ADVERTISEMENT

Chick Fil-A Drive Thru

What I don't get about Chick Fil-A is it's just chicken.
i mean, it's pretty good but im with you. i am not waiting in a line to get in a lot for any food, fast food, restaurant, whatever. You could be serving me lobster rolls at the last supper with my man Jesus pouring me wine and i dont think im waiting on Washington rd to get into the lot to wait to get a spot to wait and put my order in..

Reactions: xslfyk4
I am just wondering if the popularity of Chick Fil A is something else other than the food. I mean the food is good, but it is not over the top that spectacular. And the portion sizes (because lord knows in Pittsburgh we love our portion sizes) aren't any bigger than anywhere else.

Again, I would stop at Chick Fil A more often but the lines scare me. But sometimes I wonder why those lines are so long. And I think I know.

I am just wondering if the popularity of Chick Fil A is something else other than the food. I mean the food is good, but it is not over the top that spectacular. And the portion sizes (because lord knows in Pittsburgh we love our portion sizes) aren't any bigger than anywhere else.

Again, I would stop at Chick Fil A more often but the lines scare me. But sometimes I wonder why those lines are so long. And I think I know.
you think people wait in long lines over the competitor because the CEO likes God? maybe or maybe not. The customer service thing is ridiculous though. usually i could care less if the person working tells me thanks or now, who cares but damn if those stores arent spot on clean and the people working behind the counters are always really helpful and quick.

Reactions: Farnox and Mikefln
you think people wait in long lines over the competitor because the CEO likes God? maybe or maybe not. The customer service thing is ridiculous though. usually i could care less if the person working tells me thanks or now, who cares but damn if those stores arent spot on clean and the people working behind the counters are always really helpful and quick.
I dunno. I do think people are supporting this (and I have no problem) because most large companies are not faith forward and steer clear of these things, so many people appreciate. And again, I have no problem with this. Because usually places like this get boycotted.

I dunno. I do think people are supporting this (and I have no problem) because most large companies are not faith forward and steer clear of these things, so many people appreciate. And again, I have no problem with this. Because usually places like this get boycotted.
maybe. i can honestly say that my spending habits, especially with food, is not influenced at all by the ceo or company's political views. even if they are way over the top like a starbucks, i'd still go if there coffee didnt completely suck (in my opinion of course).

i mean my little daughter loves their flavored dairy abominations and i'll buy her one of those 8 dollar crap drinks..

What truly confuses me about chick fil a is that they have a place in the food court of a few nfl stadiums yet they arent open on sundays, when nfl games are held 95% of the time. Why pay the money to get into an nfl stadium if you arent open on their biggest days?

While Chick Fil A did benefit in the past from this, I really think people do like their product better. I know liberal Atheist who go regularly because they just like the product from the taste to the customer service. Yes that is anecdotal, but I really do believe Chick Fil A is just hitting the sweet spot for a lot of their customers. Like I said and other mentioned as well, you get in and out faster at Chick Fil A 30 cars deep then you do 6 deep at McDonalds or Wendy's.

Last edited:
You might be onto something, and it probably explains why I love Devil's food cake, Deviled Eggs, Shrimp Diavolo, etc.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I mean I don't know the buying habits of others. If the Taliban had a joint that served great lamb gyros and hummus, I am game. I don't make food/music/entertainment choices based on politics. Of course, I have become fairly agnostic politically so I ain't on one or the other side anymore.

Not really. I am saying they are Alabama (or well....actually Georgia works better here) playing mid-majors. Its no contest. McD/Wendy's/BK, etc have a to fight a half century worth of negativity (their own fault). Chick Fil A came along and just does really good chicken. Its not a comparison. Chick Fil A is #1 sure but my goal wouldn't be just to beat McDonald's, it would be to generate as much revenue as possible. When you need air traffic controllers in your parking lots, that's a sign that maybe you need more locations or your food is too cheap

It is possible that Chic Fil A may have based their model on more than just anecdotal observations though. They probably have teams of MBAs looking at demand curves and running conjoint analysis and focus groups to find their sweet spot. While their product may be premium fast food, it’s still fast food and there is probably a good deal of price sensitivity.

As for adding locations, they run the risk of diluting that premium image, again reinforced by customers waiting in line. Although it might make sense at surge times or during the buzz after opening, it would add higher fixed cost off peak. Way easier and cheaper to use “air traffic controllers” during those peak demand hours and staff less off peak. Some customers may also be turned on by that as visible proof of their customer focus and efficiency.

I think you have bigger issues in the size of a fast food line scares you so much you arent willing to try it. I guess being around people instead of in your mom's basement can do that. stick with the Hardees thats usually empty.
The lines are long because of the good customer service, and consistent quality food. If you believe anything else then you are a fool. People dont make it the top selling franchise by location and and highest customer service rating for six straight years for any other reason.

I think you have bigger issues in the size of a fast food line scares you so much you arent willing to try it. I guess being around people instead of in your mom's basement can do that. stick with the Hardees thats usually empty.
The lines are long because of the good customer service, and consistent quality food. If you believe anything else then you are a fool. People dont make it the top selling franchise by location and and highest customer service rating for six straight years for any other reason.
i like hardees but admittedly havent seen one in over a decade. used to date a girl who lived in bedford and i told her that the best thing about her town was the hardees off the exit in bedford.. she didnt appreciate that comment and shockingly, we arent together anymore..

they had a cheeseburger with texas toast that was great.. i may be the only one out there but Burger King is growing on me. the chicken sandwiches they have, on the longer rolls with sesame seeds, that's decent..

here is a question, why isnt arby's more crowded? They have good fast food, they have multiple sauces that are great as far as sauce options at a fast food option. kinda pricey for fast food but not terrible. Places are always empty.. i'd take an arbys roast beef over any of the crap mcdonalds, wendy's or BK serves up..

i like hardees but admittedly havent seen one in over a decade. used to date a girl who lived in bedford and i told her that the best thing about her town was the hardees off the exit in bedford.. she didnt appreciate that comment and shockingly, we arent together anymore..

they had a cheeseburger with texas toast that was great.. i may be the only one out there but Burger King is growing on me. the chicken sandwiches they have, on the longer rolls with sesame seeds, that's decent..

here is a question, why isnt arby's more crowded? They have good fast food, they have multiple sauces that are great as far as sauce options at a fast food option. kinda pricey for fast food but not terrible. Places are always empty.. i'd take an arbys roast beef over any of the crap mcdonalds, wendy's or BK serves up..
The Frisco Burger at Hardee's is fantastic.

We don't have Chick Fil-A in Johnstown. Our longest lines for fast food appear to be at Arby's and KFC. They don't have much competition.

And I wouldn't call Wendy's crap. The burgers are good, the chili is better and the soda machines that allow you to make your own combination is worth the trip.

Dairy Queen has the best fast food drive thru cheeseburgers. Double cheeseburger, fries, and hot fudge sundae for $6. Back to the chicken discussion - Hotchikn is worth trying if you haven’t yet. A variety of good chicken flavoring and they have good sides as well. Place your order ahead of time and then pick it up from the side counter with no wait.

I don't think most people eat there because of that, but I do think SMF started this thread because of that.

Dairy Queen has the best fast food drive thru cheeseburgers. Double cheeseburger, fries, and hot fudge sundae for $6. Back to the chicken discussion - Hotchikn is worth trying if you haven’t yet. A variety of good chicken flavoring and they have good sides as well. Place your order ahead of time and then pick it up from the side counter with no wait.

I just looked them up. I will give it a try one day. I never heard of them until you commented on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Never heard of it. Locations on Hampton, Oakland and cranberry. Yet another shining example of the south hills getting screwed over.

Sick of you north hills jerks getting everything while I’m stuck in south hills deciding on What terrible pizza chain to choose from.

On website now, looks really good.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Never heard of it. Locations on Hampton, Oakland and cranberry. Yet another shining example of the south hills getting screwed over.

Sick of you north hills jerks getting everything while I’m stuck in south hills deciding on What terrible pizza chain to choose from.

On website now, looks really good.

While I agree South Hills loses out to the North Hills on a lot things, but pizza is not one of them. Why are you ordering from Pizza Chains, they are gross. The South Hills has great independent pizza places and this is one thing the South Hills has over the North Hills. Pittsburgh is actually a very underrated pizza city with many great pizza shops. There is no need to order from a chain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Chris Peak just dropped off a 6-pack of his favorite IPA at SMF's house to thank him for starting this thread, which now has over 2,000 views. This thread has been as busy as a Chick Fil A drive thru!

Hopefully, SMF can step away from his computer and will emerge from the darkness of his basement to bring the beer in that Chris left on his front porch. 🍺

Not only do they make more money....BY A LOT...they do it on 6 days as they are closed on Sunday. Their service is the best in the business both inside and outside. Part of the reason is they pay very well and have a lot of loyalty from their employees...I may be wrong but I believe kids who work their 4 years get college scholarships. The other reason is that the franchise owners are limited to only being able to have 2 or 3 stores and they must be physically in the store working so many hours a week...not like some of these other absentee franchise owners who have no idea what's going on. And lets not forget that their food is generally more expensive than the competition.

And the drive thru IS a well oiled machine.
This is spot on ... and it addresses why I asked SMF what he knew about their franchise requirements. The CFA model is built to get the right operators in the right places and then protect them from cannibalization from other CFA sites. The CFA model is to own the site and equipment. The operator pays rental and high revenue/profit percentages to CFA They want to ensure that EVERY site has maximum revenues. Their official statement is that an operator (they are not called franchisees) can have only one site and it must be his full-time job - no passive investors allowed. There must be some way around that single-site rule, though, as the local operator was linked to the second store that just opened.

Last edited:
This is spot on ... and it addresses why I asked SMF what he knew about their franchise requirements. The CFA model is built to get the right operators in the right places and then protect them from cannibalization from other CFA sites. The CFA model is to own the site and equipment. The operator pays rental and high revenue/profit percentages to CFA They want to ensure that EVERY site has maximum revenues. Their official statement is that an operator (they are not called franchisees) can have only one site and it must be his full-time job - no passive investors allowed. There must be some way around that single-site rule, though, as the the operator was linked to the second store that just opened.
i believe In / Out burger has really stringent franchise requirements as well and could be a big reason why it keeps these restaurants to successful and not flooding the market and decreasing the "brand." I believe they have to be within a certain distance of the distribution site (no east coast locations), etc..

This is spot on ... and it addresses why I asked SMF what he knew about their franchise requirements. The CFA model is built to get the right operators in the right places and then protect them from cannibalization from other CFA sites. The CFA model is to own the site and equipment. The operator pays rental and high revenue/profit percentages to CFA They want to ensure that EVERY site has maximum revenues. Their official statement is that an operator (they are not called franchisees) can have only one site and it must be his full-time job - no passive investors allowed. There must be some way around that single-site rule, though, as the the operator was linked to the second store that just opened.

I remembered reading this back when I was looking at this one Franchise (non food industry) a few years ago. This is from the website Franchise City, that helps people interested in buying Franchises.

We have heard there are a few operators in the system that own a couple of stores but apparently franchisees need to be an owner for over 10 years and have your store in the top 1/3 to be considered.

Chick Fil A clearly protects their product and image by being this stringent with their Franchisee's.

Reactions: NCPitt
It’s just you.

I just read the whole thread, and this is the conclusion I've come to. I visit the CFA drive through fairly often (more than once a month) and at all locations I have found it to be very busy and very well managed. Usually faster than the McDonalds drive through even though twice as busy.

I'm not sure what reason so think it is, but my son loves CFA for no other reasons than flavor. It's nothing special as far as I'm concerned.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight okay Chuckie? Don't go there....

Chris Peak just dropped off a 6-pack of his favorite IPA at SMF's house to thank him for starting this thread, which now has over 2,000 views. This thread has been as busy as a Chick Fil A drive thru!

Hopefully, SMF can step away from his computer and will emerge from the darkness of his basement to bring the beer in that Chris left on his front porch. 🍺
Prolly I.C. Light in 7 oz cans.

Reactions: HOF Coach
believe it happens about once every other year on average. honestly, surprised it doesnt happen more often..
Well, if they DO make Social Engineering a major program, the rate will skyrocket. Oakland traffic & kids with their cranium in their colon are a bad combo.

I went to the CFA on McKnight Rd. Drive thru seemed well run, but more performance art for the optics than anything. I don't think multiple lanes for ordering speeds anything up much, still funnelled into one lane for pickup.

But I don't have much to compare it to, I've only been to a fast food drive thru about 3 or 4 times. On the rare times I eat fast food I prefer to go inside to order and eat. Much more efficient for bitching about the cheese on my sandwich when I specifically said no cheese. I only complain after I receive the correct sandwich, though. Dumb to berate people who are currently in the process of preparing something I'm about to eat. I don't need gastrointestinal difficulties for the following 48 hours.

riverhounds get about what, 2500-3k a game? About what you'd see at a lower level high school football game. There are more people waiting in the drive thru on a given day at a CF than a riverhounds game..

but yeah for them, great win on the PR front..

I do love the absurdity of the premise that they are so busy, successful and profitable that they need a new business model. It's certainly counter-intuitive..........

Just checking back in to if SMF has figured out the Chick fil a drive thru dilemma!
He's working on it now.

20200710arChicfilaLine02-1-1594672414.jpg

I do love the absurdity of the premise that they are so busy, successful and profitable that they need a new business model. It's certainly counter-intuitive..........
Again, I think alot of their success is because of what I posted above, the Riverhounds, and people just sick and tired of having always left causes dominate business plans and decisions and because Chick Fil A has refused to bow down, people are just patronizing them as a reward.

I am not saying this to be critical and in many ways I respect it. Because everything shouldn't be so one sided. But I do think aside from having quality product and service, their "business plan" of being right leaning draws business to them.

Reactions: xslfyk4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT