ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is a mess

Agree but the NFL is never going to give up their free minor league system And by the way since many kids would go the minor league route the talent pool for college would be much lower essentially making it the equivalent of FCS football. Some (not you) have said they’d never watch it. Lol.

A hybrid system would be to either give kids the option or cash or room and board. I just don’t see the point in making a kid whose only interest is in football get a worthless degree Maybe you allow the kids to be signed by the NFL and retain their rights for a few years to help provide the kid some cash as well.

You can still have transfers but any school that signs a kid who transfers has to pay a buyout just like coach’s. So the kids would have contracts and buy outs. Not perfect but would certainly slow down the free for all
Silliness. And you think college FB is a mess now.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
Why in the world would the NFL create a farm system? They don't want to spend that kind of money.

If the NFL would create a minor league system (which I think is impossible as I mention) then, with respect to your idea for the "old way," I'd be okay if they went even a step further and eliminated the athletic scholarships and made the kid have to pay to go to school. Then maybe they'd take the schooling a bit more seriously. The colleges can continue to have favorable admission slots for athletes and all that, but make them pay their way.
Baseball and hockey do it.
Colleges are primarily for education, so there's that.....

Cam Ward just announced he is pulling his name from the draft and is coming back to college. The Ohio State rusher, who everybody had going pro, is coming back.

NIL is more equally dispersing talent.

It’s weakening the monopoly the same 2 to 3 teams have on the sport where they take turns just destroying everybody else.

It’s causing elite talents to come back for another year instead of going pro.

And all of this is bad?
Where it is going to be especially good is college BB. There are going to be far fewer 1 and dones, and while the blue bloods always have the edge, no longer will 4-5 of the top 25 kids sign with Duke or Kentucky year after year. Because those schools will now bring in experienced guys from the portal so kids will go elsewhere. Big spenders in the SEC are really going to benefit. But these guys and we see it now especially with low post guys who have been devalued by the NBA, it makes sense to stay in school for 4-5 years of payout. Or kids going to Europe or the D League, now will stay in college, because what also doesn't seem to matter much is eligibility.

A&M just paid $77 million to fire their coach. I fail to see these buyouts as impediments to the top 25 programs.
LOL. Impediments can be overcome. Otherwise they would be called something else like "impossibles". It is still an impediment.

And we are kind of heading there or are close to there, aren't we? Just these "minor league" teams have always been emotionally attached to a school. Right? Even here, how many Pitt fans on here never went to Pitt??

That's the problem, this 100 years of Notre Dame or Alabama or Michigan tradition. Where if these were minor league teams called the South Bend Saints or Tuscaloosa Titans or Ann Arbor Angels, it falls on the same interest as Fort Wayne in the D League or the Durham Bulls or baseball or the Wilkes Barre Scranton Pens. There are no national TV contracts to this. And even though the better talent might be in these leagues, the colleges will have more interest TV wise. I mean if the Adirondack Red Wings are playing the Hershey Bears or Boston College is playing Michigan in hockey, who is likely to be on a cable broadcast station?
I never went to Pitt unless you count one marketing course that I cross registered. Technically that loosely makes me a Pitt alum (one who attended, per the dictionary), but try telling that to the alumni association. So no, I didn’t go to Pitt but I am a Pitt fan.

So HE , as I said - is a free agent to leave for another job .
As I was driving to church this morning, I thought of something that maybe even you can grasp.

Is Sidney Crosby a free agent?

Of course not. Because he has a contract with the Penguins. But he could go to another team as long as his contract terms are met and the other team agrees to compensation agreeable to the Penguins.

That is exactly like college FB coaches. They have a contract with their school. They can go to another school as long as the contract terms are met and the other school agrees to the compensation (generally in the contract).

Neither Crosby nor the coach incurs a cost in the move, a point you continually raise. But neither are free agents due to the contractual impediments.

Where it is going to be especially good is college BB. There are going to be far fewer 1 and dones, and while the blue bloods always have the edge, no longer will 4-5 of the top 25 kids sign with Duke or Kentucky year after year. Because those schools will now bring in experienced guys from the portal so kids will go elsewhere. Big spenders in the SEC are really going to benefit. But these guys and we see it now especially with low post guys who have been devalued by the NBA, it makes sense to stay in school for 4-5 years of payout. Or kids going to Europe or the D League, now will stay in college, because what also doesn't seem to matter much is eligibility.

Right.

College sports are at their best when:

1. Your superstars are staying for as long as possible.

2. You have a greater assortment of legit national title contenders each year, even if you have some consistent contenders.

NIL is giving us that.

I think the problem a lot of people have with NIL isn’t that it isn’t helping the sport, but that it’s not helping *my* team. What do I care if it weakens Alabama and turns Ole Miss into a national title contender? I don’t cheer for the Rebels. What do I care if Missouri is now getting 5* recruits, I don’t cheer for Missouri.

Baseball and hockey do it.
Colleges are primarily for education, so there's that.....
I promise you, if baseball and hockey had a choice, they'd choose to eliminate their minor leagues and save millions of dollars. In the case of MLB, it's over $1 billion per year. That's $33 mil per year per team the owners would get to keep.

I promise you, if baseball and hockey had a choice, they'd choose to eliminate their minor leagues and save millions of dollars. In the case of MLB, it's over $1 billion per year. That's $33 mil per year per team the owners would get to keep.
Why don’t they have a choice?

I am watching Pitt football because I am an alumnus and fan of FBS college football.
What if Pitt eventually drops to a lower level? Say they decide they don't want to pay the players? Are you still watching Pitt games or watching the games of those that decide to pay players and be at the highest level?

Why in the world would the NFL create a farm system? They don't want to spend that kind of money.
An NFL farm system would allow teams to select players that have been at least playing when injuries necessitate replacing rostered players. Currently the league is essentially bringing players in off the street.

The best part of this is a coach can still get sanctioned by the NCAA for giving a kid a $30 hat and shirt or other similar cheap school swag on an official visit.

Insanity.

What if Pitt eventually drops to a lower level? Say they decide they don't want to pay the players? Are you still watching Pitt games or watching the games of those that decide to pay players and be at the highest level?
I won't watch Pitt unless they play at a level that allows them to play in the championship tourney. I will continue to watch FBS football if the players remain students, even if paid by the school.

An NFL farm system would allow teams to select players that have been at least playing when injuries necessitate replacing rostered players. Currently the league is essentially bringing players in off the street.
Umm, have you heard of the practice squad?

How many players is on an NFL’s practice squad? What do they do on the practice squad? The Steelers signed guys who were sitting at home and now they’re playing. What other professional league does that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT