ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti out as OC

When’s the last time he produced a 5,000 yard passer?
When he was coaching at Eastern Illinois in 2013. I think Jimmy G was his QB.

But Dino's rep is an offensive genius built on the Art Briles school or veer & shoot. At the P5 level, if you aren't at a school that just kills it in recruiting, and don't have the presonel to run it, it's usually a sure fire guarantee of spectacular failure. It usually evolves to some abortion of an offense like Dino has rolled out at SU the last few years.

Kind of ominous to suggest that one of the qualities an OC needs is to fit in with what the team is doing on the other side of the ball.
That’s exactly what my reaction to that was. “fit with what Narduzzi wants to do defensively.”

Are you kidding me? How about hiring a guy who’s only concern is getting the ball across the goal line as many times as possible every game?

That’s exactly what my reaction to that was. “fit with what Narduzzi wants to do defensively.”

Are you kidding me? How about hiring a guy who’s only concern is getting the ball across the goal line as many times as possible every game?
Seriously?

That's a recipe for disaster. Great way to lose the program and become non-competitive.

Where are all these better offensive coordinators for all these teams coming from? Where are they currently employed?

Seriously?

That's a recipe for disaster. Great way to lose the program and become non-competitive.
Right. As opposed to bottom 10 offense and 2-9 records, always the hallmarks of a thriving, robust program.

Your post has the flavor of Narduzzi making himself a national laughingstock by complaining about not running the ball enough after winning 11 games and setting school offense records in 2021. My favorite part of that was that he used the example of a team we beat by 24 points to illustrate his point.

I'll take my chances with guys we wanted in June over guys we had to settle for in December. Any more mindless theories to espouse?
Our offensive coaching staff sucks at recruiting and development .
I’d take my chance with a new staff and the kids they’d bring with them .

Because it works both ways
Which offensive recruits you think are ride or die with Powell or underwood ?
I mean , we fired the OC- so your fears are already in motion .

May as go for actual staff improvement - and not half assing to appease spme
2-3 stars

Our offensive coaching staff sucks at recruiting and development .
I’d take my chance with a new staff and the kids they’d bring with them .

Because it works both ways
Which offensive recruits you think are ride or die with Powell or underwood ?
I mean , we fired the OC- so your fears are already in motion .

May as go for actual staff improvement - and not half assing to appease spme
2-3 stars
More of the assistants on offense will be gone.

Plus he's got someone on the other line about a pair of white walls.
Not a good pull- a great pull.

Joe, we occasionally have our differences on Pitt related topics, but I will never suggest that you’re not a man of exquisite taste.

52fec337-56e2-4818-9f9f-c4e963e97515_text.gif

Franklin has had more, what's the big deal on moving on from someone who isn't performing?
What does Franklin or PSU have to do with anything in this thread?

But now that you brought it up, according to JJ Kitchen, whoever that is, Frankie’s sloppy seconds are on top of the Yabba Dabba Duzzi wishlist.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Dana got fired today in Houston.. He was who I wanted back when Heywood got the job.

I know it won't happen. But, if we ever went "Air Raid," Dana is one of the coaches I've always liked because he was instrumental in developing it and he implements multiple personnel packages unlike some Air Raid traditionalists.

Damn, I'd hire Dana in a second as OC. Think he'd like to beat WVU next year?

Dana got fired today in Houston.. He was who I wanted back when Heywood got the job.

I know it won't happen. But, if we ever went "Air Raid," Dana is one of the coaches I've always liked because he was instrumental in developing it and he implements multiple personnel packages unlike some Air Raid traditionalists.
This would be awesome. Cue The Odd Couple theme.

Right. As opposed to bottom 10 offense and 2-9 records, always the hallmarks of a thriving, robust program.

Your post has the flavor of Narduzzi making himself a national laughingstock by complaining about not running the ball enough after winning 11 games and setting school offense records in 2021. My favorite part of that was that he used the example of a team we beat by 24 points to illustrate his point.
Your post that I responded to seems to indicate that scoring every possession and meshing with Duzz's defense are mutually exclusive. Either that, or that it doesn't matter what style of offense they run, as long as they score a lot of points.

Not true, either way.

It DOES have to mesh with what Pitt does defensively and what they can realistically recruit to on both sides of the ball

What does Franklin or PSU have to do with anything in this thread?

But now that you brought it up, according to JJ Kitchen, whoever that is, Frankie’s sloppy seconds are on top of the Yabba Dabba Duzzi wishlist.

you're the one that seems to think it is a problem that Narduzzi is switching OC again and I'm pointing out that many other coaches do so as well

Franklin has had more, what's the big deal on moving on from someone who isn't performing?
Franklin seems to have a lot of trouble getting decent OC's, but he did fire the SOB he started the season with a few weeks ago and didn't wait for the bitter end. I bet he will wind up replacing that guy sooner than PN does.

Franklin seems to realize that he can be an idiot. PN isn't there yet.

Skewer me for saying this, but I think Babers was a darn good head coach for Syracuse given the awful position Syracuse is in in so far as recruiting is concerned. Its amazing to me that anyone with talent would want to go there. Not fair to judge Babers without taking that into consideration.

When he was coaching at Eastern Illinois in 2013. I think Jimmy G was his QB.

But Dino's rep is an offensive genius built on the Art Briles school or veer & shoot. At the P5 level, if you aren't at a school that just kills it in recruiting, and don't have the presonel to run it, it's usually a sure fire guarantee of spectacular failure. It usually evolves to some abortion of an offense like Dino has rolled out at SU the last few years.

Baylor?

Tenn?

Arkansas?

The only P5 teams that have run the Veer and Shoot have been mid-P5 level programs. And all have killed it offensively running it.

Baylor?

Tenn?

Arkansas?

The only P5 teams that have run the Veer and Shoot have been mid-P5 level programs. And all have killed it offensively running it.
Baylor & Tennessee were cheating their ass off to get talent. Same for Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss.

Others have run it with success scoring
points, but they failed to win games at an acceptable clip because it puts far too much stress on a defense. (see Josh Huepel at Mizzou and UCF)

Dino tried it at SU. Charlie Strong at USF. Tennessee paired that thing way the hell down this year because they don't have the talent to run it effectively.

Reactions: pittbb80
Your post that I responded to seems to indicate that scoring every possession and meshing with Duzz's defense are mutually exclusive. Either that, or that it doesn't matter what style of offense they run, as long as they score a lot of points.

Not true, either way.

It DOES have to mesh with what Pitt does defensively and what they can realistically recruit to on both sides of the ball
Did Whipple’s high scoring offense mesh with “what Pat Narduzzi wants to do defensively?”

What about Canada’s?

I assume what that means is a ball control type of offense. Which is obsolete. Which means grahnd and pahnd, low tempo, huddle up stuff that—and let me emphasize this for you—HAS NOT WORKED AT PITT UNDER THIS COACH. It worked for Kirk Fernetz this year, because he’s a good coach. But it’s never worked well enough to stick with it for Yabba Dabba Dooz. And it never will.

If Slugduzzi and his bush league staff could recruit and coach up the O line, RB, WR and QB positions worth a hot $hit, maybe we could entertain that kind of thing. But he hasn’t, and he can’t, so we shouldn’t.

Score as often and as many as possible. If the D can’t hold up its end, shame on them.

But you also wanted Whipple gone in year 2.
So did your hero Nardummy. And then we saw what it looked like the next year when Pickett leveraged Nardummy into retaining Whipple and letting him run the offense and call the plays the way Whipple wanted to, without Nardummy’s interference.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT