ADVERTISEMENT

Benny Snell

He's a bruiser. I figured they would add a speedy back but didn't figure they'd add someone in the same mold as JC. Odd pick at best.
Ahhh. You guys beat me to the punch. I started another thread about him. The Steelers are valuing character and due to that may have slotted him higher. I like the pick though.

Reactions: gary2
Ahhh. You guys beat me to the punch. I started another thread about him. The Steelers are valuing character and due to that may have slotted him higher. I like the pick though.

Character and personality are important but I don't see him as a great fit on the field. Need a quick, speed back to compliment JC.

Reactions: BamaPanther
I like the pick. Maybe the Steelers don’t want thunder and lightening? Just thunder and thunder. Two bruising backs - take one out and throw another fresh one at a defense and wear them out. Behind that Oline, there will be no break for the defense. JC can still handle the receiving out of the backfield.

I like the pick. Maybe the Steelers don’t want thunder and lightening? Just thunder and thunder. Two bruising backs - take one out and throw another fresh one at a defense and wear them out. Behind that Oline, there will be no break for the defense. JC can still handle the receiving out of the backfield.

True, could be easier on the line to prepare for one type of runner.

Walterfootball really likes the pick which is good enough for me.

I posted this in the other thread about him but this is perplexing to me. What is the point of adding a third back to carry the ball? They have made two really perplexing picks.

I believe the wide receiver they took was taken ahead of Paris Campbell who definitely looks like a better prospect for what they wanted

I posted this in the other thread about him but this is perplexing to me. What is the point of adding a third back to carry the ball? They have made two really perplexing picks.

I believe the wide receiver they took was taken ahead of Paris Campbell who definitely looks like a better prospect for what they wanted

Well, I thought they’d go CB sooner rather than later too - but with recent success of the Steelers drafting WR/RBs, I think we should let it play out.

Well, I thought they’d go CB sooner rather than later too - but with recent success of the Steelers drafting WR/RBs, I think we should let it play out.

Okay I lied about Paris Campbell he was gone... and DK Metcaff was gone as well.

I’m okay with the corner. It was widely viewed that corners 5-12 were relatively similar with not a lot separating them

I hope Conner has a HOF career in Pgh, but you can’t have enough RB depth in today’s NFL. Many ‘expert’ critics were saying the Steelers wasted a third round pick on a sentimental RB from Pitt that would be a simple backup and change of pace guy, and they would end up working out a deal to keep Bell for years to come at the time of the pick.

The career span is too short and unpredictable for NFL RBs. There is no such thing as long term certainty at the position

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Okay I lied about Paris Campbell he was gone... and DK Metcaff was gone as well.

I’m okay with the corner. It was widely viewed that corners 5-12 were relatively similar with not a lot separating them
Louis riddick is in love with this steeler draft. He thought Bush was best pound for pound player, loved the WR pick (who the Steelers had graded as a 1st rounder), and loves the CB who may end up being the best in the crop.

Reactions: gary2
And while we all love James, lets not pretend he doesnt always miss a game or two due to injury too. Connor goes down and the style of running doesnt have to change like it would with Samuels and a scat back type

Great point. JC has had some injuries so Snell seems like a plug and play guy if something were to happen.

Fine enough for me for a later 4th rounder and Conner was actually a supp 3rd which is really into the 4th.

The Steelers have lost it.

Rooney better not allow any of those silver footballs out of sight for somebody to dent it....

No replacement coming soon you can bet that.

Louis riddick is in love with this steeler draft. He thought Bush was best pound for pound player, loved the WR pick (who the Steelers had graded as a 1st rounder), and loves the CB who may end up being the best in the crop.

I love the Bush pick and the Corner out of Michigan state... I don’t like the WR pick or the 4th round running back. I respect LR opinion, but I’m also entitled to my own.

The Steelers have lost it.

Rooney better not allow any of those silver footballs out of sight for somebody to dent it....

No replacement coming soon you can bet that.

You dont have to replace your Super Bowl trophies. They let you keep them when you win them. Its a souvenir of sorts.

Reactions: PittAU and Ski11585
An issue I had with Snell was he seemed to be a big liability when it came to pass blocking. Maybe it’s just me but it seemed every time I saw him play he had blitzers running around him at will.

What do I know though, maybe he improves in that aspect with more coaching similar to the way Conner appeared to last year. Like some other posters mentioned I thought they would go for a more change of pace guy to go with Conner and Samuels.

I'm good with the Snell pick, but agree with those who expected a different style of back. The TE in the 5th is a head scratcher as he was expected to be a UFA.

An issue I had with Snell was he seemed to be a big liability when it came to pass blocking. Maybe it’s just me but it seemed every time I saw him play he had blitzers running around him at will.

What do I know though, maybe he improves in that aspect with more coaching similar to the way Conner appeared to last year. Like some other posters mentioned I thought they would go for a more change of pace guy to go with Conner and Samuels.

Much like I said about Ollison and Conner here-
How a running back blocks is the least of my concerns . It’s like worrying about free throw shooting for a center.

He's a bruiser. I figured they would add a speedy back but didn't figure they'd add someone in the same mold as JC. Odd pick at best.

I just explained the whole Snell pick to my daughter and said how some people don’t like the pick because he’s not a change of pace guy to JC. She asked why you would want to do that when you can have two similar guys who do the same thing and not interrupt what you do well.

Kids say the darndest things.

I just explained the whole Snell pick to my daughter and said how some people don’t like the pick because he’s not a change of pace guy to JC. She asked why you would want to do that when you can have two similar guys who do the same thing and not interrupt what you do well.

Kids say the darndest things.
I wanted us to get homer from the U but more I thought about it, he’s a James Conner lite.

I like this pick the more I think about it. And like another poster mentioned, JC does seem to be injured a lot. Give JC breaks and allow this guy to continue to tire out the line.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I like this pick the more I think about it. And like another poster mentioned, JC does seem to be injured a lot. Give JC breaks and allow this guy to continue to tire out the line.

I would think if Conner goes down Samuels would be the starter. I expect Snell was drafted more for depth and to be the #3 guy.

It was late in the 4th round and they need a rb. They got a TE in the 5th. They are addressing their needs quite nicely.
Two needs they did not fill were safety and guard.

Dangerfield, M.Allen and B.Allen not good backups for Davis and Edmonds.

I expect Feiler to start at OT. That leaves Finney and Hawkins as the only OL backups.

Something tells me they know what they wanted as much as you.

Much like I said about Ollison and Conner here-
How a running back blocks is the least of my concerns . It’s like worrying about free throw shooting for a center.
Didn't Conner have some issue with pass blocking his first season, but feel he got better at it?

I saw somewhere Snell apparently said he would take the starting job? Not sure exactly how it was phrased so not gonna jump the gun in outrage - and like said above, always good to have RB depth especially when your RB1 is somewhat injury prone.

talk is that Colbert and tomlin want to go more "by committee". we will see, could be just talk show rhetoric.. I love Conner but he just doesn't seem to be one to hold up to 20 touches a game and stay healthy. maybe that's unfair, I don't mean it as a knock at all, just bad luck.

Maybe less touches in Sep and October for JC means a healthier Dec and January..

I didn't hear (1st hand) what the Steelers GM said either yesterday or today but I did hear it discussed on The Fan.

It went something like the Steelers will use a RB by committee approach this year with Conner, Snell, and Sameuls.
The Fan morning hosts indicated it appears to them that Conner won't have the starting job coming into camp based on comments from the Steelers GM.
Interesting!

Last edited:
I agree, but Bell was a fat running back coming out of college who lost weight. Maybe they see Snell dropping a bit of weight to be quicker.

Seems like a bit of an odd pick for the Steelers. Kind of a reach this high as well.

I didn't hear what the Steelers GM said either yesterday or today but I did hear it discussed on The Fan.

It went something like the Steelers will use a RB by committee approach this year with Conner, Snell, and Sameuls.
The Fan morning hosts indicated it appears to them that Conner won't have the starting job coming into camp based on comments from the Steelers GM.
Interesting!
If they want to try the "by committee" approach, then I'm all for it. All recent teams who have won the Super Bowl seemingly had that kind of approach... Sony Michel killed it for the Pats this postseason, and had James White/Rex Burkhead chip in with some solid yardage at key times as well.

And I just get a bit leery about giving one back a ton of carries ("running them to the ground") like they did with Bell, and somewhat with Conner last year til he got injured.

There were definitely moments this past season where I felt passing the ball too much really cost the Steelers. And it may be addition by subtraction getting the cancer (AB) out of the locker room.

I see JC as more of a "tweener" back - decent speed, decent power. And (as others have noted) keeping James healthy may be more of a priority, given his history.

Snell, on the other hand, seems to be more of a pile-mover - the guy who will get you that very short yardage without Ben having to sneak it.

If they want to try the "by committee" approach, then I'm all for it. All recent teams who have won the Super Bowl seemingly had that kind of approach... Sony Michel killed it for the Pats this postseason, and had James White/Rex Burkhead chip in with some solid yardage at key times as well.

And I just get a bit leery about giving one back a ton of carries ("running them to the ground") like they did with Bell, and somewhat with Conner last year til he got injured.

There were definitely moments this past season where I felt passing the ball too much really cost the Steelers. And it may be addition by subtraction getting the cancer (AB) out of the locker room.
As you mentioned other teams have gone to the RB "by committee" approach and have been successful.
This might benefit Conner given his history of injury.

Reactions: str61166
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT