ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is a mess

Your point remains one of ignorance. Washington got exactly what it wanted when it signed the contract. It said to DeBoer "you can leave with our blessing as long as we get paid $12 million". That payment is the antithesis of a "free agent".
Yep.
A "free agent" would be "free" to sign with any institution.
The buyout limits the universe of possibilities to only those who could afford to pay the buyout.

This has in fact been a huge factor in coaches jumping ship on a whim.

Reactions: NCPitt
So you also agree the coach is free to move , despite their contract
And no coach who wants to leave will stay because of a contract with a former team .
Just like I said .

I don’t give a crap what schools negotiate .
Coach will leave at anytime .
Players should have the same standard
LOL, you're being purposely obtuse.
Of course coaches can leave, under the terms of their contract.
The trick for them is to find a destination with the resources to pay the buyout.
Not everyone can.
If Nardawg wanted to bolt from Pitt and go back to Youngstown to coach in his hometown, he couldn't because YSU couldn't afford his buyout.
If he wanted to foot the bill, fine, but the contract and buyout clause would have to be settled before he could.

Yep.
A "free agent" would be "free" to sign with any institution.
The buyout limits the universe of possibilities to only those who could afford to pay the buyout.

This has in fact been a huge factor in coaches jumping ship on a whim.
And players can transfer without having to “pay” anything to leave.

And players can transfer without having to “pay” anything to leave.
Well, that's the rule now.
Theoretically the players are not currently being paid to play so why would they have to "pay"? They may forfeit NIL $$?

NIL is between the collectives and the player. I suppose they can have conditions regarding where they play, or they could follow the player? NIL is a shell game for pay for play, so who knows??

Well, that's the rule now.
Theoretically the players are not currently being paid to play so why would they have to "pay"? They may forfeit NIL $$?

NIL is between the collectives and the player. I suppose they can have conditions regarding where they play, or they could follow the player? NIL is a shell game for pay for play, so who knows??
I agree with you, but people have complained for years that coaches can come and go without issue whenever they want, while players were being punished with transfer rules. But coaches have buyouts that need to be paid to break the contract.

The new transfer rule makes it simple for players to leave without any repercussions, despite now being paid, even if by collectives. I can see some collectives clamping down a bit for players who are being paid by them and leave; like a prorated amount for the number of games played (if you opt out for any game), or if you transfer again, you forfeit some of the NIL money.

I agree with you, but people have complained for years that coaches can come and go without issue whenever they want, while players were being punished with transfer rules. But coaches have buyouts that need to be paid to break the contract.

The new transfer rule makes it simple for players to leave without any repercussions, despite now being paid, even if by collectives. I can see some collectives clamping down a bit for players who are being paid by them and leave; like a prorated amount for the number of games played (if you opt out for any game), or if you transfer again, you forfeit some of the NIL money.
Yes, maybe.
But seems with NIL, there is no structure or rules. It really is wide open and every man for himself.
Players who accept the $ do so a their own peril. Many players have been stiffed.

The entire landscape is in a chaotic state of flux and no one appears to have a handle on how to control it or fix it.

Yes, maybe.
But seems with NIL, there is no structure or rules. It really is wide open and every man for himself.
Players who accept the $ do so a their own peril. Many players have been stiffed.

The entire landscape is in a chaotic state of flux and no one appears to have a handle on how to control it or fix it.

“there is no structure or rules.”

This is exactly it.

It doesn’t matter. Someone is, and he has to find a job that will hire him and not only pay him the salary he wants, but also the buyout to be able to leave. Washington agreed to a buyout to allow him to leave.
So as noted -HE IS a FREE Agent, as I noted

Not only make as much money as possible, which is OK, but trample whomever and whatever to get there. That, to me, is the bigger problem. Take no prisoners in your zeal to acquire as much money as humanly possible, and if there is a human cost to somewhat else, so be it. That's the biggest change in society, to me. There is total disregard for the other guy. And I say/observe that as someone who has done very well. We are already seeing the fraying of society because of this attitude, and it's just going to get worse.
I guess I am different. Okay, part of it, I am comfortable. I do fairly well. But I never ever have gone for the biggest buck. I have purposely, especially at this point, not gone after the corporate officer position because I don't want all the grief that comes with it. Yes, I would like the money. But I am not wired to measure myself by my bank account or W2. Though again, I like nice things. But how many nice things does one need? I many lifetimes of comfort does someone need? If a company is turning a huge profit, why do they need to kill its own, raise more and take even more no matter what it crushes?

Yes, maybe.

So- the players now are able to take advantage the same way the coaches have ?

Coaches are making $8-10mil/ a year at top places
Even our mid coach is making nearly $6mil/ year .

But NOW college football seems chaotic ?

C’mon

I guess I am different. Okay, part of it, I am comfortable. I do fairly well. But I never ever have gone for the biggest buck. I have purposely, especially at this point, not gone after the corporate officer position because I don't want all the grief that comes with it. Yes, I would like the money. But I am not wired to measure myself by my bank account or W2. Though again, I like nice things. But how many nice things does one need? I many lifetimes of comfort does someone need? If a company is turning a huge profit, why do they need to kill its own, raise more and take even more no matter what it crushes?
Most folks don’t chase money
And that includes players as well
It’s about PT , location , exposure , etc
Not just money as some here love to pretend

So- the players now are able to take advantage the same way the coaches have ?

Coaches are making $8-10mil/ a year at top places
Even our mid coach is making nearly $6mil/ year .

But NOW college football seems chaotic ?

C’mon
Nah, you're right.
Everything is fine, totally copacetic.

The perfect solution is a system that provides 2 separate paths.
One would be the old way, the one we grew up with and support.
The one where athletes play for their school and are provided with a scholarship, room and board and a stipend to cover nominal expenses. The kids who value education and use their athletic prowess to finance that education would roost here.

The other would be an NFL farm system where the athlete signs with an NFL team and toils in their farm system until deemed ready to compete in the NFL.

The quality of play in the CFB model may not be up to current standards, but all things being relative, it would be competitive.

Face it, some of the athletes go to college because it is their only realistic path to being a professional. They have no interest in going to class or getting a degree, which is fine.

Scheming and plotting to keep these kids in meaningless classes just so they are eligible to play is blatant hypocrisy.

The obscene amount of $$ pouring into colleges and conferences is totally intoxicating to these institutions though, and they are more than happy to continue to distort the student/athlete myth as long as possible to keep the $$ flowing in.

This system works for baseball and hockey, and to a lesser extent the NBA. Only the NFL is getting off scott free in this current system.
And we are kind of heading there or are close to there, aren't we? Just these "minor league" teams have always been emotionally attached to a school. Right? Even here, how many Pitt fans on here never went to Pitt??

That's the problem, this 100 years of Notre Dame or Alabama or Michigan tradition. Where if these were minor league teams called the South Bend Saints or Tuscaloosa Titans or Ann Arbor Angels, it falls on the same interest as Fort Wayne in the D League or the Durham Bulls or baseball or the Wilkes Barre Scranton Pens. There are no national TV contracts to this. And even though the better talent might be in these leagues, the colleges will have more interest TV wise. I mean if the Adirondack Red Wings are playing the Hershey Bears or Boston College is playing Michigan in hockey, who is likely to be on a cable broadcast station?

Your objections are only because the players aren’t completely restricted and prevented from earning -
Only

Everything else is the same as it’s always been
You're arguing with yourself.
I'm all for the players getting paid, always have been. My issue is they should be paid by the universities and conferences instead of pawning the responsibility back onto the fans.

My point was coaches have contracts. They aren't "free agents" until that contract expires. When the contract is in force, if the coach wants to leave, the buyout clause has to be settled.

You fail to acknowledge that since coaches sometimes leave mid contract, which no one is arguing they don't, but if they do, the school they are leaving gets compensated according to the terms of the contract.
Now stop making me agree with NCPitt. That ruins my evening!

Most folks don’t chase money
And that includes players as well
It’s about PT , location , exposure , etc
Not just money as some here love to pretend
Yeah there are alot that do chase money. We know for a fact that the MLBPA frowns on any of its members not taking the biggest contract. That happens. Because it then sets the slotting for everyone else. But yeah, if I am making $250K, and some place say in Barnwell SC or Camden AR is offering me $275K a year, I ain't taking the job. Now if it is $500K, I have to really think about that and likely will bite the bullet for a couple of years.

You're arguing with yourself.
I'm all for the players getting paid, always have been. My issue is they should be paid by the universities and conferences instead of pawning the responsibility back onto the fans.

My point was coaches have contracts. They aren't "free agents" until that contract expires. When the contract is in force, if the coach wants to leave, the buyout clause has to be settled.

You fail to acknowledge that since coaches sometimes leave mid contract, which no one is arguing they don't, but if they do, the school they are leaving gets compensated according to the terms of the contract.
Now stop making me agree with NCPitt. That ruins my evening!

Well it’s illegal for schools to pay players - so there is no “compensation “ required by their transfer .

School’s revenues are not tied to individual players , so it’s a moot point .

And we all agree coaches will leave whenever without being actually restricted … which again means - the move freely .

So what exactly is so wrong and different about college football -
Other than your objections about players having freedom and getting a piece of compensation , again ?

Well it’s illegal for schools to pay players - so there is no “compensation “ required by their transfer .

School’s revenues are not tied to individual players , so it’s a moot point .

And we all agree coaches will leave whenever without being actually restricted … which again means - the move freely .

So what exactly is so wrong and different about college football -
Other than your objections about players having freedom and getting a piece of compensation , again ?
You're a goof, LOL
Making $hit up, and talking gibberish.
Note to self: STAY OFF THE FREE BOARD!

We're not all that much different.

They should have the same opportunity as the coaches - I agree.

But, what the NCAA should've done years ago is have the universities make these players employees and create divisions/conferences based upon $$ spent by school.

Let's face it, the majority of college athletes would've struggled to gain admission into these schools as a traditional student.

Make them employees, enroll them as non-traditional students give them educational benefits if they want to use like a college employee would have. Their job title - "entertainer".

Problem solved.

D1 conference example- say they capped salaries at 150k/year per player
  • Ohio State
  • Texas
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Texas A&M
  • Michigan
  • USC
  • Florida
  • Clemson
  • Notre Dame
Make all the other conferences based upon lower salary caps per player.
It seems like a logical step. The final shoe to drop will be when schools start "hiring" non-traditional students that left early for the NFL, washed out and still have eligibility.

Frankly, I don't really care anymore. I went from having season tix, going to every game, donating, having paid memberships to multiple fan sights to no longer going to games unless someone gifts me a ticket and only watching most televised games and occasionally perusing this free board. I'm spending more time and money with DIII ball these days.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Name one, please
There's the rub, right? Coaches wanted by other schools that can't/won't pay a buyout will never make the news. I guess you're saying that situation has never happened. I would say that the odds aren't in your favor.

I know tell me something new right ?

Was talking to a buddy and there’s a rumor that Smart may take the Atlanta Job. It appears the era of NIL has made the job that much harder for even elite schools like Bama Michigan and Georgia.

I’ve also heard that kids are demanding 5k just to go take an official visit.

College football has always been dirty. But when it was under the table the elite schools had a huge advantage. Now managing a roster is near impossible with the transfer rule and Nil. I think that’s why Saban called it quits and is why Harbaugh who on the surface has it made at Michigan is likely to walk

Should be an interesting off season between the pros and college ranks in terms of coaching moves

So NIL has weakened the powers, thereby creating more parity, and that’s evidence of how bad things are?

I don’t see how anything substantial has changed ,
Other than players actually having the same mobility now that coaches have always had
Coaches have buyouts on their contract. Players don't, so at least the university gets something from a coach leaving. Unless you are Pitt when Dixon left and let him out of paying the buyout.

Cam Ward just announced he is pulling his name from the draft and is coming back to college. The Ohio State rusher, who everybody had going pro, is coming back.

NIL is more equally dispersing talent.

It’s weakening the monopoly the same 2 to 3 teams have on the sport where they take turns just destroying everybody else.

It’s causing elite talents to come back for another year instead of going pro.

And all of this is bad?

Reactions: PittPharm2002
There's the rub, right? Coaches wanted by other schools that can't/won't pay a buyout will never make the news. I guess you're saying that situation has never happened. I would say that the odds aren't in your favor.
Because nobody wants a coach who doesn’t want to be there .
What is that coaches incentive ?
It’s a program killing thing to do

The one where athletes play for their school and are provided with a scholarship, room and board and a stipend to cover nominal expenses. The kids who value education and use their athletic prowess to finance that education would roost here.

The other would be an NFL farm system where the athlete signs with an NFL team and toils in their farm system until deemed ready to compete in the NFL.

The quality of play in the CFB model may not be up to current standards, but all things being relative, it would be competitive.

Face it, some of the athletes go to college because it is their only realistic path to being a professional. They have no interest in going to class or getting a degree, which is fine.

Scheming and plotting to keep these kids in meaningless classes just so they are eligible to play is blatant hypocrisy.

The obscene amount of $$ pouring into colleges and conferences is totally intoxicating to these institutions though, and they are more than happy to continue to distort the student/athlete myth as long as possible to keep the $$ flowing in.

This system works for baseball and hockey, and to a lesser extent the NBA. Only the NFL is getting off scott free in this current system.
Agree but the NFL is never going to give up their free minor league system And by the way since many kids would go the minor league route the talent pool for college would be much lower essentially making it the equivalent of FCS football. Some (not you) have said they’d never watch it. Lol.

A hybrid system would be to either give kids the option or cash or room and board. I just don’t see the point in making a kid whose only interest is in football get a worthless degree Maybe you allow the kids to be signed by the NFL and retain their rights for a few years to help provide the kid some cash as well.

You can still have transfers but any school that signs a kid who transfers has to pay a buyout just like coach’s. So the kids would have contracts and buy outs. Not perfect but would certainly slow down the free for all

Hate to break it to you, but NCAA D1 has essentially served as as minor league pro football for decades. The "rules" of that minor league required kids to be enrolled in classes, remain academically eligible, etc., and maybe it's time to bend or break those rules, but the NFL has used the NCAA as its free minor league for a long time.
Corporations have used universities as their minor leagues for a long time. Senior positions have used junior positions to prepare junior positions for senior positions for quite a few years. Adults have used childhood as a minor league for adulthood. It’s interesting that the junior ranks serve as a training ground for higher levels.

Why in the world would the NFL create a farm system? They don't want to spend that kind of money.

If the NFL would create a minor league system (which I think is impossible as I mention) then, with respect to your idea for the "old way," I'd be okay if they went even a step further and eliminated the athletic scholarships and made the kid have to pay to go to school. Then maybe they'd take the schooling a bit more seriously. The colleges can continue to have favorable admission slots for athletes and all that, but make them pay their way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT