ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Championships Thread

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
With the Washington win, FSU is in serious trouble.

Michigan has a bye so they are in.

Washington is in.

The SEC Champ is in.

If Alabama is the SEC Champ, you cant put them in over a 12-1 Texas team who beat them in Tuscaloosa. Texas would 100% be in over Bama. So do you leave out the SEC Champ and put in an FSU team who stupidly played their star QB against a D3 team?

This is just my personal opinion, but I refuse to believe that a 13-0 P5 conference champion should be barred from the playoffs, regardless of who’s at quarterback.

In fact, I think they’d be even more deserving of a spot if they defeat Louisville with a third string QB, depending on the status of Tate Rodemaker.

If one-loss Alabama or Texas wanted to make the CFP, they should’ve considered not losing to Oklahoma and Texas.

This is just my personal opinion, but I refuse to believe that a 13-0 P5 conference champion should be barred from the playoffs, regardless of who’s at quarterback.

In fact, I think they’d be even more deserving of a spot if they defeat Louisville with a third string QB, depending on the status of Tate Rodemaker.

If one-loss Alabama or Texas wanted to make the CFP, they should’ve considered not losing to Oklahoma and Texas.

13-0 FSU
12-1 Bama
12-1 Texas

Pick 2

Reactions: HailToPitt725
How does the Washington win put them in any more trouble than they would have been in if Oregon won? One of those teams was getting in.

FSU might be down to their 3rd string QB, so it might sort itself out, but...

1) They are three spots ahead of Texas, and they play a team ranked higher. So if both teams win, they will obviously remain ahead of Texas. Zero suspense there.

2) The only suspense happens if Alabama beats Georgia in a close game and FSU wins ugly. But I still think FSU gets in with a win.

With the Washington win, FSU is in serious trouble.

Michigan has a bye so they are in.

Washington is in.

The SEC Champ is in.

If Alabama is the SEC Champ, you cant put them in over a 12-1 Texas team who beat them in Tuscaloosa. Texas would 100% be in over Bama. So do you leave out the SEC Champ and put in an FSU team who stupidly played their star QB against a D3 team?
If FSU wins, then they should get in. They are only a 1-point favorite, so they very well might lose and it won’t matter.

Also, I don't agree that Texas would unequivocally have to be in over Bama. Bama is one spot behind them as over today, but they would be picking up a much better win.

I get that Texas beat them head to head, but Texas also has a worse loss. I mean I hope they would take Texas; I just don't think they will. Maybe if Texas romps OK State and Alabama wins a cheapie (if there is such a thing against Georgia).

How does the Washington win put them in any more trouble than they would have been in if Oregon won? One of those teams was getting in.

FSU might be down to their 3rd string QB, so it might sort itself out, but...

1) They are three spots ahead of Texas, and they play a team ranked higher. So if both teams win, they will obviously remain ahead of Texas. Zero suspense there.

2) The only suspense happens if Alabama beats Georgia in a close game and FSU wins ugly. But I still think FSU gets in with a win.

I think you can make a better case for 13-0 FSU vs 12-1 Oregon. Oregon had an easy P12 schedule

I’d 100% go with 13-0 FSU and 12-1 Texas.

IMO, Georgia would not deserve to be in the CFP if they lose the SEC Championship, and the argument of 12-1 Alabama vs 12-1 Texas was already decided on the field in September.

Michigan vs Texas
FSU vs Washington

That would be pretty interesting, actually. Not exactly non-household names, but kind of new blood considering where we've been lately.

Also, I don't agree that Texas would unequivocally have to be in over Bama. Bama is one spot behind them as over today, but they would be picking up a much better win.

I get that Texas beat them head to head, but Texas also has a worse loss. I mean I hope they would take Texas; I just don't think they will. Maybe if Texas romps OK State and Alabama wins a cheapie (if there is such a thing against Georgia).
We’re on the same page here, but it’s interesting to go down the “better loss” rabbit hole in this scenario. Could you argue that logic actually benefits the Longhorns since the reason why Alabama has the better loss is because it came against Texas?

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
I think you can make a better case for 13-0 FSU vs 12-1 Oregon. Oregon had an easy P12 schedule

Oregon was #5. A win over #3 means they displace them in the top 4.

I don't agree with Oregon having been #5 (I would have had them at #8), but they're not starting from scratch every week like some people want to believe. If #5 beats #3, they are in and #3 is out.

We’re on the same page here, but it’s interesting to go down the “better loss” rabbit hole in this scenario. Could you argue that logic would actually benefit the Longhorns since the reason why Alabama has the better loss is because it came against Texas?

Well if Alabama would move ahead of Georgia, you could even argue that Texas has the best win of the year. The top four teams would have one loss, and Texas would have caused it. That's unless they say beating #5 on a neutral site is above beating #4 at home. Either way, there are moving variables in this which make it completely subjective and silly.

They effed up the rankings. Texas won head to head and their loss to OU wasnt "bad" They should have always been higher than Bama...and Oregon who was way too high for a team lacking a great win

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
They effed up the rankings. Texas won head to head and their loss to OU wasnt "bad" They should have always been higher than Bama...and Oregon who was way too high for a team lacking a great win

I always view head to head as just another game, because I think certain matchups just benefit some teams. But then they contradict that anyway by assigning more weight the the conference championships (which I guess is fine, because it at least has an objective flavor).

There honestly are no right or wrong answers, which is why it's stupid. I prefer objective methods. And yeah... Oregon was way overrated. They got a huge benefit for smashing teams that people thought were good at the time but turned out to be soup cans that just backloaded their schedules.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I always view head to head as just another game, because I think certain matchups just benefit some teams. But then they contradict that anyway by assigning more weight the the conference championships (which I guess is fine, because it at least has an objective flavor).

There honestly are no right or wrong answers, which is why it's stupid. I prefer objective methods. And yeah... Oregon was way overrated. They got a huge benefit for smashing teams that people thought were good at the time but turned out to be soup cans that just backloaded their schedules.

I personally put a ton of weight on head to head. I cant think of a better way to settle a "who is better" argument than the 2 teams playing each other. I understand that sometimes the best team doesnt win but instead of using subjectivity, we have a game where one team won and lost. But, hey, that's me. I had Clemson in the NCAAT for annihilating NC State 3 times but the committee felt their loss in early November to Loyola Chicago was more important than beating a like team 3 times.

No, you leave out Georgia. not even conference champ, 2nd place in their conference LEAVE GEORGIA OUT, put in all the unbeaten P5 Champions. In this scenario, Georgia had their chance, win and in, and blew it F them. Actually, if Texas wins, I leave Bama out too, put Texas in, because I respect head-to-head more than any BS eye test nonsense.

Reactions: USN_Panther
If FSU wins they are in. They simply are not ever going to leave out an undefeated P5 conference champion in favor of a one loss team. And if the one loss team didn't even win their conference there isn't even going to be a discussion on those two teams.

Reactions: FireballZ
13-0 FSU
12-1 Bama
12-1 Texas

Pick 2
FSU and Texas. Can't pick Bama over a Texas team that beat them and an undefeated power five champ should be in unless there are five undefeated power five conference champs. Otherwise why even play the season.

Reactions: Pitt79
If I were a member of the CFP committee then this is how I'd vote

1. Number of wins
2. Conference championship
3. Head to head
4. Strength of schedule
5. Best win
6. "Best" loss

If Bama, FSU, Texas, and Mich all win then I'd go 1. Mich 2. Wash 3. FSU 4. Texas

Doesn't matter though. No way the committee keeps out a 1-loss SEC champ. Just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: PITT 76

1. Number of wins
3. Head to head
4. Strength of schedule
5. Best win
6. "Best" loss

If Bama, FSU, Texas, and Mich all win then I'd go 1. Mich 2. Wash 3. FSU 4. Texas

Doesn't matter though. No way the committee keeps out a 1-loss SEC champ. Just isn't going to happen.
I’m pretty much with you. We have 2 more dominoes to fall. If UGA and FSU win, no debate on who the 4 in are.

If BAMA and FSU win, Mich/Wash/FSU should be a no brainer and it just comes down to BAMA or Texas.

I’d have to go with Texas based on the H-to-H win. There just aren’t enough good OOC matchups between the P5 conferences to put much weight on the SEC or any other conference over another. UGA played absolutely no one OOC so I don’t see how a BAMA win over them counts more than Texas’ win over BAMA just because it’s the SEC.

The fun would really start if Iowa pulls the miracle upset and FSU loses.

Assuming Washington, Georgia, and Texas were safely in who would get the final spot? I’m assuming it would be between a Michigan team coming off a horrible loss or an OSU team that just lost to Michigan head to head.

1. Number of wins
3. Head to head
4. Strength of schedule
5. Best win
6. "Best" loss

Having no SEC teams at all makes them look more legitimate, makes it look like football games actually matter.

First off power conferences should matter, and if you go unbeaten in a power conference nothing should keep you out, not injuries, not eye tests nothing. unless there are more than 4 unbeaten P5 champs.

Next if Texas and Bama are then next up in contention, both 12-1 P5 champs, then boom! Hands down, TEXAS IN - BAMA OUT, too logical to even explain, Texas BEAT Bama head to head, so yeah, it would be totally justified to have ZERO SEC teams this year if Michigan, FSU and Washington are all unbeaten P5 champs and the next bid is between Texas and Bama if Bama wins, Texas clearly wins the tie breaker, Bama and Georgia OUT, TOTALLY DESERVED!

The fun would really start if Iowa pulls the miracle upset and FSU loses.

Assuming Washington, Georgia, and Texas were safely in who would get the final spot? I’m assuming it would be between a Michigan team coming off a horrible loss or an OSU team that just lost to Michigan head to head.
Your scenario obviously is assuming UGA beats Bama. Then I’d agree it comes down to Michigan and OSU. I don’t know how you could put OSU in sitting at home this weekend and having just lost to Michigan last week.

More interesting is if Bama wins. That puts Bama, Washington and Texas in. Who gets the 4th between Michigan and UGA having both lost today. It would probably be UGA based on a tougher loss and SEC in general but practically there wouldn’t be much separating the 2, neither with an OOC win of significance. Michigan beating UNLV the best of the lot.

If Bama wins it would be hard to keep them out I feel like, but if FSU and Michigan win then it comes down to them and Texas, and they lost to them.

Your scenario obviously is assuming UGA beats Bama. Then I’d agree it comes down to Michigan and OSU. I don’t know how you could put OSU in sitting at home this weekend and having just lost to Michigan last week.

More interesting is if Bama wins. That puts Bama, Washington and Texas in. Who gets the 4th between Michigan and UGA having both lost today. It would probably be UGA based on a tougher loss and SEC in general but practically there wouldn’t be much separating the 2, neither with an OOC win of significance. Michigan beating UNLV the best of the lot.
I just think that perception wise Michigan would be in big trouble with a loss today. Fair or not Iowa has become something of a national joke with their offensive struggles, a loss to them would be very hard to overcome.

In the end I would expect a 1 loss Georgia to get in over a 1 loss Michigan.

Having no SEC teams at all makes them look more legitimate, makes it look like football games actually matter.

First off power conferences should matter, and if you go unbeaten in a power conference nothing should keep you out, not injuries, not eye tests nothing. unless there are more than 4 unbeaten P5 champs.

Next if Texas and Bama are then next up in contention, both 12-1 P5 champs, then boom! Hands down, TEXAS IN - BAMA OUT, too logical to even explain, Texas BEAT Bama head to head, so yeah, it would be totally justified to have ZERO SEC teams this year if Michigan, FSU and Washington are all unbeaten P5 champs and the next bid is between Texas and Bama if Bama wins, Texas clearly wins the tie breaker, Bama and Georgia OUT, TOTALLY DESERVED!
I completely agree. I just doubt that the committee will feel the same way.

Future ACC member SMU is 30mins away from winning the American Conference championship and potentially playing in a NY6 bowl (depending on how they and Liberty would finish). A very formidable program joining our conference next season.

I remember staying up until 1am to watch Colorado State upset Boise State on a Hail Mary a few months ago, and the Broncos proceeded to fire Andy Avalos. Fast forward to Dec. 2 and they just became the first FBS program with an interim head coach to win a conference championship game.

Personally, I would never leave an undefeated P5 team out. If they haven't lost yet, who can possibly say they can't win the whole thing?

Therefore, if the PAC, B10, and ACC have unblemished champions, they should be in.

Yes, Texas did lose one in a rivalry game (OKLA) by a one score margin. However, they did defeat Alabama ( at Alabama)., and they beat them by 2 scores.

On my ballot, undefeateds MICH, FL ST, and WASH would be joined by TEXAS in the playoffs.

Yes, the SEC and several media members would bitch and moan. So what? If you want to be assured a spot, you've got to win them all.

The SEC is a great conference, but I don't think teams should be rewarded based on reputation. They need to earn it.

Reactions: FireballZ
Even the SEC shills in the CBS studio think that if Florida State wins they are in ahead of both Alabama and Georgia if Alabama maintains it's lead, and that Texas should be ahead of Alabama no matter what.

I wonder if Alabama does win, if on the post game show they will have been "nudged" to change their minds?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT