ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Expansion: Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC?, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
I would be for WVU joining the ACC, i accept others will differ with no disrespect intended!
First Choice:
1. Notre Dame 15th
2. Texas 16th
3. WVU 17th
4. Temple 18th
5. UCincy 19th
6. Vanderbilt 20th
Excerpt:
Notre Dame:

Before we dive into the long list of suitors that will be knocking on the ACC’s door as soon as the search process begins, let’s get one thing out of the way: Notre Dame will be a full-member of the conference eventually. Thanks to the new grant of rights announced after the ACC Network became official last summer, ND will be a member of the ACC in all sports (minus football) until at least 2036. It also stated that if the Irish were to cease their gridiron independency, they would be contractually bound to the ACC until that year as well. The new revenue from the ACC Network won’t be enough to have Notre Dame bail on its freedom and NBC contract by itself, but as Stewart Mandel said last Julyas the years go by in college football’s rapidly changing structure — one where a four-team playoff and a selection committee have supplanted polls and bowls in importance — Notre Dame may eventually conclude that independence is no longer a viable route. Especially given one of the committee’s primary points of emphasis is … winning your conference.” Notre Dame’s relative mediocrity over the last couple of years hasn’t caused this to be a problem just yet, but the moment ND goes 10-2/11-1 and is left out of the CFP in favor of a Pac-12 conference champ, everything is going to hit the fan. I’d put it at a fairly high chance that happens before 2025 (The NBC contract ends that year) and the conversations will advance pretty quickly from there. That being said, Notre Dame will eventually be a member of the ACC in football, it’s just a matter of who else joins them and when.

Temple
Pros: Coming off back-to-back 10-4 seasons and an AAC conference title, Temple Football is in about as good a place as it has ever been. The Owls have gone 58-43 since 2009, which is far better than their all-time 42% win percentage dating back to 1894. The 32 NCAA basketball appearances also would go along well the ACC’s recent theme of adding schools with strong histories in the sport. The 32 tourny bids would rank 6th in the ACC behind just UNC, UL, Duke, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. Philadelphia’s media market is also one of the 10th biggest in the US and that never hurts when it comes to expansion resumes.
Cons: Despite being one of the larger schools on this list and located in one of the best sports towns in the country, Temple’s national brand is fairly weak overall. The school is heavily overshadowed in its own city by Villanova and in the state in general by Penn State and Pitt. It struggled mightily to make its strong 2016 football season count on the recruiting trail, finishing outside the Top 100 on Rivals and dead last in the AAC. That along with head coach Matt Rhule departing for Baylor likely means this glory period of Temple football will be over soon, if it’s not already.
The Verdict: The school has the size and hometown of a Power 5 program, but leaves a lot to be desired in almost everything except basketball tradition. Athletic revenues of sub $40 million for a university this size is a major red flag, and ultimately I think Temple might be one of the biggest losers at the end of this next wave of expansion.

Cincinnati
Pros: Cincinnati offers a really interesting combination of a large student body, top 30 market, and extremely strong revenue sports. At 33,000 undergraduates, UC is one of the biggest universities in the midwest and is located in a region that is untapped by the current ACC. The school has also been to the NCAA Tournament 7 straight years under the leadership of Mick Cronin and reached a bowl game 9 out of the last 11. The school was one of the few casualties of the Big East’s demise, but that means it has a history with a number of current ACC teams. Its biggest rivalry is the Keg of Nails against Louisville, which was played 53 times between 1929 and the Cards’ Big East departure in 2014. Cincy leads the series 30-22 all-time.
Cons: There’s a few cons to Cincinnati, but they aren’t nearly as devastating as some of the drawbacks other schools mentioned above had. Despite posting a relatively strong decade in both revenue sports, Cincinnati’s national brand still leaves a little to be desired. The school also received under $5 million in athletic related contributions last year from fans, corporations, and donors. That was 2nd to last in the conference only above USF.
The Verdict: On the map, the ACC has already expanded to Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Kentucky. That leaves a glaring whole in the state of Ohio for the conference to try and expand its northern presence into a fairly large media market. The Bearcats won’t be out of the P5 for long, and will certainly be one of the top schools on watch.

West Virginia
Pros: The Mountaineers are virtually a “Louisville twin” in its expansion candidacy if it ever decides to pursue options outside of the Big XII (Note: Likely). Its football and basketball programs are consistently in the Top 25 and carry a national brand with them wherever they go. Its fan support is one of the best in the country, and its 58000 per game would rank 1st vs fellow expansion candidates and 5th in the ACC behind Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami. The school also brought in $90 million in revenue last year, $26 million of which was in contributions (which is 6 million more than UNC and Clemson and 9 million more than VT).
Cons: If West Virginia were in the AAC and actively looking for a new conference, this would be a whole lot easier of a transaction. The problem is it isn’t, and pretty much every Power 5 league from ocean to ocean will be looking to add WVU if the Big XII eventually falls apart. Leaving anytime before the Big XII’s Grant of Rights ends in 2025 would lead to forfeiture of conference revenue (Est: $43 million by end of contract). This is especially important when considering West Virginia finally just received its 1st full year of Big XII revenue after having to wait 3 years in the conference as part of the on-boarding process. The main threat here is that both the Big Ten and SEC gave back $32.7 and $32.4 million to their league members last year in revenue, which is a gap of about $6 million more than what the ACC offers currently. Considering West Virginia could be forfeiting Big XII money and has not received its full conference share for the past 3 years, the biggest payday to compensate the losses will surely not come from the ACC.
The Verdict: If the SEC is also looking to expand at the same time the ACC does, they’ll be able to offer a far more enticing financial package to WVU simply based on projected revenues. The timing would have to be just right for the Mountaineers to be ACC bound, but anything can happen in the Wild, Wild West of expansion season.
LINK:
http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/4...ng-which-schools-could-end-up-joining-the-acc

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
I would be for WVU joining the ACC, i accept others will differ with no disrespect intended!
First Choice:
1. Notre Dame 15th
2. Texas 16th
3. WVU 17th
4. Temple 18th
5. UCincy 19th
6. Vanderbilt 20th
Excerpt:
Notre Dame:

Before we dive into the long list of suitors that will be knocking on the ACC’s door as soon as the search process begins, let’s get one thing out of the way: Notre Dame will be a full-member of the conference eventually. Thanks to the new grant of rights announced after the ACC Network became official last summer, ND will be a member of the ACC in all sports (minus football) until at least 2036. It also stated that if the Irish were to cease their gridiron independency, they would be contractually bound to the ACC until that year as well. The new revenue from the ACC Network won’t be enough to have Notre Dame bail on its freedom and NBC contract by itself, but as Stewart Mandel said last July “as the years go by in college football’s rapidly changing structure — one where a four-team playoff and a selection committee have supplanted polls and bowls in importance — Notre Dame may eventually conclude that independence is no longer a viable route. Especially given one of the committee’s primary points of emphasis is … winning your conference.” Notre Dame’s relative mediocrity over the last couple of years hasn’t caused this to be a problem just yet, but the moment ND goes 10-2/11-1 and is left out of the CFP in favor of a Pac-12 conference champ, everything is going to hit the fan. I’d put it at a fairly high chance that happens before 2025 (The NBC contract ends that year) and the conversations will advance pretty quickly from there. That being said, Notre Dame will eventually be a member of the ACC in football, it’s just a matter of who else joins them and when.

Temple
Pros: Coming off back-to-back 10-4 seasons and an AAC conference title, Temple Football is in about as good a place as it has ever been. The Owls have gone 58-43 since 2009, which is far better than their all-time 42% win percentage dating back to 1894. The 32 NCAA basketball appearances also would go along well the ACC’s recent theme of adding schools with strong histories in the sport. The 32 tourny bids would rank 6th in the ACC behind just UNC, UL, Duke, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. Philadelphia’s media market is also one of the 10th biggest in the US and that never hurts when it comes to expansion resumes.
Cons: Despite being one of the larger schools on this list and located in one of the best sports towns in the country, Temple’s national brand is fairly weak overall. The school is heavily overshadowed in its own city by Villanova and in the state in general by Penn State and Pitt. It struggled mightily to make its strong 2016 football season count on the recruiting trail, finishing outside the Top 100 on Rivals and dead last in the AAC. That along with head coach Matt Rhule departing for Baylor likely means this glory period of Temple football will be over soon, if it’s not already.
The Verdict: The school has the size and hometown of a Power 5 program, but leaves a lot to be desired in almost everything except basketball tradition. Athletic revenues of sub $40 million for a university this size is a major red flag, and ultimately I think Temple might be one of the biggest losers at the end of this next wave of expansion.

Cincinnati
Pros: Cincinnati offers a really interesting combination of a large student body, top 30 market, and extremely strong revenue sports. At 33,000 undergraduates, UC is one of the biggest universities in the midwest and is located in a region that is untapped by the current ACC. The school has also been to the NCAA Tournament 7 straight years under the leadership of Mick Cronin and reached a bowl game 9 out of the last 11. The school was one of the few casualties of the Big East’s demise, but that means it has a history with a number of current ACC teams. Its biggest rivalry is the Keg of Nails against Louisville, which was played 53 times between 1929 and the Cards’ Big East departure in 2014. Cincy leads the series 30-22 all-time.
Cons: There’s a few cons to Cincinnati, but they aren’t nearly as devastating as some of the drawbacks other schools mentioned above had. Despite posting a relatively strong decade in both revenue sports, Cincinnati’s national brand still leaves a little to be desired. The school also received under $5 million in athletic related contributions last year from fans, corporations, and donors. That was 2nd to last in the conference only above USF.
The Verdict: On the map, the ACC has already expanded to Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Kentucky. That leaves a glaring whole in the state of Ohio for the conference to try and expand its northern presence into a fairly large media market. The Bearcats won’t be out of the P5 for long, and will certainly be one of the top schools on watch.

West Virginia
Pros: The Mountaineers are virtually a “Louisville twin” in its expansion candidacy if it ever decides to pursue options outside of the Big XII (Note: Likely). Its football and basketball programs are consistently in the Top 25 and carry a national brand with them wherever they go. Its fan support is one of the best in the country, and its 58000 per game would rank 1st vs fellow expansion candidates and 5th in the ACC behind Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami. The school also brought in $90 million in revenue last year, $26 million of which was in contributions (which is 6 million more than UNC and Clemson and 9 million more than VT).
Cons: If West Virginia were in the AAC and actively looking for a new conference, this would be a whole lot easier of a transaction. The problem is it isn’t, and pretty much every Power 5 league from ocean to ocean will be looking to add WVU if the Big XII eventually falls apart. Leaving anytime before the Big XII’s Grant of Rights ends in 2025 would lead to forfeiture of conference revenue (Est: $43 million by end of contract). This is especially important when considering West Virginia finally just received its 1st full year of Big XII revenue after having to wait 3 years in the conference as part of the on-boarding process. The main threat here is that both the Big Ten and SEC gave back $32.7 and $32.4 million to their league members last year in revenue, which is a gap of about $6 million more than what the ACC offers currently. Considering West Virginia could be forfeiting Big XII money and has not received its full conference share for the past 3 years, the biggest payday to compensate the losses will surely not come from the ACC.

The Verdict: If the SEC is also looking to expand at the same time the ACC does, they’ll be able to offer a far more enticing financial package to WVU simply based on projected revenues. The timing would have to be just right for the Mountaineers to be ACC bound, but anything can happen in the Wild, Wild West of expansion season.
LINK:
http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/4...ng-which-schools-could-end-up-joining-the-acc

IMO, the one that makes the sense if ND refuses is UCONN. They fit academically, they're on the east coast, thus
fitting the Atlantic Coast moniker. Their basketball is very good, and the girls are off the charts. Football is good enough and would improve with entrance into the league. They also represent a very good tv market, not just Hartford, but ALL of Connecticut.

the CFP will expand to 8 teams. if notre dame doesnt go into a multi year tailspin they will be a solid candidate to get to the 8 in many seasons....

the chance of them going to any conference is almost nill.

IMO, the one that makes the sense if ND refuses is UCONN. They fit academically, they're on the east coast, thus
fitting the Atlantic Coast moniker. Their basketball is very good, and the girls are off the charts. Football is good enough and would improve with entrance into the league. They also represent a very good tv market, not just Hartford, but ALL of Connecticut.
BC hates them, I am upset that Rutgers wasn't taken with Pitt, Cuse & WVU to the ACC. Or that there was a merger in 2003. I also would bring in Penn State but they won't leave money in the Big Ten. I still think they go to 16 to 18 teams Four Conferences. I don't follow it anymore. ESPN Demise may revise many things. I look for someone to buy ESPN soon from Disney. I also see the University's creating a For Profit League without the NCAA, NCAA no longer controls the CFB Playoffs. Just March Madness Tourney.

Everyone has an opinion. I just think ND & UTEXAS being added would create value equal to SEC & BIG-10!

Last edited:
I'd LOVE WVU in the ACC. I LOVE THEIR FANS, a lot of them are my family members, THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE... Love them. I miss the JOINT Pitt/WVU tailgates we used to have Thanksgiving weekend!

And ND, I'd tell them join or get out, sick of catering to their assssez.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
wvu and cincy would be my pick. well ND and texas if we are not worried about actually living on earth but since we will limit ourselves to actual possibilities, cincy and wvu.

I hate vandy for the simple reason that they have the worst basketball court ever. pitt could be playing the NC game on that stage they call a court and I still wouldnt' watch it. whoever thought that was a good idea needs punched in the face..

Personally I'd want ND and WVU. With UConn being a backup

But the ACC isn't going to expand unless it does include ND.
I just don't see why ND would go that route.. I heard since the late 90's how they will eventually be squeezed into a conference, how they will be left out and forced to join. not seeing it now, not seeing in ever. don't ask me why but ND calls their own shots. trust me, it annoys me and again, I don't know why but it is what it is. if they join a conference, their alumni base goes ape s***.. If it ever happens with ND, it just makes too much sense for them to go big 10.

WVU is a no brainer, I think Cincy steps in from day one and competes in football and hoops. I have no clue about their Olympic sports, not sure anyone cares to much about that.

I just don't see why ND would go that route.. I heard since the late 90's how they will eventually be squeezed into a conference, how they will be left out and forced to join. not seeing it now, not seeing in ever. don't ask me why but ND calls their own shots. trust me, it annoys me and again, I don't know why but it is what it is. if they join a conference, their alumni base goes ape s***.. If it ever happens with ND, it just makes too much sense for them to go big 10.

WVU is a no brainer, I think Cincy steps in from day one and competes in football and hoops. I have no clue about their Olympic sports, not sure anyone cares to much about that.

Oh, I agree, ND isn't going to join in FB unless they absolutely have to, which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future.

Hence why I don't think the ACC is expanding. IMO, they aren't expanding w/o ND, and ND isn't joining anytime soon.

Notre Dame- obvious, it's gonna happen eventually

West Virginia- if Big XII breaks up, we could pick them up with ND to create a super Conference. FSU and Clemson could force this past the Tobacco Road

Texas, OU, KU- joining with ND to form hypothetical 18 team super conference.

Cincinnati, UConn, UCF/USF- only way they join is if the conference gets poached.

Only scenarios I see happening.

Oh, I agree, ND isn't going to join in FB unless they absolutely have to, which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future.

Hence why I don't think the ACC is expanding. IMO, they aren't expanding w/o ND, and ND isn't joining anytime soon.
the rumor mill on the internet is starting back up, specific to the big 12 mainly. article yesterday about how a few teams and especially sooner nation wants out. no basis of course, could be just made up stuff on a slow news day, who knows. My question is, everyone supposedly wants out because of no network and how texas has their own but texas wants out too. What's texas' problem? I mean in regards to football, not machete wielding students. They seem to have their cake and can eat it too, why are they belly aching?

the rumor mill on the internet is starting back up, specific to the big 12 mainly. article yesterday about how a few teams and especially sooner nation wants out. no basis of course, could be just made up stuff on a slow news day, who knows. My question is, everyone supposedly wants out because of no network and how texas has their own but texas wants out too. What's texas' problem? I mean in regards to football, not machete wielding students. They seem to have their cake and can eat it too, why are they belly aching?

Yeah, that was all based on Paul Fienbulm interview and he said it's all based on rumors. I don't buy it right now.

I don't think Texas wants out for the reasons you state. I think OU would possibly want out for the reasons you state, but isn't going to force anything right now.

Other than ND joining with Texas, I think Notre Dame IF they decide to join would be able to pick the 16th member of the ACC Conference.

I would not be totally surprised if Notre Dame would want/insist Navy be included as the 16th member. The state of Maryland would once again be part of the ACC Conference.

Thoughts

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Other than ND joining with Texas, I think Notre Dame IF they decide to join would be able to pick the 16th member of the ACC Conference.

I would not be totally surprised if Notre Dame would want/insist Navy be included as the 16th member. The state of Maryland would once again be part of the ACC Conference.

Thoughts

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I think the ACC would pick who they feel is the best member at 16.

"Panthergrowl13, post: 1887405, member: 1182"]Other than ND joining with Texas, I think Notre Dame IF they decide to join would be able to pick the 16th member of the ACC Conference.
Texas is the one of few Programs that can go Independent and still make big money. However, they will prefer to be in a Conference. They work with well with good relationship with ND as told to me by some Boosters at both Schools. There was talk many years ago about joining the PAC-12 but that has subsided. They do care for A&M and will reject SEC I am told. This leaves the Big Ten and ACC?

The ACC has ND committed for the future and ND does not feel Big Ten is a great fit size wise and have rejected many offers from Jim Delany. Swofford is on record that only two Schools that have Standing Invitations anytime for the ACC and they are ND & Texas.

Big Ten will counter offer Big Bucks to both of them, but the fact remains ND-TEXAS together will bring Big Bucks to the ACC too with their Programs and Boosters Support!

I would not be totally surprised if Notre Dame would want/insist Navy be included as the 16th member.
I don't, ND can always play them every year and always will, due to what Navy did by putting ROTC on ND that saved their University in WWII! Navy is ND OOC always.

The state of Maryland would once again be part of the ACC Conference.
Don't see it happening. UMD & Rutgers can't leave Big Ten Money! And if ACC gets ND to get TEXAS, the ACC won't either!

Thoughts
Big-12 will break up, CFB Playoff Committee Power Conferences will absorb and go to 16 to 18 teams and later For Profit League under University Non-Profits!

If anyone sees WVU President Gee at Cathy, Charlotte, or Bama, or near the ND Dome, let us know, that will be a tell-tell sign & tale! Saban is a West Virginia Native Favorite Son?

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Ditto!:cool:

Last edited:
Even if it was a condition of Notre Dame joining now full time for football.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

IMO, the ACC will do what is best for the ACC, and if they don't feel Navy is a good fit, ND will remain indy in FB and they will stay at 14 teams.

In the end though, IF and that is a big IF ND every joins, I think they will work with the ACC to build the best conference possible whether that includes Navy or not.

College football has changed dramatically since the 90s. Back then, Notre Dame had a premier TV contract with NBC. They were making more money than the rest. Now, that contract has been eclipsed by the major conferences. Notre Dame being independent puts them at a disadvantage in the playoffs. It's not like the BCS, which had specific language to include Notre Dame. They also don't have a major bowl tie in. The only thing they have is a deal with the Orange Bowl, which is not guaranteed.

The problem with this, aside from money, is the effect on recruiting. The P5 teams can give recruits a better path to the playoffs, and the opportunity to win conference championships. Notre Dame fans say they don't care about winning a conference. Problem is, 18-year-old recruits do.

Regarding the Big Ten, it made sense for Notre Dame in 1990. In today's landscape, it doesn't.

From a recruiting standpoint, I think Pitt is much better off without WVU in the ACC. It seems like there have not been nearly as many recruiting battles since we parted ways, and it has seemed to work in Pitt's favor.

I also think that UConn, Cincy, USF and the like are small potatoes in this game. Unless we NEED 18 and they are the only ones left, no thanks. I would actually think that UConn would be having internal discussions about whether they should move football back to 1AA so that they can rejoin the BE for basketball. I see UCF as an exception because of the size of the school, but Miami and FSU would never let that happen. Temple and Memphis may also intrigue me if I am forced to cherry pick a group of 5 team.

IF expansion happens, I check and double-check whether ND (for full membership - unlikely), Texas, Oklahoma, Ok St. and Kansas are interested. If we are assuming that P5 conferences other than the Big 12 are in play, which I doubt, I kick the tires on PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy, Tennessee, Northwestern, and maybe Illinois and Indiana.

the CFP will expand to 8 teams. if notre dame doesnt go into a multi year tailspin they will be a solid candidate to get to the 8 in many seasons....

the chance of them going to any conference is almost nill.

The next contract will be 8 teams with 5 auto bids for the P5 champ game winners. I wouldn't bet on ND joining at that point but also think its somewhat of a possibility.

Team #16 could be:

- Navy (if ND demands it) for football-only

- Temple (if they have a new stadium)

- UConn

- UCF/USF

- Cincinnati

From a recruiting standpoint, I think Pitt is much better off without WVU in the ACC. It seems like there have not been nearly as many recruiting battles since we parted ways, and it has seemed to work in Pitt's favor.

I also think that UConn, Cincy, USF and the like are small potatoes in this game. Unless we NEED 18 and they are the only ones left, no thanks. I would actually think that UConn would be having internal discussions about whether they should move football back to 1AA so that they can rejoin the BE for basketball. I see UCF as an exception because of the size of the school, but Miami and FSU would never let that happen. Temple and Memphis may also intrigue me if I am forced to cherry pick a group of 5 team.

IF expansion happens, I check and double-check whether ND (for full membership - unlikely), Texas, Oklahoma, Ok St. and Kansas are interested. If we are assuming that P5 conferences other than the Big 12 are in play, which I doubt, I kick the tires on PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy, Tennessee, Northwestern, and maybe Illinois and Indiana.
that's the question, or fear. does wvu being in the acc conference open the door for them to get back into Pittsburgh as well as back into those mid atlantic/ dc metro areas as far as recruiting..

There is a perception, real or mythical, that they are in a "texas" league and well, not really relevant here. would that change? Would that hurt pitt, adding another competitor... all questions based on a premise that I am not sure even exists to be honest.. with wvu, I see a lot of signees from ohio, Maryland and florida. similar as before they went to big 12. I do see some Kansas and Texas signees so that is probably an advantage they'd lose..

they never really seemed to be that much of a factor in the wpial. sure they got a couple but never to the point of a psu, osu or Michigan.

that's the question, or fear. does wvu being in the acc conference open the door for them to get back into Pittsburgh as well as back into those mid atlantic/ dc metro areas as far as recruiting..

There is a perception, real or mythical, that they are in a "texas" league and well, not really relevant here. would that change? Would that hurt pitt, adding another competitor... all questions based on a premise that I am not sure even exists to be honest.. with wvu, I see a lot of signees from ohio, Maryland and florida. similar as before they went to big 12. I do see some Kansas and Texas signees so that is probably an advantage they'd lose..

they never really seemed to be that much of a factor in the wpial. sure they got a couple but never to the point of a psu, osu or Michigan.

WVU is doing just fine, more than fine. They are recruiting the DMV, Ohio, and Fla just as in their Big East days. They'll be fine unless they end up in the American.

Reactions: Swervin27
Now wait a cotton pickin minute!

WVU fans assured us that the ACC would be the conference on the brink of failure by now. This can't be right at all Captain.

Their fantasies will be coming to an end soon...

I listened to Sirius Radio College Sports yesterday, Paul Finebaum declared that the Big 12 will be dead in 5 years. He knows for a fact one of the teams is looking to get out as soon as possible (Oklahoma). This coming on the heels of the Big 12 having only 14 players chosen in the recent NFL Draft. That's right, FOURTEEN.

SEC - 53

ACC - 43

PAC 12 - 36

BIG TEN - 35

AAC - 15

BIG 12 - 14

As for who I realistically want to round out the ACC to 16 members: ND and Cincinnati.

ND for obvious reasons and Cincinnati for TV's and a new market... WVU doesn't bring dick... No TV's, No market share, No academics..... All they bring are burnt couches and bad breath...

Reactions: Gary77 and Saboteur
"IF expansion happens, I check and double-check whether ND (for full membership - unlikely), Texas, Oklahoma, Ok St. and Kansas are interested. If we are assuming that P5 conferences other than the Big 12 are in play, which I doubt, I kick the tires on PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy, Tennessee, Northwestern, and maybe Illinois and Indiana."

Nice thought, but probably not going to happen... Big Ten has 13 schools right now. They could pick 3 more... (Kansas, K-St, Iowa St.)

PAC-12 has 12 schools and could take 4 more schools ( Texas, TT, TCU, Baylor)

SEC has 14 schools and could take 2 more... (Oklahoma, OKST)

WVU and the Dude are left out in the cold. They bring NOTHING... They are a glorified East Carolina team...

Last edited:
Now wait a cotton pickin minute!

WVU fans assured us that the ACC would be the conference on the brink of failure by now. This can't be right at all Captain.
"Oh, it Be"...................How does one know? The Dude either died or disappeared the day Jim Delany of the Big ten had a big frown on his face when it was announced ACC added GOR & ND signed it!!!!

Maryland Huffed & Puffed but by the end of Bluffs & Stuffs Big Ten Loan UMD Predicament Loh the money needed making him feel Low after ACC just kept the Money Maryland Owned and is now Penn State's Problem keeping recruits they used to get!

Oh, Loh It Be!

Reactions: pittdan77
The next contract will be 8 teams with 5 auto bids for the P5 champ game winners. I wouldn't bet on ND joining at that point but also think its somewhat of a possibility.

Team #16 could be:

- Navy (if ND demands it) for football-only

- Temple (if they have a new stadium)

- UConn

- UCF/USF

- Cincinnati

If that happens, Notre Dame has to join a conference. They would simply have no other choice. If not, they become a mid major.

However, 8 isn't happening. ESPN is the one putting up all the money, and you see the problems they are having now. The ratings have not materialized as expected. Plus, aside from Ohio St vs. Alabama, all the other playoff games have been duds. The need for 8 teams hasn't been proven at this point.

If that happens, Notre Dame has to join a conference. They would simply have no other choice. If not, they become a mid major.

However, 8 isn't happening. ESPN is the one putting up all the money, and you see the problems they are having now. The ratings have not materialized as expected. Plus, aside from Ohio St vs. Alabama, all the other playoff games have been duds. The need for 8 teams hasn't been proven at this point.
Waiting for you to show up and bring info with you, good job as always!

Their fantasies will be coming to an end soon...

I listened to Sirius Radio College Sports yesterday, Paul Finebaum declared that the Big 12 will be dead in 5 years. He knows for a fact one of the teams is looking to get out as soon as possible (Oklahoma). This coming on the heels of the Big 12 having only 14 players chosen in the recent NFL Draft. That's right, FOURTEEN.

SEC - 53

ACC - 43

PAC 12 - 36

BIG TEN - 35

AAC - 15

BIG 12 - 14

As for who I realistically want to round out the ACC to 16 members: ND and Cincinnati.

ND for obvious reasons and Cincinnati for TV's and a new market... WVU doesn't bring dick... No TV's, No market share, No academics..... All they bring are burnt couches and bad breath...
And STDs.

WVU is doing just fine, more than fine. They are recruiting the DMV, Ohio, and Fla just as in their Big East days. They'll be fine unless they end up in the American.

We should hire their Athletic Director and their whole department, they have been far superior at athletics the last 20 years. I'm not ripping Pitt, I'm just telling the truth.

WVU is definitely resilient and their athletic successes are impressive given all their inherent disadvantages of geography, demographics, population, reputation, etc.

Pitt seems to have so many more advantages in comparison that should help our athletics and doesn't take full advantage.

All the "disengaged fan base and alumni" might be real but is due to administrative bungling. Blaming pro sports in Pittsburgh is actually a joke because the rabid over the top success of those winning teams shows what potential there is for Pitt in our region if it managed its own revenue sports properly. Pitt regularly leaves steak on the table while WVU fights, claws and scrounges for rancid table scraps.

If so many of their fans weren't so outright disgusting, no nicer word, they'd be easy to root for (now that this ridiculous system removes us as rivals).

Reactions: Saboteur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT