ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti out as OC

If you could guarantee 1 of 2 things, which would you choose for 2024:

a) winning time of possession every week

or

b) scoring 40+ every week but losing TOP most weeke
4 P5 teams average above 40 ppg, none of which play in the ACC. The ACC has only 2 schools in the top 30 of offense scoring.

Now tell me Pitt's likelihood of ever being over 40 ppg. They didn't even do it in 2021.

Pitt offensive touchdowns per game in Pat Narduzzi's 9 seasons:

2021 - 5.0
2016 - 4.92
2022 - 3.3
2020 - 3.09
2015 - 3.08
2018 - 3.0
2017 - 2.75
2023 - 2.25
2019 - 2.15

Go ahead and let’s seem if TOP
Mattered more
I didn't say TDS didn't matter. Neither does Narduzzi.

You seem confused.

Like I said. He isn’t capable of coaching the whole team-
So the idea the OC should consult him on anything is idiotic .
Narduzzi wouldn’t even questions about who the starting QB should be all season - said it wasn’t HIS decision
That’s pathetic
Narduzzi sets the overall strategy of the offense. He admittedly doesn't get involved in the details. Nor should he.

The thing that matters to winning is scoring more than your opponent, not raw scoring.
You are truly the master of the obvious .
So let’s say over 15 minutes pitt possesses it 10 and scores 7 points and their opponent scores 14 in 5 minutes -
Who is more likely to win the Game?

Like I said. He isn’t capable of coaching the whole team-
So the idea the OC should consult him on anything is idiotic .
Narduzzi wouldn’t even questions about who the starting QB should be all season - said it wasn’t HIS decision
That’s pathetic
That statement by Narduzzi was ludicrous. You don't actually believe that bullshit do you?

I thought at the time it was either a cowardly and odd way to distance himself from Cignetti, or a nice way of saying the young guys can't handle the offense.

The thing that matters to winning is scoring more than your opponent, not raw scoring.
Then hopefully if the Steelers can't average more than 16ppg, then they can hold KC or Miami under that if they meet them in the playoffs.

The top 10 P5 teams in TOP and their wins:

Utah
8​
Georgia
12​
West Virginia
8​
Clemson
8​
Florida
5​
Penn St.
10​
NC State
9​
Michigan
12​
Louisville
10​
Miami
7​
Now do top scoring offenses and games won.

TOP is a byproduct of winning and killing clock late in the game. It's not a metric that wins you games. You don't game plan around holding the ball till the last second every snap as a winning strategy.

It's a useless metric.

Defensive minded head coaches want offenses than run the ball control the clock and let the defense rest.

You don’t see many of those types of offenses in 2023 though. Guess Michigan can be labeled as one
There’s a difference between valuing being able to run the ball and being a balanced offense versus being conservative on offense

Almost all of the explosive offenses are able to run the ball effectively. You have to keep the defense honest. But by their very nature explosive plays don’t bleed the clock.

Reactions: TD_6082
There’s a difference between valuing being able to run the ball and being a balanced offense versus being conservative on offense

Almost all of the explosive offenses are able to run the ball effectively. You have to keep the defense honest. But by their very nature explosive plays don’t bleed the clock.
I completely agree, Narduzzi’s opinion of what an offense should do is clearly outdated. Heather Lyke will have to “persuade” Narduzzi to either join the 21st century with regards to the offense or start updating his resume

TOP is a byproduct of winning and killing clock late in the game. It's not a metric that wins you games. You don't game plan around holding the ball till the last second every snap as a winning strategy.

It's a useless metric.
LSU - 9
Oregon - 11
Oklahoma - 10
SMU - 10
USC - 7
Liberty - 12
Memphis - 9
Georgia - 12
Notre Dame - 9
Florida State - 12

Reactions: FireballZ
Tennessee's defense was horrible last year. Vols have modified the offense this year because they don't have the players to run it effectively. They don't always try to push the break neck tempo & they are often content to just rely on the ground game.

but it wasn’t. I already gave you their defensive ranking last year. It was a Top 30 defense. And Top 30 this year as well.

Arkansas’s defense in 2021 was ranked 17th in F+ with Briles running the offense.

You’re just kinda saying random things to fit your preconceived ideas.

In the end, most of these 3* programs have a history of sh*t defenses. The Veer and Shoot didn’t cause bad defenses.

The reason why most of them adopted the Veer and Shoot is because they are 3* talent teams, so need to run an offense that gives them a competitive advantage. So they adopted the V&S before other teams have adopted it.

Also, the r Veer and Shoot is not a “passing” offense, so it’s not about being content to run the ball. It’s an offense designed to force the defense to pick its poison. If that means handing the ball off every single down, then so be it.

4 P5 teams average above 40 ppg, none of which play in the ACC. The ACC has only 2 schools in the top 30 of offense scoring.

Now tell me Pitt's likelihood of ever being over 40 ppg. They didn't even do it in 2021.
Pitt averaged 41.4 in 2021. 40.9 in 2016.

LSU averaged almost 50 in 2019 playing in what is/was by far the toughest league in college football. They were 53rd in TOP. 31 in total D.

They seemed to do OK.

I didn't say TDS didn't matter. Neither does Narduzzi.

You seem confused.
Narduzzi doesn't SAY his team scoring TDs doesn't matter. He just coaches as though it doesn't. He SAYS things like "we need to run the ball more" while referencing a game in which is team beat the opponent by 24 points.

Yeah, but with Narduzzi you have to take all that with a grain of salt. He said this after losing Addison and Pickett, and was after some high profile running back recruits at the time. I think that is almost all of why he said that at the time. If we had a hot shot QB on campus I am certain he would say we need to open it up more have have a passing game
LOL. That's an absurd attempt to apologize for Yabba Dabba Duzzi even by your own lofty standards.

5dr2hr.jpg

The Veer and Shoot didn’t cause bad defenses.
The issue with the Tennessee type offense is it puts a higher emphasis on recruiting and landing more depth along the front 7. This isn't my belief, this is Rodney Gardner's opinion of it. He's been at Tennessee the last 2 seasons. There is nothing wrong with the offense but there is give and take with every offense.
Also, the r Veer and Shoot is not a “passing” offense, so it’s not about being content to run the ball.
That's true but you better have a QB who can physically make some difficult throws.
It’s an offense designed to force the defense to pick its poison.
What offense doesn't force a defense to pick it's poison?

You are truly the master of the obvious .
So let’s say over 15 minutes pitt possesses it 10 and scores 7 points and their opponent scores 14 in 5 minutes -
Your hypotheticals are meaningless.

Then hopefully if the Steelers can't average more than 16ppg, then they can hold KC or Miami under that if they meet them in the playoffs.
Pretty obvious statement.

I don't think they are happy with - nor do they plan to - average 16 ppg, though.

It's a useless metric.
TOP isn't about holding the ball until the last second. Its about sustaining time-consuming drives that end in scores. It allows a team with limited depth on defense, like Pitt, to rest its players.

In what world is this a binary choice? Not mine. Nor Narduzzi's.
Narduzzzi doesn’t give input on offensive play calling or personnel - remember ?
So , much like you - he’s not involved on that side of the ball .

Your logic is flawed .

I completely agree, Narduzzi’s opinion of what an offense should do is clearly outdated. Heather Lyke will have to “persuade” Narduzzi to either join the 21st century with regards to the offense or start updating his resume
Please tell me how Narduzzi's idea of offense differs from UGA, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc. All of them are ball control offenses. They make it work because they have talent. But the idea of their offense is exactly what Narduzzi wants.

TOP isn't about holding the ball until the last second. It’s about sustaining time-consuming drives that end in scores. It allows a team with limited depth on defense, like Pitt, to rest its players.
It’s not about sustaining long drives that end in scores
Is only about possession
That’s the very definition

Pitt does not have limited depth at all on defense .
So it’s a stupid proposition

Want to know where Pitt has the least depth ? Offensive line.
So- why would you want to extend their time and exposure ?
You’re increasing your own liabilities .
Doesn’t make any sense logically

Narduzzi doesn't SAY his team scoring TDs doesn't matter. He just coaches as though it doesn't. He SAYS things like "we need to run the ball more" while referencing a game in which is team beat the opponent by 24 points.
How did he coach the offense when people here claim he has no input?

Which is it? Does he coach the offense or not?

It’s a simple value proposition
You just know your contention that TOP matters as a priority is wrong - so you are ignoring the question
So let’s say over 15 minutes pitt possesses it 10 and scores 14 points and their opponent scores 3 in 5 minutes -

See how this "hypothetical" game is played?

Narduzzzi doesn’t give input on offensive play calling or personnel - remember ?
So , much like you - he’s not involved on that side of the ball .

Your logic is flawed .
You seem confused about the role of a head coach. Not the first time we've seen that, though.

It’s not about sustaining long drives that end in scores
Is only about possession
That’s the very definition

Pitt does not have limited depth at all on defense .
So it’s a stupid proposition

Want to know where Pitt has the least depth ? Offensive line.
So- why would you want to extend their time and exposure ?
You’re increasing your own liabilities .
Doesn’t make any sense logically
You really don't know anything about football, do you?

LOL. That's an absurd attempt to apologize for Yabba Dabba Duzzi even by your own lofty standards.

5dr2hr.jpg

Im not apologizing for him. I think its an obvious lie to court a recruit, which honestly, I dont like at all. Narduzzi is NOT smarter than most people, and when he does things like that to act like he is and it falls totally flat, it is kinda annoying as hell to me.

Time of Possession is a result, not a goal. Typically the byproduct of having a good offense that can sustain drives and a good defense that can get off the field. But no schmuck is trying to build an offense strictly to chase time of possession alone.

In 2022, Tennessee led college football with 46.1 points per game. Their time of possession was 130th - second to last - at 24:52/game. There almost literally couldn't be a more extreme example than that. Are you going to tell me they weren't a successful offense?

Reactions: cashisking884
Im not apologizing for him. I think it’s an obvious lie to court a recruit, which honestly, I dont like at all. Narduzzi is NOT smarter than most people, and when he does things like that to act like he is and it falls totally flat, it is kinda annoying as hell to me.
Dude you’re nuts.

Duzz made his inane comments on an obscure Steelers podcast. There was no calculated effort to influence anyone or any such utter nonsense of that sort. Just his usual diarrhea of the mouth, letting his lips get ahead of his brain, spewing sour grapes, pissing on an ex-employee, his typical MO.

The top 10 P5 teams in TOP and their wins:

Utah
8​
Georgia
12​
West Virginia
8​
Clemson
8​
Florida
5​
Penn St.
10​
NC State
9​
Michigan
12​
Louisville
10​
Miami
7​

If you'd have just extended your list by a couple more teams you would have included Cincinnati, one of the worst P5 teams this season. The second ten would also feature such powerhouses as Minnesota, Stanford and Virginia.

Time of Possession is a result, not a goal. Typically the byproduct of having a good offense that can sustain drives and a good defense that can get off the field. But no schmuck is trying to build an offense strictly to chase time of possession alone.

In 2022, Tennessee led college football with 46.1 points per game. Their time of possession was 130th - second to last - at 24:52/game. There almost literally couldn't be a more extreme example than that. Are you going to tell me they weren't a successful offense?
Someone gets it.

If you'd have just extended your list by a couple more teams you would have included Cincinnati, one of the worst P5 teams this season. The second ten would also feature such powerhouses as Minnesota, Stanford and Virginia.
How about this, then.

The worst 10 P5 teams in TOP and their wins:

Syracuse
6​
Michigan St.
4​
North Carolina
8​
Southern California
7​
Kentucky
7​
Pittsburgh
3​
Colorado
4​
TCU
5​
Ole Miss
10​
Tennessee
5​

The total wins for the best 10 = 89. The total for the worst 10 = 59. For the math-phobic, the best 10 averaged 3 more wins than the worst 10.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
How about this, then.

The worst 10 P5 teams in TOP and their wins:

Syracuse
6​
Michigan St.
4​
North Carolina
8​
Southern California
7​
Kentucky
7​
Pittsburgh
3​
Colorado
4​
TCU
5​
Ole Miss
10​
Tennessee
5​

The total wins for the best 10 = 89. The total for the worst 10 = 39. For the math-phobic, the best 10 averaged 3 more wins than the worst 10.
You should probably check your math.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT