ADVERTISEMENT

Capel to Georgetown

Rumors on the internet of Jeff Capel being in the top 6 for the head coach at Georgetown after Patrick Ewing was fired after 6 seasons. Discuss

He would take it but NO WAY that's way too big of a risk for a program like that. He would have 1 NCAAT bid in his last years as a HC if he makes it this year

Remember how we reacted when Stallings was hired? That's how well any major program would react to hiring Capel. It's not happening. Smart of his agent to try to leverage an extension out of us though. We better not do it!

Reactions: FireballZ

They don’t want him but boy does he want them

Proves you can't trust a "nice guy" who talks behind your back, if this is indeed true. If it is, it wouldn't be unexpected and we move on to get a better coach. If not, let him stay here for another year and see if he can improve on this year's results. If he can't, boot him and get someone better. He's not here for the long term anyhow. No matter what, I don't expect him to be here past next year.

Remember how we reacted when Stallings was hired? That's how well any major program would react to hiring Capel. It's not happening. Smart of his agent to try to leverage an extension out of us though. We better not do it!

An extension? For what? He was successful for 1 year out of 5. He'd have to duplicate this year's success for the next 2 years minimum to even begin discussing an extension. And I hope we wouldn't give it to him. We need someone who we know is going to stay here long term.

Rumors on the internet of Jeff Capel being in the top 6 for the head coach at Georgetown after Patrick Ewing was fired after 6 seasons. Discuss

People that claim they have inside information for a college search process from youtubers and bloggers and fans of a certain team on twitter are flat out lying. And this literally has nothing to do with Jeff Capel.

I've followed this process twice now in the last 7 years. Jon Rothstein is the guy that broke the story the first time around with Kevin Stallings when no one was even talking about Stallings and Pitt. He broke that story on his twitter account that the deal was being finalized. And at that point I knew doom was coming, a long with many other pitt fans.

I don't remember who broke the story with Jeff Capel the 2nd time, but literally no one was talking about Capel to Pitt anywhere during the last Pitt search.

Now we are quoting sources of people throwing names out there of everybody having interest in Georgetown. Georgetown has missed the NCAA Tournament 16 times since 1997. This isn't the 80s any more where people think they are some powerhouse team. Besides Rick Pitino going there which I have doubts that will happen, they have a major rebuild coming to them that is going to take years to fix. Good luck to a coach like Mike Brey or many of these other names trying to fix that problem over night. Because it isn't happening unless its Pitino, regardless of the portal.

People that claim they have inside information for a college search process from youtubers and bloggers and fans of a certain team on twitter are flat out lying. And this literally has nothing to do with Jeff Capel.

I've followed this process twice now in the last 7 years. Jon Rothstein is the guy that broke the story the first time around with Kevin Stallings when no one was even talking about Stallings and Pitt. He broke that story on his twitter account that the deal was being finalized. And at that point I knew doom was coming, a long with many other pitt fans.

I don't remember who broke the story with Jeff Capel the 2nd time, but literally no one was talking about Capel to Pitt anywhere during the last Pitt search.

Now we are quoting sources of people throwing names out there of everybody having interest in Georgetown. Georgetown has missed the NCAA Tournament 16 times since 1997. This isn't the 80s any more where people think they are some powerhouse team. Besides Rick Pitino going there which I have doubts that will happen, they have a major rebuild coming to them that is going to take years to fix. Good luck to a coach like Mike Brey or many of these other names trying to fix that problem over night. Because it isn't happening unless its Pitino, regardless of the portal.
The first thing i heard about capel and pitt was a rumor a duke assistant was coming to pitt but it was mistook as jon scheyer. People also forget the buyout works both ways. Any team that wants capel will have to pay. The rumors i saw were 12-15 mil last year and 9-12 mil this year. No program is paying that much to get capel from us at this point. He also has built a strong foundation here for the future after this year. Next years team already looks alot more talented than this years team

And this is the whole problem with journalism and rumors. In this article, it says,

Norelander presented it as somewhat of a longshot but something Capel "could" be interested

Capel "could" be interested in the Georgetown job. That isn't from any type of source at all or from Capel or anyone associated with Capel. He is speculating he could be interested. Maybe Capel is, but these people have zero inside information with this stuff. When Jon Rothstein says it, then its believable.

Take what I write for example with regards to recruits.

When I say a recruit could reclassify, that means he has the potential to, but that doesn't mean its going to happen. Its only an option. When I say a recruit is leaning toward reclassifying, then that has a lot more meaning to it.

When the headline reads, Jeff Capel wants the Georgetown job from someone like Jon Rothstein, then you can believe it. Ive watched far too many coaching searches including 2 recently with Pitt to know most people know nothing except floating rumors with speculation with regard to coaching searches.

The first thing i heard about capel and pitt was a rumor a duke assistant was coming to pitt but it was mistook as jon scheyer. People also forget the buyout works both ways. Any team that wants capel will have to pay. The rumors i saw were 12-15 mil last year and 9-12 mil this year. No program is paying that much to get capel from us at this point. He also has built a strong foundation here for the future after this year. Next years team already looks alot more talented than this years team
I can almost guarantee that the buyout for him to leave for another job is substantially less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT