones or Aaron Rodgers for Jordan Love???
Yep, agree completely with you and Burgh15. Pretty much a non- story as most professional athletes as well as in other professions would feel the same way. The only story here is that he publicly admitted it, which isn’t/wouldn’t be the case for most others.

Reactions: Burgh15
It's the competitive nature that is part of what makes someone that good. Ben was more or less told he was done. I'm pretty sure that stung and he wanted to believe the Steelers couldn't live without him. He's had KP on his "show" or whatever it is since so I believe him when he said he got over it.

I watched the whole 1 hour plus interview and I really enjoyed it. As someone who has been as critical of Ben as people like Delpanther for the past 20 years, Ben came off as fairly likable. In full context, the comment wasn’t that bad. We are all flawed as humans and I think its human nature to feel the way he did. But he said it was an initial emotion that quickly went away. I get it.

I always thought Ben was a scumbag, and thought that he was fake and using religion and marriage as a way of rehabilitating his image. But after watching an hour + of the interview, I found myself thinking that tigers can change their stripes.
I appreciate your coming around on it, but instead of the framing it as him being worried about his image, perhaps he genuinely knew he needed to make a change in in life, found a good woman to marry and gtfu.

That is my take.

I have known Ben's and have always got him.

Its just bizarre people going mental about him on an internet message board about how insecure HE is.

I mean ...

Just another attempt by the "Attention Seeking whore" that little ben was and continues to be in his retirement. Didn't like him when he arrived here because he came across as cocky. That initial gut feeling that I had was 100% accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Yeah, not really much of a gotcha story. He actually kind of “got” himself if anything.

The guy was a creep for a long time and likely the team fixed his “situations” or he would have likely dealt with some criminal cases. And probably should have.

However, for whatever it is worth, he seems to eventually have cleaned up his act after after several years, and he remains a decent citizen.

As far as the ‘crime’ of sucking in his final seasons (far more of an issue to most yinzers) that was a group effort for sure. From coaching, OL, and the meltdowns of Bell and AB. He also should have kept himself in better shape. But he still would have been getting pulverized the last few seasons.

Couldn’t agree more. I listened to the entire hour and also found it entertaining. What people fail to mention is BR admitted that he was wrong for thinking that way and even said it was selfish (I believe that’s the word he used ) to have those thoughts. But he also said he’s all in on KP and thinks he has A bright future

The other take away is KP also came off as an extremely likable guy who is driven to succeed. The dude is also very media savvy. He knows how to dodge potential land mines.

I find the outrage over this amusing.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and gary2
I like Ben better than Kenny, at least until Kenny wins his 2nd Super Bowl. :)

JUST WIN BABY.

Some of you guys have some fd up sense of things at times.

He said these things TO KP ...

That's real and genuine, and honestly COMPLIMENTARY to KP that he was able to go on air and put it out to him like that.

We need MORE of this ...

Being honest and real with each other.
Most who are outraged likely didn’t listen to the entire show or even realize that Ben admitted that his initial reaction was wrong and selfish. Never hated BR nor fawned over him. Like most of us he is a flawed human who has made mistakes early in his life. Many people who have the success he had early in life end up having oversized egos and end up doing dumb shit.

However in this podcast he came off as a very likeable and real dude nothing pretentious about it and I think he genuinely likes KP.

Just another attempt by the "Attention Seeking whore" that little ben was and continues to be in his retirement. Didn't like him when he arrived here because he came across as cocky. That initial gut feeling that I had was 100% accurate.
lol ... cocky is what got us two more SB wins and made him a HOF QB, same as pretty much any of the other great QBs.

Most who are outraged likely didn’t listen to the entire show or even realize that Ben admitted that his initial reaction was wrong and selfish. Never hated BR nor fawned over him. Like most of us he is a flawed human who has made mistakes early in his life. Many people who have the success he had early in life end up having oversized egos and end up doing dumb shit.

However in this podcast he came off as a very likeable and real dude nothing pretentious about it and I think he genuinely likes KP.
Well said about Ben.

I LOVE the guy, but he definitely was a pig toward women in his younger years, and has his quirks.

KP has a long ways to go to be the QB Ben was, but obviously is a lot more mature at this point than Ben was.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
No I wouldn't. I'm not a selfish prick

Reactions: FireballZ
It is nice that he admitted it, but he could have done so in private….

Ben knows what he’s doing… Who is everyone talking about this morning on the Pittsburgh radio stations?…. BEN!
Bingo!

Ben is all about Ben.

He doesn’t care about the team; his former teammates; the fans; the coaches; nothing but Ben.

So much so that he has to admit publicly that he is a self centered, immature little prick.

I’m reminded of the saying, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt.”

With Ben, replace “fool” with narcissist and he removed all doubt.

I don’t think there’s anything admirable, or gracious about him.

There have been lots of great QBs who have retired and been publicly supportive of the next guy, or just not said anything. I’m sure someone will be searching the interwebs to find a disparaging quote from Bart Starr; or John Elway; or Dan Marino to make the point that “all” great QBs think that way, because their favorite Stiller QB is an ass.

Ben wanted Kenny to fail, and by doing so he wanted the Steelers to fail (former teammates, coaches, fans) because he was no longer the QB.

The fact that he admitted it to Kenny doesn’t make him a better person now. He’s still the same ahole he always was.

The Ben apologists will be Ben apologists forever, and I‘m sure Ben is thankful for them. Even though he didn’t want them to enjoy success after he left.

He doesn’t care about the team; his former teammates; the fans; the coaches; nothing but Ben.
I don't know about that. My buddy has done ton of work with Ben both in public and private and I've never heard that. I've heard that he's always had a select group of guys in his circle and it's very frat brother-like (in a good way). We had Brett Keisel at an event a few years ago and he was a pretty big Ben loyalist. As was Pouncey, Max Starks, Willie Colon, Heath Miller, etc.
There have been lots of great QBs who have retired and been publicly supportive of the next guy, or just not said anything. I’m sure someone will be searching the interwebs to find a disparaging quote from Bart Starr; or John Elway; or Dan Marino to make the point that “all” great QBs think that way, because their favorite Stiller QB is an ass.
What about Joe Montana and Steve Young? Montana admitted he purposely did not try to help Young in anyway and had animosity when Young took over. Young said the relationship was tumultuous at best. Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler was another one.

With all that being said, Ben was actually being pretty humble in admitting in a good way that he was envious of Kenny.

No I wouldn't. I'm not a selfish prick
Were you ever one of the all time greats at anything watching some kid take a job you held half of your life? You either don't have natural human instincts or are not a competitor. Favre hated Rodgers for years... Rodgers wanted Love dead. Bradshaw hated everyone.

Who that is great at something and represents the city wants someone to step in and not at least feel missed for a while?

I don't know about that. My buddy has done ton of work with Ben both in public and private and I've never heard that. I've heard that he's always had a select group of guys in his circle and it's very frat brother-like (in a good way). We had Brett Keisel at an event a few years ago and he was a pretty big Ben loyalist. As was Pouncey, Max Starks, Willie Colon, Heath Miller, etc.

What about Joe Montana and Steve Young? Montana admitted he purposely did not try to help Young in anyway and had animosity when Young took over. Young said the relationship was tumultuous at best. Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler was another one.

With all that being said, Ben was actually being pretty humble in admitting in a good way that he was envious of Kenny.
The fact that Young was on the team at the same time might have something to do with it. Kenny was not on the team when Ben was there. Not apples to apples at all.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. I listened to the entire hour and also found it entertaining. What people fail to mention is BR admitted that he was wrong for thinking that way and even said it was selfish (I believe that’s the word he used ) to have those thoughts. But he also said he’s all in on KP and thinks he has A bright future

The other take away is KP also came off as an extremely likable guy who is driven to succeed. The dude is also very media savvy. He knows how to dodge potential land mines.

I find the outrage over this amusing.
The reality of it is, roethlisberger didn't have to say anything about it. He said what he said to bring ATTENTION to himself. That's why he added his comment about how he now cheers for Pickett to do well.
God forbid should Kenny Pickett ever lead the steelers back to playing in the Super Bowl, "what will "little ben" be willing to admit to then to gain some ATTENTION??? Perhaps we will all finally get to hear what really happened in Las Vegas, Nevada and Milledgeville, Georgia.

Bingo!

Ben is all about Ben.

So much so that he has to admit publicly that he is a self centered, immature little prick.

I’m reminded of the saying, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt.”

With Ben, replace “fool” with narcissist and he removed all doubt.

I don’t think there’s anything admirable, or gracious about him.

Ben wanted Kenny to fail, and by doing so he wanted the Steelers to fail (former teammates, coaches, fans) because he was no longer the QB.

The fact that he admitted it to Kenny doesn’t make him a better person now. He’s still the same ahole he always was.

The Ben apologists will be Ben apologists forever, and I‘m sure Ben is thankful for them. Even though he didn’t want them to enjoy success after he left.
You used the "P word" that I so wanted to use in my earlier post, but didn't want to get reprimanded for using it. LOL LOL!!!! I do agree with your post 100%.

Were you ever one of the all time greats at anything watching some kid take a job you held half of your life? You either don't have natural human instincts or are not a competitor. Favre hated Rodgers for years... Rodgers wanted Love dead. Bradshaw hated everyone.

Who that is great at something and represents the city wants someone to step in and not at least feel missed for a while?
No I've never had the luxury of being an egotistical douchebag for throwing a ball.
You named a couple qbs. Who are all known dicks.
I'd probably more reflect on the the wonderful accomplishments I had and take solace knowing I'm one of the best ever. I'd be humbled by the blessings and unparalleled praise and adoration i received for playing a sport.
I'd reflect on how unimportant my actual job was compared to the accolades that come with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT