ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten & SEC create joint advisory group

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
The NCAA is living on borrowed time… let’s see if we can grab a lifeboat to whatever’s next. :oops:

The sooner they breakaway and form a true pro league, the better. We would go with them as part of a different conference.

Reactions: Ski11585
I hate to say it, but I honestly just don't care anymore.

If Pitt athletics exist in a capacity I deem entertaining enough to watch, then I'll watch. If they don't, I'll play my guitar and explore nature more. Whatever.

In general, and throughout most of history, you see that people just can't be satisfied with a good thing. They almost always change it until they eventually ruin it.

If Pitt athletics exist in a capacity I deem entertaining enough to watch, then I'll watch. If they don't, I'll play my guitar and explore nature more. Whatever.

In general, and throughout most of history, you see that people just can't be satisfied with a good thing. They almost always change it until they eventually ruin it.
The problem is the NCAA and the school have had no choice but to change because of state governments and lawsuits, now it is about finding a solution for the states and stopping them from being an easy target for attorneys.

The problem is the NCAA and the school have had no choice but to change because of state governments and lawsuits, now it is about finding a solution for the states and stopping them from being an easy target for attorneys.

Yeah, the NIL thing for sure - that was out of their control. I'm referring more to what these conferences are doing.

Made the 2.5 hour trek to Charlottesville to see the Wahoos play Wednesday night & was listening to a podcast from Tennessee about their NCAA trouble.

The NCAA is trying to put the tube back in the toothpaste and crack down on pay for play. The TN case revolves around Nico Iamaleava. If you're familiar with the details of recruitment, it's obvious pay for play.

Anyway, this has been brewing for a while and word is the NCAA is going to come after several more schools. However, if the punishment is anything more than a slap on the wrist, Tennessee plans to fight it. Word from the UT admin is that if Nico is suspended or ruled ineligible, they plan to tell the NCAA to go to hell, play him anyway and take it to court.

It will be interesting to see where this all goes, but I think several football factory schools are going to break away from the NCAA for football in the near future if they can't get their shit together.

The big problem seems to be that really nobody knows how to proceed from here and there is a huge leadership vacuum.

As a side note, and no surprise, almost everyone seems to think it's a foregone conclusion that the SEC and Big 10 are going to devour the ACC. It's just a matter of when.

Last edited:

Let me just change that last paragraph for you-money always wins, and where profit is involved those who chase it don’t care what they destroy along the way.

Reactions: Dan1911 and TD_6082
Huh?

There is no NIL today if not for state legislation forcing it upon the NCAA. There is no talk about employment contracts if not for multiple lawsuits allowing unlimited transfers and lawsuits going after more money.

Poor leadership got them to this point but now it is about trying to get a system in place that prevents the state governments from passing more legislation that forces them to react and also getting a system that keeps them from getting pounded in the courts.

There is no NIL today if not for state legislation forcing it upon the NCAA. There is no talk about employment contracts if not for multiple lawsuits allowing unlimited transfers and lawsuits going after more money.

Poor leadership got them to this point but now it is about trying to get a system in place that prevents the state governments from passing more legislation that forces them to react and also getting a system that keeps them from getting pounded in the courts.
NIL came about as a result of the SCOTUS decision in NCAA v Alston, which was a federal antitrust case under the Sherman Act.

Reactions: CJsE
I have to believe this about saving college sports.
I’m sure you’re not alone.

But this is about them maximizing their money and I can nearly guarantee you they don’t care about anything or anyone else.

College football as we knew it is over Johnny. It’s over.

NCAA v Alston
The ball that got NIL rolling was California passing NIL legislation and then multiple states jumped on board as the CA deadline approached

The NCAA v Alston dealt with the NCAA's restrictions on providing college athletes with non-cash compensation for academic-related purposes.

Reactions: bwh05
I’m sure you’re not alone.

But this is about them maximizing their money and I can nearly guarantee you they don’t care about anything or anyone else.

College football as we knew it is over Johnny. It’s over.
What is the fix because everything that the NCAA has tried has led to another lawsuit chipping away at the foundation.

The NCAA or two conferences cannot prevent states from passing legislation. Well, unless they intend to throw a lot of money into bribing er um I mean campaign contributions.

The NCAA or two conferences cannot prevent states from passing legislation. Well, unless they intend to throw a lot of money into bribing er um I mean campaign contributions.
It is about making rules that the different state governments can live with and hoping they no longer see a need to take action.

What is the fix because everything that the NCAA has tried has led to another lawsuit chipping away at the foundation.

Employment and a collective bargaining agreement.

And it's been obvious for a long time that that was where this needed to go. But the NCAA and the schools have fought it tooth and nail, because when that happens some of the big money they've been raking in will go to people other than themselves.

Employment and a collective bargaining agreement.

And it's been obvious for a long time that that was where this needed to go. But the NCAA and the schools have fought it tooth and nail, because when that happens some of the big money they've been raking in will go to people other than themselves.
The biggest programs are now pushing hard to make them employees, hell that will be the main mission of this group.

The biggest programs are now pushing hard to make them employees, hell that will be the main mission of this group.

Are they though?

Joe's post was 100% spot on. Schools mainly want to pocket the money, not solve the problem. Employment and collective bargaining agreement is the way this needs to go.

Are they though?

Joe's post was 100% spot on. Schools mainly want to pocket the money, not solve the problem. Employment and collective bargaining agreement is the way this needs to go.

Yea, I am not buying that Alabama, Georgia, etc want to make put their players on the payroll when their boosters are gladly footing the bill.

Don't give Heather any ideas or else you may see a lake and a beach built in Oakland

Look at some of the schools that sponsor beach volleyball. You don't need to be anywhere near a beach to have a team.

For example, Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State, Central Arkansas, Missouri State, Eastern Illinois, Boise State, UTEP, Arizona, Arizona State, Grand Canyon, and plenty of other, similarly situated schools play D1 beach volleyball.

Look at some of the schools that sponsor beach volleyball. You don't need to be anywhere near a beach to have a team.

For example, Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State, Central Arkansas, Missouri State, Eastern Illinois, Boise State, UTEP, Arizona, Arizona State, Grand Canyon, and plenty of other, similarly situated schools play D1 beach volleyball.

Don't tell Heather

The ball that got NIL rolling was California passing NIL legislation and then multiple states jumped on board as the CA deadline approached

The NCAA v Alston dealt with the NCAA's restrictions on providing college athletes with non-cash compensation for academic-related purposes.
You are wrong, the ball has been rolling for more than a decade. The NCAA's power has been getting stripped piece by piece for the last 15 years. Courts can only rule on the complaints in front of them, but they can make clear their future intentions should the next case reach that level.

-The NCAA was forced to settle in 2008 White v NCAA that opened the door for cost-of-attendance payments as well as removed the restriction that schools couldn't pay their athletes' health Insurance.

-The 2014 O'Bannon Decision destroyed every defense the NCAA had against player compensation. The decision refuted that restrictions were necessary to preserve amateurism for competitive balance, sport popularity, product prestige, or academic integrity. It also stopped the NCAA from enforcing "any bylaws that would prohibit its member schools and conferences from offering their FBS football or Division I basketball recruits a limited share of the revenues generated from the use of their names, images, and likenesses in addition to a full grant-in-aid."

-The 2020 Alston case was about all NCAA restrictions on compensation, but the district and appeals courts ruled in favor of the NCAA that a primary distinction between an NCAA athlete and a Pro was a salary. The players didn't challenge that ruling at the Supreme Court, but the NCAA challenged the ruling that stripped their ability to restrict education-related compensation. So the Supreme Court COULDN'T deliver a ruling opening up all compensation to athletes, only on what the NCAA wanted overturned. But the Supreme Court's unanimous decision shutting down the NCAA and their written opinion made it pretty clear that future challenges to the NCAA would have a good shot at winning.

The true effect of the decision was the signal that the NCAA will not be in a favorable position on any future non-academic compensation related cases. This gave the states the legal backing to pass their NIL laws. This decision was a signal that their legislation would likely succeed if challenged by the NCAA.

Reactions: pittdan77
Are they though?

I know both Harbaugh and Franklin are pushing for it and there are others, it gaining momentum and will happen sooner rather than later.

Reactions: bdur76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT