ADVERTISEMENT

Brandin Cummings 26 points per game

Love that he shoots so well off the dribble….mark of a real scorer. Let’s hope Pitt can finish over.500 in AcC play, retain the current roster, quiet talk about Capel’s future, get Meleek Thomas and go from there. That’s the dream scenario…..

This is the dream scenario for guards. And our chances for Dixon have gone up exponentially now that Kansas is reportedly no longer recruiting him.

Lowe- JR
Carrington- JR
Cummings- SO
Dixon- FR
Thomas-FR

Things can always change, but I think we lead for both Dixon and Thomas. Our 2 freshmen guards continuing to win and pour it on in the scoring column only helps the cause.

I hope we do lead for Dixon and Thomas. There is a real possibility that Lowe and/or Carrington may not be here past this year. The portal and NIL are huge motivating factors.

I don't even think Kentucky could hold onto a backcourt that deep, let alone Pitt.

Nothing but a hunch, but I'm guessing Carrington leaves after this season.
That's my guess as well, for a bigger NIL.

Especially if there's no tourney and Bickell wants to cut basketball off to get rid of Capel as has been rumored.

Number 4 on my list above is "supposed" to be a making his decision in the spring, although don't hold me to that because things can always change in recruiting. Dixon has visited Pitt 3 times now. Big Time outside shooter.

Cutting basketball NIL to keep throwing money down the football hole would be incredibly foolish lol

Okay, don't cut it. But this notion that some harbor on here that we should say screw football altogether and go all in on basketball is way more ridiculous. We're a football school first. Always have been. When football is down, we'll still get 45,000+ for some games. When basketball is down, we get 820 people. Going all in on basketball would be living in the jects and driving a Mercedes Benz. Do we want our athletics to resemble Virginia?

Okay, don't cut it. But this notion that some harbor on here that we should say screw football altogether and go all in on basketball is way more ridiculous. We're a football school first. Always have been. When football is down, we'll still get 45,000+ for some games. When basketball is down, we get 820 people. Going all in on basketball would be living in the jects and driving a Mercedes Benz. Do we want our athletics to resemble Virginia?

Of course we want our athletics to resemble UVa. They have a natty. And they go 4-8 in football instead of 7-5 in football like we do. I dont care about going to the Fenway Bowl. We need to focus everything on hoops like WVU is going to do.

Also, Pitt NEVER gets 45K unless we are good and are playing a big-time team. If we are 6-1 and Duke comes in, we are getting 35K maybe. If we are 4-3 and they come in, its 25K. We get 15K-20K more often than you think.

Reactions: FrogmoreZeke
I would love for our athletic department to resemble Virginia’s.

Reactions: singregardless
Of course we want our athletics to resemble UVa. They have a natty. And they go 4-8 in football instead of 7-5 in football like we do. I dont care about going to the Fenway Bowl. We need to focus everything on hoops like WVU is going to do.

Also, Pitt NEVER gets 45K unless we are good and are playing a big-time team. If we are 6-1 and Duke comes in, we are getting 35K maybe. If we are 4-3 and they come in, its 25K. We get 15K-20K more often than you think.

We'll get 55K for an FCS opener on account of the weather being nice sometimes. And Virginia was actually a pretty high bar; we wouldn't even be that.

Also, how do you figure that WVU is all in on basketball when they just paid $300K for a G5-level WPIAL receiver?

I would love for our athletic department to resemble Virginia’s.

You and 3,500 other people. Unfortunately for you all, football is what butters the bread at this school... to the extent that any bread is even being buttered at all.

If we had as many basketball fans as you guys claim and if buying your way into basketball relevancy was as easy as you guys claim, then we should have an organic NIL cooperative set up by now that is mighty robust and funds only basketball.

You and 3,500 other people. Unfortunately for you all, football is what butters the bread at this school... to the extent that any bread is even being buttered at all.

If we had as many basketball fans as you guys claim and if buying your way into basketball relevancy was as easy as you guys claim, then we should have an organic NIL cooperative set up by now that is mighty robust and funds only basketball.

It doesn't have to be a basketball vs football thing.

Almost half the roster and the entire Pitt frontcourt next year is international players. We are saving a ton of money on NIL in basketball because of that. This program can afford to go big game hunting in the 2025 basketball recruiting class and get a few studs. And football will have nothing to do with that. All Capel needs to do is keep winning with the freshmen this year.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

Almost half the roster and the entire Pitt frontcourt next year is international players. We are saving a ton of money on NIL in basketball because of that. This program can afford to go big game hunting in the 2025 basketball recruiting class and get a few studs. And football will have nothing to do with that. All Capel needs to do is keep winning with the freshmen this year.
How much do you think it would cost to retain Lowe and Bub and bring in those other 3 guys mentioned?

Cutting basketball NIL to keep throwing money down the football hole would be incredibly foolish lol
I believe it's more about cutting Capel's funding, 1 successful season in 6, compared to funding Narduzzi, the most successful coach since Jackie, and his first love.

He'd most likely fund a new coach properly.

If there is a coaching change, Alliance 412 might just do that. As it stands, they will not.

Reactions: rockypanther
They wont play together but not due to cost. What would the payroll be for that team? $3 million? If we cant pay that for a potential natty then close up Alliance 412?
There will never be a 3 million dollar payroll for basketball. We'd have to hire Calipari, Miller, BK or someone people in Pittsburgh like to see that.

We'll get 55K for an FCS opener on account of the weather being nice sometimes. And Virginia was actually a pretty high bar; we wouldn't even be that.

Also, how do you figure that WVU is all in on basketball when they just paid $300K for a G5-level WPIAL receiver?

They may announce 55K but we aren't getting that. You know that. If we are good and the weather is good, we may get 45K for that FCS opener.

And WVU is going to spend on football but not enough to compete nationally. They'll be near the top of the new Big East/Big 12 but that doesn't say a lot. In bball, I'd expect them to be in the Top 5-10 in payroll

How much do you think it would cost to retain Lowe and Bub and bring in those other 3 guys mentioned?

Well, Cummings isn't even ranked in the top 100 and he didn't have some massive offer list. Just because I and some others think he is underrated, that doesn't mean he has a huge value right now. You are going to have to pay out for the other 4. And Thomas is getting close to dropping out of the national top 10 on the updated national lists.

Jeff Goodman said there are 6 teams in the Big East around 2 million or a little over per year in basketball nil and the rest are under. And the Big East has some really good storied programs including Uconn who is a national champion machine. So that tells me players are not making some of the insane money numbers people are throwing out there like I said previously. Obviously a player like Cooper Flagg is an exception.

Bub is going to demand a lot because of his potential and size.

International players are getting paid. Them not getting NIL is old news; they've been getting it for years.

Reactions: 4upmc
Did A412 fund this years team or was it someone else? When did bickell sour on capel?

Austin came from a low major and only had OK numbers there so I doubt he's making much. Leggett we are probably paying more but nothing crazy. My guess is we paid Hinson good and then everyone else isnt making much. So I wouldn't say A412 funded this team and that's part of the problem. They are more interested in getting the football team to 7 wins.

Did A412 fund this years team or was it someone else? When did bickell sour on capel?
I believe they are funding a lot of it. But we don’t currently have anyone expensive on the roster. Carrington and Lowe weren’t expensive and we didn’t beat anyone meaningful for Leggett, Austin and none of the kids we retained outside of Hinson are any good.

International players are getting paid. Them not getting NIL is old news; they've been getting it for years.

Yea, I dont know how people dont know that. The workaround is simple. Pay them a few hundred thousand to go on a billboard during a foreign tour. Or pay them to do a 2 hour camp back home.

I believe they are funding a lot of it. But we don’t currently have anyone expensive on the roster. Carrington and Lowe weren’t expensive and we didn’t beat anyone meaningful for Leggett, Austin and none of the kids we retained outside of Hinson are any good.
I am only a smaller A412 member so my word means nothing, but it seems like it would be best to try and keep the team together as best we can next year and get another year less off of capels buyout. Could be decent if we pony up next year to keep guys and add some pieces.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Yep but we will be paying now to keep Lowe and Bub. Someone will be forking over money.

This is the dream scenario for guards. And our chances for Dixon have gone up exponentially now that Kansas is reportedly no longer recruiting him.

Lowe- JR
Carrington- JR
Cummings- SO
Dixon- FR
Thomas-FR
There is no chance whatsoever that all those dudes suit up for Pitt.

It may take a year longer than I thought, but Bub will be NBA bound before he’s a junior.

Last CBS mock draft had him going to OKC.

There is no chance whatsoever that all those dudes suit up for Pitt.

It may take a year longer than I thought, but Bub will be NBA bound before he’s a junior.

Last CBS mock draft had him going to OKC.

This might go over like a fart in an elevator, but I don't see losing him as being the end of the world for Pitt. I think his draft appeal is more about being moldable clay than being a great player at this level.

This might go over like a fart in an elevator, but I don't see losing him as being the end of the world for Pitt. I think his draft appeal is more about being moldable clay than being a great player at this level.
I really just would hate to see us lose him to the portal. If he gets drafted so be it. But getting out spent when u could have a back court of him, Lowe, and Leggett and hopefully a transfer would be a rough look.

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT