ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti out as OC

Narduzzi doesn't SAY his team scoring TDs doesn't matter. He just coaches as though it doesn't. He SAYS things like "we need to run the ball more" while referencing a game in which is team beat the opponent by 24 points.
Lol. That game was in doubt until the late 3rd quarter, when the defense took the game over.

Don't know why Duzz would want to run the ball against the 123 ranked rushing defense. That's a mystery I'll never understand.

Lol. That game was in doubt until the late 3rd quarter, when the defense took the game over.

Don't know why Duzz would want to run the ball against the 123 ranked rushing defense. That's a mystery I'll never understand.
We ran it more than we we threw it in that game, and averaged less than 3 YPC. . So there’s that. 3 of our TDs were rushing TDs. So there’s that as well.

And then there’s the fact that Wake was held to almost 200 yards less than their average and didn’t score a point after the 1st quarter. So there’s that too.

Your unwavering devotion to this decidedly middling coach is bizarre.

We ran it more than we we threw it in that game, and averaged less than 3 YPC. . So there’s that. 3 of our TDs were rushing TDs. So there’s that as well.

And then there’s the fact that Wake was held to almost 200 yards less than their average and didn’t score a point after the 1st quarter. So there’s that too.

Your unwavering devotion to this decidedly middling coach is bizarre.
No. I'm not a fan of him trashing Whipple publicly. I just think too much is made of it.

And he's correct in that the offensive game plan and some of the play calling, especially in the UVA game were atrocious.

What makes you believe that ANY coach that would come to Pitt could bring in more quality players?

Several reasons.

1. Pitt is now willing to pay to upgrade. This is no longer the same Pitt program that was unwilling to pay competitively for good coaches.They gave Narduzzi a big, fat contract with a nice annual salary. They found money to upgrade facility so players will have everything they could possibly need and recruits will be impressed when visiting. They are even willing to pay good money for talented coordinators:

The problem is that PN hasn’t been good at reeling in the right type of OC– either because he he has no clue what a good one is or none of the really good young ones want to work for an old school coach like him.

2. There are D1 OCs who can both win consistently and reel in talented recruits, but those OCs are not being hired by Pitt Just about every OC at Pitt over the past 40 years has either been mediocre at play-calling or mediocre at recruiting. It’s silly to think it can’t be done.

3. The school now can let NIL deals help reel in key players on need - If a good OC really wants a good player and that player is still on the fence, they can help get an NIL deal in place so they can land a few difference- maker type players (starting with a QB).

Several reasons.

1. Pitt is now willing to pay to upgrade. This is no longer the same Pitt program that was unwilling to pay competitively for good coaches.They gave Narduzzi a big, fat contract with a nice annual salary. They found money to upgrade facility so players will have everything they could possibly need and recruits will be impressed when visiting. They are even willing to pay good money for talented coordinators:

The problem is that PN hasn’t been good at reeling in the right type of OC– either because he he has no clue what a good one is or none of the really good young ones want to work for an old school coach like him.

2. There are D1 OCs who can both win consistently and reel in talented recruits, but those OCs are not being hired by Pitt Just about every OC at Pitt over the past 40 years has either been mediocre at play-calling or mediocre at recruiting. It’s silly to think it can’t be done.

3. The school now can let NIL deals help reel in key players on need - If a good OC really wants a good player and that player is still on the fence, they can help get an NIL deal in place so they can land a few difference- maker type players (starting with a QB).
1. Most of the facility upgrades were donations. Those donations are now focused on NIL , which still doesn't make them competitive with the schools getting the best talent.

The problem with recruiting hasn't been the OC. It is that Pitt doesn't have the reputation needed, a natural recruiting base with sufficient talent, and the NIL to compete.

2. I asked who these OCs are and you give a pat answer "they are out there". Must be the CBD taking effect.

3. The school has never NOT let NIL deals keep players away. This myth just keeps coming from myth-making posters.

The problem with recruiting hasn't been the OC. It is that Pitt doesn't have the reputation needed, a natural recruiting base with sufficient talent, and the NIL to compete.

2. I asked who these OCs are and you give a pat answer "they are out there". Must be the CBD taking effect.

3. The school has never NOT let NIL deals keep players away. This myth just keeps coming from myth-making posters.

Pitt's reputation is fine. The natural recruiting base is fine, although not like it was in the 80's. Classes of 26 & 27 are loaded. Ask Nebraska about a natural recruiting base.

Problem with recruiting is that the recruiting base is shrinking, and the legit P5 talent is also recruited heavily by PSU to the east and ND, OSU to the west, all relatively easy drives from Pittsburgh. Add to that a staff that doesn't seem to have any bulldogs on the recruiting trail, and playing in front of all those empty seats, and that's why you have a recruiting problem.

Also a hostile local media doesn't help matters much. And the ACC still hasn't resonated locally to recruits the way the Big 10 has, even though the ACC can claim more national champs in the past 10 year period.

Pitt's reputation is fine. The natural recruiting base is fine, although not like it was in the 80's. Classes of 26 & 27 are loaded. Ask Nebraska about a natural recruiting base.

Problem with recruiting is that the recruiting base is shrinking, and the legit P5 talent is also recruited heavily by PSU to the east and ND, OSU to the west, all relatively easy drives from Pittsburgh. Add to that a staff that doesn't seem to have any bulldogs on the recruiting trail, and playing in front of all those empty seats, and that's why you have a recruiting problem.

Also a hostile local media doesn't help matters much. And the ACC still hasn't resonated locally to recruits the way the Big 10 has, even though the ACC can claim more national champs in the past 10 year period.
The empty seats, local media, and conference are all part the "reputation" that I mentioned. It has nothing to do with the school. There is simply no buzz with Pitt among top recruits because of factors like those.

The school's reputation is fine. Pitt's football reputation is not fine. Not even close.

Was I wrong about the 3 win difference? How does that work with the numbers in my post? It was obviously a typo and not a math error.

The numbers in your post were obviously wrong. And after someone pointed it out to you you went back and changed it.

But yeah, the "3" and the "5" are right next to each other on the keyboard, so it's easy to see how that was just a typo. And just a mere coincidence that it worked out in your favor. By a lot.

:rolleyes:

1. Most of the facility upgrades were donations. Those donations are now focused on NIL , which still doesn't make them competitive with the schools getting the best talent.

Donations
says the guy sitting on his wallet for decades

The numbers in your post were obviously wrong. And after someone pointed it out to you you went back and changed it.

But yeah, the "3" and the "5" are right next to each other on the keyboard, so it's easy to see how that was just a typo. And just a mere coincidence that it worked out in your favor. By a lot.

:rolleyes:
The 3 was and is right. That means the differential is 30, which makes 59 the right number and not the 39 I typed.

You do seem to math-phobic.

The 3 was and is right. That means the differential is 30, which makes 59 the right number and not the 39 I typed.

You do seem to math-phobic.

You typed a "3". The correct digit is "5". Only in your mind is "39" the same as "59".

I'm so math-phobic that I have no problem adding and understand what numbers mean. You, on the other hand? Not so much.

You typed a "3". The correct digit is "5". Only in your mind is "39" the same as "59".

I'm so math-phobic that I have no problem adding and understand what numbers mean. You, on the other hand? Not so much.
Please explain to me how I got the 3 wins part right if you think I believed the differential was 50. Either you know you're wrong or you can't do math.

Please explain to me how I got the 3 wins part right if you think I believed the differential was 50. Either you know you're wrong or you can't do math.
It’s okay -
The mind goes soft without activity over prolonged periods

Try this exercise to practice
Top 10 scoring offenses wins compared to bottom 10 scoring offense wins

Let me know if the variance is > 3

YOU added 6+4+8+7+7+3+4+5+10+5 and said that equaled 39 wins. Add those numbers up again and tell us if that equals 39 or not.

But of course you now know that it doesn't, because you went back and edited the original post and changed the win total AFTER it was pointed out to you that you screwed up the numbers.

It's OK to say "oops, I screwed the numbers up" instead of pretending that you didn't because you can't admit that you got something so simple wrong.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
YOU added 6+4+8+7+7+3+4+5+10+5 and said that equaled 39 wins. Add those numbers up again and tell us if that equals 39 or not.

But of course you now know that it doesn't, because you went back and edited the original post and changed the win total AFTER it was pointed out to you that you screwed up the numbers.

It's OK to say "oops, I screwed the numbers up" instead of pretending that you didn't because you can't admit that you got something so simple wrong.
I did say oops and admitted I typed the wrong number. Again you failed to explain how I got the important number right - 3 more wins per team - if I truly believed the win total was 39 instead of 59. Of course I fixed my typo. That's one reason the edit function exists.

Look, for some reason you've taken our differences of opinion in the past personally and you're now trying to prove your superiority over a freaking typo. Frankly, you're showing your desperation and making yourself look silly.

I did say oops and admitted I typed the wrong number. Again you failed to explain how I got the important number right - 3 more wins per team - if I truly believed the win total was 39 instead of 59. Of course I fixed my typo. That's one reason the edit function exists.

Look, for some reason you've taken our differences of opinion in the past personally and you're now trying to prove your superiority over a freaking typo. Frankly, you're showing your desperation and making yourself look silly.

You, of all people, saying that someone takes out their differences of opinion personally, shows a stunning lack of self awareness.

You, of all people, saying that someone takes out their differences of opinion personally, shows a stunning lack of self awareness.
I don't take anything personally ... except stupidity. I don't suffer fools gladly.

I guess you admit that I was right, though. You did take personally differences of opinion over kids playing a game. Silliness.

I don't take anything personally ... except stupidity. I don't suffer fools gladly.

I guess you admit that I was right, though. You did take personally differences of opinion over kids playing a game. Silliness.
Does that include mistaking. Adding numbers incorrectly ?

You don’t donate to Pitt, or buying tickets , based on taking something mysterious personally .
So , we now you’re a hypocrite .

What offense doesn't force a defense to pick it's poison?

A classic example would be Leach’s Air Raid.

Down and distance determined playcalling more than defensive alignment.

Leach was notorious for just running his offense as if their wasn’t a defense on the field. He didn’t believe that coverage dictates play call.

The Veer and Shoot would be on the complete opposite end of that spectrum. Where it’s not coming out and trying to do anything. It’s not trying to establish anything. It’s just forcing you to make a decision, and then playing fast so you can substitute and stick with that decision.

A classic example would be Leach’s Air Raid.

Down and distance determined playcalling more than defensive alignment.

Leach was notorious for just running his offense as if their wasn’t a defense on the field. He didn’t believe that coverage dictates play call.

The Veer and Shoot would be on the complete opposite end of that spectrum. Where it’s not coming out and trying to do anything. It’s not trying to establish anything. It’s just forcing you to make a decision, and then playing fast so you can substitute and stick with that decision.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say down/distance was the primary driver of play calling in Leach's system. If was seeing a 7 man box and zero on the back end, I bet he's either throwing the ball down field or he's trying to get his RB out on a swing pass.

If you're talking the Air Raid in general, at least Dana and Lincoln both use box #'s to generally guide their playcalling.

Simple Air Raid play calling equation

7 man front - throw the ball
6 man front - throw the ball or run option scheme (IZ, GT, Power Read, Pin/Pull, etc)
5 man front - run the ball

I got this from Dana years ago and he stole it from Urban Myer. This is basically 10/20 personnel though.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say down/distance was the primary driver of play calling in Leach's system. If was seeing a 7 man box and zero on the back end, I bet he's either throwing the ball down field or he's trying to get his RB out on a swing pass.

If you're talking the Air Raid in general, at least Dana and Lincoln both use box #'s to generally guide their playcalling.

Simple Air Raid play calling equation

7 man front - throw the ball
6 man front - throw the ball or run option scheme (IZ, GT, Power Read, Pin/Pull, etc)
5 man front - run the ball

I got this from Dana years ago and he stole it from Urban Myer. This is basically 10/20 personnel though.

I would agree that Leach’s disciples used leverage to determine play calling more than Leach did.

Graham Harrell has specifically stated at times one of the major differences between his Air Raid and the one he learned under Leach was coverage vs play call.

That’s why I made it a point to say Leach’s.

But the Air Raid in general, at its heart, is not a offense designed to leverage defense.

It’s closer to a west coast mechanical clockwork offense, where everything is about timing and crispness of execution, and whatever you throw at us, does not matter. Compared to the Veer and Shoot.

I don’t get it Joe, why are you continuing to jump all over him and press a point that it appears you are wrong on.

I’d have to agree with NCPitt from just looking at the #’s, how did he have the 30 pts/3 win differential correct if him writing 39 instead of 58 wasn’t just a typo?

I know my fat fingers make typos all the time typing in these small cell phone keypads.

I don’t get it Joe, why are you continuing to jump all over him and press a point that it appears you are wrong on.

I’d have to agree with NCPitt from just looking at the #’s, how did he have the 30 pts/3 win differential correct if him writing 39 instead of 58 wasn’t just a typo?

I know my fat fingers make typos all the time typing in these small cell phone keypads.

Because all he had to say was, hey, I screwed that up, let me go back and fix it. But instead he made a smart-assed comment about people being math-phobic. AFTER he changed the post that he got the math wrong in.

If you are going to call someone (and for the record, it wasn't me), math phobic don't you think it's kind of important to have actually gotten the math correct in the post that you are mocking the person for responding to?

But you don't make it personal.

I'd say you were dumber than a box of rocks, but I don't want to make it personal for the rocks.
He also has this hugely personal reason why he won’t buy tickets or donate to pitt

But it’s simply a mystery -
Rather just saying the simple truth - he doesn’t actually care
Just here to shit post

Because all he had to say was, hey, I screwed that up, let me go back and fix it. But instead he made a smart-assed comment about people being math-phobic. AFTER he changed the post that he got the math wrong in.

If you are going to call someone (and for the record, it wasn't me), math phobic don't you think it's kind of important to have actually gotten the math correct in the post that you are mocking the person for responding to?
I guess I’m just not seeing it. Saw a post where he admitted that he had a typo and fixed it.

Reactions: NCPitt
But you don't make it personal.

I'd say you were dumber than a box of rocks, but I don't want to make it personal for the rocks.
Nothing personal about that. His post was stupid. I said that I don't suffer fools gladly. Hence, his post was clown world.

Nothing personal about that. His post was stupid. I said that I don't suffer fools gladly. Hence, his post was clown world.

So if calling a someone's post stupid is not making it personal if the post was stupid, then how is calling a poster stupid when they are stupid personal?

And let's face it, the reason you don't suffer fools gladly is because you'd like to keep that space for yourself.

He also has this hugely personal reason why he won’t buy tickets or donate to pitt

But it’s simply a mystery -
Rather just saying the simple truth - he doesn’t actually care
Just here to shit post
Yeah, I don't buy tickets because its a 3-day trip. I've said this multiple times. Its no secret.

I also have stated in the past why I don't contribute to Pitt. Its the same reason that I don't donate to any woke organization. They did nothing personal to me so I couldn't take anything they did personally. I just choose to give my donations to groups that align with my priorities like my church and local parks. Again, no secrets.

But its not surprising that you're trying to pile on. You, like Joe, have taken things personally because I thoroughly embarrassed you in the Locker Room. Keep making a fool of yourself, though. Its fun to watch.

So if calling a someone's post stupid is not making it personal if the post was stupid, then how is calling a poster stupid when they are stupid personal?

And let's face it, the reason you don't suffer fools gladly is because you'd like to keep that space for yourself.
I didn't take it personally. That was what I said. You keep struggling with English as well as math.

I don't take your insults personally, though. You seem to be easily offended, Karen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT