ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti will decide - WTH?

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010

“It’s not surprising that Narduzzi is more hands-on with the defense. But it certainly is concerning that in the midst of such a poor stretch of play, he’s only spending 15% of his time with that unit. He’s the head coach, not the defensive coordinator.

It’s clear that Pitt needs a change, even if it’s just to provide a spark to a stagnant, underperforming offense, but it appears as though that will only happen if Cignetti decides to do so. Not Narduzzi.”

Incredible….

• Haha
Reactions: NittanyJoel
I mean, if he doesn't make a change, he will get fired at the end of year.... Can't say he was not warned when they win 1 or 2 more games with PJ.

• Haha
Reactions: TheFormula

“It’s not surprising that Narduzzi is more hands-on with the defense. But it certainly is concerning that in the midst of such a poor stretch of play, he’s only spending 15% of his time with that unit. He’s the head coach, not the defensive coordinator.

It’s clear that Pitt needs a change, even if it’s just to provide a spark to a stagnant, underperforming offense, but it appears as though that will only happen if Cignetti decides to do so. Not Narduzzi.”

Incredible….
I wouldn't worry too much about it. For context, there was also this:

"Narduzzi said that there will be more competition and evaluation this week in practice"

I think they are going to have one, if not both of the other guys ready to go as soon as things start to go sour again.

I mean, if he doesn't make a change, he will get fired at the end of year.... Can't say he was not warned when they win 1 or 2 more games with PJ.
Does any even remotely think there is any chance of PN getting fired at the end of the year aside from some scandal occurring between now and then.

He won the ACC 2 years ago. Even if we go 1-11, he has a 0% chance of getting fired in December.

I mean, those guys know better. I don’t sit in there. I spend 85% of my time in the defensive side of the room. In practice, I spend probably 85% of my time watching them because I know I’m going to watch it with the defense and watch it with the offense and making sure we’re getting what we need out there and seeing what the tempo of the practice is.

That admission alone should cause Heather to start looking for the next head coach ASAP.

Reactions: 303vND and cease10
Does any even remotely think there is any chance of PN getting fired at the end of the year aside from some scandal occurring between now and then.

No. He's under contract until 2023 and just won 20 games in two seasons.

I do think there's a less than 0% chance he ends up at Michigan State, though. Stuff is just starting to feel a little weird around here. And he has to be looking at that QB room and wondering how he's going to win with it. Of course the interest has to go both ways, also.

Reactions: cashisking884
I mean, those guys know better. I don’t sit in there. I spend 85% of my time in the defensive side of the room. In practice, I spend probably 85% of my time watching them because I know I’m going to watch it with the defense and watch it with the offense and making sure we’re getting what we need out there and seeing what the tempo of the practice is.

That admission alone should cause Heather to start looking for the next head coach ASAP.
That's very troubling admission for a Head Coach especially when your offense is horrible.

Reactions: 303vND

It wouldn’t bother me too much if he didn’t like to run out productive OCs

I think he would have to post three consecutive losing seasons before being on the hot seat in 2026. Unless these losing seasons were like 2-10/3-9 bad.
it would take two 3-9 seasons in a row for the seat to warm in the 3rd season. And even then a 7-5 would save the day in season 3. It would take at least 4 Chryst seasons for season 5 to be slightly warm.

I think he would have to post three consecutive losing seasons before being on the hot seat in 2026. Unless these losing seasons were like 2-10/3-9 bad.

There would be multiple assistant coaching overhauls before we considering letting go of Narduzzi.

I think something like
4-8
5-7
6-6

could get him fired after 2025. That would be 4 seasons out of 9 at .500 or below.

I think something like
4-8
5-7
6-6

could get him fired after 2025. That would be 4 seasons out of 9 at .500 or below.

That especially wouldn't get him fired, because it shows upward trajectory and making a bowl after two years of lowering expectations. We're not going to pay over $30M to part with that. We couldn't if we wanted to.

He won the ACC 2 years ago. Even if we go 1-11, he has a 0% chance of getting fired in December.
Winning the ACC 2 years ago means nothing today. I’m so sick and tired of people throwing that in peoples faces. It should also be noted Narduzzi lost his NY6 bowl and is 10-8 since Pickett declared for the NFL.

Winning the ACC 2 years ago means nothing today. I’m so sick and tired of people throwing that in peoples faces. It should also be noted Narduzzi lost his NY6 bowl and is 10-8 since Pickett declared for the NFL.
More than a few on this board alarmingly posted that the excellent 2021 season (and it was…by our standards) gave Pitt and Duz a perfect right to coast (aka, stink) for several years.

Meanwhile… An excellent season in college football for a heretofore ‘forlorn’ program gives a near-priceless opportunity to capitalize on and leverage to build momentum and improve.

That’s what the materials I received imploring me to up my donations after that season said, anyway. (Which I did).

I guess I should have just coasted.

I’d agree with your sentiment here, terrible for any HC to admit they spend 85% of their time with one side of the ball, terrible for him to be comfortable even admitting it in public.

But again, we all know his seat isn’t remotely getting hot or lukewarm.

I count 10-7, not that it changes much. Either way, it's just the reality of the situation. Firing a coach in this day and age means starting over more than it used to, because at least half the team will bolt to the portal. But beyond that, he has seven years left on his contract after this one. And he pulled in close to $6M last season, I believe. Assuming just a conservative incremental increase, we're looking at $45M. There are programs way ahead of Pitt that wouldn't eat that. We let Capel make Kevin Stallings look like John Wooden for a few years because we didn't want to pay like half of that. Narduzzi is safe for this season and at least three more after it, in my opinion.

Narduzzis recent comments make me think a change is coming and he's doing his typical gamesmanship to make UNC prepare for Jurkovec.

Reactions: USN_Panther
The guy should not be on a hot seat for merely being 1-2 or even if he ends 3-9 or such. If he tried everything he could to win, whatever concoctions of players and game plans, but it just didn’t work most of the time, you can accept it.

But if it is because this insane, borderline mentally ill insistence to stick with Jurkovec… the clock certainly begins ticking. That is a classic sign of a banana republic dictator when absolute power starts to drive him mad. It usually has to end in an assassination*.

*Let me assure that I don’t necessarily advocate this particular action on Narduzzi…at this time. Check with me Sunday though

That especially wouldn't get him fired, because it shows upward trajectory and making a bowl after two years of lowering expectations. We're not going to pay over $30M to part with that. We couldn't if we wanted to.

It might not. I think it would though. 3 straight bad seasons. 6-6 is bad because its really 5-6 + the FCS scrimmage.

I count 10-7, not that it changes much. Either way, it's just the reality of the situation. Firing a coach in this day and age means starting over more than it used to, because at least half the team will bolt to the portal. But beyond that, he has seven years left on his contract after this one. And he pulled in close to $6M last season, I believe. Assuming just a conservative incremental increase, we're looking at $45M. There are programs way ahead of Pitt that wouldn't eat that. We let Capel make Kevin Stallings look like John Wooden for a few years because we didn't want to pay like half of that. Narduzzi is safe for this season and at least three more after it, in my opinion.
Oops…7, you’re correct. My bad.

Narduzzis recent comments make me think a change is coming and he's doing his typical gamesmanship to make UNC prepare for Jurkovec.
This might be it. Evil genius level stuff. UNC prepares to run blitz all game. Yarney and five wides come out and Pitt throws for 800 yards and 7 TDs. Duzz is a genius after all!

It's ok, you were already counting the UNC game as a loss, mentally.

Losing an exhibition game in Atlanta without Pickett means nothing.
Definition of an exhibition game:

an unofficial game played under regular game conditions between teams, usually as a part of preseason training or as a fund-raising event.”

Bowl games does not meet this criteria…

* it is an official game. That means it counts. It effects the W/L column and ranking at the end of the season…

* it is a not a preseason or a fund raiser..

Stop referring to bowl games as an exhibition game…

Reactions: Jeffburgh

Some day y'all will understand what gets repeated every year - the assistant coach in charge of the unit makes the call about who plays.

Whether you like it or not.

Some day y'all will understand what gets repeated every year - the assistant coach in charge of the unit makes the call about who plays.

The better head coaches have their hands all over every aspect of their programs. They delegate and don’t interfere with the day to day work of their coordinators unless it’s becomes necessary. But they are heavily engaged in all aspects. Offense, defense, special teams.

Reactions: Will K
The better head coaches have their hands all over every aspect of their programs. They delegate and don’t interfere with the day to day work of their coordinators unless it’s becomes necessary. But they are heavily engaged in all aspects. Offense, defense, special teams.
And of course they can (and do) decide who the starting QB is, or if they want a change.

Incredible….
$5.78 mil a year and no accountability

Reactions: GregInPitt

So he’s a waste of $5.78mil a year as a part time coach

So does Narduzzi. He sets the standard for the kind of offense he wants. He has input on the gameplan. Then he lets the experts develop and run it every week. That much is public knowledge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT