ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is a mess

Top players at most schools were almost always being given something. Do you want to the difference between SEC football and ACC football? Prior to NIL, it was uncommon for if you weren't getting compensated under the table in the SEC. And, I'm talking backups.

When you say "most" are in it for the education, let me give you a summary of what a coach at West Point told me just 3 years ago. We were talking about the types of kids who make it at West Point and those who struggle in terms of football. He said point blank - "the kids who love the academy and academy life, are usually the kids that don't see the field and are not difference makers." "The kids who saw WP as their best option for football and just want to play football are the ones that are our best player more times then not."

Most kids are not initially picking a school for the "education." They're picking a college because they think they're going to the NFL. One of the most common questions I've seen college coaches ask recruits is what are your goals and most of these D1 kids say "NFL." As a matter of fact, it's a turnoff to coaches if they don't get that response. And, I'm not saying every college is like this. Obviously, schools like Stanford, Vandy, NW, etc are a bit different.

Do you know why PITT and other schools graduate kids at a high clip? Unless the kid is a complete turd - gets in trouble, never shows up to class, etc - it's almost impossible to not graduate. These kids have every damn resource available to them and are often times forced to use them. The majority of power 5 athletes are not majoring in the hard sciences, engineering, pre-med, etc.. Why? Because they have a full time job called sports.
Your first paragraph is a reiteration of my statement. Thanks.

I love your excuses about why kids graduate with degrees. LOL

And what if they did eventually make the players employees, and you'd have the school paying the whole roster, and it was a Super League or something, and say a large number of FBS schools INCLUDING YOURS, decide, no we're dropping football or going D3 and not going along with this, do you have interest in this league if your school is done with it, do you pick Bama or Michigan as your team? Do fans and alumni who spent a lifetime rooting for their school, pick some other team to root for? As I've said a million times, me I'm out at that point, I'll follow Pitt still, if they even have a team, I'll watch them play CMU or Muhlenberg instead of buying a Bama sweatshirt and yelling Roll Tide :)
You seem to completely miss the point. I don't care if the school pays STUDENT-athletes. I will still root for them because they represent Pitt as STUDENT-athletes. The post to which I replied didn't want STUDENT-athletes. It wanted players unaffiliated with Pitt to be paid by Pitt with a Pitt name on their jersey. I have zero interest in such a scheme. It would be like rooting form the Pitt janitors.

So you're not really watching Pitt football because it's part of the University of Pittsburgh, but because it's the highest level below NFL?
I am watching Pitt football because I am an alumnus and fan of FBS college football.

Let me know when a buyout or contract stopped a coach who wants to leave , leave
What's your point? Alabama is paying Washington a $12 Million buyout, as per the terms of the contract. UW apparently felt that was adequate compensation to allow him to leave.

You both are essentially saying take the Pittsburgh Maulers and rebrand them with the University of Pittsburgh Maulers/Panthers. Minor league professional football. even affiliated with a school, is still minor league football. I and many fans would have zero interest in that concept.
It has essentially been minor league pro football for awhile, except the NFL has a salary cap and contracts.

I know tell me something new right ?

Was talking to a buddy and there’s a rumor that Smart may take the Atlanta Job. It appears the era of NIL has made the job that much harder for even elite schools like Bama Michigan and Georgia.

I’ve also heard that kids are demanding 5k just to go take an official visit.

College football has always been dirty. But when it was under the table the elite schools had a huge advantage. Now managing a roster is near impossible with the transfer rule and Nil. I think that’s why Saban called it quits and is why Harbaugh who on the surface has it made at Michigan is likely to walk

Should be an interesting off season between the pros and college ranks in terms of coaching moves
Thank God your buddy has the inside scoop on something that would never ever happen. Lol.

Saban even said NIL wasn’t an issue and that it is the new landscape and coaches shouldn‘t whine about it.

If a ten dollar item at the store seems to be the same as the $1000 item,I typically purchase the ten dollar item. So good to see kids putting a price tag on their value. Schools can make the consumers decision as to whether they are really interested or just stringing a kid a long.

Harbaugh will walk because he has nothing left to prove. Not because of NIL or anything else.

College football is in transition. Only the whining bitches think it’s a mess.

If a ten dollar item at the store seems to be the same as the $1000 item,I typically purchase the ten dollar item. So good to see kids putting a price tag on their value. Schools can make the consumers decision as to whether they are really interested or just stringing a kid a long.

College football is in transition. Only the whining bitches think it’s a mess.
Congrats. That’s the dumbest most incoherent example posted on this board.

Yeah college football is not a mess. All is well Lol

Are you saying that players should not be allowed to move after the coach they agreed to play for leaves?

Ridiculous.

Are you saying that players should not be allowed to move after the coach they agreed to play for leaves?

Ridiculous.
I get your point, but technically the kid signs with the school, not the coach.

But, all that is moot now with the immediate eligibility rule and free transfer policy.

I get your point, but technically the kid signs with the school, not the coach.

But, all that is moot now with the immediate eligibility rule and free transfer policy.
I am truly wondering if these kids even step into a classroom. I mean academics and power football have been farcical for the most part. But now, these kids don't commit to a "school" at all. Think about this moving forward, these alumni pro athletes who help donate and recruit, who are they not pledging their allegiance too? These players have become more mercenary than the coaches. It's such a joke. I know this is an old man yelling at clouds statement, but it is still a team sport. If these players want to be individuals, go golf (though now we see that crashing).

I am a capitalist, but this society is collapsing because too many people's goals are to make as money as possible.

Ridiculous.
Wait aren’t you the guy who roots for the STUDENT athletes ? So are these guys Students or semi pro players / athletic mercenaries

I am truly wondering if these kids even step into a classroom. I mean academics and power football have been farcical for the most part. But now, these kids don't commit to a "school" at all. Think about this moving forward, these alumni pro athletes who help donate and recruit, who are they not pledging their allegiance too? These players have become more mercenary than the coaches. It's such a joke. I know this is an old man yelling at clouds statement, but it is still a team sport. If these players want to be individuals, go golf (though now we see that crashing).

I am a capitalist, but this society is collapsing because too many people's goals are to make as money as possible.
Most of the top players have never been students. By and large the degrees they get are worthless

A client of mine went to Wyoming with Josh Allen. He’s an engineer. The SC coach basically told him you’re not here to go to school. You’re here to play football He wasn’t a scrub either. He was in line to start the next year. He was one of the few that was there for the education so he quit because he couldn’t get an engineering degree and play football

This is one of those unique threads where everyone is arguing, but everyone is right in some way.

Not only make as much money as possible, which is OK, but trample whomever and whatever to get there. That, to me, is the bigger problem. Take no prisoners in your zeal to acquire as much money as humanly possible, and if there is a human cost to somewhat else, so be it. That's the biggest change in society, to me. There is total disregard for the other guy. And I say/observe that as someone who has done very well. We are already seeing the fraying of society because of this attitude, and it's just going to get worse.

Do tell?? Really long time??? Nope.

So you don't think that someone like Tony Dorsett went to Pitt because of Johnny Majors and not because he really wanted a Pitt education, and that he would have gone to Pitt even if Carl Depasqua was still Pitt's coach?

You can't be that naive.

So you don't think that someone like Tony Dorsett went to Pitt because of Johnny Majors and not because he really wanted a Pitt education, and that he would have gone to Pitt even if Carl Depasqua was still Pitt's coach?

You can't be that naive.
I never said that, or implied that.
I was referring to the "policy".
Until a few years ago, if a coach resigned or changed schools, once a player signed the letter of intent, he was stuck there.

The contract they sign was with the school, not the coach.
That is what I was saying and it is 100% correct.

I never said that, or implied that.
I was referring to the "policy".
Until a few years ago, if a coach resigned or changed schools, once a player signed the letter of intent, he was stuck there.

The contract they sign was with the school, not the coach.
That is what I was saying and it is 100% correct.

Well yeah, like I said, that's always been the line that the people who kept all the money told everyone. But just because they said that didn't mean that it was true.

I mean for years they sold the BS that you had to sit out a year after transferring because people needed a full year to adjust academically to their new school. In reality, it was always a way to put limits on the players and to protect the institutions and had nothing at all to do with what they told you it was for.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Wait aren’t you the guy who roots for the STUDENT athletes ? So are these guys Students or semi pro players / athletic mercenaries
They are student-athletes who have an interest in pursuing the best path to their future. Some consider pro football as their future and will pursue that path by choosing a coach/school that best meets their hopes. Others, often with strong parental influence, will look for the educational aspects. Those that ignore the realities of making it as a professional and ignore the education will suffer the consequences over the long haul.

As a fan, I don't like the unknowns from year-to-year. As a free-market supporter, I support their right to move as they see fit, just as any other student or employee can do.

But, as long they attend classes and progress toward a degree, I refuse to label them semi-pro or mercenaries with the exception of very few - like those with 4 or more transfers.

Well yeah, like I said, that's always been the line that the people who kept all the money told everyone. But just because they said that didn't mean that it was true.

I mean for years they sold the BS that you had to sit out a year after transferring because people needed a full year to adjust academically to their new school. In reality, it was always a way to put limits on the players and to protect the institutions and had nothing at all to do with what they told you it was for.
I don't disagree with any of that, but the fact remains that was the rule, not some kind of line.

It was impossible for a kid to transfer without penalty if his coach bugged out.
CFB was indentured servitude for a long time.
Finally the obscene amounts of $$ generated and hoarded became too huge for the players to ignore.

You say it’s a mess and literally site rumor and innuendo. Do better.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
They are student-athletes who have an interest in pursuing the best path to their future. Some consider pro football as their future and will pursue that path by choosing a coach/school that best meets their hopes. Others, often with strong parental influence, will look for the educational aspects. Those that ignore the realities of making it as a professional and ignore the education will suffer the consequences over the long haul.

As a fan, I don't like the unknowns from year-to-year. As a free-market supporter, I support their right to move as they see fit, just as any other student or employee can do.

But, as long they attend classes and progress toward a degree, I refuse to label them semi-pro or mercenaries with the exception of very few - like those with 4 or more transfers.
The perfect solution is a system that provides 2 separate paths.
One would be the old way, the one we grew up with and support.
The one where athletes play for their school and are provided with a scholarship, room and board and a stipend to cover nominal expenses. The kids who value education and use their athletic prowess to finance that education would roost here.

The other would be an NFL farm system where the athlete signs with an NFL team and toils in their farm system until deemed ready to compete in the NFL.

The quality of play in the CFB model may not be up to current standards, but all things being relative, it would be competitive.

Face it, some of the athletes go to college because it is their only realistic path to being a professional. They have no interest in going to class or getting a degree, which is fine.

Scheming and plotting to keep these kids in meaningless classes just so they are eligible to play is blatant hypocrisy.

The obscene amount of $$ pouring into colleges and conferences is totally intoxicating to these institutions though, and they are more than happy to continue to distort the student/athlete myth as long as possible to keep the $$ flowing in.

This system works for baseball and hockey, and to a lesser extent the NBA. Only the NFL is getting off scott free in this current system.

Reactions: NCPitt
What's your point? Alabama is paying Washington a $12 Million buyout, as per the terms of the contract. UW apparently felt that was adequate compensation to allow him to leave.
Who is paying the buyout ? It’s not DaBoer?
Did DaBoer leave for more money and a better job ?
Thanks for proving MY point
The coaches are free agents

You seem to completely miss the point. I don't care if the school pays STUDENT-athletes. I will still root for them because they represent Pitt as STUDENT-athletes. The post to which I replied didn't want STUDENT-athletes. It wanted players unaffiliated with Pitt to be paid by Pitt with a Pitt name on their jersey. I have zero interest in such a scheme. It would be like rooting form the Pitt janitors.
Whether you watch or not doesn’t matter (you will)

We root for the laundry - not the players .

But he doesn’t -
If was the players he’d root for them at their new school

It’s always the laundry , just like everyone else

I don't understand what you are arguing here?
There is a contract between the coach and the school.
A contingency in that contract covers the circumstances that must be met in order for the coach to leave.
It is usually a buyout or penalty that must be paid to satisfy the contingency, and break the contract.
If written properly, it is binding, and must be satisfied.
Sometimes there are negotiations which limit the payment, but rarely if ever can it be ignored.

Reactions: NCPitt
The perfect solution is a system that provides 2 separate paths.
One would be the old way, the one we grew up with and support.
The one where athletes play for their school and are provided with a scholarship, room and board and a stipend to cover nominal expenses. The kids who value education and use their athletic prowess to finance that education would roost here.

The other would be an NFL farm system where the athlete signs with an NFL team and toils in their farm system until deemed ready to compete in the NFL.

The quality of play in the CFB model may not be up to current standards, but all things being relative, it would be competitive.

Face it, some of the athletes go to college because it is their only realistic path to being a professional. They have no interest in going to class or getting a degree, which is fine.

Scheming and plotting to keep these kids in meaningless classes just so they are eligible to play is blatant hypocrisy.

The obscene amount of $$ pouring into colleges and conferences is totally intoxicating to these institutions though, and they are more than happy to continue to distort the student/athlete myth as long as possible to keep the $$ flowing in.

This system works for baseball and hockey, and to a lesser extent the NBA. Only the NFL is getting off scott free in this current system.
I agree.

Your point remains one of ignorance. Washington got exactly what it wanted when it signed the contract. It said to DeBoer "you can leave with our blessing as long as we get paid $12 million". That payment is the antithesis of a "free agent".

I don't understand what you are arguing here?
There is a contract between the coach and the school.
A contingency in that contract covers the circumstances that must be met in order for the coach to leave.
It is usually a buyout or penalty that must be paid to satisfy the contingency, and break the contract.
If written properly, it is binding, and must be satisfied.
Sometimes there are negotiations which limit the payment, but rarely if ever can it be ignored.
So you also agree the coach is free to move , despite their contract
And no coach who wants to leave will stay because of a contract with a former team .
Just like I said .

I don’t give a crap what schools negotiate .
Coach will leave at anytime .
Players should have the same standard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT