ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big XII just got more real

That's not a reasonable argument. The point is that it only takes one day of luck to open up the tournament for the rest of the field.
It takes a lot a lot of luck. Pitt was the only non-ranked team to beat a future national champ after sept in the last 15 years...I mean yes top 10 teams can compete, and there will be an upset or two. But I guess it also depends on how the bracket is set up. If they reseed, it would make it that much harder. If the NCAA reseeded the basketball brackets after each round, a lot of the Cinderella stories would end quickly.

It takes a lot a lot of luck. Pitt was the only non-ranked team to beat a future national champ after sept in the last 15 years...I mean yes top 10 teams can compete, and there will be an upset or two. But I guess it also depends on how the bracket is set up. If they reseed, it would make it that much harder. If the NCAA reseeded the basketball brackets after each round, a lot of the Cinderella stories would end quickly.
It doesn't take much luck.

I'm not talking about non-ranked teams.

My whole argument is in response to another poster claiming only two or three teams have a shot a winning a national championship.

My argument is not that Cincinnati or Georgia Tech now have a chance. I'm saying that teams like Michigan, Clemson, Florida St., LSU, Southern Cal, and Tennessee have a chance, outside of Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio St. If Georgia got upset by LSU in the quarterfinals, for example, now you have an opening for those other teams I mentioned to make a run.

My argument is not that Cincinnati or Georgia Tech now have a chance. I'm saying that teams like Michigan, Clemson, Florida St., LSU, Southern Cal, and Tennessee have a chance, outside of Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio St.

Nobody has said otherwise. You’re just kinda arguing with yourself in this thread.

Word has come out on the media contract deals. $20M was not specifically mentioned, but that sounds about what it was. The deal was entirely Apple TV and “not good enough for teams with options”. However, the deal could surpass the Big 12 with escalator deals that are “extremely difficult” to hit based on subscribers to the service. They’re saying a decision will likely not be made today, but it’s looking like Arizona could/will be next to leave.

Edit: also, props to the guys like Mvher and Swaim. They hit it right on the head with this one.

Last edited:
Nobody has said otherwise. You’re just kinda arguing with yourself in this thread.
You said otherwise. You literally said only two or three teams had a shot to win the national championship. Then you brought up Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, and TCU, which I never mentioned.

You said otherwise. You literally said only two or three teams had a shot to win the national championship. Then you brought up Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, and TCU, which I never mentioned.

No. Other people brought up TCU and Cinn., and I responded to them.

Like I said, you seem to be in a world of your own in this thread.

No. Other people brought up TCU and Cinn., and I responded to them.

Like I said, you seem to be in a world of your own in this thread.
In your responses to me, you made TCU, Georgia Tech, and Cincinnati part of the discussion, not me. Those schools were never part of my argument. What you said to other posters is irrelevant.

In your responses to me, you made TCU, Georgia Tech, and Cincinnati part of the discussion, not me. Those schools were never part of my argument. What you said to other posters is irrelevant.

Wut?

You jumped in a discussion that stems from that. It’s one long continuous discussion.

This would be like if me and another person were arguing which one is greater between Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan. Another person said Ric Flair. You jumped in and said Macho Man. And I said Macho didn’t have title runs as long as the other 3 or weren’t as on top for nearly as long. And then you say, “why are you bringing up Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, or Ric Flair? I’m just talking about Macho Man.”

Wut?

You jumped in a discussion that stems from that. It’s one long continuous discussion.

This would be like if me and another person were arguing which one is greater between Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan. Another person said Ric Flair. You jumped in and said Macho Man. And I said Macho didn’t have title runs as long as the other 3 or weren’t as on top for nearly as long. And then you say, “why are you bringing up Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, or Ric Flair? I’m just talking about Macho Man.”
No. I made a comment (actually to another poster) about a very specific point. You can make a specifics points within a larger discussion.

Reactions: cashisking884
Arizona Board of Regents (who represent both Zona and Sparky) are meeting in one hour to discuss the deal. Could Arizona be on the move by tonight? Who knows.

Reactions: Dan1911
Word has come out on the media contract deals. $20M was specifically mentioned, but that sounds about what it was. The deal was entirely Apple TV and “not good enough for teams with options”. However, the deal could surpass the Big 12 with escalator deals that are “extremely difficult” to hit based on subscribers to the service. They’re saying a decision will likely not be made today, but it’s looking like Arizona could/will be next to leave.

Edit: also, props to the guys like Mvher and Swaim. They hit it right on the head with this one.
If you think they hit it right on the head, you are nuts. They mentioned nothing about tiered revenue, there is no dollar amounts by the legit guys, and the guys you mentioned have thrown out about 20 different scenarios.

If you want to believe them and fall for that, then go ahead. But again, go out and look at all of their realignment stuff.

PAC deal appears to be based on Apple streaming and subscriptions. It doesn’t sound great. I’m amazed they can’t find a decent deal.

If you think they hit it right on the head, you are nuts. They mentioned nothing about tiered revenue, there is no dollar amounts by the legit guys, and the guys you mentioned have thrown out about 20 different scenarios.

If you want to believe them and fall for that, then go ahead. But again, go out and look at all of their realignment stuff.
I meant to say “not specifically referenced” in my original post, so thank you for pointing that out. As for the tiered revenue, here’s Pete Thamel detailing the revenue tiers:

Edit: if you’re referring to the Twitter users I mentioned, I only threw them a bone because I was harping on them earlier but their previous Tweets lined up with what was reported today.

PAC deal appears to be based on Apple streaming and subscriptions. It doesn’t sound great. I’m amazed they can’t find a decent deal.

Yeah, this is a rough one. I mean, I guess they could be pioneers and maybe hit it off huge, but that is a BIG risk. And presidents are typically not risk takers.

So IMO, I see the Pac 12 days as numbered.

Doing it because you think it is the future and you want to be the first is one thing but doing it because it is your only real option is a tough sale.
How about the negative recruiting that will come out of this? Ohio State beat Oregon recently on a big commit and are battling for another.

How about the negative recruiting that will come out of this? Ohio State beat Oregon recently on a big commit and are battling for another.

Its simply incredible that Ohio State was able to beat Oregon for a recruit. Oregon might as well give up football

On the other hand, is the PAC paying the price for their alumni’s lifestyle? Saturday football is not as big out here. That lifestyle tax is where people out west spend more time outdoors and off the couch when compared to the football-obsessed sec and Big and the bad weather northeast?

Just thinking out loud. Saturday football is a religion in the South.

I think it is generous. This isn’t your grandpas college football. Teams may be spending massive amounts to win, but fan interest is declining. We have way more options for entertainment than even 5 to 10 years ago. Fewer and fewer people will keep tuning in to watch the same teams. Unless they create real parity with Bama, OSU and Georgia going 4-8 with non traditional challenging, it will get old real quick. Greed destroyed the sport.

Yeah, this is a rough one. I mean, I guess they could be pioneers and maybe hit it off huge, but that is a BIG risk. And presidents are typically not risk takers.

So IMO, I see the Pac 12 days as numbered.

Yea, if its $20 million stream-only, they are done. I thought it had to be $30 million and like half steaming. The American got $83 million per year in 2019. Hard to believe that in 2024, the P12 is only looking at $200 million per year.

Let’s say these numbers are right. If people aren’t as obsessed with football like they used to be , why is the BIG and SEC printing money??

Let’s say these numbers are right. If people aren’t as obsessed with football like they used to be , why is the BIG and SEC printing money??
For now…You can pay people something. It doesn’t mean it’s a wise business decision. If there was profit, Disney wouldn’t be shopping…

I can only assume the PAC schools are disillusioned/disappointed in the numbers. Is now the time for the ACC to strike? If we could guarantee them $30m without some goofy subscription tiers, would it work and would espn keep the league at 30ish mil per team if we add?

I think they took all of it. They'll pay for OSU, Mich, Bama, LSU, Texas, etc and figure the Indiana/Minnesota games are going to do any worse (and probably better) than any random P12, B12, or ACC game. The upper midwest and the southeast are college football.

I can only assume the PAC schools are disillusioned/disappointed in the numbers. Is now the time for the ACC to strike? If we could guarantee them $30m without some goofy subscription tiers, would it work and would espn keep the league at 30ish mil per team if we add?
Disney has 162 billion market cap. There unwillingness to go after big or sec is telling for future.

Disney has 162 billion market cap. There unwillingness to go after big or sec is telling for future.
They spent their money on talking heads programming (espn) nobody wanted to watch and saw their brand take a hit. They got political and alienated part of their audience. Their parent company is making horrible decisions re: movies and their parks are pricing people off of their properties. Their streaming service is hemorrhaging money. Otherwise, they’re on solid footing.

They spent their money on talking heads programming (espn) nobody wanted to watch and saw their brand take a hit. They got political and alienated part of their audience. Their parent company is making horrible decisions re: movies and their parks are pricing people off of their properties. Their streaming service is hemorrhaging money. Otherwise, they’re on solid footing.
Apple has 3 trillion and offered 20 mil a team…They could go after the SEC too.

They did go after the SEC, unless I’m misunderstanding you.

And they did put in an offer for the B1G, but Fox was going to limit their inventory and ABC didn’t want to pay $350M a year for a limited inventory, especially since they had already been planning on using their prime time slot on the SEC game of the week most weeks.

They did go after the SEC, unless I’m misunderstanding you.

And they did put in an offer for the B1G, but Fox was going to limit their inventory and ABC didn’t want to pay $350M a year for a limited inventory, especially since they had already been planning on using their prime time slot on the SEC game of the week most weeks.
I mean more if someone wants something bad enough they will get it. Apple likely wants to pilot expanding. West and PAC most sense with Apple users. Rural south is a much different demographic to market products and services to sell. There is a reason Buffet invests heavily in Apple. They aren’t ones to waste money.

Reactions: pittchagg
I mean more if someone wants something bad enough they will get it. Apple likely wants to pilot expanding. West and PAC most sense with Apple users. Rural south is a much different demographic to market products and services to sell. There is a reason Buffet invests heavily in Apple. They aren’t ones to waste money.
Oh, I understand. IIRC, the rumor last year was that the Big Ten was in deep negotiations with a streaming partner (don’t think it was ever specified whether it was Amazon or Apple) who had put in a big offer for the B1G package that eventually went to NBC.

Basically, whoever the streamer was had thrown big time money on the table and Warren wanted to accept, but the Presidents pushed back on putting actually valuable games on streaming. Like, Saturday primetime was what was being discussed. So they pivoted and NBC picked it up last minute, which resulted in some of the weirdness in their contract that was reported in May.

Warchant video interview with FSU board of trustees chairman.

He doesn't come out an say it directly, as to not "endanger what they are doing," but easy to read between the lines that FSU leadership is clearly intending to leave the ACC and doing everything they can do do so. Clear belief the financial gap is insurmountable and also think they can defeat the GOR in court, though there may be other legal issues. Clearly also believe they have a spot in the SEC or Big 10 lined up as soon as the timing is ready. Based on the comments I'd guess they are thinking of leaving in a time frame with in two to five years.

There are some things on the research side that seem a little unrealistic so I'm not sure they have realistic take on everything in athletics either, but it doesn't matter. Their minds appear to be made up. When the university leadership is all but openly pursing a way out, it might as well be over. You can't keep the band together with schools doing that, and honestly, it probably wouldn't matter if ESPN match the SEC's money tomorrow.

Last edited:

He doesn't come out an say it directly, as to not "endanger what they are doing," but easy to read between the lines that FSU leadership is clearly intending to leave the ACC and doing everything they can do do so. Clear belief the financial gap is insurmountable and also think they can defeat the GOR in court, though there may be other legal issues. Clearly also believe they have a spot in the SEC or Big 10 lined up as soon as the timing is ready. Based on the comments I'd guess they are thinking of leaving in a time frame with in two to five years.

There are some things on the research side that seem a little unrealistic so I'm not sure they have realistic take on everything in athletics either, but it doesn't matter. Their minds appear to be made up. When the university leadership is all but openly pursing a way out, it might as well be over. You can't keep the band together with schools doing that, and honestly, it probably wouldn't matter if ESPN match the SEC's money tomorrow.

Just watched it and he is very confident that they will win in court. Also IMO they are eying up the BIG with the AAU work they are putting in.

Just watched it and he is very confident that they will win in court. Also IMO they are eying up the BIG with the AAU work they are putting in.
The Big Ten doesn't require AAU status for membership, so let's cross that off right now. It is a nice to have, not required, as any positive academic label would be.

But his comments about growing research so quickly is what is unrealistic. He talking about just starting to do medical research and thinks they'll build a building and grow it enough in 5 years to get AAU status. That's not likely realistic. Then again, I'm not quite sure how UC Riverside got in, but no one becomes a powerhouse at getting NIH grants overnight.

Last edited:

I have called for Disney to raise its park pricing for years. It was too crowded. They absolutely needed to price people out.

There was a great article on the GOR being based on a 115 year old Supreme Court case. Of course FSU is saying they will defeat it. Are they going to say otherwise. They are going for a settlement. And I say, no settlement. Take them to court, win and the ACC can keep their home games until 2036. But even if FSU was assured they would lose in court, they would still leave without rights to their home games if a P2 would have them.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT